ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Arujau

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
This is the match I most want to see at the Collegiate Wrestling Duals. (As long as Arujau is still at 133.) How do people see this one going? Thoughts? Predictions?

I think it will be a barn burner with a lot of action and points. Basically the exact opposite of a Suriano-Fix match. I’ll take the champ, 8-6.

WE ARE!!!

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
This is the match I most want to see at the Collegiate Wrestling Duals. (As long as Arujau is still at 133.) How do people see this one going? Thoughts? Predictions?

I think it will be a barn burner with a lot of action and points. Basically the exact opposite of a Suriano-Fix match. I’ll take the champ, 8-6.

WE ARE!!!
Possibly like this?

Or this?

WE ARE!!!
If Darmstadt is there, then 197 will be even crazier.

Too bad we won't see it happen:

When the Cornell wrestlers take the mat in Florida on December 20 at the Collegiate National Duals, Vito Arujau will be back in a familiar place - 125 pounds.

“I’m very excited,” he said. “During the two years off from college wrestling, I competed at 125 in freestyle, so it’s nothing really new to me. The idea of going 133 was actually the new thing. Personally, I wanted to go 125, but I felt that if 133 made our team better, I would definitely do it for the team.”
Turns out he was at 125 when he wrestled against Stanford at 133 (I remember someone said he couldn't compete at 133 if he was descending to 125!). Wrestling up a weight class, he beat DeSario 14-3. The same DeSario who lost to Fix the week before 7-3. FWIW.

Too bad we won't see it happen:

Turns out he was at 125 when he wrestled against Stanford at 133 (I remember someone said he couldn't compete at 133 if he was descending to 125!). Wrestling up a weight class, he beat DeSario 14-3. The same DeSario who lost to Fix the week before 7-3. FWIW.
Not sure why someone couldn’t compete during a descent. You wouldn’t if your weight isn’t within the allowed plan, both either too high or too low, so an official weigh-in has consequences. Doesn’t mean you couldn’t.

Not sure why someone couldn’t compete during a descent. You wouldn’t if your weight isn’t within the allowed plan, both either too high or too low, so an official weigh-in has consequences. Doesn’t mean you couldn’t.
Just reporting what Vito said. Pretty sure the team wanted to see how Dom Lajoie did at 133 at CKLV.

“I believe I would win NCAAs at 133, but 125 is my competition weight right now,” he said. “It might seem like a weird way to think about it, but losing the weight creates a ready feeling for me. I put in the work. 133 is leisurely for me. I only weigh about 135 pounds. People think I weigh so much more because I went 138 my senior year of high school, but I weighed 135 then too; I just didn’t feel like cutting anything. If anything, I’ve gotten smaller, since I’ve gotten rid of some bad eating habits. I feel good and strong at 125.”

But he couldn’t wrestle 125 on December 3-4 at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.

College wrestling weight descent rules didn't allow that drop after his weigh in for the Stanford dual. And if he went 133 again in Nevada, his move to 125 would be further delayed.

Just reporting what Vito said. Pretty sure the team wanted to see how Dom Lajoie did at 133 at CKLV.
Ah. I see. Thanks for clearing it up. I get it now. He couldn’t because his weight at the Stanford dual was too high to get back to 125 in time within the wt management rules. At that time, his weight was ok to get down for Niceville, but in Nevada still too high to want an official weigh in that would screw up Niceville. Effectively that’s on him, not because its not allowed to do which is how I interpreted “couldn’t”.

Looks like you'll get your chance.

Match notes for the Duals shows Greg D. at 125 and Vito or Lajoie at 133, Handlovic or Wilson at 141, Yapoujian or Richard at 157, Cardenas at 197, Fernandes or Furman at 285.

Some backups against UNI, and the best guys vs. Penn State?

Looks like you'll get your chance.

Match notes for the Duals shows Greg D. at 125 and Vito or Lajoie at 133, Handlovic or Wilson at 141, Yapoujian or Richard at 157, Cardenas at 197, Fernandes or Furman at 285.

Some backups against UNI, and the best guys vs. Penn State?
Not clear to me what the point of entering this event is if not to test your best against others best. CKLV, midlands, scuffle already exist to get a bunch of guys some matches around the holidays.

Not clear to me what the point of entering this event is if not to test your best against others best. CKLV, midlands, scuffle already exist to get a bunch of guys some matches around the holidays.
To reward some of those in the room who don't get to compete as much? Cornell is likely taking a two week trip to Florida and Tennessee, and they aren't just taking their starters. So, if Coach Grey thinks that Cornell can beat UNI with some backups, why not? The starters will have their hands full with PSU and whoever they get the next day, plus the Scuffle.

ADVERTISEMENT