ADVERTISEMENT

Quick history note and something most would drink to ...

mcgowan.jpg

Classic speech by a Mississippi state representative on (both sides) of the issue of alcohol sales. From 1952:

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

If– when you say whiskey– you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if– when you say whiskey– you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

http://southernmemoriesandupdates.c...ggy-sweat-takes-a-strong-stand-alcohol-sales/

Classic speech by a Mississippi state representative on (both sides) of the issue of alcohol sales. From 1952:

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

If– when you say whiskey– you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if– when you say whiskey– you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

http://southernmemoriesandupdates.c...ggy-sweat-takes-a-strong-stand-alcohol-sales/
The cause and solution to all of life’s problems.

XWMOLkWYfqiMPsxvQlfBLU7oSMc=.gif

Last edited:
Prohibition was probably one of the biggest mistakes in US Gov't history, due to all the stuff that prohibition brought about.

Where was the first delivery made?
Lol they didn’t tell us that on the brewery tour!!!
Serious statement. Back in the day I worked for the survey crew Our job was to map everything up and down the main the drag in Pottsville including what was underneath the streets. Any way we found a bunch of tunnels underneath the street right around the brewery. We asked for ascess to measure the tunnels, they asked for a warrant!! We went on with out them

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
My all time favorite t shirt seen on the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk:

Drink till she looks good!

Ken Burns did a great documentary on Probation. What I found amazing was the strength of the Anti-Saloon League (ASL). Unlike other organizations they were not against drinking per se, but were against Saloons. In their view it was OK to drink in the home, but Saloons were in business to get men to spend their pay and deprive the wife and children. Also he did a great job of linking three amendments to the Constitution, allowing an income tax, giving women the vote and prohibition. Prohibition needed the first two to pass.

Lol they didn’t tell us that on the brewery tour!!!
Serious statement. Back in the day I worked for the survey crew Our job was to map everything up and down the main the drag in Pottsville including what was underneath the streets. Any way we found a bunch of tunnels underneath the street right around the brewery. We asked for ascess to measure the tunnels, they asked for a warrant!! We went on with out them

The tunnels from the main brewery on Mahantango and 3rd Streets go under Sharp Mountain and were used to refrigerate and age the beer back in the days. Revenuers would ask to access the tunnels and be given hard hats; hard hats where to protect them from collapsing tunnel ceilings (gotta love those yonkos in Pottsville). Revenuers decided that discretion was better that a roof collapsing on them. Thus, Yuengling was able to produce been at the moment that Prohibition was repealed. By the way, it takes about 21 days to make beer!

The tunnels from the main brewery on Mahantango and 3rd Streets go under Sharp Mountain and were used to refrigerate and age the beer back in the days. Revenuers would ask to access the tunnels and be given hard hats; hard hats where to protect them from collapsing tunnel ceilings (gotta love those yonkos in Pottsville). Revenuers decided that discretion was better that a roof collapsing on them. Thus, Yuengling was able to produce been at the moment that Prohibition was repealed. By the way, it takes about 21 days to make beer!
I got to see those tunnels a couple of times. They are pretty cool, but certainly scary. We didn't venture to far into them. Love the Yuengling Brewery tours! FYI everyone, they also have a great gift shop with lots of cool stuff.

yep, but here's the problem, that's not where we were!! We were on the North side of Norwegian St when we found the tunnels!! We really think they ran back into the Necho Allen hotel somehow. Did they have a speak easy down there? I dont know.

Just saw this recently, but appears it has been out there for a while...Winston Churchill's "doctor's note" allowing him to be served alcohol while in the US for a speaking tour near the end of the prohibition era, in a "naturally indefinite" quantity (which sounds like the doctor may have been aided in defining the proper dosage by Sir Winston):

churchill-alcohol-letter.jpg

More on the story behind the note is here.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bmw199
Recently found out recently that I had a grand uncle (my grandmother's older brother) had a speakeasy in NYC. Irish side of the family, so was very believable. being Irish, he was known to be a heavy drinker and people would ask his devout Irish catholic wife how that reconciled with her strong catholic faith. I guess she had a famous reply along the lines of "God has given him an unquenchable thirst".

yep, but here's the problem, that's not where we were!! We were on the North side of Norwegian St when we found the tunnels!! We really think they ran back into the Necho Allen hotel somehow. Did they have a speak easy down there? I dont know.

Of course, not sure what tunnels you are referring . Necho Allen Hotel was on the corner of Centre and Mahantango. Norwegian Street was the next street to the north of Mahantango. Are you referring to the Yuengling Ice Cream plant is essentially located between Mahantango & Norwegian streets and Fourth & Fifth Streets. Ice Cream plant is across the street from the brewery and currently houses the gift shop and museum; it is also used for water treatment and storage. There maybe tunnels between the two buildings.

ADVERTISEMENT