ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Game Thoughts......................

Meh..... it is all cyclical. Barkley will be gone soon. What a beast.........

and to think that in 2 of those wins against you Barkley wasn't even involved. Hmmmm....get ready for Miles Sanders and Ricky Slade. LOL
And yes thank you for confirming that, Barkley is a BEAST.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Farentz and Franklin shook hands. Not sure where the complaints about Ferentz are coming from.
As for #28, he was beaten for the TD and took a poor angle (again) on the TD run.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
If I'm N. Lion and I just beat Iowa farm kids on their own farm...
I'm def looking to take down Bama in NC.
No?

Great friggin' game. I don't believe either team played great so much as the other team forced that to occur.

No?

No. I'm looking forward to discussing how the team won a game where (minus Barkley) they played soooo poorly. Then the discussion turns to Indiana. Indiana.... Indiana.... Indiana.

Iowa fans are hurt so that was his best attempt to troll this board and mock us. Really sad.

No. I'm looking forward to discussing how the team won a game where (minus Barkley) they played soooo poorly. Then the discussion turns to Indiana. Indiana.... Indiana.... Indiana.

Reactions: psu00
Ricky Slade

Um, let's let Miles Sanders have his turn first (he who played well tonight in a limited number of plays).

Future looks bright at RB post SaQuan.

Will these guys be as good as Barkley? Probably not. But consider this: there are a lot of other playmakers, especially in the passing game, that will get more of the touches #26 is amassing now. Pick your poison.

I would like to see more of #2 in there with Trace. Not sure why we didn't see that tonight. It's more than just a gimmick. Perhaps they didn't want to chance getting one of the QBs hurt (?)

The team. Minus Barkley.
Now that sure as hell is something to think about.

The team. Minus Barkley.
Now that sure as hell is something to think about.

Not really. Every team has ups and downs. They had a very off night, took iowa's best shot, in Kinnick at night, and yet still found a way to win. They need to correct the mistakes from tonight and focus on the next game.

Passing lanes must be cleared. 6 or 7 passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

Without re-watching the game, that was great coaching by Iowa. You have a shorter QB, get your hands up to knock passes down. Iowa was definitely prepared to beat Penn State last night.

Farentz and Franklin shook hands. Not sure where the complaints about Ferentz are coming from.
As for #28, he was beaten for the TD and took a poor angle (again) on the TD run.
And #2 held twice on back to back plays with one being called for a huge penalty on Iowa's last TD drive.. #4 took an awful angle and whiffed on a TD while taking out Cabinda. Picking apart safety misses is pretty easy to do in all honesty. #28 also had a key FG block.

The referees, I can't call them bad, but truly inconsistent. These stood out to me.

1) the lack of holding called on Iowa vs our 3 holding calls, inconsistent. The one on Thompkins wasn't even a hold (check the angle the defender took; Thompkins got flagged for a defender fighting through) and Charles hold was really ticky tacky after the way Jackson hand-jockeyed our WRs all night. Which brings us to...

2) Pass Interference. Iowa got one of the offensive variety for a blatant pick play. We had two because our CB ran close with a WR. If those were PI, Iowa's Jackson committed PI on every pass he defended.

3) Reviews. We got a 7 minute review of Haley's INT that was reversed (since it was called an INT, should have stood. Video didn't confirm anything). Then on McSorley's fumble, ZERO review. Really? It wasn't even worth a look? The replay expert who chimes in during the telecast even said,McSorley "shotput" the ball. Regardless of the determination, it should have been reviewed. The run where Barkley's knee possibly touched should have been reviewed, but you already had reviews on a previous run (ball was moved from the 7 to 19) and on the Barkley TD (I thought Herbie was going to cry out of bounds because he didn't touch the pylon).

This game was full of high drama. State marched up and down the field, but Iowa bent without breaking. Iowa was shut down offensively save for 3 plays, but boy were those 3 big, all touchdowns. Two blocked FGs, and a game winning touchdown with zeros on the clock. What more can a fan ask for?

Besides heart medicine.

