ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment: Official Penn State to ACC thread: “You gotta be sh&$; me”

Why is that an appealing schedule to you?

What about other sports that would suffer greatly (hockey, wrestling)?
Never been a big fan of the Big 10, outside of OSU and UM, could really care less about the rest of the league honestly on a year in year out basis. A chance to play hated ND every yr, top one or two program in Clemson yearly and not to mention bringing the rivalry of Pitt back, hell yes I'd take that. As for the other sports, I personally don't care that much about Hockey or Wrestling, Football drives all of this, as it should.. OSU and UM aren't going anywhere so it's a moot point anyway..

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV
Never been a big fan of the Big 10, outside of OSU and UM, could really care less about the rest of the league honestly on a year in year out basis. A chance to play hated ND every yr, top one or two program in Clemson yearly and not to mention bringing the rivalry of Pitt back, hell yes I'd take that. As for the other sports, I personally don't care that much about Hockey or Wrestling, Football drives all of this, as it should.. OSU and UM aren't going anywhere so it's a moot point anyway..
It is interesting that you think your personal preferences should drive PSU conference affiliation.

Notre Dame will never join a conference, your thinking there is flawed.

Clemson is obviously very good now, but keep in mind they had ZERO ten win seasons between 1991 and 2010. The are a newcomer and it won't last.

if there really are going to be four mega conferences, and the ACC is the Eastern one, they will at some point have discussions with PSU and Maryland about switching.

if there really are going to be four mega conferences, and the ACC is the Eastern one, they will at some point have discussions with PSU and Maryland about switching.
They won't be able to offer PSU enough $$ to switch. So unless the Big Ten blows up (which seems very, very unlikely) this won't happen.

Reactions: step.eng69
They won't be able to offer PSU enough $$ to switch. So unless the Big Ten blows up (which seems very, very unlikely) this won't happen.
Not today, no. But if everything blows up and there are four conferences with like 30 teams each, and they are the one in the East... that would be a much different world.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Not today, no. But if everything blows up and there are four conferences with like 30 teams each, and they are the one in the East... that would be a much different world.

That's 120 teams. Lot of mouths to feed, lot of which won't carry their weight (pardon the mixed metaphor).

The first thing the ACC ought to do is try to get ND to become a full football member. Then things start to get interesting.

ND will end up in the B1G when the realignment is all done. They only joined the ACC because it was willing to give them partial membership. And because it is currently easier to get to 10 wins there

Reactions: bison13
ND will end up in the B1G when the realignment is all done. They only joined the ACC because it was willing to give them partial membership. And because it is currently easier to get to 10 wins there

Don't necessarily disagree. But if the ACC wants the cash and a major seat at the table it needs both ND and PSU. Without both it's no better off and without ND PSU would be foolish to join.

Was reading today that contractually ND would have to join ACC if they decide to join a conference all-in. Not sure how long they are legally required to honor that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Was reading today that contractually ND would have to join ACC if they decide to join a conference all-in. Not sure how long they are legally required to honor that.

Sounds almost unenforceable. Just have the new conference buy off the ACC. Not much they can do to stop it.

Sounds almost unenforceable. Just have the new conference buy off the ACC. Not much they can do to stop it.
🤷‍♂️

Its media rights contract is structured so that, if it decides to join a conference at any point before 2036, it must be the ACC.

🤷‍♂️

Its media rights contract is structured so that, if it decides to join a conference at any point before 2036, it must be the ACC.

Don't think it's a media rights deal, rather an agreement with the ACC.

Would Penn State raise ACC wrestling, or would ACC bring our wrestling down? Don’t care if it’s niche - we are the Alabama of wrestling. Would hate to see that impacted, even though ACC wrestling is much improved. If we were to move - stipulate all members maintain a wrestling program. Lol. Don’t think the Deep South schools even have wrestling (Clemson, Miami, F$U)

I don't suppose you could cut and paste.....it's a subscriber story and I am not subscribed to Pennlive.

I use Chrome to open it on my phone. I then choose "show simplified view" at the bottom and it shows the entire article without any ads. It works on a surprising number of sites.

Notre Dame is smart. Texas is not.

Texas doesn't have a money problem. They have a winning problem and moving to the SEC doesn't solve that problem. In fact, it makes it worse.

Would Penn State raise ACC wrestling, or would ACC bring our wrestling down? Don’t care if it’s niche - we are the Alabama of wrestling. Would hate to see that impacted, even though ACC wrestling is much improved. If we were to move - stipulate all members maintain a wrestling program. Lol. Don’t think the Deep South schools even have wrestling (Clemson, Miami, F$U)
Clemson had Division 1 wrestling until it was cancelled in 1994. There was $$ raised by former varsity wrestlers to start up a men’s and women’s program...it was strongly being considered, that was 2 years ago. No longer being discussed -Covid cited as a major reason + some internal stuff. The dad of a kid one of my boys plays lacrosse with wrestled for Clemson in the early 90’s. Would they revisit a varsity wrestling program with penn state ACC bound?

I don't see that happening. There is very little point (competitively) to have a conference with even 20 teams, let alone 30.

Reactions: nits74
Notre Dame is smart. Texas is not.

Texas doesn't have a money problem. They have a winning problem and moving to the SEC doesn't solve that problem. In fact, it makes it worse.
This is a really good point.

Texas is flush with cash. They even have their own network (Longhorn Network, although I'm not sure how many $$ that actually bring to the university).

They are barely competitive in the Big 12 which is not nearly as competitive as the SEC.

Why would they want to join the SEC? (other than to piss off TAMU...haha)

I don't know as much about OU finances, but they have pretty much dominated the Big 12 over the past decade. Unless they are strapped for cash, why would they want to go to the SEC where the competition would be MUCH harder.

Is it possible this is just a ploy both both schools to pressure the Big 12 to give them an unequal share of revenues? I think I read that those two schools are 40% of the Big 12 market share. Maybe they each want 1/5 of the revenue rather than 1/10? (I had to google how many teams are in the Big 12)

Is it possible this is just a ploy both both schools to pressure the Big 12 to give them an unequal share of revenues? I think I read that those two schools are 40% of the Big 12 market share. Maybe they each want 1/5 of the revenue rather than 1/10? (I had to google how many teams are in the Big 12)
I think it's highly possible that they do not actually intend to join the SEC. It could be a tactic for some other move they want to make instead.

Reactions: PSUfiji and PSU2UNC
Could be, this conference stuff is sports version of soap operas.

It's also not remotely close to as important as how the media spins it.

Go back to the early 2000s and the Big East (!) was the premier college football conference in the land. It doesn't even exist anymore. And its former members aren't operating at the same level either.

Go back to the early 2000s and the Big East (!) was the premier college football conference in the land. It doesn't even exist anymore. And its former members aren't operating at the same level either.
I think that you could make the argument that this is potentially the biggest shift in CFB history. We are a few chess moves away from the implosion of possibly three major CFB conferences.

I think that you could make the argument that this is potentially the biggest shift in CFB history. We are a few chess moves away from the implosion of possibly three major CFB conferences.
I have seen "the biggest shift in CFB history" several times now, and I'm not that old

they are going to eventually make a shift that causes everyone to stop watching, and I would argue they have already started down that path with a playoff that has the same exact teams every single year

I think Texas and OU think this move will help them with recruiting and winning. The Big 12 does not have a lot of respect and they figure if they go to the SEC then they could get two teams in with the current format and probably at least 4-5 when it goes to 12. They like those odds better than sticking around in the weak Big 12. There is also more TV money for them in the SEC. The money is probably more enticing to OU than UT since UT has their own network and has the biggest endowment after Harvard.

As for PSU, they are not leaving the B10.

I think it's highly possible that they do not actually intend to join the SEC. It could be a tactic for some other move they want to make instead.
Nostradamus = fairfaxlion?

The Big East was NEVER the premiere CFB conference anywhere. It had 1 great and 1 other good team and it never was a big time money player. It was the top basketball conference at one time but basketball doesn’t pay.

It is interesting that you think your personal preferences should drive PSU conference affiliation.

Clemson is obviously very good now, but keep in mind they had ZERO ten win seasons between 1991 and 2010. The are a newcomer and it won't last.
Never say never, especially since they've been able to gas light everyone about their importance and are affiliated with 2 confs.

Clemson is a powerful force right now it would take a coach the magnitude of Charlie Weiss to ef it up.
But hey Miami and FSU both did so there is a precedent.

The Big East was NEVER the premiere CFB conference anywhere. It had 1 great and 1 other good team and it never was a big time money player. It was the top basketball conference at one time but basketball doesn’t pay.
I would say it was in 2001 or 2002. There was a year when half the conference was top 20 and the two at the top were top 5 or top 10. Not saying it lasted long. It didn’t.

I would say it was in 2001 or 2002. There was a year when half the conference was top 20 and the two at the top were top 5 or top 10. Not saying it lasted long. It didn’t
Not quite. In 2001 and 2002, Miami was 1 and 2. In each of those years it had three other teams in the Top 25, but the highest ranked was 14.

He asked "My" opinion, so he got it, you have yours, great, as for ND, with the landscape changing I wouldn't say never and as of now they are in the ACC.. Clemson was never this elite I agree, but a damn good solid program for yrs. FSU and UM will bounce back imho as well..

Don't necessarily disagree. But if the ACC wants the cash and a major seat at the table it needs both ND and PSU. Without both it's no better off and without ND PSU would be foolish to join.
The Big East imo would still be alive and well had it not spurned PSU yrs ago..

ADVERTISEMENT