ADVERTISEMENT

RBY on You Tube

Concerning the racial slurs, where are all of our JS friends and others from over on HR. They are generally lounging around here on this board educating us and giving us some of their homespun wisdom on all things wrestling. I would love to have them check in and tell us how they think this type of bad behavior should be addressed at CHA.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Concerning the racial slurs, where are all of our JS friends and others from over on HR. They are generally lounging around here on this board educating us and giving us some of their homespun wisdom on all things wrestling. I would love to have them check in and tell us how they think this type of bad behavior should be addressed at CHA.
Unfortunately, they only like to hang around here, to act as a dorm room hall monitor, attempting to correct us.

Reactions: Split shot
RBY sharing stories of going out partying and dropping all those F Bombs means his career is over Id say , anyone else think so or am I just old? Like I know it happens obviously but that’s not Cael speak for sure

RBY sharing stories of going out partying and dropping all those F Bombs means his career is over Id say , anyone else think so or am I just old? Like I know it happens obviously but that’s not Cael speak for sure
My hunch is RBY wants to return but wants to make it worth his while since he has a lot of potential sponsorships coming and PSU had a hiccup with NIL this year. Knocking on wood but I think we make it work and he'll be here next January especially with his recent teases and him now saying he wants to wrestle through 2024. Need to give him flexibility if he wants to pursue MMA in the Fall though.

Reactions: creamery freak
I don't think so...yet.

My hunch is RBY wants to return but wants to make it worth his while since he has a lot of potential sponsorships coming and PSU had a hiccup with NIL this year. Knocking on wood but I think we make it work and he'll be here next January especially with his recent teases and him now saying he wants to wrestle through 2024. Need to give him flexibility if he wants to pursue MMA in the Fall though.
Sounds like he's coming back to train Freestyle for sure and try for a World championship. He could even give the 2024 Olympics a go. After that he said it is probably more realistic to go MMA.

Honestly guys? I think RBY just likes partying lol. Cael wants his guys to live the right life but obviously is flexible for guys who want to live the fun life also. You severely limit your recruiting base if you rule kids out who are clearly talented. If they get the results, let them do their thing.

The 90% who are good fans are the ones who collectively decided the moronic behavior was within acceptable levels.

You are right though. If the collective is given responsibility for the behavior of their own idiots, their reluctance to speak up would disappear.
Is it the stalling culture at CHA that prevents fans from taking action against those shouting out racial epithets? Or maybe they just know that even close Iowa teammates are not above shooting each other when provoked? #SelfPreservation

I kid, I kid, ... sort of. ;)

Someone finally posted the video, on HR, where RBY brings up being called the N word.

Here was the response so far.
“Go away troll.”

Typical, response for over there.

Reactions: Lyco1990
That was a fun interview with RBY. He seems so quiet on the PSU shows. Excited to watch him in the future.

Damn Freiermuth for stealing his pringles.

Honestly guys? I think RBY just likes partying lol. Cael wants his guys to live the right life but obviously is flexible for guys who want to live the fun life also. You severely limit your recruiting base if you rule kids out who are clearly talented. If they get the results, let them do their thing.

If we are honest, the season is over. After 6 months of the grind, I have no issue if RBY is blowing off some steam having fun like a lot of guys in their early 20's would do. Also keep in mind, RBY is trying to build a social media following and build a brand for $$$$.

Reactions: hlstone and therod
When you've wrestled nearly your entire life as RBY has, you know exactly what you need to do to make weight day after day. I used to predict how much I lost during each practice before weighing myself afterward and if you do that long enough, you have a great sense of what it takes to get to the weight you need to get to for a weigh-in.

Not surprised to hear RBY weighed so much between weigh-ins at Nationals without seemingly a care in the world. He knew what he needed to do to shed the lbs and also what he needs to eat/drink to perform to his max each round. Losing water weight is a snap when you are hydrated.

going to bars are where the scene is at for a lot.. doesn't mean he is getting stoned drunk and he is 'of age'... kid is in college, I hope he can have fun (more fun)

It's the off season, I doubt many of these elite athletes get very far off the path...

Reactions: nitlion6
When you've wrestled nearly your entire life as RBY has, you know exactly what you need to do to make weight day after day. I used to predict how much I lost during each practice before weighing myself afterward and if you do that long enough, you have a great sense of what it takes to get to the weight you need to get to for a weigh-in.

Not surprised to hear RBY weighed so much between weigh-ins at Nationals without seemingly a care in the world. He knew what he needed to do to shed the lbs and also what he needs to eat/drink to perform to his max each round. Losing water weight is a snap when you are hydrated.
Agree. Making weight every weekend, sometimes twice and at NCAA's 3 times wears on the majority of wrestlers. Some manage weight better than others, RBY, for one, does it well.

It's real interesting talking to fans about this. Some understand, others don't have a clue. Poor performance is one result of not managing weight, yet every good kid that gets upset must have been sick/ill to some. It's up there with poor diet, poor sleeping habits, poor fitness and other aspects...all part of the process that Cael teaches.

Agree. Making weight every weekend, sometimes twice and at NCAA's 3 times wears on the majority of wrestlers. Some manage weight better than others, RBY, for one, does it well.

It's real interesting talking to fans about this. Some understand, others don't have a clue. Poor performance is one result of not managing weight, yet every good kid that gets upset must have been sick/ill to some. It's up there with poor diet, poor sleeping habits, poor fitness and other aspects...all part of the process that Cael teaches.
On your second paragraph … I think there’s a lot of discussion in places like this one where we’re just trying to classify an “off” performance so we understand it shouldn’t carry a lot of weight for future predictions. And we certainly may get a little sloppy with what exactly we attribute it to.

Reactions: RoarLions1

Funny RBY story. My mother, who is a season ticket holder, was heading to Florida and in the airport, at the same time our wrestlers were heading to, I think it was the Scuffle. My mother was sitting in the airport a few seats away from Cael. This was RBY’s freshman year and he strolls by, holding an oversized cupcake, with about an 1 1/2” of frosting on top and sits down next to Cael. My mother asks Cael, is he not wrestling and doesn’t have to make weight? Straight faced Cael says, with a little irritation in his tone - Oh he’s wrestling and he’ll make weight, it’s just that he’s one of our wrestlers that we still have a lot of work to do, on learning proper weight management.

Last edited:
Funny RBY story. My mother, who is a season ticket holder, was heading to Florida and in the airport, at the same time our wrestlers were heading to, I think it was the Scuffle. My mother was sitting in the airport a few seats away from Cael. This was RBY’s freshman year and he strolls by, holding an oversized cupcake, with about an 1 1/2” of frosting on top and sits down next to Cael. My mother asks Cael, is he not wrestling and doesn’t have to make weight? Straight faced Cael, says with a little irritation in his tone - Oh he’s wrestling and he’ll make weight, it’s just that he’s one of our wrestlers that we still have a lot of work to do, on learning proper weight management.
So you're saying RBY would've eaten the corn dogs Starocci turned down?

What does he say about Masvidal?
RBY said nothing about Masvidal. The hosts discussed the incident before RBY joined…

But Kahbib wants everyone to boycott fighting Covington because, he trash talks about his opponents kids. RBY likes Kahbib, so.. I would assume RBY thinks Covington is not cool.

Reactions: androcles
Trouble with something like this it's tough to catch or police. And in a crowd of like 15k? Good luck with that.

Permanently revoke season tickets for the entire sections along the entrance unless the person is turned over. Somebody knows and isn't speaking up.

Of course this would require the Iowa administration, BIG administration and NCAA to care. Which they obviously dont.
Yeah, that would never work, say I'm a 66 year old retired veteran with hearing loss due to a combat injury and I was in the van during the incident?
I'd be paying for my RV with that settlement.

Reactions: PAgeologist
I finally got around to watching the video. It’s too bad RBY wasn’t at Penn State the same time I was. He would have been a really fun guy to hang around with. At the same time, it’s probably best that we aren’t the same age. At that point in my life I suspect that I wouldn’t have been the best influence for him. I’m certainly rooting for his success in whatever he decides to do next. I wouldn’t be half surprised if we see him some day on the big screen!

I finally got around to watching the video. It’s too bad RBY wasn’t at Penn State the same time I was. He would have been a really fun guy to hang around with. At the same time, it’s probably best that we aren’t the same age. At that point in my life I suspect that I wouldn’t have been the best influence for him. I’m certainly rooting for his success in whatever he decides to do next. I wouldn’t be half surprised if we see him some day on the big screen!
He may have been a good influence on you.

I liked the part where he was talking about wrestling Micah Parsons. RBY said he took Parsons down at practice and declared the match was basically over. He talked about the 3 day weigh ins at the NCAA tournament and said he likes to eat and rehydrate after a match until he feels good. He said he was 8 pounds over after the DeSanto match, which is unbelievable. He likes to get in hot tubs to help him get rid of the water weight. Great interview!
Of course RBY declared it over after the first takedown. Always best to quit when you're ahead. :)

Reactions: creamery freak
It sounds Like RBY enjoys living and knows precisely how much fun he can have and still make weight the next morning. 8lbs in 24 hours is no challenge for him. 8 lbs in 12 hours.....a bit of an inconvenience but not a tragedy. He is well aware of his own personal data. I look forward to to him making wise decisions and continued winning throughout the 2022-2023 season :)

ADVERTISEMENT