PS: fukk time of possession. We led this stat 40 to 20. Barely won.
Agree completely, especially #3. Refs set a prettly low bar at the beginning for holding, but then never used it against Iowa. No review of McSorely batted pass ... C'mon!!!. Terribly inconsistent officiating.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Just think. Had Iowa played with balls the entire game.......... Iowa smokes you.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. The PSU defense ate Iowa alive almost all night. Iowa ran three good plays the entire night on offense.

Don't worry, when wrestling season gets here PSU will break Iowa's heart again and it will be just as enjoyable as last night only it won't be nearly as close for you guys.

Oh, and by the way, let me know when the Iowa football team grows a set.

Reactions: PSUPride1
DVRed the game...just finished watching. Holy shit was I wrong....thought we'd house the Hawks. Kudos to them for keeping PSU in a phone booth. That said, missed what Ferentz said/did. Please elaborate.

Apparently he barely wanted to shake hands with CJF. Iowa fans are losing their minds over it saying Ferentz barely shook his hand.

According to HR Ferentz acts like a sore loser but it's CJF who is the bad guy.

I was in FL with m family. We were at Universal Studios for the day. Made it a point to get somewhere to watch the game. We ended up at the NBC Studio restaurant/bar. 30 TV's with Florida on. We had one changed to PSU. We had about a half dozen PSU fans including one young lady who was warned multiple times to quiet down. Really ? Gator fans were pretty loud. Nonetheless, it was my first time joining fellow PSU fans at an establishment out of state, and I had a blast !

Reactions: psu00
Agreed. It was unreal how PSU could be a half yard from the end zone and Barkley doesn't get the ball. Moorehead needs to have his head checked.

Hadn't they just stopped him in the backfield on a play or two prior? I agree with Moorehead in using more of our offense. Barkley can't carry this team by himself and given our other talent, he shouldn't have to.

No?
Realizing that this is some sort of lame Iowa-esque sarcastic troll piece, my answer is basically "yes". Winning the NC game is every team's goal this season, and we're still on track and one game closer.

I thought Pry's strategy was great.

Had the offense done what it should have done with over 500 yards of offense, this would have been a 42-21 type game and we wouldn't have been sweating until 0:00

Reactions: Cxy987
And #2 held twice on back to back plays with one being called for a huge penalty on Iowa's last TD drive.. #4 took an awful angle and whiffed on a TD while taking out Cabinda. Picking apart safety misses is pretty easy to do in all honesty. #28 also had a key FG block.

Glad we won the game.

1) I you can cut the Iowa fans and Ferentz a little slack -- this was an incredibly disappointing loss. Probably on the level of Penn State's last second loss to Alabama on the FG block. That one still hurts me as a PSU fan, and this will hurt Iowa fans a long time.

2) Agree Moorhead is the one who is going to be looking at this game and kicking himself a bit. In certain situations (1st and goal from the 2) he just didn't have the magic in this game.

3) The DE PSU couldn't handle, Epenesa, is a freshman but he was the top defensive line prospect in the entire country last year. He needed to be doubled and he was in the end of the game, but PSU coaches should have made that adjustment early -- or had Trace roll out more. Sometimes another team's personnel is just better at a certain matchup and you can't be arrogant about it.

4) The batted balls is something they need to work on. Bats are extremely dangerous and turn into interceptions a lot. Defenses will see this and use their hands more against McSorley.

5) Overall though, great win over what looks like it will be a very tough Iowa team. That stadium has got to be, along with the Beav, the toughest place to play in the Big Ten.

1) I you can cut the Iowa fans and Ferentz a little slack -- this was an incredibly disappointing loss. Probably on the level of Penn State's last second loss to Alabama on the FG block. That one still hurts me as a PSU fan, and this will hurt Iowa fans a long time.

This is how Michigan '05 felt, except we were not aided in moving the ball with penalties.

2) Agree Moorhead is the one who is going to be looking at this game and kicking himself a bit. In certain situations (1st and goal from the 2) he just didn't have the magic in this game.

The 2 TE set we found late in the fourth quarter would have been great here. Iowa knew a run was coming and we still got the first down.

3) The DE PSU couldn't handle, Epenesa, is a freshman but he was the top defensive line prospect in the entire country last year. He needed to be doubled and he was in the end of the game, but PSU coaches should have made that adjustment early -- or had Trace roll out more. Sometimes another team's personnel is just better at a certain matchup and you can't be arrogant about it.

The kid ate Nelson's lunch. I'm glad the staff made the pull. Fries played very good. He got beat on the fumble, but this isn't Trace's blindside. He should have already thrown the ball.

4) The batted balls is something they need to work on. Bats are extremely dangerous and turn into interceptions a lot. Defenses will see this and use their hands more against McSorley.

Pretty sure you mentioned this before the Georgia State game. Good call. The hits from behind were just disastrous. INT, FF recovered by Iowa. Setup two of their TDs.

5) Overall though, great win over what looks like it will be a very tough Iowa team. That stadium has got to be, along with the Beav, the toughest place to play in the Big Ten.

Um, let's let Miles Sanders have his turn first (he who played well tonight in a limited number of plays).

Future looks bright at RB post SaQuan.

Will these guys be as good as Barkley? Probably not. But consider this: there are a lot of other playmakers, especially in the passing game, that will get more of the touches #26 is amassing now. Pick your poison.

I would like to see more of #2 in there with Trace. Not sure why we didn't see that tonight. It's more than just a gimmick. Perhaps they didn't want to chance getting one of the QBs hurt (?)

Perhaps when the offense is going at a record pace (almost 600 yards of offense) there is no need to show more formations or plays ...... rather, save them for when they are needed later in the season.

Anyone else notice that on the final drive TD pass Trace dropped back deeper than he had been for most of the game? That allows him space between him and the pass rush, preventing most of the pass know downs that were happening during the game. I have been disappointed in Trace's judgement this year when he's in the pocket. Too many times he inches forward, toward the rush, and then takes a sack or has a pass knocked down. Hope he can learn from this and drop back further more often going forward....

Agree with everything you said TBoyer.
Everyone is way too eager to be critical and accuse someone else of acting classlessly.

I dont think anyone should have been surprised by Iowa's defensive approach or results.
We have watched Penn State win many, many games in this very manner over the decades.

17. Iowa defense was lucky to keep PSU out of the end zone. I can't say any defense played well when they give up close to 600 yards.
18. PSU got hosed on a couple of calls, including Haley's INT that was over turned. No way the replay showed the ball actually hitting the ground. His hands were under the ball, the point was not down, and if his hands are under it the ball can move in his hands. Over turning on those replays was a joke, but typical of how PSU has gotten screwed by incompetent B10 officating.
19. I thought the pass interference on Campbell was a joke as well. He had position and the WR tried unsuccessfully to go through him when Campbell was looking for the ball, which was overthrown anyway. The weak WR tried to run through a faster player and fell to the ground, where he belonged. How is that a penalty?
20. Then not even a replay review on Trace's fumble. His arm looked like it was going forward with the ball still in his hand, even though the ball was turned due to contact by the DL.

I wouldn't call Iowa lucky to keep PSU out of the end zone. Short yardage has been a problem for PSU.

Overruling Haley's INT was the correct call. I didn't think so until I saw the last video angle.

I agree that PI call on Campbell was wrong but he got away with a hold later on.

Trace's fumble was the correct call IMO. The arm has to be going forward (it was) with 100% control (it wasn't). I agree that it deserved to be reviewed.

When you look at this game in total, Iowa truly has become Penn State from 20 years ago. Defense first, field position via special teams 2nd, and offense 3rd. I'm SO GLAD that is not PSU anymore.

I was good with the old style and I'm good with the new style. Whatever it takes to win.

Meh..... it is all cyclical. Barkley will be gone soon. What a beast.........

No, It won't be cyclical. The only reason you had as much success is because we had a legendary coach stay many years past his prime leading to losing records in four out of five seasons to start the 2000's. We had one losing season in the (62) seasons prior to that. This was followed by the Sandusky scandal. These events helped Iowa's win total tremendously. This will not be the case going forward. Iowa will lose to Penn State annually and sometime bad! I don't think Ferentz ever beats Penn State again. The talent gap will grow greater every year for a while. Franklin also recruits "speed" which is the slow Iowa, farmer boy's kryptonite. This spells doom for Iowa playing Penn State for the next 20 years. If you like the taste of a "win" over Penn State, then you will have to live in the past like Pitt......

Reactions: ejb25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT