ADVERTISEMENT

"Ran out of time"

OldTiredLion

May 25, 2013
Today I attended the funeral of one of my longest and dearest friends. Like me, he was a devoted Penn Stater and season ticket owner for many decades. I can't count the number of tailgates we shared together, both at Beaver Stadium and on many road games. A great husband, father, friend and man.

On November 9, 2011 he - like so many of us - had his heart broken. But the following April he had his world shattered after the doctors delivered a diagnosis of lung cancer, the same disease which claimed Joe Paterno just months earlier.

He fought bravely and hard over the following four years. The treatments certainly took their toll and were almost as devastating as the disease itself, but he remained optimistic throughout and rarely complained about the side effects or how his health now prevented him from missing an occasional game or a social event if he was too fatigued to attend.

His last PSU game was the Illinois game last year. I'm grateful he was treated to a good performance by our Lions resulting in a win and I remember how upbeat he was at the post-game tailgate. He told me at that time he'd "hope to still be around when Joe's and Penn State's names were finally cleared."

Last week from his hospital bed in Hershey, realizing that the end was near, he motioned for me to lean closer and said though his labored breathing "I guess I just ran out of time." I couldn't help from crying most of the drive home. He passed away that evening.

My contempt for the BoT, Corbett, the NCAA and everyone who contributed to this fiasco we continue to find ourselves facing all these years later cannot be overstated. How many more people had this on their minds as they lay in the death beds? I know many say otherwise but nothing will convince me that Joe's spirit wasn't broken by what happened and it hastened his death. I believe my friend befell that same fate.

Sorry about the length of this post. Guess I just needed to vent.

On 11/9/11 John Surma and his "Rat Pack" of OGBOT decided to play God with the lives of many people. Some of those good people like Joe and your friend unfortunately will not see justice done in this world. Those of us who are still able must carry on for them.

Your dear friend will be standing on the good side of the Pearly Gates with JVP when Surma ,Frazier, Freeh, Corbett, Peetz etal. have their day in court. It will be the best tailgate of all time....Sorry for your loss...

Today I attended the funeral of one of my longest and dearest friends. Like me, he was a devoted Penn Stater and season ticket owner for many decades. I can't count the number of tailgates we shared together, both at Beaver Stadium and on many road games. A great husband, father, friend and man.

On November 9, 2011 he - like so many of us - had his heart broken. But the following April he had his world shattered after the doctors delivered a diagnosis of lung cancer, the same disease which claimed Joe Paterno just months earlier.

He fought bravely and hard over the following four years. The treatments certainly took their toll and were almost as devastating as the disease itself, but he remained optimistic throughout and rarely complained about the side effects or how his health now prevented him from missing an occasional game or a social event if he was too fatigued to attend.

His last PSU game was the Illinois game last year. I'm grateful he was treated to a good performance by our Lions resulting in a win and I remember how upbeat he was at the post-game tailgate. He told me at that time he'd "hope to still be around when Joe's and Penn State's names were finally cleared."

Last week from his hospital bed in Hershey, realizing that the end was near, he motioned for me to lean closer and said though his labored breathing "I guess I just ran out of time." I couldn't help from crying most of the drive home. He passed away that evening.

My contempt for the BoT, Corbett, the NCAA and everyone who contributed to this fiasco we continue to find ourselves facing all these years later cannot be overstated. How many more people had this on their minds as they lay in the death beds? I know many say otherwise but nothing will convince me that Joe's spirit wasn't broken by what happened and it hastened his death. I believe my friend befell that same fate.

Thank you for sharing this. You were certainly a great friend throughout. Very sorry for your loss. Please rest assured the OGBOT bastards will not escape unscathed.

My father is also sick with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and it's getting worse every day. He is hoping he makes it to see Joes name cleared and PSUs reputation restored. He is only 59 with three kids that went to PSU. Keep fighting everyone

So sorry for your loss sir. Just cherish the good times you had together

My father is also sick with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and it's getting worse every day. He is hoping he makes it to see Joes name cleared and PSUs reputation restored. He is only 59 with three kids that went to PSU. Keep fighting everyone
My sympathies to you and oldtiredlion. Both of you seem like good guys. Life can get very tough and sad at times. Hang in there.

So sorry for your loss.. Those scum never realized or cared what they did to all of us in the Penn State community.

Reactions: OldTiredLion

I'm so sorry for your loss... you expressed the feelings so many of us share...will we, too, run out of time before Joe is cleared once and for all? The best I can say is that most of us (as did your friend) KNOW it in our hearts, and while we want the world to know it also, we go to our final rest secure in the knowledge that all he believed, all that we believe, was honest, pure, and true.

Again, my condolences... but thank you for sharing.

Reactions: OldTiredLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT