ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Spencer Lee

What if this was a free style match (Since Spencer thinks folk is garbage), does the Par Terre nuetralize Spencer's best position against RBY.

I think RBY's speed, size, and defense would slow Spencers' nuetral attacks, if he also loses his top position strength it could make it very hard for him.

giphy.gif
How old is Max Dean…he’s no spring chicken.

Reactions: creamery freak
What if this was a free style match (Since Spencer thinks folk is garbage), does the Par Terre nuetralize Spencer's best position against RBY.

I think RBY's speed, size, and defense would slow Spencers' nuetral attacks, if he also loses his top position strength it could make it very hard for him.
2020 Us open. I think that shows why Spencer likes freestyle more. He gutted and laced just about everyone.

Pulling this from memory. But I think he teched his way to the finals.

I seriously doubt it will happen at all, but if it does, it will be in the dual. Lee won't move up for the season to try to beat RBY to win the NCAA's. That would be foolish, but depending on how the season is looking, there may be motivation to do it for the dual. I think Ayala can wrestle a dual or two now and still keep his shirt in tact, right? If Iowa thinks they need a hail mary to beat PSU and having Ayala-Lee try to sweep Robbie-RBY instead of a guaranteed split of the weights with Lee at 125 and RBY at 133, then they may just do it.

That would easily be the match of the year to watch. My heart wants RBY but my brain says Lee would have a small advantage. It would depend on whether Lee could get a quick takedown and build a little lead early. If the first ends 0-0, the advantage swings back to RBY later in the match, but Lee's first minute is probably the best I've ever seen.
A Lee V RBY match would be great for the fans and clearly the most anticipated bout of the season. Wrestling could use the injection of excitement this match would provide. Random is correct, if Lee moves up and he and Ayala both win, the final team score could be very close.

Dake's move up to compete with Taylor is precedent for a Lee move up. Schalles is another competitor who moved up to wrestle national champions.

Par terre isn't the question. Spencer Lee is most dangerous in freestyle at converting takedowns into ankle laces.

Lee? He has two already and should add a third this year.

Lee is definitely a generational talent. Taylor is too, though. His gold medal sealed the
My bad. I was focused on the two years he didn’t win it instead of the two he did. Covid got me again.

Reactions: hlstone
Lee going up to face RBY would almost be as heroic as Stoll defiantly taking the mat against ISU. We’ve seen Brands sit Lee against 125s because “It was the plan”, so I can’t see him sending Lee up to take on RBY unless everything else he’s tried to make him hate wrestling hasn’t worked

Graduated HS in 2017, so a year younger than several of Iowa starters from last season and the same year the Spencer graudated HS. And your point is?
Started down the Max Dean rabbit hole and found this thread. Gold, Jerry, Gold!!

That thread is just stuffed full of idiotic takes.
Oh my God, I just got to page 2 (I’m eating so going slow). It’s amazing.

We need people to screen grab their favorites. This one is good:

roeisele said:
Would love to see a healthy Bull next year stick it to Griffith. Think he's definitely the better wrestler and wins that 7/10.

Snippet from another:

Edit to add: they finished 60 points behind Iowa and 44.5 behind Penn St last year. Iowa will be better next year and Penn St will be at least equal, I hesitatate to say much better because of 157 but likely will score more points next year. Michigan isn’t making up that kind of ground.

Reactions: danoftw
Oh my God, I just got to page 2 (I’m eating so going slow). It’s amazing.

We need people to screen grab their favorites. This one is good:

roeisele said:
Would love to see a healthy Bull next year stick it to Griffith. Think he's definitely the better wrestler and wins that 7/10.

Snippet from another:

Edit to add: they finished 60 points behind Iowa and 44.5 behind Penn St last year. Iowa will be better next year and Penn St will be at least equal, I hesitatate to say much better because of 157 but likely will score more points next year. Michigan isn’t making up that kind of ground.

It has some unpleasant COVID stuff in the middle, but they get back to their wrestling-related idiocy towards the end.

Also, sure, mid-season Bull MIGHT beat Griffith. Post-season Bull wasn't beating Griffith.

I'm kind of amazed that they simply don't learn. From their coaching staff to their fans, these people just don't learn. Their team is held together by duct tape by the end of the year every season, and I doubt that will ever change with TnT in charge.

It has some unpleasant COVID stuff in the middle, but they get back to their wrestling-related idiocy towards the end.

Also, sure, mid-season Bull MIGHT beat Griffith. Post-season Bull wasn't beating Griffith.

I'm kind of amazed that they simply don't learn. From their coaching staff to their fans, these people just don't learn. Their team is held together by duct tape by the end of the year every season, and I doubt that will ever change with TnT in charge.
Iowa treat their adjustments to their wrestlers like I do my golf swing changes. After the first sign of trouble, we both go back to the old way. Never getting better but not getting any worse. Change is tough when you need to struggle for sometime before it pays off.

Just finished - the Covid stuff definitely interrupted the wrestling idiocy sadly.

One of our guys bravely tried to warn them (and got laughed at by various “HR MVPs”.

PSUNATTY2020

Scout Team​

GlenHawk said:
I mean, obviously lol.
He made the finals and beat Myles Martin. Yes obviously he would compete for a title.

Reactions:GlenHawk and MVPFAN

I think same ideal weight Spencer/RBY would be a wonderful match.

As is, I think the match would look a lot like Micic/Rivera in 2019. A big brother/little brother event. Spencer just isn't that big.

I have trouble with projecting how Spencer will do against elite competition because I don't think we've seen him against elite competition in a while.

Spencer takes down and turns virtually everyone he gets his hands on, but he hasn't had to face anyone on the RBY/Daton Fix (or even Desanto) level in a few years.
I think Spencer would have very, very tough time with Nick Suriano as well.

Iowa treat their adjustments to their wrestlers like I do my golf swing changes. After the first sign of trouble, we both go back to the old way. Never getting better but not getting any worse. Change is tough when you need to struggle for sometime before it pays off.
Hell, I wasn't even talking about tactical or technical changes, but that's a good point, too.

I was referring to what seems to be a very 1980s/1990s-era theory of training that has resulted in many an Iowa NC-caliber wrestler being broken by the time it actually matters. Kemerer, Bull, Eierman, etc. TnT are beating those guys nearly to death because that was the way Gable did it (and the way everyone else did it, too, I assume) when they were in school. Cael very clearly takes a periodized approach to training, with distinct times of training overload (see: late January), resting/recovering and then building for Nationals. It's an approach used by a lot of coaches/athletes in other endurance sports because the human body can only take so much before it begins breaking down. Yes, the purpose of training is to expand those boundaries, but the time to do that is well, well before the NCAA tournament.

Hell, I wasn't even talking about tactical or technical changes, but that's a good point, too.

I was referring to what seems to be a very 1980s/1990s-era theory of training that has resulted in many an Iowa NC-caliber wrestler being broken by the time it actually matters. Kemerer, Bull, Eierman, etc. TnT are beating those guys nearly to death because that was the way Gable did it (and the way everyone else did it, too, I assume) when they were in school. Cael very clearly takes a periodized approach to training, with distinct times of training overload (see: late January), resting/recovering and then building for Nationals. It's an approach used by a lot of coaches/athletes in other endurance sports because the human body can only take so much before it begins breaking down. Yes, the purpose of training is to expand those boundaries, but the time to do that is well, well before the NCAA tournament.
Stop giving away our secrets.

Last edited:
Olympic Gold Medalist Gable Stevenson was from the same recruiting year so was Lee even the best wrestler of his graduating class?
Yianni is definitely the #1 kid to come out of that class. One loss in his career (as a true FR) and going for his fourth title this year. He also won four HS state championships (to Spencer's three) and has already made a World team. HS, College, and Internationally, Yianni has outdone Spencer at each level - it's not debatable.

It's kind of crazy that this never gets mentioned.

Yianni is definitely the #1 kid to come out of that class. One loss in his career (as a true FR) and going for his fourth title this year. He also won four HS state championships (to Spencer's three) and has already made a World team. HS, College, and Internationally, Yianni has outdone Spencer at each level - it's not debatable.

inspired war GIF

PS - I just got off the phone with Gillman, and asked if he could clear this question up once and for all.

His reply, "having wrestled both, RB friggin Y".

Googles I was thinking that Thomas Gilman would be Spencer's best training partner to prepare him to face RBY. Iowa doesn't have anyone besides AD that faced someone as quick and athletic as RBY. Gilman knows RBY's tendencies the best since they trained for TG's National team trials through World championships.

Iowa is lacking a training partner to prepare Spencer for this fantasy match against RBY. Gilman would probably need lots of cash to consider it and he's a Nittany Lion, so that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Thus the issue with calling someone “generational” when they haven’t separated themselves from several others competing at the same time.

A 4 timer is an incredible accomplishment and the Hawks should be happy if it happens.
Where he ranks in that category is what will be interesting.
We will hopefully get a 4 timer or 2 in the next few years..
The knock on Spencers titles is who is the best he's beaten accolades wise??? He's beaten some incredible wrestlers, no one wins any titles without doing so..

Reactions: creamery freak
I think I saw the word "annihilate" used in that thread. The idea that anyone would annihilate a 2x NCAA champion is kinda funny.
Funny? More like stupid, but generally speaking stupid is HR's wrestling analysis baseline. Regarding analysis of Penn State wrestling the level of stupid amplifies exponentially.

ADVERTISEMENT