ADVERTISEMENT

Real to Hawks

I honestly have no idea how it works. I would love for someone to explain.
It's partly sarcasm. Schools can't offer NIL deals, so when an athlete or someone says, I don't have an NIL deal with Iowa, it means nothing. Cenzo is spot on. The bag of cash comes from a private person or entity connected with the university. That's who is contacting athletes long before they enter the portal. It's a complete sh&t show. Then the bidding starts.

It's partly sarcasm. Schools can't offer NIL deals, so when an athlete or someone says, I don't have an NIL deal with Iowa, it means nothing. Cenzo is spot on. The bag of cash comes from a private person or entity connected with the university. That's who is contacting athletes long before they enter the portal. It's a complete sh&t show. Then the bidding starts.
Is there anyone regulating any of it? Making sure they really are getting paid for their N, I or L and not just to wrestle for the school?

Is there anyone regulating any of it? Making sure they really are getting paid for their N, I or L and not just to wrestle for the school?
That's the problem. In what should have been demanded, that Congress handle this, the NCAA was gutless and everything went state by state. The absolute antithesis of a level playing field. In its rush to get something done, PA screwed the pooch. So, it's basically a 50 state free for all.

Because, couldn’t we otherwise just all form the Penn State Message Board Stay Where You Are Association (“PSMBSWYAA”’for short) and pay guys to not transfer when they get NIL offers from Iowa and Michigan and Ok St, etc.?

Reactions: hlstone
A very clumsy effort by Iowa. They should have taken a lesson from Ryan on how to poach a Stanford AA.

Even though McKenna was already rolling around in their room he didn't announce for the Buckeyes right away. He at least gave the appearance of looking around.

By Woods announcing just a few days after entering the portal ... with do not contact ... how can anyone not suspect it was a fait accompli?

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
A very clumsy effort by Iowa. They should have taken a lesson from Ryan on how to poach a Stanford AA.

Even though McKenna was already rolling around in their room he didn't announce for the Buckeyes right away. He at least gave the appearance of looking around.

By Woods announcing just a few days after entering the portal ... with do not contact ... how can anyone not suspect it was a fait accompli?
McKenna rolled around in Lehigh's room before he did in Ohio State's room.

this is a distinction that doesn't really matter. letting a guy with dean's credentials come in to compete with beard is "over recruiting." doesn't matter who initiated contact. cael could have said "sorry, we already have the best 197 in the country and he's my guy."

but guess what? over recruiting is good and cael's job is to make the team better. he thought dean could make the team better and said welcome aboard. the hysteria about over recruiting from hawkeye fans the last 10 years when psu did it was just cope. it was pathetic. and it's cope when you're doing right now because the hawks picked up a good wrestler.

it's sports guys. this happens in ncaa football and basketball every single year on every single team. the only reason it doesn't happen more in wrestling is the scholarship limit, not some sense of honor.
I can't for the life of me think why I need to cope with Woods going to Iowa.

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I think most coaches are honorable men. They are also smart enough to know that turning portal/NIL opportunities into a free for all is not in the long-term interest of the sport.

The wrestling community is fairly close-knit and I suspect they will begin to police themselves along with the people around them.

It seems to me that a coach (Rob Koll*) could call another coach (Scott Goodall*) and say, "Hey ... did you know your people are trying to recruit one of my AA"? Then said coach (Goodall) would put a stop to it.

Well ... okay, maybe not. But at least, in theory, it could work this way.🤷‍♂️

*Names are chosen at random.;)

Last edited:
We should start a BWI LLC and start raising money to buy athletes. I am sure collectively by the time Bo Bassett wants to commit we should have a few million for him

Maybe someone should have offered Lee a bag to jump to 149

this is a distinction that doesn't really matter. letting a guy with dean's credentials come in to compete with beard is "over recruiting." doesn't matter who initiated contact. cael could have said "sorry, we already have the best 197 in the country and he's my guy."

but guess what? over recruiting is good and cael's job is to make the team better. he thought dean could make the team better and said welcome aboard. the hysteria about over recruiting from hawkeye fans the last 10 years when psu did it was just cope. it was pathetic. and it's cope when you're doing right now because the hawks picked up a good wrestler.

it's sports guys. this happens in ncaa football and basketball every single year on every single team. the only reason it doesn't happen more in wrestling is the scholarship limit, not some sense of honor.
I think Googles was only pointing out that PSU did not actively recruit him. "Recruitment is the process of actively seeking out, finding and hiring candidates for a specific position or job."

I think Googles was only pointing out that PSU did not actively recruit him. "Recruitment is the process of actively seeking out, finding and hiring candidates for a specific position or job."
who cares? cael signed a guy to take the place of a returning aa. that's over-recruiting. real woods also reached out to brands first. grew up going to hawkeye meets and training in the iowa room. fulfilling a dream to wrestle in front of 15k people. i guess that doesn't count either.

who cares? cael signed a guy to take the place of a returning aa. that's over-recruiting. real woods also reached out to brands first. grew up going to hawkeye meets and training in the iowa room. fulfilling a dream to wrestle in front of 15k people. i guess that doesn't count either.
How many dreams did Woods have?

IMO you guys are getting fed a line about that. Much like how every Philadelphia athlete must perform ritual obeisance before the fans.

How many dreams did Woods have?

IMO you guys are getting fed a line about that. Much like how every Philadelphia athlete has to perform ritual obeisance before the fans.
he was constantly in the room all through high school on training visits with izzy. there's a reason he called brands and there's a reason tom was on a flight out to california the next day. and there's a reason why the two schools that always came up as possible transfer destinations for real were Iowa and Michigan. Strong Izzy/Montini connections.

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I think most coaches are honorable men. They are also smart enough to know that turning portal/NIL opportunities into a free for all is not in the long-term interest of the sport.

The wrestling community is fairly close-knit and I suspect they will begin to police themselves along with the people around them.

It seems to me that a coach (Rob Koll*) could call another coach (Scott Goodall*) and say, "Hey ... did you know your people are trying to recruit one of my AA"? Then said coach (Goodall) would put a stop to it.

Well ... okay, maybe not. But at least, in theory, it could work this way.🤷‍♂️

*Names are chosen at random.;)
In all honesty, I would love to believe this, I just do not.

he was constantly in the room all through high school on training visits with izzy. there's a reason he called brands and there's a reason tom was on a flight out to california the next day. and there's a reason why the two schools that always came up as possible transfer destinations for real were Iowa and Michigan. Strong Izzy/Montini connections.
And when he chose his original school, he made an entirely different choice.

BTW, had he chosen Michigan with the Izzy connections, something less than 15k fans, right?

Iowa is an appealing program AND its fans got fed a line. Both.

You should probably stop

d1c05ba7-4553-441e-a18b-1ab71bd03140_text.gif

Not all fires are the same when attempting to put them out.

Just stop with the over-recruiting bullsh&t, because that's what it is. That's as dumb as saying free agency is overreaching. A coaches job is to win. Get over it. Iowa has zero room to talk, especially the sh&t hole board you come from.

Just stop with the over-recruiting bullsh&t, because that's what it is. That's as dumb as saying free agency is overreaching. A coaches job is to win. Get over it. Iowa has zero room to talk, especially the sh&t hole board you come from.
JS has said on multiple occasions he has no problem with it and that it is the coach’s job to do so. He’s just hanging on to the semantics to try and get a rise out of you.

this is exactly my point actually. psu fans critiquing iowa for it are being stupid.

JS has said on multiple occasions he has no problem with it and that it is the coach’s job to do so. He’s just hanging on to the semantics to try and get a rise out of you.
And yet he likes your post. He owns his semantics which is not needed. It's disingenuous as hell.

this is exactly my point actually. psu fans critiquing iowa for it are being stupid.

I think there is too much effort being put into the defense of this.

When it comes to posters - yes, we have people on here that are doing the same thing with this situation, so I get the desire to jump in and point out what is a reasonable take. But I'm sure you'll agree that is a wasted effort. But this is just anonymous message board posters - yeah, there are a few Ironturds and Bushwoods everywhere.

So if your point is that it's the same both ways, I - and probably 95% of the other posters here - agree to an extent. The one difference I do see - and I take pleasure in pointing out - is the mental gymnastics required for the reasons (cheating) that Iowa is no longer the #1 program anymore and the "higher moral ground" taken by not only the "bad apple" anonymous posters but also by a few significant boosters who don't hide their identities and have connections to the program. And throw in the fact that Tom drops some pearls from time to time that are either playing to his immediate base or byproducts of his competitiveness - or maybe both -

yeah, well let's just say "It's not the way we would have handled it." So, I know this whole thing sounds smug as hell and is probably just an infuriating attitude for many Iowa fans, but it is also immensely satisfying to be able to scoff at all the efforted defenses being put forth by many right now. Whether they are reasonable or not. Yours usually are, but I have to say that the Real grew up dreaming of wrestling Carver thing is not your finest hour. Ha.

Last edited:
No one at Stanford finds any of this funny, comical, or sarcastic. This is reality at Stanford and soon to be elsewhere.

Reactions: Ski and mcpat
Don't get snarky with me. You can't own your own board and the constant lies it continues.
With all this bag money, maybe one of these days a young kid from McCourt having invested the money into BTC, saw it grow exponentially, will buy rivals from Yahoo and thus own the board(s).

Reactions: Hotshoe
I still love how I am so angry by using caps what a joke let me know when you can hear a sound on here?unless your watching a video?I will say I am mellower than anyone on this site.even if you dont believe it well thats your choice!I know your all just joking!

Reactions: 82bordeaux
With all this bag money, maybe one of these days a young kid from McCourt having invested the money into BTC, saw it grow exponentially, will buy rivals from Yahoo and thus own the board(s).
Looks like lots of changes are coming to "the boards." Some will no longer exist.

• Sad
Reactions: dunkej01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT