ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Lee Thread on HR

psuflyguy

Mar 23, 2013
Have a read. It sounds like the script for one the old SNL “Bill Braskie” skits. Regardless of whether you agree that Lee would beat RBY, it’s fun reading with takes ranging from cogent to crazy. I guess we fans all live and move around on that scale.

Have a read. It sounds like the script for one the old SNL “Bill Braskie” skits. Regardless of whether you agree that Lee would beat RBY, it’s fun reading with takes ranging from cogent to crazy. I guess we fans all live and move around on that scale.
It is a good read. Won’t happen but if RBy comes back I’d love to see that match go down.

Spencer would also tech Zaur Uguev since Uguev = Gilman and Spencer obviously teched Gilman. Someone on this board said when NIL came out, Spencer should start just auctioning off his worn underwear to Iowa fans, he'd be a millionaire within a week.

In reality, hard to find a better kid than Spencer so obviously I'd never hold the immense hype Iowa fans give him against him obviously. I mean he is their pride and joy so I get it.

He said on one of his twitches he was absolutely fuming when he saw someone throw a bottle at Starocci and said something like he doesn't want those fans rooting for him. Hope his recoveries are going well.

It’s not like Iowa’s team was full of action this year anyway. Desanto definitley but other than him most of them wrestle the same way. Hoping for a 3-2 win. Oh and Kemerer wrestles.

Surprised it hasn’t been posted on here is how Hidlay wrestled Brooks the exact same way as last year. Backing out of bounds every single time. I thought they made some rules to correct that for this year but it was a carbon copy of what he did in the finals last year and once again almost stole it. Hidlay, for me, is the most boring mfer out there. At least against Brooks lol.

Legitimately I'm curious, if the roles were switched and Cael was trying to find a way to coach ADS to beat RBY who he knows will go defensive ... how it would go. Obviously there's only so much coaching Cael can do in a Jimmy and Joes sport but I'm pretty confident he wouldn't try the same thing 6 times in a row and hope for different results each time.

I cannot wrap my head around the contention over there that RBY stalls. He scored more than 100 takedowns (per Byers) and is a highlight reel of athletic moves.
He stalls because he scores offensive points and beats Hawkeyes while doing so. That is all you need to know to understand the thought process.

If he laid down and surrendered points and lost to Hawkeyes they would still bellyache about stalling, but they would be OK with it.

I cannot wrap my head around the contention over there that RBY stalls. He scored more than 100 takedowns (per Byers) and is a highlight reel of athletic moves.
That doesn't preclude stalling at any other point in a given match.

Also, it's reflexive for them. The doctor taps your knee with the hammer, you kick. HR watches wrestling, they cry for stalling.

That doesn't preclude stalling at any other point in a given match.

Also, it's reflexive for them. The doctor taps your knee with the hammer, you kick. HR watches wrestling, they cry for stalling.
There's literally no other fanbase that says RBY stalls. Reading temperature on message boards and twitter, Oklahoma State fans are more frustrated that Daton can't seem to figure him out rather than default to saying he stalls. Actually, there's no other fanbase that says any of our wrestlers stall. There were some that complained about AB's driving Amine off the mat but they also acknowledged AB scored the offensive points of the match and at some point Amine has to get out himself as well.

They're all alone and it's hilarious. It's funny they think the temperature of Iowa is what everyone thinks. The majority of people on twitter were upset with the Jay Aiello match and DePrez match (to a lesser extent) and understandably so but they all moved on and were more in awe than anything of PSU going 5/5 by the end of the weekend. Iowa fans can continue to sulk, it's very enjoyable. Or create hypothetical matches where their guy wins by tech every time. I'm also not saying that's all of them either, there are very respectful ones that goes without saying.

Reactions: ccdiver
He stalls because he scores offensive points and beats Hawkeyes while doing so. That is all you need to know to understand the thought process.

If he laid down and surrendered points and lost to Hawkeyes they would still bellyache about stalling, but they would be OK with it.
I don't frequent HR so can't comment on the OP, but this bit of Hawk news caught my eye. Apparently to be even more transparent and more closely capture the original intent of the CHA statue committee, university officials moved Dan Gable's statue somewhere indoors and replaced it with this one.

I would love to watch this match. RBY is so quick and spencer has slow feet. It wouldn't be competitive from neutral but Spencer has those amazing top skills. He would need to take top and get a turn to win. He struggled against a much less athletic Seabass.
RBY hardly has the glittering resume of a Ronnie Bresser, so we’d just have to hope he could survive

Just went over to see the thread - they are one Jealous, living in the past group.

RBY is an “Active Staller” was the funniest.

I think Spencer is an all time great! However, I think he will find things increasingly harder competing with two repaired ACL’s. He was never known as a speedy guy but I think his lateral movements side to side will be even slower making him a tad more vulnerable. More pressure to be the hammer on top.

Last edited:
Someone pointed out RBY’s losses his true freshman year. Let’s be fair; after their true freshman years:

Spencer Lee: 56-3. Losses to SeaBass 7-3, Pinccinni by FALL and SeaBass again 6-4 SV.

RBY: 56-2. Losses to Seth Gross 6-5 and SeaBass 7-2

Someone pointed out RBY’s losses his true freshman year. Let’s be fair; after their true freshman years:

Spencer Lee: 56-3. Losses to SeaBass 7-3, Pinccinni by FALL and SeaBass again 6-4 SV.

RBY: 56-2. Losses to Seth Gross 6-5 and SeaBass 7-2
But those losses are when Spencer had consumption/the vapors/ague/ill humours/ the grippe - so they don’t count

At the dual meet this year… RBY didn’t do much. They remember that match and no others that he’s ever wrestled
I believe RBY was very cautious whenever he wrestled ADS. If you watched the interview that pish posted, RBY said that he knew ADS was coming for 7 straight minutes. I think it was always in the back of RBY'S mind that if ADS came off the rails during a scramble he could seriously injure him. An injury could end your season or career. RBY stated there were a couple of matches he didn't want to wrestle and I'm sure ADS at Carver was one of them. He basically did all he needed to do to beat ADS and tried to not put himself in harm's way. Just my opinion.

I believe RBY was very cautious whenever he wrestled ADS. If you watched the interview that pish posted, RBY said that he knew ADS was coming for 7 straight minutes. I think it was always in the back of RBY'S mind that if ADS came off the rails during a scramble he could seriously injure him. An injury could end your season or career. RBY stated there were a couple of matches he didn't want to wrestle and I'm sure ADS at Carver was one of them. He basically did all he needed to do to beat ADS and tried to not put himself in harm's way. Just my opinion.
He's gonna have a really short MMA career if he worries about guys trying to injure him.

Also gonna be a really short MMA career if he shies away from the toughest guys.

More likely that the less interesting opponents bored him. Lehigh's backup 125, Sacred Heart's sub-.500 guy, Nebraska's .500 starter, Ohio State's starter who didn't qualify for nationals, Maryland's anybody. Probably not real excited about making weight to face guys like that.

We've discussed it before, at no point in their 8 matches has there ever been signs of ADS attempting any kind of foul play against RBY. If you don't want to forgive ADS for the Micic incident, that's fine but I doubt RBY gives ADS the kind of props he did after his final 2 matches this year if he truly believes ADS has ever attempted to hurt him before or if he ever would. The closest you might worry is ADS gave him a death stare and a half after their match at Carver this year and RBY I think said something that broke the stare (maybe like "don't give me that look, you lost") Good practice for MMA tbh, you need to be a bit of a talker.

That isn't what he was talking about. He knew DeSanto was going to come at him full throttle for 7 minutes, and never get tired. RBY knows if he let's up or gets a little tired DeSanto would have a great advantage. RBY was simply acknowledging DeSanto is one tough SOB to beat.

That isn't what he was talking about. He knew DeSanto was going to come at him full throttle for 7 minutes, and never get tired. RBY knows if he let's up or gets a little tired DeSanto would have a great advantage. RBY was simply acknowledging DeSanto is one tough SOB to beat.
I agree with you too. I guess a better way for me to say it is he wrestled ADS with Kid gloves, but wasn't stalling. When he was passing the crowd in Carver after his match and someone yelled " you were stalling " in his face, RBY either flipped him off or wanted to. He said that's when the racial slur was hurled. When you're amped up in the heat of the moment things can happen that you didn't intend. "That's what we do" but not always.

They’ve each won two big ten championships in four attempts.

Lee wins by bonus more often. Otherwise, they have almost identical results since their true freshman years.

Is Lee even going to come back after witnessing that parade of injuries? No chance of a team title and he is on record on how he dislikes Folk. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he just moves on.

If they wrestle at 125 Spencer beats a depleted RBY. If 133 is the weight RBY wins.
It would be cool to see both come back and Spencer bulk up to 133 and have a go at RBY.

If RBY were to win the dual, Big10s and NCAAs, in classic HR logic the argument would become Lee was still better because of 1-1-1-2 vs 7-1-1-1.

Reactions: creamery freak
Is Lee even going to come back after witnessing that parade of injuries? No chance of a team title and he is on record on how he dislikes Folk. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he just moves on.
To be Iowas first 4 timer Id say it’s almost certain. Besides, Iowa and folk style wrestling has already destroyed his body and put his international goals at serious risk, may as well go ahead and stay all in with it.

most iowa wrestler like to get 2 early then stall out the match or stall the whole match and try to get 2 the last 30 seconds!!

One of the biggest (and to me, most amusing) ironies in sports is the constant Tom Brands mantra about “Moving Forward”. Neither he nor a faction of his tHR disciples seem even remotely capable of it, dwelling on past ‘crimes’ against them like it’s their profession to do so. Same ol’ same ol’ in that shrinking corner of the wrestling world.

Just add RBY, his left arm, and his steps to the long list of things from which they’ll never move forward. While the wrestling world evolves and passes them by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT