ADVERTISEMENT

Questions on Meek Mill...

Notsofastmyfriend21

Mar 16, 2018
1. Who is Meek Mill?
2. Why was it so important to free Meek Mill? Was he innocent?
3. What was Meek Mill arrested for, originally?
4. What does the full, entire rap sheet on Meek Mill contain?
5. What makes Meek Mill a hero, if that is the correct term, in Philadelphia?

I really, don't know much about Mr. Meek Mill, so I'm simply wondering about his fame, and the how and why, about him being beloved so much. Thanks for any input! Perhaps a clip or two of Meek's music?

1. Who is Meek Mill?

I really, don't know much about Mr. Meek Mill, so I'm simply wondering about his fame, and the how and why, about him being beloved so much. Thanks for any input! Perhaps a clip or two of Meek's music?
I have the same questions about Vince Fumo.

If you don't like rap, you won't like it, naturally. But to anyone who does, arguably best wrap song in long time. And all the players you root for, especially any with Philly ties get pumped up with this song, kind of like the whole Eagles team.

so i read this and don't understand why he is looked at as some type of hero in Philadelphia. His sentence may have been a little harsh, but he broke the law on multiple occasions and refused to abide by his probation. Why is he being treated like a king in Philadelphia with the sports team owners literally personally taking him around and being next to him and letting him be in their box as a honored guest. what am i missing?

It's important to understand that all of Meek Mill's legal troubles stemmed from a 2008 arrest for possession of guns and narcotics. He served his sentence and was then placed on probation. He misbehaved on probation, which led to it being extended several times. The final straw was a reckless driving charge, which, combined with his probation violation, led to a 2- to 4-year prison term. There was issues with the credibility of the arresting officer, however. Read this article for more on that.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7a8c409298b_story.html?utm_term=.af6b8bad9c08

So, basically, Meek Mill lived his entire adult life on probation. The random (and minor) missteps along the way led to far greater punishment than his initial (and more major) arrest.

Black people are arrested and imprisoned for probation, parole violations, the like at a far greater rate than whites. The prison system in Philadelphia, in particular, has half its people in jail for probation. That's ridiculous. Meek's sort of the face on the argument that blacks on probation are not treated fairly.

As far as his rap career, Meek's career was spiraling downward after losing a beef with Drake and this all has reinvigorated his career in a major way.

Last edited:
so i read this and don't understand why he is looked at as some type of hero in Philadelphia. His sentence may have been a little harsh, but he broke the law on multiple occasions and refused to abide by his probation. Why is he being treated like a king in Philadelphia with the sports team owners literally personally taking him around and being next to him and letting him be in their box as a honored guest. what am i missing?

Where have you seen that he is a some big hero/king in Philly?? I have many friends and relatives who live in Philly that have never even mentioned him. A 76ers co-owner treated him like a king. What other Philly sports team owners are you referring to? Maybe a better question would be why Patriots owner, Robert Kraft, visited Mill in prison. Is Mill some kind of big hero in Boston?

Where have you seen that he is a some big hero in Philly?? I have many friends and relatives who live in Philly that have never even mentioned him. A 76ers co-owner treated him like a king. What other Philly sports team owners are you referring to? Maybe a better question would be why Patriots owner, Robert Kraft, visited Mill in prison. Is Mill some kind of big hero in Boston?
http://theundefeated.com/features/meek-mill-rally-was-about-way-more-than-the-philadelphia-rapper/

"Carrying signs, wearing “Free Meek Mill” T-shirts and occasionally shouting lyrics to several of the rapper’s tracks, the boisterous crowd shut down several short blocks outside the Criminal Justice Center, which is just a block away from City Hall.

It was a diverse crowd. A loud crowd. But, representing all parts of Philadelphia, everyone came in peace".

Reactions: garw
Meek is a hero to many who lead a life on the streets in Philly and others. Basically he made it from poverty to riches. He is gifted in the art of rap. He creates or raps others rhymes/stories. A majority of the rhymes tell a story about the struggles of the African American population and the "lifestyle"( crime ,drugs,cops, busting ho's , family issues, death and money). He certainly is not friendly to law enforcement and the system. Although his stance may have changed, while incarcerated at SCI Chester, he was given very favorable/special treatment as many famous people get who are in this position.

Reactions: Kmase21
http://theundefeated.com/features/meek-mill-rally-was-about-way-more-than-the-philadelphia-rapper/

"Carrying signs, wearing “Free Meek Mill” T-shirts and occasionally shouting lyrics to several of the rapper’s tracks, the boisterous crowd shut down several short blocks outside the Criminal Justice Center, which is just a block away from City Hall.

It was a diverse crowd. A loud crowd. But, representing all parts of Philadelphia, everyone came in peace".

Were there 1.6 million Philadelphia residents in the crowd?

I don't believe it is unreasonable to believe that Meek's punishment from the probation violations, was unnecessarily harsh. At the same time, I don't have a great deal of knowledge of the system and how it functions for most people, under similar circumstances. This is simply questioning the final sentencing based on the violations, without judgement on racial profiling or racism in the court system or criminal punishment system.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Meek is a hero to many who lead a life on the streets in Philly and others. Basically he made it from poverty to riches. He is gifted in the art of rap. He creates or raps others rhymes/stories. A majority of the rhymes tell a story about the struggles of the African American population and the "lifestyle"( crime ,drugs,cops, busting ho's , family issues, death and money). He certainly is not friendly to law enforcement and the system. Although his stance may have changed, while incarcerated at SCI Chester, he was given very favorable/special treatment as many famous people get who are in this position.

So it is not unreasonable to say that Meek Mill is a hero in Philadelphia. Thank you. Case considered closed and now we can move on to the question about his pre-probation violation arrests.

If you don't like rap, you won't like it, naturally. But to anyone who does, arguably best wrap song in long time. And all the players you root for, especially any with Philly ties get pumped up with this song, kind of like the whole Eagles team.

I like many different kinds of music, including some rap, and I love this song. Thanks for the link. Meek has talent.

He's all around trash. When he breaks the law again, and he aill, lots of celebrities will be eating crow.

It's important to understand that all of Meek Mill's legal troubles stemmed from a 2008 arrest for possession of guns and narcotics. He served his sentence and was then placed on probation. He misbehaved on probation, which led to it being extended several times. The final straw was a reckless driving charge, which, combined with his probation violation, led to a 2- to 4-year prison term. There was issues with the credibility of the arresting officer, however. Read this article for more on that.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7a8c409298b_story.html?utm_term=.af6b8bad9c08

So, basically, Meek Mill lived his entire adult life on probation. The random (and minor) missteps along the way led to far greater punishment than his initial (and more major) arrest.

Black people are arrested and imprisoned for probation, parole violations, the like at a far greater rate than whites. The prison system in Philadelphia, in particular, has half its people in jail for probation. That's ridiculous. Meek's sort of the face on the argument that blacks on probation are not treated fairly.

As far as his rap career, Meek's career was spiraling downward after losing a beef with Drake and this all has reinvigorated his career in a major way.

Yeah, Drake crushed him so bad I thought he went back to prison on purpose.

Reactions: SaquonCappelletti
I don't believe it is unreasonable to believe that Meek's punishment from the probation violations, was unnecessarily harsh. At the same time, I don't have a great deal of knowledge of the system and how it functions for most people, under similar circumstances. This is simply questioning the final sentencing based on the violations, without judgement on racial profiling or racism in the court system or criminal punishment system.
The problem with that line of thinking is that you can’t really fairly discuss one without discussing the other. They’re inextricably linked.

Reactions: Anison
He has a way of connecting well with people. Also has alot of good contacts

1. Who is Meek Mill?

Who cares?

Gonna look into the MM catalog....any other suggested songs? Man has skills.

I listened to that song and think he’s average at best. No real technique or creativity IMO - pass on MM and check out Kendrick Lamar (Humble) or even Drake.

What was the Drake v. Meek beef about?

The 'gist'....

MM asked for people to stop comparing him to Drake because 'he don't write his own raps;' alleging Drake didn't write his verse on a collaboration of theirs and that Drake wouldn't promote his album because MM knew that he didn't write his own stuff. To further complicate things, MM was dating Nicki Minaj (probably a better rapper than both of them) at the time, and she and Drake have a long history of collaboration and romance. Still, Drake didn't take kindly to MM - released a couple of dis tracks in a row and people were clowning MM hard. I remember the PSU players being really vocal about how Drake needs to ease up. After that, MM kind of disappeared for a bit.

Reactions: tgar
The 'gist'....

MM asked for people to stop comparing him to Drake because 'he don't write his own raps;' alleging Drake didn't write his verse on a collaboration of theirs and that Drake wouldn't promote his album because MM knew that he didn't write his own stuff. To further complicate things, MM was dating Nicki Minaj (probably a better rapper than both of them) at the time, and she and Drake have a long history of collaboration and romance. Still, Drake didn't take kindly to MM - released a couple of dis tracks in a row and people were clowning MM hard. I remember the PSU players being really vocal about how Drake needs to ease up. After that, MM kind of disappeared for a bit.

He got bodied by a singin' n*gga. :D

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Man, I'm OLD! And Barbara Billingsly is no longer around to help me out.

If Philly cops walked up on 3 Penn students holding a couple grams of drugs (pills, powder, whatever) and $500 of cash between them then rolled up on some West Philly teens holding the same amount of contraband how do you think the cops, penal system and courts will handle the 2 issues.

You may say the same way, I am a bit more skeptical.

And that's what Meek's fans think,the criminal system does not treat people like him fairly.

If Philly cops walked up on 3 Penn students holding a couple grams of drugs (pills, powder, whatever) and $500 of cash between them then rolled up on some West Philly teens holding the same amount of contraband how do you think the cops, penal system and courts will handle the 2 issues.

You may say the same way, I am a bit more skeptical.

And that's what Meek's fans think,the criminal system does not treat people like him fairly.
Oh, you mean like a Stanford swimmer can rape chicks in a alley and get no jail time? No need for hypotheticals.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
-Real nigga what up
Real nigga what up
If you aint about that murda game
Then pussy nigga shut up-

Move over Walt Whitman, there's a new number one on the poetry list.
In fairness to MM, if he didn't use the n-word his rap would be less than a minute.

If I want to listen to rap I will break out my Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang and Run DMC tapes. Now get off my lawn!!

Statue in front of Lincoln Field. Legend. You are missing a lot.

As a white person that has spent time at ACJ (no I'm not proud of it) let me tell you guys what should be obvious. If you have a few grams on you (I had cocaine and marijuana), and a bunch of cash (around $1500), the police are taking you to jail. They don't care what color you are. If you want to stay out of jail, it is easy to not violate terms of your probation. Don't smoke weed, drink, do other drugs, or generally act like an asshole. Also, if you are caught violating your probation, you're going to jail. The probation officer doesn't care what color you are.
I always think that anyone that has been in jail, and thinks it's not so bad that it didn't change their life, might as well just stay there.

I like rap, but I don't get the appeal of this song...no real hook or musicality about it

ADVERTISEMENT