ADVERTISEMENT

Raise It!!!!

Player2BNamedL8r

Jan 3, 2012
RI
bf9100549c762d8d7d7ecd99ee1b776e.jpg

Come on down to PNC, cubbies!!!

Reactions: fairgambit
That is such garbage for the Pirates or any other wild card team should be at least a 3 games series not just one game.

Most serious baseball fans have felt this since the WC was expanded and the 1-game playoff became a part of the playoffs. Baseball is not a game where 1 game is a great evaluator of which team is better.

The flip side of the argument is that a 1-game playoff usually only takes out a team's pitching ace. A 3-game playoff would give the non-WC team a nice rest, and also enable them to have their #1 pitcher going up against the WC team's #4 pitcher (assuming the 3-game playoff went 3 games).

The other argument against extending the WC playoff is that it would send the LCS and the WS to a later date on the calendar, and in many cities the weather can be rather un-baseball-like in late Oct and early Nov.

Most serious baseball fans have felt this since the WC was expanded and the 1-game playoff became a part of the playoffs. Baseball is not a game where 1 game is a great evaluator of which team is better.

The flip side of the argument is that a 1-game playoff usually only takes out a team's pitching ace. A 3-game playoff would give the non-WC team a nice rest, and also enable them to have their #1 pitcher going up against the WC team's #4 pitcher (assuming the 3-game playoff went 3 games).

The other argument against extending the WC playoff is that it would send the LCS and the WS to a later date on the calendar, and in many cities the weather can be rather un-baseball-like in late Oct and early Nov.

They could arrange the 3-game series so that the WC team's ace was on normal rest for game 1 of the NLDS. Just have lower seed host game 1 on weds, Thursday travel day, Friday and Saturday games 2 and 3, off Sunday, game 1 of NLDS on Monday.

I'm hopeful baseball will make this move going forward, not just because it hurt my Bucs this year, but because it's just smart for the popularity of the sport.

Reactions: GregInPitt

I would just have 1 Wild Card team and eliminate the WC game. The Wild Card team plays the Division winner with the best record in a best of 5 series, as do the other 2 Division Winners.

They could arrange the 3-game series so that the WC team's ace was on normal rest for game 1 of the NLDS. Just have lower seed host game 1 on weds, Thursday travel day, Friday and Saturday games 2 and 3, off Sunday, game 1 of NLDS on Monday.

I'm hopeful baseball will make this move going forward, not just because it hurt my Bucs this year, but because it's just smart for the popularity of the sport.
----
Have the WC be a double header on Wed. One team sweeps, they are in. If they split, play a third game next day. That way the playoffs are only delayed one day. Using two best is ok as it rewards the division winner by having a rest they earned by winning.

I would just have 1 Wild Card team and eliminate the WC game. The Wild Card team plays the Division winner with the best record in a best of 5 series, as do the other 2 Division Winners.

That's exactly what the prior system was. It was introduced in 1995, and worked pretty well, IMHO.

The new system was introduced in 2012. The explanations were:
- networks wanted more postseason games, and would pay big bucks for them
- adding 1 additional WC team would make make more regular season games mean something, in that you could have a lot of teams battling for the additional WC berth

Reactions: TheGLOV

Methinks you'd be less supportive of that plan if the Pirates had lost yesterday. It would've meant a 97 win Pirate team didn't make the playoffs at all.

Now, I'd support your plan with the following change: 2 divisions per League. That way there's two division winners and 2 wild cards. Still possible for a great team to get left out, but much less likely. This year, the playoffs would've been Cardinals v Cubs and Pirates v Dodgers, with the Mets getting left out.

Reactions: fairgambit
Just for fun, my divisions:

NL East: Pittsburgh, Philly, NYM, Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Cincy, Charlotte
NL West: CHC, St Louis, Mulwaukee, LAD, SD, Arizona, Colorado, SF

AL East: NYY, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa, Cleveland, Detroit, CWS
AL West: KC, Minnesota, Texas, Houston, LAA, Seattle, Oakland, Portland

Just for fun, my divisions:

NL East: Pittsburgh, Philly, NYM, Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Cincy, Charlotte
NL West: CHC, St Louis, Mulwaukee, LAD, SD, Arizona, Colorado, SF

AL East: NYY, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa, Cleveland, Detroit, CWS
AL West: KC, Minnesota, Texas, Houston, LAA, Seattle, Oakland, Portland
Interesting, but for the good of the game how about relocating the two Florida franchises to other cities first?

Interesting, but for the good of the game how about relocating the two Florida franchises to other cities first?

I think Tampa could be fine if they just built a nice stadium in a smarter part of the city that didn't make getting there a nightmare. Marlins should move, but the new stadium means that won't happen for a looooong time. How about Oakland to Sacramento, Tampa to Nashville, and the Havana Marlins?

I think Tampa could be fine if they just built a nice stadium in a smarter part of the city that didn't make getting there a nightmare. Marlins should move, but the new stadium means that won't happen for a looooong time. How about Oakland to Sacramento, Tampa to Nashville, and the Havana Marlins?

I can hear the vendors walking around the stadium now in Havana: "Get your Cuban cigars here! Get'em and light'em up!" "Lighters also available!!!" Ci!

LOL!!!

Like all that, but how about the Marlins to Brooklyn. NYC is big enough to support three. Aside from that though, I'm not crazy about expansion. I think we'll agree the talent level is spread pretty thin as it is.

There is plenty of time for a 3 game series if you remove the extraneous travel days off. There should only be 1 day off during a 7 game series and none for a 5 game series. The current schedule has 1 for a 5 gamer and 2 for a 7 gamer plus the days off in between series. All these days off puts a premium on have 3 aces instead of how you played all season long with 5 starters.

Btw. I have a similar argument with ncaa March madness. With all of the extra and lengthened TO's you really don't need to substitute.

Methinks you'd be less supportive of that plan if the Pirates had lost yesterday. It would've meant a 97 win Pirate team didn't make the playoffs at all.

Now, I'd support your plan with the following change: 2 divisions per League. That way there's two division winners and 2 wild cards. Still possible for a great team to get left out, but much less likely. This year, the playoffs would've been Cardinals v Cubs and Pirates v Dodgers, with the Mets getting left out.
I could have lived with a Pirate team not making it with 97 wins because there's a chance that a 98 win Pirate team won't be playing after Wednesday anyway. It certainly would have made the past week much more intense, knowing that either the Cubs or Bucs would be eliminated. That aside, I like your idea of 2 Divisions and 2 Wild Cards. As long as we can move beyond this 1 game elimination, I'm for it.

ADVERTISEMENT