ADVERTISEMENT

RBY Shoe Raffle

PSU continues to make more and more money every year, and they continue to spend almost every dollar they make. The whole system is broken. If you’re interested, The Knight Commission report provides a high level breakdown of the expenses….
Price elasticity breeds inefficiency. When you can have pretty much whatever you want and be able to raise your prices to cover it, why would you try to do more with less? And if Olympic sports are not the things the administrations want, they are at risk. This is the last decade of the great university build out. In 2030 the chickens will come home to roost. States, municipalities, and cities will declare bankruptcy like falling dominos and default on their pension obligations. This will trigger the steepest recession in 100 years. Universities will have to reinvent themselves just like those businesses and retirees that depend on government work and pensions. Unless you live in Wisconsin. They are 99% funded. They will just have to build a southern wall to keep Chicagoans out. Illinois' pension funding ratio is 23%. They are screwed. Pennsylvania has over $75 billion in unfunded pension obligations. Include municipalities and it balloons to $225 billion. That is just one state.
Invest heavily now. These are the roaring 20's. Just start liquidating inflated assets in 6-7 years, then sit back and watch the show.

Price elasticity breeds inefficiency. When you can have pretty much whatever you want and be able to raise your prices to cover it, why would you try to do more with less? And if Olympic sports are not the things the administrations want, they are at risk. This is the last decade of the great university build out. In 2030 the chickens will come home to roost. States, municipalities, and cities will declare bankruptcy like falling dominos and default on their pension obligations. This will trigger the steepest recession in 100 years. Universities will have to reinvent themselves just like those businesses and retirees that depend on government work and pensions. Unless you live in Wisconsin. They are 99% funded. They will just have to build a southern wall to keep Chicagoans out. Illinois' pension funding ratio is 23%. They are screwed. Pennsylvania has over $75 billion in unfunded pension obligations. Include municipalities and it balloons to $225 billion. That is just one state.
Invest heavily now. These are the roaring 20's. Just start liquidating inflated assets in 6-7 years, then sit back and watch the show.
Hey, why is thefanswin posting his satires from Beaurdeaux’s account? 🧐 :)

Why 2030?

I need to move over into the world you live in. The one in which I currently reside forces me to make choices. Had it not, my entire closet would be full of PSU wrestling gear I didnt buy because I chose something else. Since I'm on a roll, let me talk about this as a tax payer. Many of these Universities are funded partly through the tax payer. Tell me why I should now feel good about a University giving an athlete a free or reduced education only to have them, their sponsor, tiki toc, Instagram or any other entity profit from their NIL being bolstered through the platform they are providing? In my opinion, pay for your education yourself through the money you generate through your NIL. Dont leave it up to the University or the tax payer especially when the sport you are participating in is already losing them money.

To be fair, El Jefe specifically said "I could see schools reducing scholarships for individual NIL high earners"...

But I agree that those will likely be few and far between.

Why 2030?
giphy.gif

Reactions: danoftw
Everything I've read says that the athletes must be out of uniform to make NIL money -- i.e., they can only make NIL money from 3rd parties. The schools make a ton of money from the athletes' NIL while in uniform, and the athletes do not appear to be entitled to any of that.
I thought that as well...but then I saw Spencer Lee's new T-Shirt/Sweatshirt that he is selling. Basically has a picture of him in a stance in an Iowa wrestling uniform on the front. I can't imagine that the vaunted Iowa compliance department would venture in the same zip code of a "grey" area, given how transparent, responsive, and principled a friend once told me they are.

I think that the prohibition is on university trademarks and logos. And fortunately, Spencer's stance and hand positioning look to be partially blocking the block IOWA (one of the universities logos), so they steered waaaaaay, waaaaaaay, waaaaaay, clear of any impropriety as I was told to expect. Again, by a friend.

I thought that as well...but then I saw Spencer Lee's new T-Shirt/Sweatshirt that he is selling. Basically has a picture of him in a stance in an Iowa wrestling uniform on the front. I can't imagine that the vaunted Iowa compliance department would venture in the same zip code of a "grey" area, given how transparent, responsive, and principled a friend once told me they are.

I think that the prohibition is on university trademarks and logos. And fortunately, Spencer's stance and hand positioning look to be partially blocking the block IOWA (one of the universities logos), so they steered waaaaaay, waaaaaaay, waaaaaay, clear of any impropriety as I was told to expect. Again, by a friend.
Team colors is definitely grey area (especially unique team colors--e.g., Iowa's black and gold are found in fewer places than Penn State's blue and white). If I'm a corporate intellectual property attorney, the absence of an actual team logo doesn't necessarily matter where viewers can perceive an association and infer an endorsement by the school, which the school doesn't want for a dozen reasons. You might have noticed the Nick Lee auto dealership ad where they appear to have gone deliberately away from blue and white so there was no question. Pro athletes' endorsements handle it similarly, genericizing the uniform so there's no question that, say, Claude Giroux is in a Flyers jersey while selling razors or whatever .

You can trademark a color scheme, and even a particular color, but most schools don't actually take that step. That might change.

So you can either read the guidelines to the letter, or you can read them with an eye toward what they're intending to accomplish, and they're clearly intending to leave a wall between the athletes' endorsements and the schools.

Team colors is definitely grey area (especially unique team colors--e.g., Iowa's black and gold are found in fewer places than Penn State's blue and white). If I'm a corporate intellectual property attorney, the absence of an actual team logo doesn't necessarily matter where viewers can perceive an association and infer an endorsement by the school, which the school doesn't want for a dozen reasons. You might have noticed the Nick Lee auto dealership ad where they appear to have gone deliberately away from blue and white so there was no question. Pro athletes' endorsements handle it similarly, genericizing the uniform so there's no question that, say, Claude Giroux is in a Flyers jersey while selling razors or whatever .

You can trademark a color scheme, and even a particular color, but most schools don't actually take that step. That might change.

So you can either read the guidelines to the letter, or you can read them with an eye toward what they're intending to accomplish, and they're clearly intending to leave a wall between the athletes' endorsements and the schools.
Jody Strittmatter be like:

Ce0DCZbWAAEUe0_.jpg

Man, that sounds kinda grey to me!

Reactions: tikk10
Coined the term? I guess so... Surely there are others out there in PA that was using this line in the past. Here in somersert/cambria counties it goes back to at least the 80s. Hell, it was my old hs football coaches favorite line during camp...
I'd like to personally apologize to Spencer and anyone else that may be upset with this erroneous post. When I'm wrong...I say I'm wrong.

After thinking about it, the term used in my neck of the woods was "Excuses are for wussies." Amongst the kids, we would say pussies but when the word wuss started catching on back then we changed it to wussies so we could use it in front of our teachers and coaches. My football liked it so much he wore it out and it became old ....real quick.

So yes, carry on Spencer Lee....carry on.

Coined the term? I guess so... Surely there are others out there in PA that was using this line in the past. Here in somersert/cambria counties it goes back to at least the 80s. Hell, it was my old hs football coaches favorite line during camp...

My football coaches were using “Excuses are for Wusses” back in the 80s. Depending on the coach, the spray of tobacco spittle made it all the more meaningful. It’s not really about who coins it, but who files paperwork. Remember when Pat Riley trademarked the phrase(s) Three-peat and 3peat?

My football coaches were using “Excuses are for Wusses” back in the 80s. Depending on the coach, the spray of tobacco spittle made it all the more meaningful. It’s not really about who coins it, but who files paperwork. Remember when Pat Riley trademarked the phrase(s) Three-peat and 3peat?
I’m envisioning the polyester “Bike” brand shorts

Reactions: PASLP2
I’m envisioning the polyester “Bike” brand shorts

Yeah...its about who files the paperwork. Just thought it strange that they'd use that verbiage when Spencer didnt "coin" anything. Now that I think about it, I'm almost certain that years ago I had seen athletes wearing tshirts with that same saying. And yeah...I knew there would be others here that heard that saying back in the day.

FWIW, you don't need to have coined a phrase to trademark it, so long as the phrase isn't already so closely associated with whoever coined it or claimed to coin it so that issuing the trademark to someone else would cause consumer confusion. And multiple persons/entities can trademark the same term so long as they don't compete (again, to prevent consumer confusion).

Sometimes the value of owning a particular trademark is pretty much only so that you can say you own a particular trademark. I oughta hang a shingle out here in SC b/c I can do these applications in my sleep.
Jefe will send over the paperwork when he gets back. I can think of dozen slogans around here that can feed the "slush fund"

#eatitturk

Reactions: danoftw
Jefe will send over the paperwork when he gets back. I can think of dozen slogans around here that can feed the "slush fund"

#eatitturk
^^ That's 2 of them.

We should trademark every Spykerism, including Full Court Press.

@smalls103 should trademark everything Flo says, and then stick it to them for the ridiculous Big Board "infringement."

i've probably told this story before ... but I own a patent. Yes, the bar is that low. Worked on a 2-year engineering research project that generated a half-dozen or so patents among the team.

Anyway, when I got the patent approval letter, the very first thing I did was search the US Patent Office's website, just to make sure it was real.

It was. And right below my patent was the trademark for Dykes on Bikes.

Good for them, but the sound you heard was my ego deflating.

ADVERTISEMENT