ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts after three games

NCLION

May 29, 2001
Was #13 on some quiet disciplinary probation? He needs to be on field
He just makes plays

Growing concerned with lack of O line push. We are going to be in goal line situation at some point and it will cost us

I hope we see Sanders and Barkley in backfield together a lot in future

I was concerned about interior D line but after watching more they are getting good push

Which leads me to my main concern and that's our MLB. Constantly lost or on bad angle. Maybe time for more #47?

Our pass rush needs either 99 or 18 to keep improving

Our secondary is solid but I still think #28 is going to get replaced by the more physical #24

Are we trying too much complex stuff on offense at times? I feel like our passing game has yet to get in a rhythm

Kick coverage has been awesome

Barkley has been great but still don't like him on KO. use Polk or sanders

QB has been good but plays better when he is scrambling and not thinking as much

Team looks talented just want to see a little more physicality

We will learn a lot in about 6 days! Doesn't seem we have hit any rhythm yet, as a team. Big plays have been great, but we will need to put some long drives together from this point forward.

Obviously, everyone is loading up to stop SB so let's see what adjustments we have in store for the future opponents!

Special teams have been the most consistent team so far.. would like to have seen that 39 yd field goal made though

Where was Cam Brown last night? I did not see him at all. What you saw last night was a great deal of rotation on both sides of the ball witj the DL and OL. There may be a difference beginning next week when we get into league play.

Rumor was Brown and Mahon got into a scuffle at practice that's why they both sat last night

Rumor was Brown and Mahon got into a scuffle at practice that's why they both sat last night
I saw somewhere that Mahon's one hand was wrapped so perhaps that is some evidence of a little fisticuffs action in practice. Was Cam Brown even dressed?

I saw somewhere that Mahon's one hand was wrapped so perhaps that is some evidence of a little fisticuffs action in practice. Was Cam Brown even dressed?
Brown was dressed. I don't recall seeing him on the field.

Did Jake Zembiec & RB Jonathan Thomas also get into a fight in practice, those guys seem like they will never again take the field, even in a 56-0 blowout.

Was #13 on some quiet disciplinary probation? He needs to be on field
He just makes plays. Agree. But at this point I'm not convinced that the WR's have been the issue. Trace has not been very accurate for significant stretches during the first 3 games. Why wasn't JJ targeted more so far?

Growing concerned with lack of O line push. We are going to be in goal line situation at some point and it will cost us. I am also disappointed with the OL push so far. It would not surprise me to see some personnel moves on the OL. Who knows who..... unless you have seen all the practices. Why was Mahon replaced yesterday? Are Fries and Menet making a case for playing time with the starter? Who knows.

I hope we see Sanders and Barkley in backfield together a lot in future. I have not seen them both in the backfield as of yet, and will be surprised if it happens. JoMo's offense does not have 2 back in the backfield. Could one of them split out or play in the slot, sure. But we have weapons there as well. I'll add that when Sanders committed before his Junior year I went to a WoodyHigh/USC football game to watch him and on his first carry he went left, but it was blocked up, so he turned all the way around and swept right, planted his foot and cut up field splitting right through the USC defense for a 60 yard TD...... just like yesterday.

I was concerned about interior D line but after watching more they are getting good push. I'm not worried about the DT's, as they are big, strong, and experienced, although really not an AA or top 2 round draft choice candidate among them as of now. The DE's seem small to me and I wonder if they will hold up to the power running games of Iowa, IU, UM, or oh-high-ya..... And losing Brown does not help, as the young kids seem quick but not too stout. Good to see Joseph get some work yesterday, as he looks stronger than Simmons and Toney.

Which leads me to my main concern and that's our MLB. Constantly lost or on bad angle. Maybe time for more #47? Maybe Cabinda has not played his best ball so far, but I don't see him as a liability.

Our pass rush needs either 99 or 18 to keep improving No doubt we will see significantly more of both if Brown is out for any length of time. Toney is very quick, but I'm more enthusiastic about YG-M as he looks like he can be a very good run defender as well...

Our secondary is solid but I still think #28 is going to get replaced by the more physical #24. #24 is Sanders on O and DJBrown on D. I guess you mean #23, Monroe. Monroe also seems to get better breaks on the ball and seems to be closer to the balls that are thrown to receivers in his area.....

Are we trying too much complex stuff on offense at times? I feel like our passing game has yet to get in a rhythm. I have a hard time believing it is too complex. Players should be more on the same page in the 2nd year of JoeMo. Likely the same routes as last year. Trace seemed more accurate yesterday and it was good that he spread the ball around as that will help with the confidence of all those receivers.

Kick coverage has been awesome. Biggest improvement in the team so far this year. When you add players like Wade to the coverage unit, good things happen for PSU.

Barkley has been great but still don't like him on KO. use Polk or sanders. Barkley looks good there, and he almost broke one yesterday. And Barkley wants to do it. At first I didn't like it, but no use being concerned if it's the plan, it's the plan.....

QB has been good but plays better when he is scrambling and not thinking as much. I thought he ran out of clean pockets against Pitt, and that if he stayed int he pocket against pitt the game would have been a laugher before half time. Trace is just getting warmed up!!

Team looks talented just want to see a little more physicality. We'll find out if CJF can get them playing more physical this week. Iowa will punch them in the mouth at Iowa. CJF has commented on how he wants players like Gonzo to get more of a consistent finisher attitude. Time will tell.

Reactions: NCLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT