ADVERTISEMENT

Real to Hawks

Fantastic! Now he can improve his pushing guys out of bounds and dramatically reduce his shot rate!

Kinda happy about this. Iowa needs 3 more of him before they challenge PSU next season. Plus he’s less likely to be the recipient of racial slurs because he’s a Hawkeye.

Plans change, so they say. I had some very good information on this one and was confident in what I reported. Good pick up for the Hawks.

Fantastic! Now he can improve his pushing guys out of bounds and dramatically reduce his shot rate!

Kinda happy about this. Iowa needs 3 more of him before they challenge PSU next season. Plus he’s less likely to be the recipient of racial slurs because he’s a Hawkeye.
do you hate Iowa more than you love PSU ?

Reactions: NCHawk55
Was told from the jump that this could well be a highest bidder situation and at the time PSU was that bidder and destination No. 1. NIL can change things, clearly.

Just further illustrates how big of a deal the transfer portal is going to continue to be going forward. Iowa (nor anybody else) is a threat to PSU for next year as currently constructed, assuming (as I do) that RBY comes back to get a third title. But one more big time transfer and it could at least be a conversation. Or PSU could get a big transfer and put it further out of reach. If next year were closer on paper, this would be a more interesting move as far as the tournament goes. As we currently stand, it just cements Iowa as a probable trophy team.

Not going to lie, the transaction stuff is very pro sports. I dig it, but I think a lot of the old school fans aren't going to like it as much.

Just further illustrates how big of a deal the transfer portal is going to continue to be going forward. Iowa (nor anybody else) is a threat to PSU for next year as currently constructed, assuming (as I do) that RBY comes back to get a third title. But one more big time transfer and it could at least be a conversation. Or PSU could get a big transfer and put it further out of reach. If next year were closer on paper, this would be a more interesting move as far as the tournament goes. As we currently stand, it just cements Iowa as a probable trophy team.

Not going to lie, the transaction stuff is very pro sports. I dig it, but I think a lot of the old school fans aren't going to like it as much.
The old school fans will be fine when they benefit. The only time old school is displeased with new school is when the other guys benefit. People aren't very complex.

I agree NIL and the Transfer Portal will make it the wild west and it'll be ugly without regulation. That being said, I will always be an advocate for adults being allowed to take money that people are willing to pay them for their skillset. For some of these kids, it could change their families life.

Reactions: The Vak
The old school fans will be fine when they benefit. The only time old school is displeased with new school is when the other guys benefit. People aren't very complex.
Maybe it can be that simple. I think a lot of college sports fans are going to be turned off by the movement. I think it's great, personally.

Also, can I just say that while, personally, I'm very excited an elite wrestler is going to Iowa, I take way more joy in Mineo being wrong again.

I’ll admit I don’t care for it at all and has nothing to do with Iowa getting Woods. Matter of fact I’ve been clear that I was hoping PSU wouldn’t get him. Just doesn’t feel like amateur sports anymore.

I agree NIL and the Transfer Portal will make it the wild west and it'll be ugly without regulation. That being said, I will always be an advocate for adults being allowed to take money that people are willing to pay them for their skillset. For some of these kids, it could change their families life.
I agree 100%. This may be the only time these kids could make that kind of money in one pop, and if people are willing to pay it...welcome to America.

Reactions: pumpdog20
I’ll admit I don’t care for it at all and has nothing to do with Iowa getting Woods. Matter of fact I’ve been clear that I was hoping PSU wouldn’t get him. Just doesn’t feel like amateur sports anymore.
I understand that general perspective, I just disagree with it. Opinion and aholes, though, lol. It just increases wrestling's footprint in my mind.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Maybe it can be that simple. I think a lot of college sports fans are going to be turned off by the movement. I think it's great, personally.

Also, can I just say that while, personally, I'm very excited an elite wrestler is going to Iowa, I take way more joy in Mineo being wrong again.
He blocked me last week so I can’t join in the fun in trolling him. It’s ok though… Uncle Pat was starting to creep me out anyway with him constantly chasing around 13 and 14 year old boys so he can be part of their drama.

Reactions: The Vak
Great for Iowa.... they out bid the Nits for a guy. I guess they’ll have to take back all the BS they have spewing about the PSU slush fund and how PSU recruits over guys. Besides we need the Hawks to be competitive.

Reactions: Gray52 and I.J.W.T.
Great for Iowa.... they out bid the Nits for a guy. I guess they’ll have to take back all the BS they have spewing about the PSU slush fund and how PSU recruits over guys. Besides we need the Hawks to be competitive.
Competitive is not likely to be a word associated with next year's NCAA tournament, lol. Unfortunately for my beloved Hawkeyes.

Well it seems like an awful lot of excitement on HR over a sixth place finisher who lost his last three matches. Maybe Nick Lee had a talk with Cael as he just wrestled Woods and surely knows what BB is capable of. Just idle speculation on my part. Good luck and try to stay healthy. The Big 10 is not the Pac 12. Can he handle the grind week after week? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Did you approve of Dean over Beard? Why not Woods? I'm just curious. I missed your reasoning on that

Competitive is not likely to be a word associated with next year's NCAA tournament, lol. Unfortunately for my beloved Hawkeyes.
Actually this changes a ton. I like Henson but I wouldn't have penciled him in as an AA (he absolutely can but I wouldn't do it before seeing him through at least Midlands next year) Woods is the favorite at 141 IMO. Now if Henson can make 133, it'll be super interesting.

Did you approve of Dean over Beard? Why not Woods? I'm just curious. I missed your reasoning on that
Pretty sure I posted I didn’t care to get Dean either. I was good to roll with Beard. And earlier this week I posted I hope we don’t get Woods. Personally, I like pull for the kids that wanted to be at PSU from the start. Especially guys like BB and Beard who obviously have talent.

Actually this changes a ton. I like Henson but I wouldn't have penciled him in as an AA (he absolutely can but I wouldn't do it before seeing him through at least Midlands next year) Woods is the favorite at 141 IMO. Now if Henson can make 133, it'll be super interesting.
Iowa won’t be close to PSU next year.

But I thought we all were told that TnT would never recruit over anyone especially a top recruit like Henson. Only Carl would do something that dastardly. I haven’t been over to HR after this news and I won’t be going but I sure hope they are eating some crow after everything that was being said. I really doubt it however

I dunno man. I'm not trying to do the reverse jinx thing, I just don't see it as of yet.

Iowa has four people who COULD win titles, but only Spencer is a strong favorite. After that Woods, Warner, and Cassioppi could win, and all should place relatively high, but none of them are any kind of lock. Then if RBY is back (which I think we all expect), that's RBY, Starocci, and Aaron Brooks as strong favorites, plus Dean as returning champ (though I think most would pick Ferrari to beat Dean) and then Kerk is in essentially the same position as Cass. Iowa would need either another big time transfer or one of their new people to take a leap over where they've been previously PLUS none of your new guys being title threats out of the gate to make this even competitive in my eyes. Obviously I'd love to be wrong.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Well it seems like an awful lot of excitement on HR over a sixth place finisher who lost his last three matches. Maybe Nick Lee had a talk with Cael as he just wrestled Woods and surely knows what BB is capable of. Just idle speculation on my part. Good luck and try to stay healthy.
Did you notice how much 141 clears out for next season? The 6th place finisher is looking pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT