ADVERTISEMENT

Random fun fact: Wally Richardson

wentzel25

Feb 13, 2006
So I don't know why, but I just happened to remember Wally Richardson today, which made me curious about what he did in the NFL.
Oddly enough he finished his career with 1 passing yard. I know a lot of guys finished with 0, but he may be the only QB with 1.

So I don't know why, but I just happened to remember Wally Richardson today, which made me curious about what he did in the NFL.
Oddly enough he finished his career with 1 passing yard. I know a lot of guys finished with 0, but he may be the only QB with 1.
There are some players, Walter Alston among them, who struck out in their sole at bat in the major leagues.

My only memory is watching an away game and hearing the announcer say his passes were “corkscrewing into the ground”

There are some players, Walter Alston among them, who struck out in their sole at bat in the major leagues.
I forgot about Walter Alston, not that I sit around thinking about 60’s managers. I haven’t seen or heard that name in a long time. Alston had a lot of success due mostly, if not entirely, to Koufax, Drysdale, Osteen etc. The Davis brothers were good. Wills could hit for average and steal a whole lot of bases. Parker and LeFevre were all glove, no bat. Do you recall any other bats they had, Jim?

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Yes, the actual Moonlight Graham was on deck when the teammate batting in front of him made the third out of the ninth inning in the only game he played. He played right field in the bottom of the ninth and no ball was hit to him.
Interesting, Graham got his medical degree from U Maryland in 1905 and played football for the Terps in 1904 and 1905. Nice to know.

I forgot about Walter Alston, not that I sit around thinking about 60’s managers. I haven’t seen or heard that name in a long time. Alston had a lot of success due mostly, if not entirely, to Koufax, Drysdale, Osteen etc. The Davis brothers were good. Wills could hit for average and steal a whole lot of bases. Parker and LeFevre were all glove, no bat. Do you recall any other bats they had, Jim?
Terrible hitting team, one of the worst of any championship team.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Wes Parker couldn’t hit? Interesting.

As I recall, Don Drysdale was on an episode of The Brady Bunch and Wes Parker was on an episode of The Munsters.

According to his Wiki page, Wes Parker was on The Brady Bunch, not The Munsters. He was a .267 career hitter, which is decent for that time.

And it says he was a follower of Dr. Gene Scott. Remember that crazy late night preacher guy with the white hair? What a wacko he was. I think preacher Melissa Scott was his wife, although she must have been half his age when they married. I haven't seen her for awhile so I don't know if she's still around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Parker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Parker
ETA: Here's video of Dr. Gene Scott...LOL.

Here's an even better video of Dr. Gene Scott. 11 seconds of hilarity. Check this out.

As I recall, Don Drysdale was on an episode of The Brady Bunch and Wes Parker was on an episode of The Munsters.

Read The Last Innocents for a real interesting perspective on the 60’s Dodgers and in particular Wills and Parker. Two interesting guys.

Ron Fairly had some stick. I didn't look it up but was Bob Bailey with the Dodgers then?

Read The Last Innocents for a real interesting perspective on the 60’s Dodgers and in particular Wills and Parker. Two interesting guys.

I just check end my crappy NC Digital Library doesn't have it. But I am going to soon re-join Scribd, which is a "pay a monthly fee of about $9 and then read any book we have" club and I just checked and they do have it so when I join I'll definitely read it.

I just check end my crappy NC Digital Library doesn't have it. But I am going to soon re-join Scribd, which is a "pay a monthly fee of about $9 and then read any book we have" club and I just checked and they do have it so when I join I'll definitely read it.

It is one of the best baseball books I have ever read. Hopefully, you will enjoy it.

Ron Fairly had some stick. I didn't look it up but was Bob Bailey with the Dodgers then?
Yeah, Fairly could hit. I remember Bailey with the Pirates and the Giants but I certainly could be wrong. I am almost positive that he didn’t play on the Koufax teams.

The Dodgers won a lot of low scoring games in those days. Koufax, Drysdale and no bats will do that. However, it just came to mind that Tommy Davis may have won the batting title one year.

Random fun photo...

feb-2001-wally-richardson-of-the-new-yorknew-jersey-hitmen-runs-with-picture-id574788

These guys were before my time, just goes to show how I used to love baseball. I devoured the Official Guides, all the great little books every year from The Sporting News.

One of the benefits of being old was having the privilege of watching the game of the 60’s. Everyone thinks they saw the greatest players, etc based on when they watched it the most. But I can say that seeing Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Mantle, McCovey, Banks, Rose, Koufax, etc. was a lot better than seeing Jeter and A Rod for example. And people I know who are ten years older who saw Williams, Musial, Mantle in his prime years will tell you they were the best.

One of the benefits of being old was having the privilege of watching the game of the 60’s. Everyone thinks they saw the greatest players, etc based on when they watched it the most. But I can say that seeing Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Mantle, McCovey, Banks, Rose, Koufax, etc. was a lot better than seeing Jeter and A Rod for example. And people I know who are ten years older who saw Williams, Musial, Mantle in his prime years will tell you they were the best.
I'm just glad I was around for the tail end of the glory years. Schmidt, Seaver, Bench, Stargell, Reggie and players of that ilk. I do disagree about Jeter - the guy was a total all-timer. ARod on the other hand - sucked.

Baseball today is just terrible. A pale imitation of the Real McCoy. All you need to watch is the ghastly baserunning, throwing away outs, rag-arm pitchers with a 5 ERA - it's weak sauce.

I liked Wally....he seemed to play way better when he didn't overthink and just ran around out there making plays...but that could be my old memory making it up

I was working at Sears at the Nittany Mall back then and a friend of mine and I were down at Dino's for lunch and Wally was leaving the cash register there and dropped his tray, meal, drink and everything all over the floor

my buddy deadpans to me "that explains a lot!"

might not have been fair but holy crap did I start laughing

Reactions: grinagrin
I believe Wally runs or heads of the letterman’s club at psu. I believe his office is in beaver stadium or Bryce Jordan.

Always a good solid person.

Reactions: step.eng69
I'm just glad I was around for the tail end of the glory years. Schmidt, Seaver, Bench, Stargell, Reggie and players of that ilk. I do disagree about Jeter - the guy was a total all-timer. ARod on the other hand - sucked.

Baseball today is just terrible. A pale imitation of the Real McCoy. All you need to watch is the ghastly baserunning, throwing away outs, rag-arm pitchers with a 5 ERA - it's weak sauce.

I guess what I was saying when you think of the best player you ever saw and I say Mays and Aaron and someone younger says Jeter, well... Not denying the accomplishments and stats of Jeter but in good conscience he wasn’t close to Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc.

Reactions: step.eng69
Interesting, Graham got his medical degree from U Maryland in 1905 and played football for the Terps in 1904 and 1905. Nice to know.

I wonder what the maryland football culture was like back then.

TOXIC. :eek:

I guess what I was saying when you think of the best player you ever saw and I say Mays and Aaron and someone younger says Jeter, well... Not denying the accomplishments and stats of Jeter but in good conscience he wasn’t close to Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc.
Jeter was never the best player on his team.

Just off the top of my head, I'd put Ripken and ARod ahead of him.
Jeter had 300 more hits and outhit Ripkin by almost 40 points and outscored him by 300 runs. Not to mention five-time World Champion. Ripkin was a big time power hitter and was clearly the best player Baltimore had since the heyday of Frank Robinson. But I can't put Ripkin ahead of Jeter who was a lifetime .300 batter.

ARod batted .259 in the postseason, was a colossal jerk and a major roider. He played in 14 postseason series with the Yankees - his record is 6 wins, 8 losses.

ARod couldn't shine Derek Jeter's cleats.

Would this be the equivalent of walking in your only at bat, or never batting and just playing the field (maybe making an out?)

Jeter had 300 more hits and outhit Ripkin by almost 40 points and outscored him by 300 runs. Not to mention five-time World Champion. Ripkin was a big time power hitter and was clearly the best player Baltimore had since the heyday of Frank Robinson. But I can't put Ripkin ahead of Jeter who was a lifetime .300 batter.

ARod batted .259 in the postseason, was a colossal jerk and a major roider. He played in 14 postseason series with the Yankees - his record is 6 wins, 8 losses.

ARod couldn't shine Derek Jeter's cleats.
Ripken and Jeter were totally different players. Jeter was a leadoff, slap hitter, Ripken was a middle of the order power guy. But look at major league rosters, who gets the big money deals, high average or sluggers? The fact that the Yankees will soon vastly overpay a .240 hitting Bryce Harper because he has a ton of power should show which is the more valuable commodity.
Ichiro and Jeter were the end of an era, in my opinion. Pure high average speedsters are gone, guys have to have 20-hr potential now.

I happen to know Wally. Wally is a really good person. He is a gracious person who is easy to like. He is the Director of the Lettermen's Club, and the Lettermen I know think highly of him. They recently had their most successful annual Golf Outing ever, under Wally's direction. Wally also has a Master's degree, and is another great example of The Grand Experiment. As long-time PSU fans, we should feel proud of him and happy for his post-playing successes.

I don't understand why people like to make digs at past PSU players who were important parts of highly successful teams. (Not directed at the OP here). Remembering Wally for bad passes rather than his overall record and his steady hand at crucial times during games is strange, imo.

As a reminder for those who may care:

Wally came to PSU from South Carolina. He started as a true freshman in the 1992 season-opener on the road at Cincinnati (in their then brand-new stadium) and brought the team from behind to win 24-20. He backed up John Sacca and later Kerry Collins that season. He redshirted in '93, backed up Collins in '94. He started in '95 and '96, and was a Captain in '96. Those teams were 20-5 overall, including two big bowl wins over Auburn and Texas. He led the last-minute comebacks vs. Texas Tech at home to open the '95 season and at Michigan State in '95, hitting Bobby Engram with a TD pass in the final couple of seconds to win 24-20. The '96 team lost just 2 games, getting beaten badly at Ohio State and then losing by one point in an upset to Iowa at home.
His PSU stats: Wally had over 4400 yards passing and 27 TDs in 2+ seasons. Pretty good; not an All-American or an all-time 'greatest of the great' PSU QBs, but a very good college QB who also was (and is) a very good leader.

Wally was drafted by the Ravens in a late round in 1996, so he wasn't a sure thing to make the team. But he stayed for 2 or 3 seasons as a backup QB. It takes more hard work and talent than most of us can imagine to get there and to stay for any length of time. The fact that his stats are what they are is not the point - the point is, he got to the NFL and stayed for 2 or 3 seasons. I bet lots of ex-college players would take that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT