ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board - # of matches to earn spot

Eastern HWT

Jan 3, 2015
Doesn't a wrestler have to wrestle a minimum of 17 matches to earn a spot for the Big Ten at his weight for Nationals?

With this schedule I see a maximum of 18-19 matches per wrestler if they wrestle every dual and each team brings two guys to Army.

Not sure about minimum matches but there is a “decent” for weigh ins and how much weight you can cut between weigh ins per your certified weight.

Doesn't a wrestler have to wrestle a minimum of 17 matches to earn a spot for the Big Ten at his weight for Nationals?

With this schedule I see a maximum of 18-19 matches per wrestler if they wrestle every dual and each team brings two guys to Army.
17 matches to get an RPI, one of the criteria for earning the B1G an auto bid. Not a big deal for most of our guys, because they'll finish B1Gs in an AQ spot.

Probably only matters for Teske. Maybe Verk if B10 is shallow at 149 and gets fewer slots.

And the team has one remaining competition date available - meaning that anyone who needs more matches can go to an Open.

We better qualify at least 5 guys or our 5 in the finals streak will be at risk.

17 matches to get an RPI, one of the criteria for earning the B1G an auto bid. Not a big deal for most of our guys, because they'll finish B1Gs in an AQ spot.

And 8 matches to get a coaches ranking, I believe. Some rehabbing guys each year have no shot at 17, which is when the discussion turns to getting 8. IIRC (too lazy to find and post a link to a reference at the moment).

Reactions: andegre
Not sure about minimum matches but there is a “decent” for weigh ins and how much weight you can cut between weigh ins per your certified weight.
Sorta. It’s basically time based, so number of weigh ins doesn’t really matter. When the wrestler gets a weight cert in October or November, the minimum weight for March is set. If he doesn’t weigh in again until March....he can be the March weight at that one moment.

Of course he isn’t wrestling much without a weigh in. Lol.

Reactions: andegre
Eight (8) bouts in the weight class a wrestler is going post-season is the magic number. Silver Standard is the goal in earning the conference a spot, which means meeting 2 of 3 criteria. Note: Gold Standard means meeting all 3, but only Silver Standard is needed.

RPI requires 17 bouts
Coaches Ranking requires 5 bouts
Win % requires 8 bouts

A wrestler can be Silver Standard, and only wrestle 8 bouts, meeting the CR & Win % criteria.

Its a prevailing scale...missing a weigh in doesn't count against you...however if you were to weigh in heavy (no weight allowance in college) it will affect when and if you can hit your weight class. In addition there is a cut off to when you can hit a required weight class and "Lock it In", but these are just semantics for D1 wrestlers...

Sorta. It’s basically time based, so number of weigh ins doesn’t really matter. When the wrestler gets a weight cert in October or November, the minimum weight for March is set. If he doesn’t weigh in again until March....he can be the March weight at that one moment.

Of course he isn’t wrestling much without a weigh in. Lol.

Eight (8) bouts in the weight class a wrestler is going post-season is the magic number. Silver Standard is the goal in earning the conference a spot, which means meeting 2 of 3 criteria. Note: Gold Standard means meeting all 3, but only Silver Standard is needed.

RPI requires 17 bouts
Coaches Ranking requires 5 bouts
Win % requires 8 bouts

A wrestler can be Silver Standard, and only wrestle 8 bouts, meeting the CR & Win % criteria.

Thought I read somewhere that the RPI was reduced to 15 this year. If I find it, I’ll source it...

Thought I read somewhere that the RPI was reduced to 15 this year. If I find it, I’ll source it...
It is a recommendation, not yet voted on, to my knowledge. The rationale is that 17 bouts are hard for teams that wrestle mostly a dual meet schedule. The Ivy League was mentioned specifically.

If it's approved, it will show up in the 2019-20 Pre-Championship Handbook, though it will be announced sooner than that.

Also under consideration is language that may allow more duals for teams, without changing the "16 competition dates" language.

Last edited:
Reactions: pish69
Its a prevailing scale...missing a weigh in doesn't count against you...however if you were to weigh in heavy (no weight allowance in college) it will affect when and if you can hit your weight class. In addition there is a cut off to when you can hit a required weight class and "Lock it In", but these are just semantics for D1 wrestlers...
There is no longer a "cut off". Was February 15, but that rule went away starting with the 2017-18 season.

ADVERTISEMENT