ADVERTISEMENT

RBY Shoe Raffle

RBY is a Barstool athlete.

What this means and how he got it? I have no idea but it seems like a pretty big deal (looks like a lot of people want to be one)
Potential problem, if this is a legit sponsorship, is that student athletes are prohibited in using their school uniform in any promotional material.

Potential problem, if this is a legit sponsorship, is that student athletes are prohibited in using their school uniform in any promotional material.

The student athletes are, or the companies? Or both?

Looks like Ferrari basically did as well, although looks like they took off the Nike Logo, which Barstool didn't do with RBY.

I guess we should have seen this coming, but it seems like the athletes that may capitalize the most are pretty girls.

I know she reached out to them so good on her for showing the initiative, but I'm sure the content of Adelaide Halverson's instagram account didn't hurt in Portnoy signing her...

Then there's this: https://www.outkick.com/lsu-gymnast...me-a-millionaire-this-week-thanks-to-new-law/
so the hula hoop girl is going to get a bikini modeling contract with body glove? Is that what you are telling me? I think maybe @CropDuster507 may find enjoyment in that as well

I guess we should have seen this coming, but it seems like the athletes that may capitalize the most are pretty girls.

I know she reached out to them so good on her for showing the initiative, but I'm sure the content of Adelaide Halverson's instagram account didn't hurt in Portnoy signing her...

Then there's this: https://www.outkick.com/lsu-gymnast...me-a-millionaire-this-week-thanks-to-new-law/
Isn't that the way it always is. Those darn women are running the world and they don't even know it. :cool: Or do they?

Does anyone know how much he made on the raffle? Did it get a lot of traffic or was it pretty much irrelevant?

I'm admittingly ignorant when it comes to the financials of college athletics. I prefer to just watch and get enjoyment out of it without concerning myself with the business aspects of it all. Anyway, I was under the impression that very few if any wrestling programs make a profit. Is this true? If it is, is anyone else concerned that Universities will not want to foot the bill and be the platform in which others will profit while they take the hit? Will they want continue to hand out scholarships, pay teams expenses like equipment, gear, travel expenses and even the coaches so groups like barstool, apparel companies and social media sites can profit while the school loses money?And now they will need to pay out even more to have people make sure the athlete is doing things on the up and up. I could also see colleges losing money in apparel sales since people will be buying things from the athlete instead of the school. Am I looking at this all wrong? I really dont know.

I'm admittingly ignorant when it comes to the financials of college athletics. I prefer to just watch and get enjoyment out of it without concerning myself with the business aspects of it all. Anyway, I was under the impression that very few if any wrestling programs make a profit. Is this true? If it is, is anyone else concerned that Universities will not want to foot the bill and be the platform in which others will profit while they take the hit? Will they want continue to hand out scholarships, pay teams expenses like equipment, gear, travel expenses and even the coaches so groups like barstool, apparel companies and social media sites can profit while the school loses money?And now they will need to pay out even more to have people make sure the athlete is doing things on the up and up. I could also see colleges losing money in apparel sales since people will be buying things from the athlete instead of the school. Am I looking at this all wrong? I really dont know.
I am not sure any wrestling programs turn a profit .... maybe Iowa

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I am not sure any wrestling programs turn a profit .... maybe Iowa
That's what I was thinking. Like I said, I could be off base here but the sport has enough trouble keeping programs in existence so I personally could see this becoming a reason or even an excuse for colleges to drop programs that are not profitable. If I'm a "business owner", I don't create a business so the worker takes the profits while I lose money. That's just dumb... It seems they have been doing just that for years and years and years now but could this NIL stuff just put a stop to it all? And I wont go into how observant taxpayers could become pissed if their taxes are being distributed to universities that are losing money so athletes, Instagram, tiki toc and barstool sports can profit. This could actually work it's way into arguments inside state legislatures when discussing budgets and tax payer distributions to colleges. You know damn well fiscal minded politicians will be bringing up how everyone is profiting off of college athletes while so many programs within the university are losing money to be their platform.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Like I said, I could be off base here but the sport has enough trouble keeping programs in existence so I personally could see this becoming a reason or even an excuse for colleges to drop programs that are not profitable. If I'm a "business owner", I don't create a business so the worker takes the profits while I lose money. That's just dumb... It seems they have been doing just that for years and years and years now but could this NIL stuff just put a stop to it all? And I wont go into how observant taxpayers could become pissed if their taxes are being distributed to universities that are losing money so athletes, Instagram, tiki toc and barstool sports can profit.
I don't think schools will drop unprofitable programs or cut scholarship funding because of NIL. It would be incredibly petty of the schools, and alumni would resist if not outright revolt. And there is an obvious solution: endowments.

(There is a real risk of admin bloat -- that schools hire so many Associate ADs for NIL Compliance that they can no longer afford the sports. But that's a separate issue.)

I could see schools reducing scholarships for individual NIL high earners -- but IMO there will be very few of those. Most athletes will have little selling reach outside their school base and hometown, or outside their sport. It sounds great, but does anybody think every one of the approximately 500,000 "Barstool Athletes" is getting paid?

Also not sure what money the schools are losing from this. Everything I've read says that the athletes must be out of uniform to make NIL money -- i.e., they can only make NIL money from 3rd parties. The schools make a ton of money from the athletes' NIL while in uniform, and the athletes do not appear to be entitled to any of that.

I don't think schools will drop unprofitable programs or cut scholarship funding because of NIL. It would be incredibly petty of the schools, and alumni would resist if not outright revolt. And there is an obvious solution: endowments.

(There is a real risk of admin bloat -- that schools hire so many Associate ADs for NIL Compliance that they can no longer afford the sports. But that's a separate issue.)

I could see schools reducing scholarships for individual NIL high earners -- but IMO there will be very few of those. Most athletes will have little selling reach outside their school base and hometown, or outside their sport. It sounds great, but does anybody think every one of the approximately 500,000 "Barstool Athletes" is getting paid?

Also not sure what money the schools are losing from this. Everything I've read says that the athletes must be out of uniform to make NIL money -- i.e., they can only make NIL money from 3rd parties. The schools make a ton of money from the athletes' NIL while in uniform, and the athletes do not appear to be entitled to any of that.
I could easily see the schools losing money even if the athlete is selling clothing and apparel out of uniform. Not everyone has an unlimited supply of disposable income laying around. I know for me, one shirt I buy from RBY most likely means im buying one less from the school.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I could easily see the schools losing money even if the athlete is selling clothing and apparel out of uniform. Not everyone has an unlimited supply of disposable income laying around. I know for me, one shirt I buy from RBY most likely means im buying one less from the school.
Penn State made $164.5M in revenue (in 2019).

OK, so PSU is one of the richest schools. The poorest school with a D1 wrestling program is Arkansas-Little Rock -- which made $13.1M in revenue.

Really, if the schools can't afford the opportunity cost of a few t-shirts, they are grossly mismanaged.

OK, so PSU is one of the richest schools. The poorest school with a D1 wrestling program is Arkansas-Little Rock -- which made $13.1M in revenue.

Really, if the schools can't afford the opportunity cost of a few t-shirts, they are grossly mismanaged.
I am an Arkansas-Little Rock Season Ticket Holder. From day 1. Since I live in Pa, I donate the tickets back to the program to give to local wrestling clubs.

That's a nice number but doesnt mean much to me until I know what their expenses are to generate that revenue. I'll need to dig deeper when I have time later. Like I said in previous posts, I may be looking at this all wrong. I guess I should have started first by looking at what the net profit is for ALL the sports programs is now and then to try forecast the kinda money the universary will be losing once merchandise sales start dropping because we are now buying from athletes and their sponsors. In my mind I could see many schools considering dropping non revenue sports if it's no longer worth them financing the entire platform for others to make money while they make very little from it.

I am an Arkansas-Little Rock Season Ticket Holder. From day 1. Since I live in Pa, I donate the tickets back to the program to give to local wrestling clubs.
Way to go! I do the same thing with Appy State, UT @Chattanooga and VT wrestling. I try to attend one home match a year and give the other tickets away to the fathers of kids on our local HS team. The tickets are unbelievably inexpensive (as they are at PSU) and the competitive action is entertaining.

....unbelievably inexpensive (as they are at Penn State)......

Due to supply and demand, prices are not the same as they were. I think I paid on average $7 a ticket in 2010, which I thought was ridiculously cheap.

I would never give mine up as Cael has a product I'm willing to pay premium for.

I compare my Pitt tickets to Penn State and there is a big difference. Cael awakened a giant and the giant was Wrestling fans looking for excellence.

That's a nice number but doesnt mean much to me until I know what their expenses are to generate that revenue. I'll need to dig deeper when I have time later. Like I said in previous posts, I may be looking at this all wrong. I guess I should have started first by looking at what the net profit is for ALL the sports programs is now and then to try forecast the kinda money the universary will be losing once merchandise sales start dropping because we are now buying from athletes and their sponsors. In my mind I could see many schools considering dropping non revenue sports if it's no longer worth them financing the entire platform for others to make money while they make very little from it.
This is the classic economic fixed pie fallacy -- if I make $1, then someone else must lose $1.

Here's how much schools will lose: $0.

PSU will not lose one cent from people who paid RBY $10 for a raffle ticket -- or even those who paid $100 for 10 tickets. Iowa will not lose one cent from people who pay Spencer Lee $25 for a Cameo. Etc.

People may say they will buy one less t-shirt, but it's probably only true on the margins if at all -- in reality they'll buy one less of something else instead. Or more likely, they'll open their wallets.

Bordeaux wears a size 8 I think his wife said.
giphy.gif

This is the classic economic fixed pie fallacy -- if I make $1, then someone else must lose $1.

Here's how much schools will lose: $0.

PSU will not lose one cent from people who paid RBY $10 for a raffle ticket -- or even those who paid $100 for 10 tickets. Iowa will not lose one cent from people who pay Spencer Lee $25 for a Cameo. Etc.

People may say they will buy one less t-shirt, but it's probably only true on the margins if at all -- in reality they'll buy one less of something else instead. Or more likely, they'll open their wallets.
I need to move over into the world you live in. The one in which I currently reside forces me to make choices. Had it not, my entire closet would be full of PSU wrestling gear I didnt buy because I chose something else. Since I'm on a roll, let me talk about this as a tax payer. Many of these Universities are funded partly through the tax payer. Tell me why I should now feel good about a University giving an athlete a free or reduced education only to have them, their sponsor, tiki toc, Instagram or any other entity profit from their NIL being bolstered through the platform they are providing? In my opinion, pay for your education yourself through the money you generate through your NIL. Dont leave it up to the University or the tax payer especially when the sport you are participating in is already losing them money.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I need to move over into the world you live in. The one in which I currently reside forces me to make choices. Had it not, my entire closet would be full of PSU wrestling gear I didnt buy because I chose something else. Since I'm on a roll, let me talk about this as a tax payer. Many of these Universities are funded partly through the tax payer. Tell me why I should now feel good about a University giving an athlete a free or reduced education only to have them, their sponsor, tiki toc, Instagram or any other entity profit from their NIL being bolstered through the platform they are providing? In my opinion, pay for your education yourself through the money you generate through your NIL. Dont leave it up to the University or the tax payer especially when the sport you are participating in is already losing them money.

something that i don't think has been brought up in this thread is that there are ~30 guys on a wrestling team, but a maximum of 9.9 scholarships which means the university is bringing in the tuition revenue for ~20 guys. even at $20K/person, that's $400K which i'm assuming doesn't get counted as wrestling revenue. some might say that the university would fill those 30 spots with 30 people paying full tuition, but my experience in supplemental housing (a former study space that they put 4 bunk beds into) tells me that there's not really an upper limit on the number of students a university will accept.

Good point. I'm sure theres much I havent considered yet. El Jefe and I disagree. I still feel this will only hurt non revenue sports where administrations are already struggling to justify keeping them around. Digging in deeper for sure...

something that i don't think has been brought up in this thread is that there are ~30 guys on a wrestling team, but a maximum of 9.9 scholarships which means the university is bringing in the tuition revenue for ~20 guys. even at $20K/person, that's $400K which i'm assuming doesn't get counted as wrestling revenue. some might say that the university would fill those 30 spots with 30 people paying full tuition, but my experience in supplemental housing (a former study space that they put 4 bunk beds into) tells me that there's not really an upper limit on the number of students a university will accept.
Why in the hell should it be counted as wrestling revenue? Does each individual Academic College get to count the tuition dollars of all of their students as revenue? Unless University Park is at 100% acceptance rate, those @20 wrestlers would be filled by @20 non-wrestling students.

Penn State overbooks their dorms (which I suspect many universities do) because they know that every year x% of first year students drop out early in the first semester. If they didn't overbook, you'd have parents whining that UPark has empty dorms while their kid had to go to a branch campus.

Last edited:
Why in the hell should it be counted as wrestling revenue? Does each individual Academic College get to count the tuition dollars of all of their students as revenue? Unless University Park is at 100% acceptance rate, those @20 wrestlers would be filled by @20 non-wrestling students.

Penn State overbooks their dorms (which I suspect many universities do) because they know that every year x% of first year students drop out early in the first semester. If they didn't overbook, you'd have parents whining that UPark has empty dorms while their kid had to go to a branch campus.

no need to be so hostile. the reasoning would be that, if the wrestling program didn't exist, then those students wouldn't attend that university. yes, it's probably very easy to find 20 different student to fill those seats at penn state. but what about bloomsburg?

all i'm saying is that looking at something that says "X wrestling program losses Y thousand dollars per year" probably doesn't tell a completely accurate story in regards to its total financial impact to the university.

PSU continues to make more and more money every year, and they continue to spend almost every dollar they make. The whole system is broken. If you’re interested, The Knight Commission report provides a high level breakdown of the expenses….

PSU continues to make more and more money every year, and they continue to spend almost every dollar they make. The whole system is broken. If you’re interested, The Knight Commission report provides a high level breakdown of the expenses….
Yes yes...quick scan...exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Thank you, will look deeper although I suspect it will piss me off even further...

Reactions: Brian LB-U
ADVERTISEMENT