ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings Updates - December 2021

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Intermat Rankings updated today.

PSU creeping closer and closer. Tournament gap closing to just 5 points this week (112-107).

PSU/Iowa changes from last week:
149 - Murin up one spot to #8, Bartlett down three spots to #23
165 - Edsell up five spots to #27
184 - Assad (somewhere in the teens last week) replaced with Wilson at #29
197 - Dean up one spot to #3, Warner down four spots to #7
285 - Cassioppi up one spot to #6

No rankings for PSU at 125, 157.

PSU creeping closer and closer. Tournament gap closing to just 5 points this week (112-107).

No rankings for PSU at 125, 157.
No Negron at #11???? Come on Willie!

No rankings for PSU at 125,
I see elite Mike Van Brill is making his annual march up the rankings to qualify for the Big Tens. He’s ranked 21 already.

Flo now has PSU 1st in the team standings by 1.5 points over Iowa.

The only differences in the individual rankings are:

149 (Flo has Bartlett 19th, Intermat has him 23rd)
165 (Flo has Bull 4th, Intermat has him 1st; Flo has Edsell 16th, Intermat has him 27th)
197 (Flo has Dean 2nd, Intermat has him 3rd)
285, (Flo has Cassioppi 5th, Intermat has him 6th)

Last edited:
Can someone, way smarter than me explain Intermat's scoring rubric in the sense that last week the team score was projected as 114-106. Is the difference from Dean moving from 4th to 3rd and Beau moving from 20th to 23rd really 1 point?

Can someone, way smarter than me explain Intermat's scoring rubric in the sense that last week the team score was projected as 114-106. Is the difference from Dean moving from 4th to 3rd and Beau moving from 20th to 23rd really 1 point?
10 points for 3rd and 9 points for 4th equals 1 point. 20th thru 24th earns the same 0.5 points. It's really not complicated at all if you put an effort into it. :cool:

Probably? 4th to third only worth one placement point, 20 and 23 both the ~equivalent of 1-2

10 points for 3rd and 9 points for 4th equals 1 point. 20th thru 24th earns the same 0.5 points. It's really not complicated at all if you put an effort into it. :cool:
Does this include advancement points?

Does this include advancement points?
Yes, no advancement points in placement matches and the 0.5 for 20th thru 24th is advancement points for one win in the consys. It does not include any bonus points earned as that is unknown until it happens.

Reactions: rmg78
Intermat's dual meet rankings dont make sense.

Penn State is higher ranked at six weights. 18-12 before bonus.

Give Spencer 3 bonus points. 18-15.

Young doesn't scream bonus potential, but let's give him one anyway. 18-16.

Is Marinelli going to out bonus Brooks? Marinelli vs Edsell and Brooks vs Wilson. For the sake of argument, I'll give them each a bonus point. 19-17.

How does Iowa win, on Intermat paper and according to Intermat rankings? How can Iowa be #1 and Penn State be #2 in the dual rankings when they predict a Penn State victory?

Intermat's dual meet rankings dont make sense.

Penn State is higher ranked at six weights. 18-12 before bonus.

How does Iowa win, on Intermat paper and according to Intermat rankings? How can Iowa be #1 and Penn State be #2 in the dual rankings when they predict a Penn State victory?
Why do hot dogs come in packs of 12 while the buns come in packs of 8?? It is the way of the Universe sometimes. There is no logical explanation.......it just is :)

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
I haven't gone this direction in a while. Seems to me if we had Sasso, the Iowa breakdown would be not as close.
If I'm not mistaken Sasso was a Pennsylvania kid. 😉😒
You know, I was going to post that I'm glad we didn't recruit Sasso after watching that match against Yianni. But I showed restraint...and now this... ;) :rolleyes:

Why do hot dogs come in packs of 12 while the buns come in packs of 8?? It is the way of the Universe sometimes. There is no logical explanation.......it just is :)
Buns go stale much faster than hotdogs and sometimes you just want 2 dogs per bun. If things must work out exactly even, buy the big dogs in 8 packs, buy lots of extra everything and invite friends with coolers of beer. Then who cares what the count is. Share any leftovers with your dogs, squirrels and birds. Life is meant to be celebrated and shared.

Two dogs in one bun!

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F27348de7-7aa4-4b19-ad60-e4b6a284b2e7_443x312.gif

You know, I was going to post that I'm glad we didn't recruit Sasso after watching that match against Yianni. But I showed restraint...and now this... ;) :rolleyes:
I've liked Sasso since his junior year in high school. I've posted to the point of nausea about my disappointment that he's not wrestling for Penn State over the years. It was intended for a chuckle.😂
As for your comment about Sasso's performance against Yianni, no one is beating him unless he gets caught on a big to his back move. He's too good to try to to win tactical match.

I've liked Sasso since his junior year in high school. I've posted to the point of nausea about my disappointment that he's not wrestling for Penn State over the years. It was intended for a chuckle.😂
As for your comment about Sasso's performance against Yianni, no one is beating him unless he gets caught on a big to his back move. He's too good to try to to win tactical match.
I've read all your lamenting posts on Sasso ad nauseam. My post was meant for a chuckle too. Sasso is a great wrestler and I think there is a spot in our lineup he could slot into very nicely...sorta maybe.

Reactions: Callthestall
Intermat rankings updated today, with no meaningful changes with respect to PSU and Iowa (still a 5-pt gap at 112-107). Michigan and ASU tied for a distant 3rd (68).

Actual changes for PSU & Iowa:
149 - Bartlett up one spot to #22
165 - Edsell up one spot to #26
184 - Wilson up one spot to #28

Intermat rankings updated today, with no meaningful changes with respect to PSU and Iowa (still a 5-pt gap at 112-107). Michigan and ASU tied for a distant 3rd (68).

Actual changes for PSU & Iowa:
149 - Bartlett up one spot to #22
165 - Edsell up one spot to #26
184 - Wilson up one spot to #28
Still doesn’t make sense to rank Iowa ahead of Penn State in dual meet ranking when their own individual rankings predict a penn state dual victory.

Still doesn’t make sense to rank Iowa ahead of Penn State in dual meet ranking when their own individual rankings predict a penn state dual victory.
I can just barely see a case for it, if they are projecting bonus point potential in the dual ranking. On straight paper rankings, we win 6 matches to 4, but the disparities in rankings at 5 weights (125, 149, 157, 165, 184) suggest bonus potential for those. Ok, ok, we know Murin isn’t really going to bonus Bartlett, but just for a straight paper exercise, humor me here . . . We would be favored in only one of those bonus weights (184). Let’s assign bonus as such:
125 = #1 vs NR = fall (Iowa)
149 = #8 vs #22 = major (Iowa)
157 = #8 vs NR = tech (Iowa)
165 = #1 vs #26 = tech (Iowa)
184 = #1 vs #28 = tech (PSU)

PSU 5 decisions, 1 tech = 20 pts
Iowa 1 fall, 2 techs, 1 major = 20 pts

Iowa wins on tiebreaker criteria (most falls).

That would be a hypothetical paper excercise. Of course, in real life, no one should be expecting Murin to major Bartlett, and I think it would be a stretch for Young to tech anyone who isn’t a total fish. Maybe the same goes for Marinelli. If just one of those bonus projections is false, PSU wins.

And that’s not even factoring in a team point deduction for bad behavior. 😉

Anyway, if all else holds steady, we could (should?) see PSU in the #1 dual slot once Hildebrandt hits the rankings, or we get a 157 ranked, or something improves our ranking substantially at 165.

Reactions: danoftw
I can just barely see a case for it, if they are projecting bonus point potential in the dual ranking. On straight paper rankings, we win 6 matches to 4, but the disparities in rankings at 5 weights (125, 149, 157, 165, 184) suggest bonus potential for those. Ok, ok, we know Murin isn’t really going to bonus Bartlett, but just for a straight paper exercise, humor me here . . . We would be favored in only one of those bonus weights (184). Let’s assign bonus as such:

That would be a hypothetical paper excercise. Of course, in real life, no one should be expecting Murin to major Bartlett, and I think it would be a stretch for Young to tech anyone who isn’t a total fish. Maybe the same goes for Marinelli. If just one of those bonus projections is false, PSU wins.

Anyway, if all else holds steady, we could (should?) see PSU in the #1 dual slot once Hildebrandt hits the rankings, or we get a 157 ranked, or something improves our ranking substantially at 165.
It would have to be the 157 or 165 improvement. Drew has suffered a major and TF at Spencers hands, the latter coming against an injured Spencer (tho he doesn’t care about ACL’s). I would want to hinge my hopes on anyone or anything vs Lee.

Pretty sure the first tiebreaker is still most matches won so PSU would win in your hypothetical dual. In any case once we have Vito and Yianni in our lineup the dual will not end in a tie. :cool:

It would have to be the 157 or 165 improvement. Drew has suffered a major and TF at Spencers hands, the latter coming against an injured Spencer (tho he doesn’t care about ACL’s). I would want to hinge my hopes on anyone or anything vs Lee.
I would certainly agree with that if they are actually looking at individuals’ data. My breakdown was based on a hypothetical analysis where they predict bonus only on a rank vs rank differential, not taking the actual names into account. If Hildebrandt comes in ranked in the top 10, and they look only at rank vs rank, I would expect only a major is predicted there.

Pretty sure the first tiebreaker is still most matches won so PSU would win in your hypothetical dual. In any case once we have Vito and Yianni in our lineup the dual will not end in a tie. :cool:
Oh man, right, I totally overlooked that. So then I don’t really see how they can possibly have Iowa ahead of PSU dual-wise.

fwiw, at 184 assad and brooks have wrestled and it was a controlled victory but not close to bonus. assad has never been bonused in his career. iowa will have a clear bonus advantage on paper between spencer and possible majors at 157/165 (more likely at 165). this could also be a possible mental adjustment to the cassioppi ranking given he put it on kerk and they probably don’t really think his loss means much. i think his ranking has an implicit * for a lot of people. either way it’s a very close dual with tons of swing matches so not worth worrying about.

He put it on a guy a couple weeks removed from a week in the ICU.

That guy is not the same guy who knocked Mason Parris out of the OTTs.

i expect a closer match this year for sure. just offering a possible justification for the ranking.
Fair enough.

If Kerk beats Schultz at the Collegiate Duals, he would likely jump up to #3, though.

Fair enough.

If Kerk beats Schultz at the Collegiate Duals, he would likely jump up to #3, though.
and rightfully so. the rankings as they are are fine. this is speculation on my part, but i suspect most people don’t consider the loss to have any long term relevancy for cass, so they might still consider him a favorite in their heads over kerk until proven otherwise even though they had to drop him because of the loss. so even though psu is ranked higher at 6 weights, they might actually see it as a 5-5 split with bonus favoring iowa.

when i think about the match, i don’t consider the loss at all. i think cass is a slight favorite because we haven’t seen kerk tested on bottom yet, but in my eyes it’s basically a toss up. nothing would shock me.

fwiw, at 184 assad and brooks have wrestled and it was a controlled victory but not close to bonus. assad has never been bonused in his career. iowa will have a clear bonus advantage on paper between spencer and possible majors at 157/165 (more likely at 165). this could also be a possible mental adjustment to the cassioppi ranking given he put it on kerk and they probably don’t really think his loss means much. i think his ranking has an implicit * for a lot of people. either way it’s a very close dual with tons of swing matches so not worth worrying about.
Assad and Brooks match was almost 2 years ago. I think now, Brooks at least majors him. I feel this is the year Brooks starts turning into a bonus machine and as far as Assad, well you kinda already know where I stand with him.

Assad and Brooks match was almost 2 years ago. I think now, Brooks at least majors him. I feel this is the year Brooks starts turning into a bonus machine and as far as Assad, well you kinda already know where I stand with him.
possible, but say what you want about assad, defense is his strength. his issues come from scoring. i wouldn't be floored by a major, but anything more would be pretty shocking. brooks isn't a pinner and I have a hard time seeing him taking assad down 10+ times for a tech.

possible, but say what you want about assad, defense is his strength. his issues come from scoring. i wouldn't be floored by a major, but anything more would be pretty shocking. brooks isn't a pinner and I have a hard time seeing him taking assad down 10+ times for a tech.
Oh, I get why you’re saying what you’re saying. Up till this point, Brooks hasn’t been a big bonus guy but think Cael is getting in some guys ears that they need to open up a bit because every point is gonna count. I think Aaron may be looking to score more so Cael isn’t PISSED. :)

Reactions: slushhead
ADVERTISEMENT