ADVERTISEMENT

Football RB Noah Cain enters the Transfer Portal

So we are now mocking people because they had an ACL injury? I dont think Saquon looks the same for the Giants after his injuries. Should we mock him too?
2 years removed. If he couldn't be effective he should not have been on the field and that's on Franklin.

Cain and Lee are slow backs in a slow developing run game. You watch how much better the OL will be with Singleton running the ball.

Seider is the most over rated coach in college football.

Here’s hoping this fall 99% of all running plays won’t be run from a shotgun formation with a single running back, the ball snapped with one second left on the play clock and handed to the running back at the exact same spot 7 yds behind the LOS. Because that = LOSS & LOST!

AND

There is no misdirection ON the field the only misdirection is the poor play calling from the sideline OFF the field.

I don't know if Cain will make a substantial improvement in 2022, but I consider this to be a big loss. I do think Lee is pretty good and should get substantial playing time, if not starting. I know Singleton is highly rated, but you never know for sure with freshmen and injuries are a factor, especially at RB.

Here’s hoping this fall 99% of all running plays won’t be run from a shotgun formation with a single running back, the ball snapped with one second left on the play clock and handed to the running back at the exact same spot 7 yds behind the LOS. Because that = LOSS & LOST!

AND

There is no misdirection ON the field the only misdirection is the poor play calling from the sideline OFF the field.
I pretty much agree with this. Everyone criticizes the OL's run blocking, but this scheme is part of the problem. Also, defenses load up against the run because they'd rather see the ball in Clifford's hands.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I pretty much agree with this. Everyone criticizes the OL's run blocking, but this scheme is part of the problem. Also, defenses load up against the run because they'd rather see the ball in Clifford's hands.

The scheme and the lack of imaginative and creative play calling definitely hinders ANY OL. PSU’s scheme / play calling gives our OL absolutely no help and no chance to be even halfway decent.

The Noah Cain story is the precise reason people opt out. Here is a kid who was highly touted, came in and made an immediate impact on the team as freshman, even set some freshman records. Then has an injury in the 1st game and has never been the same. None of it is his fault. All it took was one unlucky play to change the entire trajectory of his career. From heralded freshman with potential future all-american status and upper round draft pick to the transfer portal in an attempt to rejuvenate his career from one unlucky play in the 1st series of the 1st game.

I don't know if Cain will make a substantial improvement in 2022, but I consider this to be a big loss. I do think Lee is pretty good and should get substantial playing time, if not starting. I know Singleton is highly rated, but you never know for sure with freshmen and injuries are a factor, especially at RB.
what would be your reason to consider this a big loss?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cain is going to get healthy...get the reps and carries of a feature back at another top 25 program and be a 3rd or 4th round pick in the NFL some day.
There are dangers to drinking alcohol so early in the day.

Franklin most likely meets with all the players or at least the starters who have eligibility left as part of a process. The guy is organized and process driven and one of his strengths is administration so I would bet he has some kind of disciplined process in place. Just wish he was better a winning games!

He probably sat down with Cain and
maybe his parents. Gave them the straight scoop that with Singleton and Allen coming in as well as his performance this season that it was going to be tough for him to see the field next season or at least his playing time could very well drop. He most likely did not get a good assessment of how he performed this year.

I think Holmes bolts, outlook cannot be good for him. He can't see the field without Singleton and Allen.

Lee probably stays. Franklin needs him as a #2 to Allen and a more senior guy in that room.

I think Ford stays as well. Another veteran guy and maybe opportunities for him on special teams. He could give Singleton a break here and there. He may want to stay at PSU also.

Reactions: marshall23
Should have said potential big loss. He may or may not get his quickness back.
I think we will be ok. I am not saying that our OL doesn't need a lot of help, but the RB's and the system do us no favor. Lee and Cain are slow, slow, slow backs. Never a threat to take it to the house.

I think we will be ok. I am not saying that our OL doesn't need a lot of help, but the RB's and the system do us no favor. Lee and Cain are slow, slow, slow backs. Never a threat to take it to the house.
You are right, they are slooooow. Take it to the house?!! Heck, I would take a 5 yard gain!

Franklin most likely meets with all the players or at least the starters who have eligibility left as part of a process. The guy is organized and process driven and one of his strengths is administration so I would bet he has some kind of disciplined process in place. Just wish he was better a winning games!

He probably sat down with Cain and
maybe his parents. Gave them the straight scoop that with Singleton and Allen coming in as well as his performance this season that it was going to be tough for him to see the field next season or at least his playing time could very well drop. He most likely did not get a good assessment of how he performed this year.

I think Holmes bolts, outlook cannot be good for him. He can't see the field without Singleton and Allen.

Lee probably stays. Franklin needs him as a #2 to Allen and a more senior guy in that room.

I think Ford stays as well. Another veteran guy and maybe opportunities for him on special teams. He could give Singleton a break here and there. He may want to stay at PSU also.
I hope Holmes stays. He has speed. Apparently had some injury issues early on and took the redshirt.

I hope Holmes stays. He has speed. Apparently had some injury issues early on and took the redshirt.
Was he redshirted this year? I did not know that but explains why we never saw him. I agree if he has potential and speed then let him compete.

Singleton bring that back and brings us back to the barkley/sanders years
I hope you are right! It would be awesome if Singleton had a great debut against Purdon't and ran all over them. More importantly was huge for us against scUM and OHowIHate. Can you imagine a workhorse back who gets us key first downs and a big time threat to take it to the house!

The key is the ability to take it to the house because it opens up the deep passes. Right now no DB’s have to cheat up to help with the run because there is no threat and usually a LB can track them down. The S has to cheat down on a back like Singleton.

The key is the ability to take it to the house because it opens up the deep passes. Right now no DB’s have to cheat up to help with the run because there is no threat and usually a LB can track them down. The S has to cheat down on a back like Singleton.
He also has to keep an eye on the back instead of full attention on receivers. A good fake will get better results when they respect the backs.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Now he can get yelled at by a redfaced Brian Kelly for running East / West too much instead of being loved up here.

LSU has won 7 SEC West Titles; 5 SEC Titles; played in 4 National Championship Games; and won 3 National Championships in the last 19 years. Noah Cain is coming home to play for LSU and help rebuild LSU. A lot of Louisiana kids are transferring to LSU and Noah is one of them.

Now he can get yelled at by a redfaced Brian Kelly for running East / West too much instead of being loved up here.
Will be interesting to see Kelly at LSU, as now that he's not at the golden dome he may bring back some or all of his former in game four letter word motivational comments and screams on the sidelines.....

I have news for you people, transferring to LSU is an upgrade from Penn State......Period........This isn't an argument it is straight truth and no person outside of the Penn State fan base would think otherwise. Nobody.
LSU has won 3 of the last 19 National Titles, singularly behind Alabama in that category over that span and fielded the greatest offense in the history of college football in 2019, yes, better than 1994 Penn State and 2001 Miami.
LSU has won more national titles this century than Penn State has in its entire history. Cain is going home and to a better football program. Penn State has a lot of work to do to get to LSU's level on the field. I know people hate reality but there it is.

So we are now mocking people because they had an ACL injury? I dont think Saquon looks the same for the Giants after his injuries. Should we mock him too?
I watched the Giants/Eagles game in it's entirety a few weeks ago. There were two 6 yard runs that Barkley had where he would have taken them to the house with ease 3 years ago. Instead he got run down from behind by a middle linebacker both times before he could even get to the first down stix. It was really sad to see. Saquon is fragment of the player he used to be right now. However, it is typical that it takes a year to physically heal then another year to heal your mind and confidence in your body with an ACL for a RB so next year is the real the test for Barkley. If he can't return to form next season then he probably never will.
Barkley was the best, I surely hope he can be that explosive guy again, because only a few have ever had that type pop. I always saw Saquon as a cross between Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders but durability is nearly as important of trait as 40 time when you are NFL running back.

TIFWIW, but Lamont Wade posted on his social media that Cain is “smart” “to get the hell out of there”, and then commented/congratulated him on Cain’s social media.

I am also speculating that Cain did not enjoy his time at Penn State. If you remember, Cain silently committed to Penn State a week or two before signing day. Franklin later spent a couple of hours convincing Cain and his Mom to stay committed to Penn State the night before and morning of signing day, because Cain was leaning towards Texas. I also read an insider’s post that Franklin convinced Cain to stay at Penn State during the pandemic in 2020 rather than moving back home.

TIFWIW, but Lamont Wade posted on his social media that Cain is “smart” “to get the hell out of there”, and then commented/congratulated him on Cain’s social media.

I am also speculating that Cain did not enjoy his time at Penn State. If you remember, Cain silently committed to Penn State a week or two before signing day. Franklin later spent a couple of hours convincing Cain and his Mom to stay committed to Penn State the night before and morning of signing day, because Cain was leaning towards Texas. I also read an insider’s post that Franklin convinced Cain to stay at Penn State during the pandemic in 2020 rather than moving back home.
Lamont isn’t exactly the most reputable source for these sorts of things.

Exactly. Plus, how is he doing in the NFL?

I’m sure he blames the PSU staff rather than looking in the mirror as to why he is not in the NFL.
Wade made his high school career by beating up the Little Sisters of the Poor in wpial class a football. The time he was there they also had lineman that were significantly larger than most schools that size as well as three or four other star athletes. They had a coach who left his starters in the entire game to run up the score and stats for his kids and never taught them anything about sportsmanship class or how to be a real man. He was exceptionally over ranked as a recruit based off of the caliber of opponents he had in high school as well as his size. Tons of people on this board and the previous one we're going crazy over getting him because they thought it was in roads to some of the with the old schools that previously would never send their kid to Penn State but ultimately they didn't do enough background check to see Wade was a punk and only cared about seeing his overrated 5 stars and a clairton kid finally coming to psu.

Wade made his high school career by beating up the Little Sisters of the Poor in wpial class a football. The time he was there they also had lineman that were significantly larger than most schools that size as well as three or four other star athletes. They had a coach who left his starters in the entire game to run up the score and stats for his kids and never taught them anything about sportsmanship class or how to be a real man. He was exceptionally over ranked as a recruit based off of the caliber of opponents he had in high school as well as his size. Tons of people on this board and the previous one we're going crazy over getting him because they thought it was in roads to some of the with the old schools that previously would never send their kid to Penn State but ultimately they didn't do enough background check to see Wade was a punk and only cared about seeing his overrated 5 stars and a clairton kid finally coming to psu.
I'm sure not defending Wade's public criticism, but in Class A a team like Clairton might have less than 25 actual players on their team. So it's not like 6A where there are plenty of young players to put into a game when a team already is up 4 or 5 TD's. It's part of the reason there are so many lopsided scores, with the fact that 1 or 2 top players on a single A team give that team a more disproportionate advantage than a 6A team would have with those same players.

I posted this once in the past I believe, but I walked out of the B/W game the Spring when Wade had been moved to Safety during or after the previous year, and walked a ways with his parents. They both had Wade jerseys on and when I asked if they were from Clairton (where my father in law grew up) our conversation quickly led them to complain about their son's lack of playing time. We were about at the end of the road from the stadium so I said have a nice day and went on my way. But their attitude was that their son was a super star and that he should be on the field no matter what the coaches thought. Even though he was learning a new position. Lamont seemed to have the same attitude as evidenced by his attempt to transfer. Likely no other high P5 program was willing to tell him he would walk in and start so he came back to PSU, but his thoughts that he got shafted must still be in his mind these years later.... Sad really.

I'm sure not defending Wade's public criticism, but in Class A a team like Clairton might have less than 25 actual players on their team. So it's not like 6A where there are plenty of young players to put into a game when a team already is up 4 or 5 TD's. It's part of the reason there are so many lopsided scores, with the fact that 1 or 2 top players on a single A team give that team a more disproportionate advantage than a 6A team would have with those same players.

I posted this once in the past I believe, but I walked out of the B/W game the Spring when Wade had been moved to Safety during or after the previous year, and walked a ways with his parents. They both had Wade jerseys on and when I asked if they were from Clairton (where my father in law grew up) our conversation quickly led them to complain about their son's lack of playing time. We were about at the end of the road from the stadium so I said have a nice day and went on my way. But their attitude was that their son was a super star and that he should be on the field no matter what the coaches thought. Even though he was learning a new position. Lamont seemed to have the same attitude as evidenced by his attempt to transfer. Likely no other high P5 program was willing to tell him he would walk in and start so he came back to PSU, but his thoughts that he got shafted must still be in his mind these years later.... Sad really.
I understand what you're saying about the roster size but I'd seen them put up 80 on my former High School so I knew that not only were they not subbing in players but they were still on side kicking and blessing on defense up 60 + points.
Not one surprised at all with your experience with his family because that's exactly how they seemed at his high school games. They felt he should have been in the NFL as a high school senior. His parents and that community and his coaches let him down by allowing him to get away with whatever he wanted to do and not making him work for anything.

Eric Renkey says hold my beer..........

If he can get healthy and back to early 2019 form...he could be a star at LSU.

Instead, he might be a Silas Redd type of player...one of three or four excellent backs for a very good, not great program.

It's at least a parallel situation as to what he's got at PSU. And if it's a more familiar locale and culture to him, he should be very comfortable there. I wish him the best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT