ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Spencer Lee

Yianni is definitely the #1 kid to come out of that class. One loss in his career (as a true FR) and going for his fourth title this year. He also won four HS state championships (to Spencer's three) and has already made a World team. HS, College, and Internationally, Yianni has outdone Spencer at each level - it's not debatable.

It's kind of crazy that this never gets mentioned.
are you the alter ego of @NothingMeaningful

;):cool:

Yianni is definitely the #1 kid to come out of that class. One loss in his career (as a true FR) and going for his fourth title this year. He also won four HS state championships (to Spencer's three) and has already made a World team. HS, College, and Internationally, Yianni has outdone Spencer at each level - it's not debatable.

Live look at HR after that blasphemy:

photo.cms

I’ve got the answer. Grow the sport. Rokfin event, triple header. RBY v SL. Round 1 folk style, round 2 freestyle, round 3 MMA/grappling. RBY wins 2 of 3. sport wins. Some undercover NIL $$$ for the boys!! Who says no??

Reactions: mcpat

GIF by Giphy QA
GIF by Giphy QA
GIF by Giphy QA

Hawk fans

• Haha
Reactions: dunkej01 and mcpat
Iowa is lacking a training partner to prepare Spencer for this fantasy match against RBY. Gilman would probably need lots of cash to consider it and he's a Nittany Lion, so that ship has sailed.
Plus he's already booked as RBYs training partner to emulate Spencer. ;-)

A 4 timer is an incredible accomplishment and the Hawks should be happy if it happens.
Where he ranks in that category is what will be interesting.
We will hopefully get a 4 timer or 2 in the next few years..
The knock on Spencers titles is who is the best he's beaten accolades wise??? He's beaten some incredible wrestlers, no one wins any titles without doing so..

Well.... He did beat 1x champ Nato and 2x champ Suriano.

Reactions: Cstroke

Kind if crazy how Yianni can get lost in these types of discussions, between Steveson and Lee, many of us wrestling fans forget just how great a career he has had.

So is it possible to be considered a generation talent when you are 3rd out of your recruiting class?

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler. No doubt. But if he’s “generational” then so are all the following PSU wrestlers with more wins and fewer losses:

David Taylor
Ed Ruth
Zain Retherford
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf

And watch out for Aaron Brooks and Carter Starocci.

I’m not dissing Lee. He’s great. Like a number of other greats, though.
I agree and Lee has shown he can be beaten if there's a plan. I think Fix could hang with Lee just on style. But hey I'm a psu fan so there's that. I get why Lee is thought of as generational but like you pointed then so are a lot of others.

I seriously doubt it will happen at all, but if it does, it will be in the dual. Lee won't move up for the season to try to beat RBY to win the NCAA's. That would be foolish, but depending on how the season is looking, there may be motivation to do it for the dual. I think Ayala can wrestle a dual or two now and still keep his shirt in tact, right? If Iowa thinks they need a hail mary to beat PSU and having Ayala-Lee try to sweep Robbie-RBY instead of a guaranteed split of the weights with Lee at 125 and RBY at 133, then they may just do it.

That would easily be the match of the year to watch. My heart wants RBY but my brain says Lee would have a small advantage. It would depend on whether Lee could get a quick takedown and build a little lead early. If the first ends 0-0, the advantage swings back to RBY later in the match, but Lee's first minute is probably the best I've ever seen.
I've seen rby do some crazy ass shit in the first minute of a match. I can see him getting a quick takedown Like most of us know, if rby decides to turn it on he's a whirlwind and can pile up some points.

A 4 timer is an incredible accomplishment and the Hawks should be happy if it happens.
Where he ranks in that category is what will be interesting.
We will hopefully get a 4 timer or 2 in the next few years..
The knock on Spencers titles is who is the best he's beaten accolades wise??? He's beaten some incredible wrestlers, no one wins any titles without doing so..
What's awesome we may get two four timers in one year lol

Graduated HS in 2017, so a year younger than several of Iowa starters from last season and the same year the Spencer graudated HS. And your point is?
Dean graduated HS in 2016.

2016: HS
2017: grey shirt at FLWC
2018: Cornell freshman
2019: Cornell sophomore
2020: Olympic Red Shirt
2021: Ivy cancellation year
2022: Penn State junior

What was your point?

Reactions: HawkFan1986

Yeah, but only Spencer won a championship on a torn AC---wait, what?

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

Never happening on a collegiate level. In the dual, TnT aren’t giving away bonus points that they will desperately need to win. Certainly not at nationals where Spencer is the prohibitive favorite to to win his fourth national championship and second Dan Hodge.

Never happening on a collegiate level. In the dual, TnT aren’t giving away bonus points that they will desperately need to win. Certainly not at nationals where Spencer is the prohibitive favorite to to win his fourth national championship and second Dan Hodge.
Iowa is gonna need 18 bonus points to beat us in the dual, but yes, you’re right, this aint happening.
We can still talk bout it though haha.

Reactions: nitlion6

Yianni has outdone Lee in most of areas you mention, but don't forget Lee won a couple of Jr. World Championships, Yianni never sniffed a Jr World Medal. Gable and Lee both won Jr. Worlds while being Cadet eligible.

Reactions: creamery freak
Yianni has outdone Lee in most of areas you mention, but don't forget Lee won a couple of Jr. World Championships, Yianni never sniffed a Jr World Medal. Gable and Lee both won Jr. Worlds while being Cadet eligible.
Care to tell us why Yianni never sniffed a Jr. World Medal? Shirley you know the reason.

• Wow
Reactions: dunkej01
I’ve already forgotten because it was so long ago #Lar’skidisanoldgeezer

Dean graduated HS in 2016.

2016: HS
2017: grey shirt at FLWC
2018: Cornell freshman
2019: Cornell sophomore
2020: Olympic Red Shirt
2021: Ivy cancellation year
2022: Penn State junior

What was your point?
Can you please do the same for YD, I keep thinking “how does he have another chance to get #4 when Cornell canceled their season in 20”

Just a thought. This is a subject the Iowa/HR folks are emotionally deeply invested in, which is understandable. I mean think about it, very good Iowa kids find their way to the national finals to simply lose to PSU kids repeatedly. A team Iowa fans believed entering the season to be their best in the past 25 years finishes in 3rd place about 80 points behind PSU and hardly considered a threat. Even the year they do manage to claim a team championship their accomplishment is diminished by the ass whooping Penn State kids put on the Iowa kids in the championship bouts.
The only victory over Penn State Iowa wrestling fans can come up with is in a whatabout fantasy matchup that allows the Hawk/HR fans to scream, yeah well I know this would happen without worry of reality bytch slapping them out of their collect circle jerk fantasy.

Now here is the funniest aspect of the HR silliness. The biggest reason this match will not ever happen is one of the two coaching staffs is scared to death of the outcome. The staff too scared to go with this match certainly is not Cael and company. If Spencer were to come up to play, Penn State would simply send RBY out confident of the outcome. TnT, scared to the point of cold sweats of all of the possible negatives would never consider giving their fans the satisfaction of obtaining even a small victory over PSU.
The staff too afraid to send Stoll out to wrestle Snyder, even with the match outcome still in doubt. The staff too afraid to travel to State College without a conference mandate to do so. Those staffs are the same staff that would have to swallow the fear of their probable 4 timer losing a chance at another Hodge with a loss, and the fear RBY broke DeSanto he might also break the Hawk savior.
The match the Hawk faithful want more than another is one they are never going to see, because their leadership is too afraid to allow it to happen.

Lee won his first JR medal the year he failed to make our Cadet team.

• Sad
Can you please do the same for YD, I keep thinking “how does he have another chance to get #4 when Cornell canceled their season in 20”
Sure.

2017: HS
2018: Cornell freshman, NCAA champion
2019: Cornell sophomore, NCAA champion
2020: Olympic red shirt (not enrolled in school)
2021: Ivy League season cancelled (also not enrolled AFAIK)
2022: Cornell junior, NCAA champion
2023: Cornell senior, NCAA champion

The Ivy League (not Cornell) cancelled the 2021 season, not the 2020 season.

Lee won his first JR medal the year he failed to make our Cadet team.
Is that correct? I can't remember the sequence but he bumped up a weight wrestle Fix and lost and then bumped down to wrestler 50kg, but I thought he lost to Fix to make the Junior team and then wrestled Cadet Worlds. Looks like I was wrong as I thought he won Cadet Worlds twice and Juniors once but apparently it was the other way around. I am so confused. Sucks getting old. :-(

Sure.

2017: HS
2018: Cornell freshman, NCAA champion
2019: Cornell sophomore, NCAA champion
2020: Olympic red shirt (not enrolled in school)
2021: Ivy League season cancelled (also not enrolled AFAIK)
2022: Cornell junior, NCAA champion
2023: Cornell senior, NCAA champion

The Ivy League (not Cornell) cancelled the 2021 season, not the 2020 season.
Ok, so if he been enrolled in 21 (which HAS to be the case right?) he would not be a 4 timer, and as luck would have it for him he was ORSing when NCAA canceled Nats.

Thank you

Is that correct? I can't remember the sequence but he bumped up a weight wrestle Fix and lost and then bumped down to wrestler 50kg, but I thought he lost to Fix to make the Junior team and then wrestled Cadet Worlds. Looks like I was wrong as I thought he won Cadet Worlds twice and Juniors once but apparently it was the other way around. I am so confused. Sucks getting old. :-(
That means Fix is generational too.

• Wow
Ok, so if he been enrolled in 21 (which HAS to be the case right?) he would not be a 4 timer, and as luck would have it for him he was ORSing when NCAA canceled Nats.

Thank you
Not sure that's quite correct wrt 2021. Had he been enrolled in 2021 (as a junior), he'd have lost a year of Ivy eligibility but not a year of NCAA eligibility, and he could have graduated this past year (being a senior) and transferred to a school outside the Ivy League and used his extra COVID year as a grad student to go for his 4th title. I think.

Can you imagine 3x NCAA champion Yianni Diakomihalis in the transfer portal? Let the bidding war begin!

I have to wonder if Lee will move up to 133 because he gets too big for 125 after another injury year. Lots of weights and less cardio can have that effect especially on the lightweights.

Regardless, I'll take the bigger, stronger and I believe quicker RBY if the wrestle. Also, I think RBY is more used to wrestling bigger and better kids and men when you add in his recent free experience.

I have to wonder if Lee will move up to 133 because he gets too big for 125 after another injury year. Lots of weights and less cardio can have that effect especially on the lightweights.

Regardless, I'll take the bigger, stronger and I believe quicker RBY if the wrestle. Also, I think RBY is more used to wrestling bigger and better kids and men when you add in his recent free experience.
One thing Spencer Lee was never known for was speed/quickness, and I highly doubt he GAINS speed being off for so long and he sure as hell aint gonna be faster if he puts on 10 pounds. RBY would run circles around him at 133, Spencer better CHOOSE top position, cuz thats the only chance he’d have at getting there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT