ADVERTISEMENT

Re: MLB viewing demographics

No different for college football. Look around the Beav. Oldsters are aging out faster than youngsters are snapping up season tickets.

College football is nothing like MLB demographics. College football still has a large fanbase spanning all age groups. Like all sports, the 20 something generation is nowhere near into them as previous generations, but MLB is a different league than any sport with respect to lack of younger viewers. I am in my 40's and loved and played BBall growing up and never would imagine missing playoff and world series games growing up. I could not tell you who even won the past 15 years worth of world series as I don't follow baseball at all anymore and neither does anybody I really know except men in their mid to late 50's and older. In 20 years when that generation is no longer with us, the ratings for MLB is going to go way, way down.

Reactions: Ski
I think I saw somewhere that the median age for watching the playoffs and World Series last year was 55 - it had been 48 just 10 years before.

Talk about a demographic time bomb for the sport.

Edit - did find a few articles discussing this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...ld-people-problem-with-merchandise-highlights
MLB shot itself in the head when it took the TV money for prime time playoff and World Series games.
Kids who used to follow the sport like their Dads, were aced out of seeing the games by the late starts. Baseball has lost a couple generations because of its shortsighted stupidity.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT