ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Spencer Lee

aalion

Jun 4, 2001
I guess it was inevitable that the AJ Ferrari thread mentioned HR and their supposition around the potential for a Spencer Lee v RBY matchup. Presumably at 133. I didn’t sort thru HR to see the detail.

But to my uneducated view, it wouldn’t t be crazy for Lee to come back a bit bigger after a year off. He is already a very powerful 125. I am sure he would think he could win at either weight. Not sure he would “risk” being a legendary 4-timer unnecessarily, but the idea is interesting to me.

I for one would love it. Worth price of admission and then some to see them match up.

Any educated predictions or analyses of that matchup?

Well the uneducated HR opinions are that Lee would tech RBY, at least a few posters.

Last edited:
As I said in that thread, first time Lee gets caught in a shot, and RBY starts pulling on a foot, TnT are out on the mat laying hands on RBY and the match is over.

I hope they wouldn’t be dumb enough to send their barely-healed golden boy out there against a guy their last 133lb guy hasn’t finished a single shot on in 2 years.

Since their true freshman years and ignoring a FFT victory for SLee in a dual….

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

SLee has losses to SeaBass (x2) and Piccinni

RBY has losses to SeaBass and Gross

SLee has won 40 in a row; RBY has won 36 in a row

SLee has a much higher bonus rate. 48/56 are by bonus. RBY is 28/56.

Does a ridiculous bonus win rate mean victory? I can’t help but think of DT vs KD.

What about RBY’s size advantage?

Sorry tHR, I’m going with RBY.

As I said in that thread, first time Lee gets caught in a shot, and RBY starts pulling on a foot, TnT are out on the mat laying hands on RBY and the match is over.

I hope they wouldn’t be dumb enough to send their barely-healed golden boy out there against a guy their last 133lb guy hasn’t finished a single shot on in 2 years.
TnT hands on RBY, oh my. Twin headed bug meets windshield moment. That would live on in internet infinity. That's better than Larry calling other school's AAs from his Coe College office.

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

Does a ridiculous bonus win rate mean victory? I can’t help but think of DT vs KD.

Jack Nicholson You Cant Handle The Truth GIF

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

You forgot, RBY has two knees….

I think it's a legitimate discussion with healthy Spencer. He's quite the talent and has freak strength at 125 that is obviously more than capable of 133. He handled Suriano pretty easily who was a pretty big 125 on a 12 hour weigh-in in 2018. That being said, HR acting like it's a slam dunk (some predicting majors) is downright hilarious. Matchups are everything and RBY's feet and speed makes him almost impossible to takedown.

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

Good analysis. I see RBY keeping things tight early, frustrating and tiring Lee and ultimately putting things away in a comfortable fashion in the third period. I also think the upside of Spencer winning is a whole lot less than the downside of his losing. That would be so deflating for Iowa, its team and fanbase. I have a sneaking feeling PSU fans would handle RBY losing a lot better than Iowa fans would handle Spencer losing.

Lee would be foolish to move up to wrestle RBY. A loss even up a weight would hamper a shot at chance at the hodge even IF he goes undefeated at 125 and I don’t think he could beat RBY.

Reactions: mcpat
We all win if this happens. Let’s be honest, Iowa getting smoked like a joint in the dual. Spencer and RBY are both humble champions who love to compete. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened. And my money is on our boy in a FUN bout.

Reactions: PASLP2
Lee would be foolish to move up to wrestle RBY. A loss even up a weight would hamper a shot at chance at the hodge even IF he goes undefeated at 125 and I don’t think he could beat RBY.

I think it's more about the risk for injury and missing out on the program's first ever 4 timer. TnT are not idiots. (Maybe a little crazy, but not idiots.)

Reactions: AndEEss

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

I'm curious as to why you are ignoring a FFT for RBY when if you watch that match RBY absolutely destroyed and thoroughly humiliated Desanto. Here is the match and after you watch please explain your logic.

Reactions: Wilco43
I'm curious as to why you are ignoring a FFT for RBY when if you watch that match RBY absolutely destroyed Desanto. Here is the match and after you watch please explain your logic.

I ignored a dual meet FFT for Lee, not a medical default victory for RBY. And even then, I think I only ignored it for bonus purposes

TnT hands on RBY, oh my. Twin headed bug meets windshield moment. That would live on in internet infinity. That's better than Larry calling other school's AAs from his Coe College office.

I don’t think it would be that far out there to think that Terry might just come fully unglued and run out to rescue his golden child from a potentially career ending injury. They likely aren’t that stupid, though.

I think it's more about the risk for injury and missing out on the program's first ever 4 timer. TnT are not idiots. (Maybe a little crazy, but not idiots.)
The twins are smarter than we typically give them credit for. However, they do occasionally do "idiot" to a very high level.

Reactions: danoftw

SLee is 56-3
RBY is 56-2

If this happens I have a 100 saying you’re wrong. Rby is a damn good wrestler, Spencer is generational. He’s improved his cardio a lot since his freshman year, we all know about his top game, he’s a great scrambler, but most of the time he doesn’t have to scramble because his offense is to diverse and his hand fighting and position are top level.

I’ve seen RBY throw up some sluggish performances in the past where he struggles to get offense going, I’ve never seen Spencer not get more than one takedown, (aside from his 40 seconds techs) outside of his true freshamn year against Nathan Tomasello. I see a 7-2 or 7-3 win for Spence, and that’s me being modest in the rivals backyard.

I know we’re going to sing our own guys praises but this is Spencer Freaking Lee we’re talking about.

If this happens I have a 100 saying you’re wrong. Rby is a damn good wrestler, Spencer is generational. He’s improved his cardio a lot since his freshman year, we all know about his top game, he’s a great scrambler, but most of the time he doesn’t have to scramble because his offense is to diverse and his hand fighting and position are top level.

I’ve seen RBY throw up some sluggish performances in the past where he struggles to get offense going, I’ve never seen Spencer not get more than one takedown, (aside from his 40 seconds techs) outside of his true freshamn year against Nathan Tomasello. I see a 7-2 or 7-3 win for Spence, and that’s me being modest in the rivals backyard.

I know we’re going to sing our own guys praises but this is Spencer Freaking Lee we’re talking about.
You're predicting a 7-2 Spencer win and you're being modest? Might as well tell us your real prediction then so we can laugh lol.

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler. No doubt. But if he’s “generational” then so are all the following PSU wrestlers with more wins and fewer losses:

David Taylor
Ed Ruth
Zain Retherford
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf

And watch out for Aaron Brooks and Carter Starocci.

I’m not dissing Lee. He’s great. Like a number of other greats, though.

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler. No doubt. But if he’s “generational” then so are all the following PSU wrestlers with more wins and fewer losses:

David Taylor
Ed Ruth
Zain Retherford
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf

Pretty impressive list.

David Taylor
Ed Ruth
Zain Retherford
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf

I’ll give you the majority of guys you listed. I know you all loved Taylor, he was awesome, but he’s only a two time champ. He was dominant but I think that leaves him out of this discussion.

Zane, Bo, Nolf, and Ruth. They are all great. Nolf was a personal favorite of mine.

I’ll give you the majority of guys you listed. I know you all loved Taylor, he was awesome, but he’s only a two time champ. He was dominant but I think that leaves him out of this discussion.

Zane, Bo, Nolf, and Ruth. They are all great. Nolf was a personal favorite of mine.

Then we can leave Dan Gable out of the discussion. Silliness.

All 3 of Taylor's losses were to champions. Of course Lee is elite like the others in this discussion but only 1 of his 5 losses was to a champion.

There were 4 such matches in 2019 in which Lee didn't get multiple takedowns: one at Midlands against Glory, none at Midlands against Rivera, none in the dual against Piccininni, and one against Rivera at B10s.

Also 2x at the 2021 NCAA tournament: one against Cardinale, and one against Schroder.

Then we can leave Dan Gable out of the discussion. Silliness.

All 3 of Taylor's losses were to champions. Of course Lee is elite like the others in this discussion but only 1 of his 5 losses was to a champion.
Gable wrestled varsity for three years, and only has 1 loss. I think we can agree those are different scenarios. We all know Gables story, he represented more than just victories on the mat.

David Taylor was great, I said so before. This is just my opinion, you don’t have to agree with it. I think the other four Mcpat mentioned were better collegiate wrestlers, based on dominance and winning.

When ranking PSU all timers March Success has to play into it. Taylor can still be your favorite wrestler without everyone thinking he’s the best to ever lace them up at PSU. See Mark Ironside for an Iowa comparison. He’s beloved, and he was great, but he comes in near the bottom of any top ten list imo.

There were 4 such matches in 2019 in which Lee didn't get multiple takedowns: one at Midlands against Glory, none at Midlands against Rivera, none in the dual against Piccininni, and one against Rivera at B10s.

Also 2x at the 2021 NCAA tournament: one against Cardinale, and one against Schroder.
Fair enough.

Gable wrestled varsity for three years, and only has 1 loss. I think we can agree those are different scenarios. We all know Gables story, he represented more than just victories on the mat.

David Taylor was great, I said so before. This is just my opinion, you don’t have to agree with it. I think the other four Mcpat mentioned were better collegiate wrestlers, based on dominance and winning.

When ranking PSU all timers March Success has to play into it. Taylor can still be your favorite wrestler without everyone thinking he’s the best to ever lace them up at PSU. See Mark Ironside for an Iowa comparison. He’s beloved, and he was great, but he comes in near the bottom of any top ten list imo.

You lost a lot of credibility comparing Ironside to Taylor.

You lost a lot of credibility comparing Ironside to Taylor.
I didn’t compare there careers, I compared the admiration they received from fans.

Context is king. The sentence right before I compared them I stated David Taylor can still be your favorite wrestler even though he doesn’t necessarily have the accolades that other wrestlers in your school have.

I’m not saying anything bad about Taylor. And I don’t care. how credible I am to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT