ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Spencer Lee

Simple answer. He wasn't good enough.
Just remembered your a NY guy. Yes he had a knee injury, but so did SL.
So the double elbow surgery his senior year (a few months before the US Open) , plus his ACL surgery his freshman year (a few months before the Trials) *isn't* the answer. Color me surprised.

Did SL wrestle a few months after his knee surgery? Not sure what comparison you are making here.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
He wasn’t duckin’ Deakin?
Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
He wrestled Deakin in the US Open semi-finals four months after his double elbow surgery (losing late 6-4).

Regarding Lee vs RBY, everyone might remember a few years ago when Bryce Meredith and Seth Gross had a pretty amicable Twitter exchange where they agreed to go against each other in an upcoming dual. They delivered too. I think Meredith won by 1 point in a good match with lots of action. I wonder if there’s any chance that Lee and RBY would do the same.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Regarding Lee vs RBY, everyone might remember a few years ago when Bryce Meredith and Seth Gross had a pretty amicable Twitter exchange where they agreed to go against each other in an upcoming dual. They delivered too. I think Meredith won by 1 point in a good match with lots of action. I wonder if there’s any chance that Lee and RBY would do the same.
zero-john-belushi.gif

Thus the issue with calling someone “generational” when they haven’t separated themselves from several others competing at the same time.

So the double elbow surgery his senior year (a few months before the US Open) , plus his ACL surgery his freshman year (a few months before the Trials) *isn't* the answer. Color me surprised.

Did SL wrestle a few months after his knee surgery? Not sure what comparison you are making here.
Excuses are for whizzes......

Reactions: danoftw

Excuses are for Cornell athletes. Why didn't Yainni get his lawyers to argue the classic "My double elbows are messes up, I am the best and deserves a World Gold"?

One thing Spencer Lee was never known for was speed/quickness, and I highly doubt he GAINS speed being off for so long and he sure as hell aint gonna be faster if he puts on 10 pounds. RBY would run circles around him at 133, Spencer better CHOOSE top position, cuz thats the only chance he’d have at getting there.

Lee can choose top, but the chances of him running that arm bar and turning RBY:
0.0.jpg

Also, the HR kids were saying that RBY has never seen a top wrestler as dominant as SL.

Meanwhile, I saw video of RBY under Zain a while back.
I believe Daton Fix has beaten Lee at least once for a Junior World Team spot. Years ago but Fix is certainly a very good wrestler that RBY has beaten twice in NCAA finals.

I believe Daton Fix has beaten Lee at least once for a Junior World Team spot. Years ago but Fix is certainly a very good wrestler that RBY has beaten twice in NCAA finals.
Fix beat Lee for the Cadet world team spot. Lee then won Juniors gold that year.

Are you actually saying Fix is as dominant on top as Lee, or just as good overall?

Are you actually saying Fix is as dominant on top as Lee, or just as good overall?
Huh, I didn't say OR imply anything about Fix on top. As to overall Fix is pretty good. 3x NCAA finalist. However, I did not say OR imply that Fix was better than Lee.

@js8793 I'm actually somewhat curious on your opinion of this topic. You have been good with being objective when it comes to analytical items. Healthy Spencer (2018 with 2 ACLs) vs 2022 RBY at 133.

@js8793 I'm actually somewhat curious on your opinion of this topic. You have been good with being objective when it comes to analytical items. Healthy Spencer (2018 with 2 ACLs) vs 2022 RBY at 133.
spencer in a close one. i'd also take 2020 1 acl spencer too. don't think he was very limited with that one (see his us open performance for example).

i think rby is a tough match up, but ultimately i trust spencer's offense to win the day. i also think spencer could maybe ride him if he needed to. i don't think it's a lock, but i think spencer is more capable of going to get a score when he needs to, so that's where my money would be.

spencer in a close one. i'd also take 2020 1 acl spencer too. don't think he was very limited with that one (see his us open performance for example).

i think rby is a tough match up, but ultimately i trust spencer's offense to win the day. i also think spencer could maybe ride him if he needed to. i don't think it's a lock, but i think spencer is more capable of going to get a score when he needs to, so that's where my money would be.
nice-try-kid-frank-gallagher.gif
;)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: PSUer1989
In a fantasy match that this is... Weight doesn't matter I think it's close..
but if they are wrestling at 133 that advantage for RBY is a bit much to overcome..
Spencer won't be as effective up a weight.

Reactions: NittanyLion84

64436988.jpg

It is a shame that it won't happen because that kind of stuff used to happen.

Jeff Prescott (118) went up and wrestled Terry Brands (126) and Brands was just too big and strong. The video is on Youtube and is pretty telling.

It was great for a champ to move up to wrestle another champ.

giphy.gif

If you know, you know.
If you don't, consider yourself lucky!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT