ADVERTISEMENT

Really cool story on Corey Booker's (mediocre) football career at Stanford

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...eo-2020-presidential-election-new-jersey.html

Was a top 25 national prospect, NJ Gatorade POY (I don't remember him, must have been recruited by PSU but no mention), then he rode the bench at Stanford, just never played because there were better players (It was the Bill Walsh/Dennis Green era).

When Green declined to invite him back for his fifth year, someone suggested he apply for a Rhodes scholarship, so he ended up at Oxford.

Reactions: step.eng69
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...eo-2020-presidential-election-new-jersey.html

Was a top 25 national prospect, NJ Gatorade POY (I don't remember him, must have been recruited by PSU but no mention), then he rode the bench at Stanford, just never played because there were better players (It was the Bill Walsh/Dennis Green era).

When Green declined to invite him back for his fifth year, someone suggested he apply for a Rhodes scholarship, so he ended up at Oxford.

Sounds like he was processed.

He was a Parade All American from North Jersey. Pretty good player but not quite top notch. But going to Stanford was a good move for him. Not sure if there was any interest from PSU but he "fell in love with Stanford when he visited." (His words).

As a politician, I think he's a real a**, who is over-the-top theatrical and combative.

Sounds like he was processed.

No, the 5th year scholarship is not guaranteed, it's always the option of the school. Only people who are going to be significant contributors are invited back for the 5th year -- and that's true at all schools, and it's been true at least since the 85 scholarship limit was put in place in the '80s.

I have no opinion about him as a presidential candidate but hard to argue he's not a quality human being. You don't see too many top Division 1 football players become class president at Stanford, win Rhodes scholarships and later on get elected to the US Senate.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPC FAN
No, the 5th year scholarship is not guaranteed, it's always the option of the school. Only people who are going to be significant contributors are invited back for the 5th year -- and that's true at all schools, and it's been true at least since the 85 scholarship limit was put in place in the '80s.

The 85 limit was enacted in 1992.

The 85 limit was enacted in 1992.

That's true, but prior to 1992 the notion that a scholarship extension represented a temporal commitment by the school had even less meaning than it does more recently.

To clarify, the 2nd year schollie is not guaranteed. schollies are 1 year deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT