ADVERTISEMENT

Questions (and some answers/opinions) about Rose Bowl/Pasadena

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
I've tried to answer questions/share my opinion of feedback in the other Rose Bowl related discussion threads but might be easier to post some stuff here and share my email for questions.

Background: my wife (also PSU alum) and I have lived in Pasadena for past 12 years. We live towards the end of the parade route--a few blocks away. We may have two extra tickets available, I'll know for sure in a few days. We may have parade tickets but won't know until end of this coming week. I've already been asked--sorry, parking at my place is limited and may not be ideal (you'd have to Uber from here since it's too far to walk).
  • Parking:
    • Rose Bowl used to discourage parking at the stadium because its limited and can be a pain to get in and out of.
    • If it rains, they will not park on the golf courses around the stadium which means they will do street parking which would be a friggin nightmare.
    • If you are going to do the parade along with the game, Parsons would be a good option. They will have a fleet of shuttles from Parsons to the stadium though you could also walk from Old Town.
    • Parking far enough away and using Uber is a good option. You will just have to be patient--especially after the game. Walk back to Old Town from the game, have a beer, then request an Uber.
  • Parade:
    • Is it worth it? I'm not a parade person but if you've never done it, yes, it's quite the show.
    • If you are going to do it, grandstand seats are great to sit and relax and watch it. They do recommend you are in your seats by/around 6:30am (parade starts at 8am).
    • If you dont have tickets to grandstand seats, you can stand and watch though that's lots of standing. There is a tradition to camp out along the parade route to ensure a front row spot but do you really want to camp out along the street and then go to the game afterwards?
    • If you are towards the beginning of the parade route, it will be done around 10ish so you'll have some time before you need to get to the stadium. Game is at 2p but going through gates, seeing pre-game activities, you should be in your seat by 1p.
    • If you are in the area the day after, you can go up to the end of the parade route, and walk amongst the floats and see them up close to see all the amazing details.
  • Pep rally/PSU hotel - totally based on last trip so no guarantees it will be the same this year
    • Team/official hotel is JW Marriott at LA Live
    • Pep rally was January 1st at LA Live
  • Stuff to do:
    • This is totally dependent on where your base is going to be. My wife and I are somewhat homebodies so we usually go out to dinner, breweries, shop in/around Pasadena.
      • South Lake Avenue area has some good restaurants (Gaucho Grill, Magnolia House, Granville, Pie and Burger).
      • Old Town also has some good restaurants (Craft is one of my favorites).
      • Looks at Union Street in Old Town, some great food options there.
      • As far as bars/breweries in Pasadena, I'd recommend these: Congregation, Der Wolf, Barney's, Blind Donkey, King's Row, Lucky Baldwin's Rocco's, etc.
    • Outside of Pasadena, this is where my advice wavers.
      • Depending on budget and time, there is Disneyland or at least Downtown Disney (restaurants/shopping).
      • Universal Studios/Universal Studios CityWalk
      • Academy Museum (Oscars) - just opened in the past year. If you are a movie fan, this is the place to go.
      • Grammy Museum (near LA Live) - like the Academy Museum but for music
      • Santa Monica Pier (cliche yes but still cool if you've never been there)
Again, much of this are my opinions so take them with a grain of salt. I'm happy to answer any more questions you have: djmccaslin@gmail.com.

I've tried to answer questions/share my opinion of feedback in the other Rose Bowl related discussion threads but might be easier to post some stuff here and share my email for questions.

Background: my wife (also PSU alum) and I have lived in Pasadena for past 12 years. We live towards the end of the parade route--a few blocks away. We may have two extra tickets available, I'll know for sure in a few days. We may have parade tickets but won't know until end of this coming week. I've already been asked--sorry, parking at my place is limited and may not be ideal (you'd have to Uber from here since it's too far to walk).
  • Parking:
    • Rose Bowl used to discourage parking at the stadium because its limited and can be a pain to get in and out of.
    • If it rains, they will not park on the golf courses around the stadium which means they will do street parking which would be a friggin nightmare.
    • If you are going to do the parade along with the game, Parsons would be a good option. They will have a fleet of shuttles from Parsons to the stadium though you could also walk from Old Town.
    • Parking far enough away and using Uber is a good option. You will just have to be patient--especially after the game. Walk back to Old Town from the game, have a beer, then request an Uber.
  • Parade:
    • Is it worth it? I'm not a parade person but if you've never done it, yes, it's quite the show.
    • If you are going to do it, grandstand seats are great to sit and relax and watch it. They do recommend you are in your seats by/around 6:30am (parade starts at 8am).
    • If you dont have tickets to grandstand seats, you can stand and watch though that's lots of standing. There is a tradition to camp out along the parade route to ensure a front row spot but do you really want to camp out along the street and then go to the game afterwards?
    • If you are towards the beginning of the parade route, it will be done around 10ish so you'll have some time before you need to get to the stadium. Game is at 2p but going through gates, seeing pre-game activities, you should be in your seat by 1p.
    • If you are in the area the day after, you can go up to the end of the parade route, and walk amongst the floats and see them up close to see all the amazing details.
  • Pep rally/PSU hotel - totally based on last trip so no guarantees it will be the same this year
  • Stuff to do:
    • This is totally dependent on where your base is going to be. My wife and I are somewhat homebodies so we usually go out to dinner, breweries, shop in/around Pasadena.
      • South Lake Avenue area has some good restaurants (Gaucho Grill, Magnolia House, Granville, Pie and Burger).
      • As far as bars/breweries in Pasadena, I'd recommend these: Congregation, Der Wolf, Barney's, Blind Donkey, King's Row, Lucky Baldwin's Rocco's, etc.
      • Depending on budget and time, there is Disneyland or at least Downtown Disney (restaurants/shopping).
      • Academy Museum (Oscars) - just opened in the past year. If you are a movie fan, this is the place to go.
Again, much of this are my opinions so take them with a grain of salt. I'm happy to answer any more questions you have: djmccaslin@gmail.com.
Please keep me posted on the extra tickets you may have and the price.

Reactions: djm_psu_alum
Some suggestions from my past trips to the Rose Bowl. (I like to walk, as you will see.)

Stay at the Marriot in Pasadena. Walk everywhere from there, including to the game and the parade. It is expensive, but you will never regret it. After you return from the game, you'll find a complimentary rag in your room to wipe down your shoes. Not a joke. A great breakfast about 2 blocks away, and all the Pasadena restaurants and shops easily accessible. Just 2 or 3 blocks from Colorado Avenue.

A really fine art museum in Pasadena up near where the parade starts. If you visit there a few days before the parade, you can see some of the parade set up and media rehearsals while you stop and rest outside the art museum entrance.

Grandstand seats for the parade are highly recommended to guarantee a clear view for you and your companions. Well worth it and includes a really nifty parade program/magazine. And, when the two bands come through, the place is electric.

This is a parade full of horses, for those who enjoy that.....and some funny little side acts by the cleanup crews following the horse units.

The boardwalk between Santa Monica and Venice Beach is a great morning walk. Breakfast joint right off the boardwalk at Venice Beach.

Nice evening walk is the Carlsbad boardwalk.

A couple times that I went to the Rose Bowl, I coupled that with attending the Holiday Bowl a few days earlier, and touring around San Diego. Do it if you can swing it.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Some suggestions from my past trips to the Rose Bowl. (I like to walk, as you will see.)

Stay at the Marriot in Pasadena. Walk everywhere from there, including to the game and the parade. It is expensive, but you will never regret it. After you return from the game, you'll find a complimentary rag in your room to wipe down your shoes. Not a joke. A great breakfast about 2 blocks away, and all the Pasadena restaurants and shops easily accessible. Just 2 or 3 blocks from Colorado Avenue.

A really fine art museum in Pasadena up near where the parade starts. If you visit there a few days before the parade, you can see some of the parade set up and media rehearsals while you stop and rest outside the art museum entrance.

Grandstand seats for the parade are highly recommended to guarantee a clear view for you and your companions. Well worth it and includes a really nifty parade program/magazine. And, when the two bands come through, the place is electric.

This is a parade full of horses, for those who enjoy that.....and some funny little side acts by the cleanup crews following the horse units.

The boardwalk between Santa Monica and Venice Beach is a great morning walk. Breakfast joint right off the boardwalk at Venice Beach.

Nice evening walk is the Carlsbad boardwalk.

A couple times that I went to the Rose Bowl, I coupled that with attending the Holiday Bowl a few days earlier, and touring around San Diego. Do it if you can swing it.
Thanks Marbles. Can you specify which Marriott exactly?

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
First, thanks @djm_psu_alum

Tickets are -$200 right notes but will come down. PSU and Utah fans are buying them up but they’ll go down next week, probably. I am setting flights -$600 from Cleveland

Last edited:
For things to do, I note that both the Kings and the Ducks are home and play at home either the 30th or 31st if looking for other sports type goings on. Last time I went to the Rose Bowl I took in a Ducks game.

Reactions: john4psu
any ticket advice? 300 is cheapest I have seen. stadium advice?

much appreciated.
Give it a little time. You shouldn't have a problem. Each district in Pasadena does a lottery for game and parade tickets. We got ours through the resident sale but entered the lottery for both. If we get them, I'll have a few to sell.

First, thanks @djm_psu_alum

Tickets are -$200 right notes but will come down. PSU and Utah fans are buying them up but they’ll go down next week, probably. I am setting flights -$600 from Cleveland

How low do you think they will go? Under $100?

• Parking:
  • Parade:
  • Stuff to do:
You said that the day after the parade all the floats are at a local high school and you can walk around and see them up close. Is there any entrance fee? Are all the floats there and are they being dismantled? How crowded does it get?

Would be interesting to see them up close to see the details and how they were engineered.

You said that the day after the parade all the floats are at a local high school and you can walk around and see them up close. Is there any entrance fee? Are all the floats there and are they being dismantled? How crowded does it get?

Would be interesting to see them up close to see the details and how they were engineered.
Yes, that is correct. They are at Sierra Made Blvd & Washington Blvd near the Pasadena HS. There is an entry fee. They aren't dismantled until after this showcase.

here is the info: https://tickets.sharpseating.com/p/tickets11/events/floatfest-a-rose-parade-showcase

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT