ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings Updates - December 2021

Oh, I get why you’re saying what you’re saying. Up till this point, Brooks hasn’t been a big bonus guy but think Cael is getting in some guys ears that they need to open up a bit because every point is gonna count. I think Aaron may be looking to score more so Cael isn’t PISSED. :)
he wasn't trying last year? lol

has he developed a turn this year? it's really hard to bonus ranked wrestlers without a turn. that's always been his bonus ceiling. with the 2-1 takedown/escape exchange, it's really hard to pick up big bonus without a turn. there are a lot of guys who could hold brooks to a decision who i think he would 10-0 pretty easily in freestyle. not a talent thing. a combination of his style and folkstyle.

Reactions: KOPStu

has he developed a turn this year? it's really hard to bonus ranked wrestlers without a turn. that's always been his bonus ceiling. with the 2-1 takedown/escape exchange, it's really hard to pick up big bonus without a turn. there are a lot of guys who could hold brooks to a decision who i think he would 10-0 pretty easily in freestyle. not a talent thing. a combination of his style and folkstyle.
If I were to guess, I’d say he was trying. Lol. He’s older, more mature. Younger guys tend to wrestle more controlled matches and once they start gaining more confidence they open it up a bit. We’ve seen it time and time again at PSU during Caels tenure. They come in winning close matches and once they become juniors and seniors they are bonusing almost everyone they wrestle. I think Aaron is going to be that guy. Zain rode the shit out of everyone but didn’t turn guys like Assad his first year or two. After that he turned nearly everyone. I think we some growth in that area from Aaron this year. He didn’t wrestle anyone highly ranked so far this year but he has bonused all 3 matches he wrestled thus far. Time will tell.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE

Btw, You and I have a vastly differing opinions on Assad so that plays into our disagreement as well. You may think he’s much improved since Aaron beat him a couple years ago but I do not. I actually think we are going to find out he has regressed to be honest with you. Couple that with my belief that Aaron is much better than he was back then, I think a major is a pretty good bet. Hope we get to find out.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
If I were to guess, I’d say he was trying. Lol. He’s older, more mature. Younger guys tend to wrestle more controlled matches and once they start gaining more confidence they open it up a bit. We’ve seen it time and time again at PSU during Caels tenure. They come in winning close matches and once they become juniors and seniors they are bonusing almost everyone they wrestle. I think Aaron is going to be that guy. Zain rode the shit out of everyone but didn’t turn guys like Assad his first year or two. After that he turned nearly everyone. I think we some growth in that area from Aaron this year. He didn’t wrestle anyone highly ranked so far this year but he has bonused all 3 matches he wrestled thus far. Time will tell.
IDK maybe just maybe both of them are older and more mature.

Btw, You and I have a vastly differing opinions on Assad so that plays into our disagreement as well. You may think he’s much improved since Aaron beat him a couple years ago but I do not. I actually think we are going to find out he has regressed to be honest with you. Couple that with my belief that Aaron is much better than he was back then, I think a major is a pretty good bet. Hope we get to find out.
i've seen nothing to tell me he's much improved. i've never disagreed with your wrestling assessment of assad. let that speak for itself. it's the psychologizing and claiming that he wants to quit i took issue with.

i'll add that one reason to remain somewhat optimistic on assad is that he's historically a slow starter. he got off to a rough start his freshman year. he lost to a d3 guy and then got dominated by julian broderson. by midlands, he was the starter over a returning r12 guy. we'll see if he wrestles his way into form again this year.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
i'll add that one reason to remain somewhat optimistic on assad is that he's historically a slow starter. he got off to a rough start his freshman year. he lost to a d3 guy and then got dominated by julian broderson. by midlands, he was the starter over a returning r12 guy. we'll see if he wrestles his way into form again this year.
Liking each other’s posts! Thats a good start JTS, maybe by Christmas you will be having dinner together?

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Liking each other’s posts! Thats a good start JTS, maybe by Christmas you will be having dinner together?
Du4IIVEUUAAssZP.jpg

Back to the original topic ...

Some not-great news: Utah Valley AA Demetrius Romero blew out his knee and is done for the year.

Romero is a 2x B12 champ and ranked #7 at 165. We remember him from last year's 174 OT semis match vs. Starocci.

Something came up last week and I lapsed on watching the rankings, but Intermat’s Dec 22nd update saw some changes . . .

Gap between Iowa (108.5) and PSU (107) closing to 1.5 pts, which could be overcome once Hildebrandt enters the rankings.

Individual changes for PSU & Iowa . . .
149: Bartlett up two spots to #20, Murin down four spots to #12.
157: Young down four spots to #12.
165: Edsell down one spot to #27.
184: Assad back in the rankings at #18.
197: Warner up one spot to #6.
285: No change (grrrr).

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT