ADVERTISEMENT

Raise It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Hard to believe a major league pitcher can come in and walk a batter on 4 straight pitches when holding a 4 run lead. The last pitch was no where near the plate, when he should be putting it right down the middle to prevent a free pass.

I respect Hurdle for trying to use another closer with a 4 run lead, but I'd cross Bastardo off the closer option list down the stretch of the season. Good thing Melancon was on his game.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what we do with the Roger.
large-smiley-025.gif

Hard to believe a major league pitcher can come in and walk a batter on 4 straight pitches when holding a 4 run lead. The last pitch was no where near the plate, when he should be putting it right down the middle to prevent a free pass.

I respect Hurdle for trying to use another closer with a 4 run lead, but I'd cross Bastardo off the closer option list down the stretch of the season. Good thing Melancon was on his game.

I would agree if he'd brought Bastardo in during a closing situation, but it wasn't a closing situation until those guys were let on base.

I would agree if he'd brought Bastardo in during a closing situation, but it wasn't a closing situation until those guys were let on base.

It was not a situation where Bastardo would qualify for a MLB "Save" in the stat sheet. But it was a situation where whoever came in was being called upon to save the win for the team. Best thing about it was that Hurdle gave him a quick pull. I would rather he use Soria or Watson in the 2nd closer role, when he doesn't feel it's necessary to use Melancon.

Wasn't the Glov supposed to be at tonight's game???
You never know with the GLOV. He's a McKees Rocks guy, but he spends a lot of time in New Mexico. The reasons appear to be mysterious. Is he on the lam? Looking for gold? Filming a movie with Jennifer Lawrence? coaching 3rd base for the Albuquerque Isotopes?
confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

It was not a situation where Bastardo would qualify for a MLB "Save" in the stat sheet. But it was a situation where whoever came in was being called upon to save the win for the team. Best thing about it was that Hurdle gave him a quick pull. I would rather he use Soria or Watson in the 2nd closer role, when he doesn't feel it's necessary to use Melancon.

Gotcha. It was odd they didn't use Bastardo in the 7th instead of Soria.

Gotcha. It was odd they didn't use Bastardo in the 7th instead of Soria.
Not part of the script. Remember, in the 7th they were only up by three. I like Clint, but he rarely deviates from the formula. In games such as this It will be Soria, Watson, Melancon (in save situations) come hell or high water.

I was at the game tonight and it was a nice, hard-fought win for the Bucs. Happ did a great job and now has 2 impressive outings after a dismal debut with the Pirates. It was nice to see Sean Rodriquez have 3 hits, and for Marte and McCutchen to each have 2 hits. I can understand why Hurdle would have preferred not to use Melancon in the 9th and save him for more of the Giants series, but it absolutely made sense to have a quick hook with Bastardo who hasn't been pitching badly lately. For the Giants series, I hope that the Pirates get at least a split and would love to see them winning 3 out of 4.

I was at the game tonight and it was a nice, hard-fought win for the Bucs. Happ did a great job and now has 2 impressive outings after a dismal debut with the Pirates. It was nice to see Sean Rodriquez have 3 hits, and for Marte and McCutchen to each have 2 hits. I can understand why Hurdle would have preferred not to use Melancon in the 9th and save him for more of the Giants series, but it absolutely made sense to have a quick hook with Bastardo who hasn't been pitching badly lately. For the Giants series, I hope that the Pirates get at least a split and would love to see them winning 3 out of 4.

I'll be reporting live from Friday's game.

Hope Morton can give them a good outing tonight. Need to start off the series with a win.

Reactions: SteveMasters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT