ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Game Thoughts......................

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
1. Hats off to Iowa. Great game plan to keep everything in front of the defense.
2. Barkley. Just wow.
3. Pry. Too risky. No need to blitz every down. Nearly cost us the game.
4. #28 showed up for us tonight. Blocked FG was huge.
5. Defense was flying to the ball. This is the defense I expected to see in the last two games.
6. We miss #12, big time.
7. Trace is hot and cold. Thank God he ended the game hot.
8. O Line needs much more improvement. They got abused by a true freshman DE.
9. Barkley. Just wow!
10. This team needed a win like this. Confidence and character builder.
11. #10. Dropped a few passes.
12. LBers came to play.
13. I like #6 over #7 at LB.

Give Iowa credit, they ran three good plays on offense and they all went for touchdowns. Outside of that they had nothing.

Don't look now though, Hawkeye Report is losing their minds like it's wrestling season. Ferentz acted like a poor sport and they are all defending him.

Iowa fans are the second worse fans in the B1G but they are gaining on UM.

Give Iowa credit, they ran three good plays on offense and they all went for touchdowns. Outside of that they had nothing.

Don't look now though, Hawkeye Report is losing their minds like it's wrestling season. Ferentz acted like a poor sport and they are all defending him.

Iowa fans are he second worse fans in the B1G but they are gaining on UM.

They had nothing? We beat them on the last play of the game as double digit favotites, I think Iowa ha alot and gave us a real test tonight.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
Despite being beat for the first touchdown, Apke made up for it with the FG block AND breaking up the first two point conversion attempt.

Reactions: 46DavePSU
1. Hats off to Iowa. Great game plan to keep everything in front of the defense.
2. Barkley. Just wow.
5. Defense was flying to the ball. This is the defense I expected to see in the last two games.
9. Barkley. Just wow!
12. LBers came to play.

Agree on #3. The blitz led to the 70 yard TD and I'm not sure if it was a run blitz or not, but what in the hell were they doing on the TD run? I think I could have taken that to the house.

What was Frentz's beef? He and his squad played a gutsy heroic game. Nothing to be disappointed in. One play is all that separated the two squads. Incredible game and performance.

sounds like iowa fans are classy in person as well...

"Mitch ShermanESPN Staff Writer
I rode the elevator from the press box to the Kinnick concourse with Penn State coaches, whose faces showed a mix of shock and respect for Iowa. I don't think the feeling of victory had set in yet. They were incredibly quiet, considering what had just happened. Of course, when they exited the elevator and got on golf carts for a ride to the locker room as Iowa fans screamed unpleasant things, reality likely hit them square."

2. Barkley. Just wow.
9. Barkley. Just wow!
12. LBers came to play.

Agreed about Iowa playing hard. Pry shouldn't have To be that risky . Game almost lost by offense completely .

Who kept getting beat at the RT? Was it Fries or Nelson. What happened to wright?

Nelson kept getting beat. He looks like he's done, sorry to say, but it's hard keeping up with speed rushers with bad knees

Who kept getting beat at the RT? Was it Fries or Nelson. What happened to wright?
Apparently Wright is hurt and can't come back soon enough. Nelson got beaten like a rented mule and should not play again all season, unless both Wright and Fries are hurt. He absolutely sucked.

Reactions: PSUChicago
Biggest problems on offense are RT, RPO in short yardage and people not named Barkley making enough plays.
Defense being overaggressive versus a tepid offense cost us two long TD's. The last one ironically left enough time on the clock for the winning drive.
FG unit a real problem. Coverage teams solid.
On the positive side, the offense showed a huge amount of poise at the end. Barkley ? What can I say ? Greatest running back ever for PSU. Best back in CFB and maybe on Earth.
Defense showed a lot of speed and tackled better.

2. Barkley. Just wow.
9. Barkley. Just wow!
12. LBers came to play.

14. Cabinda was out of position on key plays, and took himself out of key plays by not covering his area of the field. He needs to be the leader of the defense, and get the defense aligned correctly, and play sound assignment defense.
15. On the last FG that was blocked, Gellerstadt was MIA as his man dove right by him. As critical as that FG was I'm surprised that the starting OL was not blocking for it.
16. #28/Apke is a very good athlete, but he can not cover WR's and if I was running the defense he would be on the bench when the opponents offense was using 3 WR's, replaced by someone that can cover. He was lost trying to cover WR's on a number of plays, particularly on the quick TD after Trace was hit as he threw and the ball was intercepted.
17. Iowa defense was lucky to keep PSU out of the end zone. I can't say any defense played well when they give up close to 600 yards.
18. PSU got hosed on a couple of calls, including Haley's INT that was over turned. No way the replay showed the ball actually hitting the ground. His hands were under the ball, the point was not down, and if his hands are under it the ball can move in his hands. Over turning on those replays was a joke, but typical of how PSU has gotten screwed by incompetent B10 officating.
19. I thought the pass interference on Campbell was a joke as well. He had position and the WR tried unsuccessfully to go through him when Campbell was looking for the ball, which was overthrown anyway. The weak WR tried to run through a faster player and fell to the ground, where he belonged. How is that a penalty?
20. Then not even a replay review on Trace's fumble. His arm looked like it was going forward with the ball still in his hand, even though the ball was turned due to contact by the DL.
21. I though our front 4 on D played very well, but the rush petered out as they got tired (and as Iowa got away with more holding), even with the substituting. But I would have liked to see more of the freshmen DB's in coverage, as Allen plays like a LB (holding call was blatant) and outside of Haley our starting DB's gave up too much to some very below average WR's.
22. I saw a number of Iowa holding calls that were missed in the 2nd half, allowing Iowa to begin to move the ball some. And a couple of the holds were on scoring drives.
23. PSU should have won by a score of 31-7, at least. But the inability to punch it in from inside the 10, along with the home field for Iowa and some B.S. calls, made the game into a dramatic episode that almost gave me a heart attack.

In fact, after the TD on the last play I texted a bunch of friends, and my two sons, saying that I had a heart attack and was on my way to the hospital. And then .... "just kidding".....

Last edited:
Apparently Wright is hurt and can't come back soon enough. Nelson got beaten like a rented mule and should not play again all season, unless both Wright and Fries are hurt. He absolutely sucked.
Sad to see this for a guy who has given so much. I blame the coaches for putting him out there. They had to know it wasn't going to work out. Nellie has lost a lot since 2015.

Reactions: ralphster
14. Keep the stallion Off kick off return team....let him rest and get restless in the corral/sideline..done with that experiment.

Agree. I was also surprised that Sanders ran the last KO out from a few yards deep. At that point why waste a few seconds when the option to start at the 25 was there. Coaches decision, not Sanders.....

The referees, I can't call them bad, but truly inconsistent. These stood out to me.

1) the lack of holding called on Iowa vs our 3 holding calls, inconsistent. The one on Thompkins wasn't even a hold (check the angle the defender took; Thompkins got flagged for a defender fighting through) and Charles hold was really ticky tacky after the way Jackson hand-jockeyed our WRs all night. Which brings us to...

2) Pass Interference. Iowa got one of the offensive variety for a blatant pick play. We had two because our CB ran close with a WR. If those were PI, Iowa's Jackson committed PI on every pass he defended.

3) Reviews. We got a 7 minute review of Haley's INT that was reversed (since it was called an INT, should have stood. Video didn't confirm anything). Then on McSorley's fumble, ZERO review. Really? It wasn't even worth a look? The replay expert who chimes in during the telecast even said,McSorley "shotput" the ball. Regardless of the determination, it should have been reviewed. The run where Barkley's knee possibly touched should have been reviewed, but you already had reviews on a previous run (ball was moved from the 7 to 19) and on the Barkley TD (I thought Herbie was going to cry out of bounds because he didn't touch the pylon).

This game was full of high drama. State marched up and down the field, but Iowa bent without breaking. Iowa was shut down offensively save for 3 plays, but boy were those 3 big, all touchdowns. Two blocked FGs, and a game winning touchdown with zeros on the clock. What more can a fan ask for?

Besides heart medicine.

PS: fukk time of possession. We led this stat 40 to 20. Barely won.

14. Keep the stallion Off kick off return team....let him rest and get restless in the corral/sideline..done with that experiment.
He did it really in high school, but that's high school. His timing is not there at all. Why take the risk unless you have too?

Reactions: lionsnphils
Agree w/ all. I'll add that there's something odd about that place. 1) the field itself seems to have too much rubber in it and 2) at night, w/ the close crowd there seems to be perception problems sometimes. Didn't they have temporary lights they turned into permanent lights? Something seems off watching on television.

The referees, I can't call them bad, but truly inconsistent. These stood out to me.

1) the lack of holding called on Iowa vs our 3 holding calls, inconsistent. The one on Thompkins wasn't even a hold (check the angle the defender took; Thompkins got flagged for a defender fighting through) and Charles hold was really ticky tacky after the way Jackson hand-jockeyed our WRs all night. Which brings us to...

2) Pass Interference. Iowa got one of the offensive variety for a blatant pick play. We had two because our CB ran close with a WR. If those were PI, Iowa's Jackson committed PI on every pass he defended.

3) Reviews. We got a 7 minute review of Haley's INT that was reversed (since it was called an INT, should have stood. Video didn't confirm anything). Then on McSorley's fumble, ZERO review. Really? It wasn't even worth a look? The replay expert who chimes in during the telecast even said,McSorley "shotput" the ball. Regardless of the determination, it should have been reviewed. The run where Barkley's knee possibly touched should have been reviewed, but you already had reviews on a previous run (ball was moved from the 7 to 19) and on the Barkley TD (I thought Herbie was going to cry out of bounds because he didn't touch the pylon).

This game was full of high drama. State marched up and down the field, but Iowa bent without breaking. Iowa was shut down offensively save for 3 plays, but boy were those 3 big, all touchdowns. Two blocked FGs, and a game winning touchdown with zeros on the clock. What more can a fan ask for?

Besides heart medicine.

PS: fukk time of possession. We led this stat 40 to 20. Barely won.
When you look at this game in total, Iowa truly has become Penn State from 20 years ago. Defense first, field position via special teams 2nd, and offense 3rd. I'm SO GLAD that is not PSU anymore.

Reactions: Ski and AvgUser
When you look at this game in total, Iowa truly has become Penn State from 20 years ago. Defense first, field position via special teams 2nd, and offense 3rd. I'm SO GLAD that is not PSU anymore.

Oddly enough, they didn't even beat us in special teams play. We controlled the clock, we kept better field position, and other than 3 plays stifled their offense.

If this were boxing, we would have been ahead on all the score cards until they knocked us down a couple times late, requiring us to throw a KO punch to seal the win.

Iowa fans are the second worse fans in the B1G but they are gaining on UM.
DVRed the game...just finished watching. Holy shit was I wrong....thought we'd house the Hawks. Kudos to them for keeping PSU in a phone booth. That said, missed what Ferentz said/did. Please elaborate.

DVRed the game...just finished watching. Holy shit was I wrong....thought we'd house the Hawks. Kudos to them for keeping PSU in a phone booth. That said, missed what Ferentz said/did. Please elaborate.

Too much over analysis of every detail. I didn't see it (I was celebrating) but I guess Ferentz didn't shake hands right. Who cares!? Trace punted the football in victory. Big deal. Football is emotionally draining. Normal reactions for the participants involved.

Or karma for punking on the HR swing. Or Wadleys Zeke Elliott impression.

ADVERTISEMENT