ADVERTISEMENT

Football RB Noah Cain enters the Transfer Portal

Think this is the best move for all involved. Noah should have a good number of options and if he can get healthy he can be a damn good addition. For Penn State, I’ve maintained that Nick Singleton should be RB1 the moment he steps on campus. While that likely won’t be the case, I’ll be a mildly surprised if he’s not starting to end the 2022 season.

Am I the only one that is devastated by this? Pre-injury he was superb and he would have been a huge asset next season if he gets back to full health.
Its disappointing because I think the coaching staff really screwed this situation up by thinking the success of Barkley and Sanders could dictate how they recruit and play their running backs. The whole "running back by committee" does not work. Franklin, Trautwein, Yurcich, and Seider are clearly not on the same page when it comes to the running game.

Am I the only one that is devastated by this? Pre-injury he was superb and he would have been a huge asset next season if he gets back to full health.
He would’ve been the same rb he was this year. Subpar and how can you think his health would be at 100% when it hasn’t been that at all his entire stint here?

I wouldn’t say devastated but I am saddened by it. Cain in 2019 was a great back and I keep holding out hope that he can heal up and return to that form. I get that it’s unlikely to happen and it’s best for him to move on but it’s not a joyful thing.

The one I don’t get is Ford. He was basically bad in 2020 as the primary back. I don’t see a future for him here and am surprised he hasn’t portaled yet.

Hope the young man excels where ever he lands. Appreciate he gave us a couple good years of his life.

Going portal has to be a difficult decision. Leaving behind friends on and off the team, leaving a system you know, trying to find a good fit. Good luck with all.

**** Does Kentucky need a running back?*****

Cain had some burst in the bowl game.

Yep, I thought he moved the best he's moved since his injury in the bowl game. Unfortunately our OL and TE suck so bad run blocking you almost need a guy like Lee (when he runs north/south) or someone like Barkley who can make something out of nothing.

Yep, I thought he moved the best he's moved since his injury in the bowl game. Unfortunately our OL and TE suck so bad run blocking you almost need a guy like Lee (when he runs north/south) or someone like Barkley who can make something out of nothing.
He definitely looked like he got his burst back.

Reactions: TheGLOV
RB by Committee DOES NOT WORK. Lee needs to portal next. A team doesn't need more than 1 Big Back and Allen will take that spot.

Every Down Back Depth:
Singleton
Ford
Homes

Short Yardage Guy:
Allen
Why Lee? He was our most productive RB. I know that's not saying much but do you really think Ford is better?

RB has to be the worst position to play. I get the committee approach to try and extend their careers and limit the chances for potential injury, but it doesn’t work. Players still get injured and no one gets to be “the guy” with any consistency. Good luck to Noah.

I wouldn’t say devastated but I am saddened by it. Cain in 2019 was a great back and I keep holding out hope that he can heal up and return to that form. I get that it’s unlikely to happen and it’s best for him to move on but it’s not a joyful thing.

The one I don’t get is Ford. He was basically bad in 2020 as the primary back. I don’t see a future for him here and am surprised he hasn’t portaled yet.
Things for him kinda went south since IU...however there may be more than football playing time to this. His family sat near me during the Michigan game...the only people with 28 jerseys in the stadium. Exiting, what appeared to be his girlfriend politely asked if she could cut in line in front of me to stay with the family. Of course I obliged.

Maybe, just maybe, Ford is an old school Penn Stater at heart who loves our school, is happy with his relationships and major and is working like hell to get back to where he was before the infamous score? Maybe he sees what patience did for #5 Robinson at Bama? I have no idea from a brief interaction. Nobody was smiling that afternoon, b/c it was a tough loss, but once you hear the roar of 107,000 would more playing time at an empty Lincoln Financial Field for the Owls be better? Today's players are definitely different. We'll see about his future. I hope he finds a role as a back/slot/ special teams player at least. If he has to leave so be it. His call.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I really loved Noah his freshman year. In that Iowa game when he cemented the win, he was very impressive. Unfortunately, he just had one injury after another and never was able to regain that burst and drive. He did improve some as the season went on but he was hesitant most of the year. He was given ample opportunities, IMO. I wish him all the best and I hope he can regain his health fully. Good luck, Noah!

Just want to jump in here re: the "by committee" stuff. While the staff will always rotate 2 or maybe 3 backs, the last two years have seen a rotation out of necessity, not preference. None of backs stepped up and took the job the way Barkley or Sanders had. Journey Brown, had he been able to return, would've seen the lion's share of the workload in 2020.

I would love to see a duo like we had in Enis / Harris. Those were some frustrating years in terms if wasted opportunities overall, but that running back tandem was awesome.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
I would love to see a duo like we had in Enis / Harris. Those were some frustrating years in terms if wasted opportunities overall, but that running back tandem was awesome.
Finding the right balance of raw talent and game experience is the trick. Remember when Shelly Hammonds came out of nowhere to lead us to victory at BC with 200+ yards only to switch to dB ( and an NFL career)?

There will be injuries and who knows what health protocols may lay ahead for whatever the next variant is. It feels like people just want to clear out kids...which is a sign of the times too.

Hope the young man excels where ever he lands. Appreciate he gave us a couple good years of his life.

Going portal has to be a difficult decision. Leaving behind friends on and off the team, leaving a system you know, trying to find a good fit. Good luck with all.

**** Does Kentucky need a running back?*****
I was thinking Virginia Tech.

So we are now mocking people because they had an ACL injury? I dont think Saquon looks the same for the Giants after his injuries. Should we mock him too?
I hope he gets his health back. He seems to have lost his ability to provide that late game guaranteed 3-4 yds per carry he had midway through his freshman year-which nobody else on this team has been able to do (otherwise, there probably would have been several more Ws), but showed flashes on some plays. I can understand his looking at the portal. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
Cain and Lee are slow backs in a slow developing run game. You watch how much better the OL will be with Singleton running the ball.

Seider is the most over rated coach in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT