ADVERTISEMENT

Real to Hawks

I don't know why anybody would be upset because a kid legally got his hands on some serious cash. As far as the impact it has on recruiting and competitive balance. PSU will develop the studs they get better than other programs will develop their studs. 32 vs (11, 10, 9, 7) speaks volumes. The NIL finances may make a short term difference in recruiting but in 4 years when those numbers are 45+ vs (14, 12, 10, 8) the elite recruits will figure out go win a couple championships first and collect the NIL money later.

Max Dean was 2nd in the country as a sophomore. .... Over recruiting made sense there. If we were rebuilding, I would’ve probably said stick with Beard.

If Iowa had a legitimate chance of the team title Id agree with you. This feels like 2016-17 when we were murdering everybody and Iowa was loading up with all the Pennsylvania kids. You knew they’d be a threat the year after NickAl and Nolf graduated. That’s not the case this year.

In this instance, I don't think the phrase "over recruiting" is appropriate.

Dean initiated contact and was given no guarantees. He had to win the spot, and there was a real risk he that he wouldn't.

I don't think the phrase "over recruiting" is appropriate - at all.

Dean initiated contact and was given no guarantees. He had to win the spot, and there was a real risk he that he wouldn't.
And his freaking team and league didn’t wrestle or practice for two freaking years and wasn’t clear if they would in the coming year. But yeah - otherwise the same.

In this instance, I don't think the phrase "over recruiting" is appropriate
If the goal is to create and maintain a negative recruiting stereotype, then it's wholly appropriate. I think it is pretty transparent that is its purpose.

Not much different in my eyes than:
  • Iowa makes its wrestlers hate wrestling.
  • Iowa training and stlye leads to more injuries.
  • Ohio State can't teach its wrestlers to escape bottom.

In this instance, I don't think the phrase "over recruiting" is appropriate.

this is a distinction that doesn't really matter. letting a guy with dean's credentials come in to compete with beard is "over recruiting." doesn't matter who initiated contact. cael could have said "sorry, we already have the best 197 in the country and he's my guy."

but guess what? over recruiting is good and cael's job is to make the team better. he thought dean could make the team better and said welcome aboard. the hysteria about over recruiting from hawkeye fans the last 10 years when psu did it was just cope. it was pathetic. and it's cope when you're doing right now because the hawks picked up a good wrestler.

it's sports guys. this happens in ncaa football and basketball every single year on every single team. the only reason it doesn't happen more in wrestling is the scholarship limit, not some sense of honor.

this is a distinction that doesn't really matter. letting a guy with dean's credentials come in to compete with beard is "over recruiting." doesn't matter who initiated contact. cael could have said "sorry, we already have the best 197 in the country and he's my guy."

but guess what? over recruiting is good and cael's job is to make the team better. he thought dean could make the team better and said welcome aboard. the hysteria about over recruiting from hawkeye fans the last 10 years when psu did it was just cope. it was pathetic. and it's cope when you're doing right now because the hawks picked up a good wrestler.

it's sports guys. this happens in ncaa football and basketball every single year on every single team. the only reason it doesn't happen more in wrestling is the scholarship limit, not some sense of honor.
You have to get with the program. Iowa has honor. Penn State is pond scum.
Now repeat after me. Iowa good. Penn State bad. Iowa good. Penn State bad.
If you don't learn your lesson you may end up banished here for eternity, never to return to the cesspool.

fwiw, real has now publicly said he does not have an nil deal with iowa.
Thank for the info. Can you point us to it? Would like to read his comments on the matter.

you callin' him a liar jts???
Didn’t he say he hasn’t signed a deal yet? I have no problem with him signing a deal. The problem is if he was contacted before he was in the portal. He denies it. I also believe he has more motivation to lie than his Stanford coaches do. He needs to protect his future NIL earnings.

you callin' him a liar jts???
Candidly, he has to say that. He can't implicate his new team in shady dealings or say I'm here because of money. It's called staying PC. Cenzo painted a different picture on Baschamania while defending him saying "he's a fantastic kid, I love him and I don't blame him for taking it" For the record, nothing wrong with what the kid did one way or another. I'm sure you'll say Basch and Cenzo are just trying to leak out anti Iowa propaganda though lol.

Having listened to both (thank you js8973), I think precise words matter. I believe Real when he says that he doesn’t have a deal. I also believe him when he says he has an idea of what is available to him at Iowa. I also believe Cenzo when he talked of offers having been made. I would guess that you can put that all together and assume things were said about what would be available to him if he were to come to Iowa. And now he can access what had been talked about.

Having listened to both (thank you js8973), I think precise words matter. I believe Real when he says that he doesn’t have a deal. I also believe him when he says he has an idea of what is available to him at Iowa. I also believe Cenzo when he talked of offers having been made. I would guess that you can put that all together and assume things were said about what would be available to him if he were to come to Iowa. And now he can access what had been talked about.
I just started listening to Basch and Cenzo is looking at this the same way I am….there are coaches out there that are trash, they are trying to buy championships but most importantly he feels programs could go away because of all this.

I’ll add this too, next time you hear of Stanford thinking of cutting their program. Well… there won’t be anything or anyone saving it again.

Reactions: Hotshoe and mcpat
I just started listening to Basch and Cenzo is looking at this the same way I am….there are coaches out there that are trash, they are trying to buy championships but most importantly he feels programs could go away because of all this.

I’ll add this too, next time you hear of Stanford thinking of cutting their program. Well… there won’t be anything or anyone saving it again.
I get what you're saying but I think Stanford Wrestling is safe for a while. They raised 13M alone last year and Cenzo said they "fundraised way more" this year (Koll is a master at it) After the backlash they got last year, they'll keep it off the chopping block for a while. Also, they have the #2 and #9 kids on Willie's Big Board coming in. They can afford to lose a Real Woods.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I get what you're saying but I think Stanford Wrestling is safe for a while. They raised 13M alone last year and Cenzo said they "fundraised way more" this year (Koll is a master at it) After the backlash they got last year, they'll keep it off the chopping block for a while. Also, they have the #2 and #9 kids on Willie's Big Board coming in. They can afford to lose a Real Woods.
Yeah… not talking anytime soon for Stanford. I would talk that way now about a shit load of other programs out there tho.

What matters is what Beau writes down. I'm betting his goals are even higher than beating a single guy. I may eat crow for it next year at this time, but I'm expecting Beau to get significantly better results next year in all aspects.
I'm with you nerf. Watching his career unfold so far it's not that far off with what you see from a lot of kids. He will do just fine and I think 141 he will manhandle a lot of kids.

I warned about the recruiting bullsh&t 3 years ago on the football board. All I've heard is either step up or we'll fall further behind. I just laughed. People need to listen to Cenzo. This will ruin all of college's sports. In football, the SEC is just laughing. Now their bag men are legal and can give even more money.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Plausible deniability. I still believe Cenzo over Woods any day, every day. Of course an NIL wasn't signed beforehand. Yah, no one contacted about him about an NIL to go to Iowa. Whatever. Vodka and @MVPFAN will be on top of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT