ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts on Depth Chart

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
Since we ain't got no official depth chart in '21, it becomes a bit harder to tell what the status is of a lot of younger players.

Anybody have any insight as to where a few of these newer (and not so new) players stand so far this season?

Hakeem Beamon - doesn't seem to be in the top ten DL rotation.. injured? Dog house?

Enzo Jennings - seems to have been passed over for PT by true freshmen

Cole Brevard - hasn't seen any game action yet

Norval Black, Malick Meiga & Jaden Dottin - perhaps our WR depth is just that good

Golden Israel-Achumba - the guy needs a cool nickname, and some PT

Nick Dawkins - played on ST but haven't seen him during OL garbage-time

Ibrahim Traore - ?

Reactions: NedFromYork
Since we ain't got no official depth chart in '21, it becomes a bit harder to tell what the status is of a lot of younger players.

Anybody have any insight as to where a few of these newer (and not so new) players stand so far this season?

Hakeem Beamon - doesn't seem to be in the top ten DL rotation.. injured? Dog house?

Norval Black, Malick Meiga & Jaden Dottin - perhaps our WR depth is just that good

Ibrahim Traore - ?

Beamon seems to have been injured. I don't think they wish to rush him back.

Only person I can see getting passed by Jennings is Kalen King, but they play different positions. Reed too but I think that speaks more to him than Jennings. Safety rotation is Brisker/Brown/Sutherland/Ellis/Rudolph/Reed. That's a lot of players. Disconcerting much from the #6 to #7 is a thin veil.

Harrison Wallace seems to be the young WR getting snaps. CSB and Eubanks rotate in as well, but our top 3 are so good it's hard to sit them. George is the one I wonder about. He's all but disappeared.

The rest apparently just aren't ready yet. We've seen some deep rotations on both lines. If they didn't play vs Villanova, they likely aren't getting in the rest of this year.

Only person I can see getting passed by Jennings is Kalen King, but they play different positions. Reed too but I think that speaks more to him than Jennings. Safety rotation is Brisker/Brown/Sutherland/Ellis/Rudolph/Reed. That's a lot of players. Disconcerting much from the #6 to #7 is a thin veil.

Harrison Wallace seems to be the young WR getting snaps. CSB and Eubanks rotate in as well, but our top 3 are so good it's hard to sit them. George is the one I wonder about. He's all but disappeared.

The rest apparently just aren't ready yet. We've seen some deep rotations on both lines. If they didn't play vs Villanova, they likely aren't getting in the rest of this year.
Good post and I agree with you.

The lack of "depth" on the OL is what bothers me. We seem to be healthy there and have the bodies, but aren't getting many reps by the 2nd/3rd teamers during the two easier games we've had. It looked like Wilson (#68) was in at center during the final two drives last Saturday and Effner seems to be the only "backup" the coaches are comfortable putting in when the game is still up in the air. Some healthy competition for reps might be what is needed to get a bit more fire going on the OL.

Maybe Trautwein is taking his sweet time developing the younger guys, but when there is talk of Tengwall, who is a true freshman, getting playing time and yet not much is said about Fashanu, Traore, Knutsson, Israel-Achumba, Dawkins, Christ and even Wormley who started the opener it starts to feel like we have no OL depth going into the teeth of our Big Ten Schedule.

The rest apparently just aren't ready yet. We've seen some deep rotations on both lines. If they didn't play vs Villanova, they likely aren't getting in
I was surprised at Washington’s speed. The guy is almost more of an RB after the catch, as well. He was a real steal as a recruit.
KLS is also stepping up. He’s not a real physical guy, but he has good route skills and decent speed. I think George was splitting reps with him last year, but this year KLS has clearly surpassed him.
You do have to be concerned about the lack of appearances by some of the younger, WR’s. If David Bell had only picked PSU, we’d have the best WR group in the BIG.
The TE’s are all real weapons, but their blocking vs Nova was not as good as previous games from what I saw. I still think we have a lot of untapped potential with this group.

Ibrahim Traore - ?
I've read that both Beamon and Meiga are injured.

I think we need to keep an eye on #8 Marquis Wilson. Yea George is probably gone. I still think I would have tried him at Safety.
but then we seem to be pretty loaded there as well.
I think the Portal will be very busy again this off season. I can see a QB or 2, a RB or 2 and 2-3 WR's all go.

Good post and I agree with you.

The lack of "depth" on the OL is what bothers me. We seem to be healthy there and have the bodies, but aren't getting many reps by the 2nd/3rd teamers during the two easier games we've had. It looked like Wilson (#68) was in at center during the final two drives last Saturday and Effner seems to be the only "backup" the coaches are comfortable putting in when the game is still up in the air. Some healthy competition for reps might be what is needed to get a bit more fire going on the OL.

Maybe Trautwein is taking his sweet time developing the younger guys, but when there is talk of Tengwall, who is a true freshman, getting playing time and yet not much is said about Fashanu, Traore, Knutsson, Israel-Achumba, Dawkins, Christ and even Wormley who started the opener it starts to feel like we have no OL depth going into the teeth of our Big Ten Schedule.

One correction. Whigan started the opener. Wormley has been injured and was supposed to contribute.

Personally, I think Traut is trying to figure out our best combination at LG/C/RG. I've said it at multiple occasions. I think it's between 3-4 players and that's why the reps revolve around those players.

Reactions: BBrown
We gonna need one a those Florida boy Lump Bizkit chip on the shoulder pass rushers for next year when #17 is gone- until the Owings Mill guy is ready for the B East

I was surprised at Washington’s speed. The guy is almost more of an RB after the catch, as well. He was a real steal as a recruit.
KLS is also stepping up. He’s not a real physical guy, but he has good route skills and decent speed. I think George was splitting reps with him last year, but this year KLS has clearly surpassed him.
You do have to be concerned about the lack of appearances by some of the younger, WR’s. If David Bell had only picked PSU, we’d have the best WR group in the BIG.
The TE’s are all real weapons, but their blocking vs Nova was not as good as previous games from what I saw. I still think we have a lot of untapped potential with this group.

Washington is a stud. He has such good hands too.

Bell in this offense? He'd be another strong weapon.

TE blocking was lackluster vs Villanova. I wonder how much of it was based upon C calls vs just whiffs?

I think we need to keep an eye on #8 Marquis Wilson. Yea George is probably gone. I still think I would have tried him at Safety.
I think the Portal will be very busy again this off season. I can see a QB or 2, a RB or 2 and 2-3 WR's all go.

And I forgot Wilson in the WR rotation. He probably gets the 4th most snaps. I'm honestly waiting for him to blow the top off somebody, but we've not shown that card yet. Perhaps waiting for Iowa?

Reactions: BBrown

I was going to mention that Marquise Wilson had a pretty impressive catch on Saturday.
Ill be honest, there was a lot going on so I don't recall the catch other than remembering to look up who #8 was after he caught it.

I'm not as euphoric about our WR's, although I believe that obviously Dotson is one of the top WR's in the country, and Washington is very good. Washington looked very fast against Nova, but Nova's DB's don't have top 30 DB speed.

Franklin and the staff seem to feel that KLS is going to bust out and be a big playmaker. But as I have watched the first 4 games and looked closely at the box scores KLS does not have the catch to target ratio that warrants too much praise so far this season, especially when the other teams are surely trying to take away Dotson and also to some extent Washington. KLS seems to drop some and also hasn't shown the hands to make a decent percentage of tough catches either. He must be balling out in practice to get so much praise from the coaches, so it's likely just a matter of time before he makes more plays.

It would be a big bonus for another of the young WR's to break out, get game reps, and earn a regular spot in the rotation for 15-20 snaps per game. But I'd be satisfied if the top 3 stay healthy and CSB starts to get some targets and makes a some plays each game, along with Wilson continuing to get some snaps and start to look more comfortable.

Great group of TE's that all seem to have very good hands. I was disappointed in the TE (Johnson?) that caught the pass wide open and was going left to right towards the far sideline and kept looking back instead of putting his head down to just run. I thought he might have scored.

One correction. Whigan started the opener. Wormley has been injured and was supposed to contribute.

Personally, I think Traut is trying to figure out our best combination at LG/C/RG. I've said it at multiple occasions. I think it's between 3-4 players and that's why the reps revolve around those players.
My bad. With so many linemen with "W" last names I sometimes get them confused.

It's too bad about Wormley, his injury is all the more reason I would have thought we'd get some reps from younger OL during the brief "garbage time" we've had so far. Last Saturday we played our 6th-string RB (Tank Smith), but barely got any OL into the game. The only players who have snapped the ball in a game are starters.

Attrition happens and we'd better start to get some guys in on the OL rotation while we can... @ Ohio State would be a lousy time for guys to come off the bench for essentially the first time.

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm not as euphoric about our WR's, although I believe that obviously Dotson is one of the top WR's in the country, and Washington is very good. Washington looked very fast against Nova, but Nova's DB's don't have top 30 DB speed.

Franklin and the staff seem to feel that KLS is going to bust out and be a big playmaker. But as I have watched the first 4 games and looked closely at the box scores KLS does not have the catch to target ratio that warrants too much praise so far this season, especially when the other teams are surely trying to take away Dotson and also to some extent Washington. KLS seems to drop some and also hasn't shown the hands to make a decent percentage of tough catches either. He must be balling out in practice to get so much praise from the coaches, so it's likely just a matter of time before he makes more plays.

It would be a big bonus for another of the young WR's to break out, get game reps, and earn a regular spot in the rotation for 15-20 snaps per game. But I'd be satisfied if the top 3 stay healthy and CSB starts to get some targets and makes a some plays each game, along with Wilson continuing to get some snaps and start to look more comfortable.

Great group of TE's that all seem to have very good hands. I was disappointed in the TE (Johnson?) that caught the pass wide open and was going left to right towards the far sideline and kept looking back instead of putting his head down to just run. I thought he might have scored.

KLS has come along very well. He spent last year as a blocker and decoy on most routes. He's got a definitive role now. And I think it's going to get bigger. If he can become the deep threat of Dotson, our offense will be even tougher.

His catch vs Wisconsin was probably one of the most important of the year, no?

My bad. With so many linemen with "W" last names I sometimes get them confused.

It's too bad about Wormley, his injury is all the more reason I would have thought we'd get some reps from younger OL during the brief "garbage time" we've had so far. Last Saturday we played our 6th-string RB (Tank Smith), but barely got any OL into the game. The only players who have snapped the ball in a game are starters.

Attrition happens and we'd better start to get some guys in on the OL rotation while we can... @ Ohio State would be a lousy time for guys to come off the bench for essentially the first time.

Maybe the coaches think the starters need as much game time together as possible. That would be my concern ahead of worrying about getting the backups in the game.

Because of the limitations of broadcast, it is really hard to see everything Washington does when he isn't the target. He sells routes like he is the #1 or #2 target when he isn't (this is a very uncommon trait), he tries hard to get open even when he isn't the target and he blocks. Love that kid.

Last edited:
Maybe the coaches think the starters need as much game time together as possible. That would be my concern ahead of worrying about getting the backups in the game.
Perhaps. Considering they all played together throughout 2020 (except Wilson), I'd think they would have had a chance to bond by now. Let's hope nobody has to come out of the game for any reason when it's 3rd and 4 at the Iowa 48 yard line during a close game.

Again, he was D squad player of the week last week, so if he did that while injured then he really is amazing.

Reactions: tc4psu
Perhaps. Considering they all played together throughout 2020 (except Wilson), I'd think they would have had a chance to bond by now. Let's hope nobody has to come out of the game for any reason when it's 3rd and 4 at the Iowa 48 yard line during a close game.

At least the other 4 will be a more cohesive and experienced unit capable of adapting to the loss and better intigrating the new guy.

The depth chart is probably limited to all those guys who played against Villanova and those that are out with injury. I liked the way we added one new player to the position group so that they played with the first team instead of with a group of second or third team players all together. Wide out looks like CSB subbing for outside guys and Wilson for the slot. Ellis and Sutherland at safety, a large group of really good looking backups at corner. King, Hardy and Dixon all look like players. Linebacker experience is thin. Elsdon and Katcher do some nice things but still look a bit hesitant. King and Buddin look like real good players of the future. D line looks like we'll continue with 3 ends and 3 - 4 tackles. Is that enough? EK needs to get off the field for a series here or there. Need someone to step up here. He looked real tired by the end of the Auburn game. Mustipher needs more rest, is Ellies trusted enough? What happened to Fred Hansard? The injury must still be impeding him.

O line looks like four with someone at left guard. Effner seems to be first man up with Dez Holmes next. Whigan seems to have been lost in the shuffle. Holmes played fairly well last year at both tackle and guard, so that must mean Effner is pretty good. I hope. We just don't get movement in the middle no matter who is there or who we play against. Must at least pass block. QB, RB and TE are set.

The depth chart is probably limited to all those guys who played against Villanova and those that are out with injury. I liked the way we added one new player to the position group so that they played with the first team instead of with a group of second or third team players all together. Wide out looks like CSB subbing for outside guys and Wilson for the slot. Ellis and Sutherland at safety, a large group of really good looking backups at corner. King, Hardy and Dixon all look like players. Linebacker experience is thin. Elsdon and Katcher do some nice things but still look a bit hesitant. King and Buddin look like real good players of the future. D line looks like we'll continue with 3 ends and 3 - 4 tackles. Is that enough? EK needs to get off the field for a series here or there. Need someone to step up here. He looked real tired by the end of the Auburn game. Mustipher needs more rest, is Ellies trusted enough? What happened to Fred Hansard? The injury must still be impeding him.

O line looks like four with someone at left guard. Effner seems to be first man up with Dez Holmes next. Whigan seems to have been lost in the shuffle. Holmes played fairly well last year at both tackle and guard, so that must mean Effner is pretty good. I hope. We just don't get movement in the middle no matter who is there or who we play against. Must at least pass block. QB, RB and TE are set.

Although limited, I like what I'm seeing from 99 Coziah Izzard at DT.

Ibrahim Traore - ?
I would guess our wide receiver depth isn't very good, since the top three dominate the snap counts,

Again, he was D squad player of the week last week, so if he did that while injured then he really is amazing.

I don't truly know anything, but it seems that discipline was not the issue. The players have slowly returned. Beamon I suppose would be the last from that group.

You mentioned buzz later. Paywall or what?

KLS has come along very well. He spent last year as a blocker and decoy on most routes. He's got a definitive role now. And I think it's going to get bigger. If he can become the deep threat of Dotson, our offense will be even tougher.

His catch vs Wisconsin was probably one of the most important of the year, no?
Most catches are important. KLS has dropped more than a few, but maybe he will pull a Gesicki and the light will go on.

I can't believe any WR that lines up when Dotson is getting double teamed and is a marked target to the defense is a decoy. And I believe a stronger, more experienced WR such as CSB would be a better blocker.

PSU needs a 3rd WR playmaker at WR for this offense to peak, especially considering the run blocking so far in 2021. Franklin and Stubblefield obviously believe KLS will be that 3rd weapon at WR, but to date the progress towards that has been pretty spotty.

PSU needs a 3rd WR playmaker at WR for this offense to peak

11 catches 199 yards is pretty good stats for a #3 behind 27 for 362 and 23 for 301.

Considering we didn't have over 50 yards in the first half vs Wisconsin AND our first string started missing plays in the 3rd quarter vs Ball State and Villanova, I'd say very good.

I don't truly know anything, but it seems that discipline was not the issue. The players have slowly returned. Beamon I suppose would be the last from that group.

You mentioned buzz later. Paywall or what?
Yep. I'm fairly sure we might get a hint later in the week though

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT