ADVERTISEMENT

Question for physiologists or related discipline!

emrtmakesshiteup

Oct 17, 2012
Although I am an old guy, I lift every fourth day, occasionally third day. I have marveled at the following phenomenon my entire life. Regardless how I feel, or how I slept or whatever, as long as I write down my reps (always do), I can increase one more rep (same reps to failure for all sets too, another interesting thing) next time out. The less than ½% that it might vary is even usually that I can increase more than one rep. So my question is, am I really one rep stronger or is the mind that overpowering? Thank you!

Reactions: step.eng69
giphy.gif

Although I am an old guy, I lift every fourth day, occasionally third day. I have marveled at the following phenomenon my entire life. Regardless how I feel, or how I slept or whatever, as long as I write down my reps (always do), I can increase one more rep (same reps to failure for all sets too, another interesting thing) next time out. The less than ½% that it might vary is even usually that I can increase more than one rep. So my question is, am I really one rep stronger or is the mind that overpowering? Thank you!

Suggest you consult a psychiatrist.

Reactions: step.eng69
Sorry, I just don't know what to say. ..Good luck sibling?

So if I am reading this correctly, at the end of the year you will be doing somewhere between 50-100 more reps than you could at the beginning of the year? But only if you write it down. Here's an experiment, try writing down 4645 reps tomorrow, and then see if you can do 4646 in 4 days. Report back please.

So if I am reading this correctly, at the end of the year you will be doing somewhere between 50-100 more reps than you could at the beginning of the year? But only if you write it down. Here's an experiment, try writing down 4645 reps tomorrow, and then see if you can do 4646 in 4 days. Report back please.

According to Carl Nassib you should be lifting double the weight 7 years from now

I’m sorry, I can’t help thinking I’m missing something here. Do you try to crank out one more rep every time? If that’s the case, wouldn’t this mean you’d go from, say, ten reps to seventeen or so in a month? All that means is that you’re pushing too light. I’m sure I’m not getting it.

Do you do multiple sets of the same lift, each to failure? If so, I have a really hard time believing what I think you’re saying. I do three or four sets of each lift and when I decide to increase my reps, I can only increase the reps on the first or, at best, the second set: it takes a while for me to incorporate the increase into each set.

If you are an old guy, and you've been doing this all your life the numbers of reps should be in the thousands, right?

Reactions: psu7113
This happens to me with cans of beer. Let me know what you find out.

I’m sorry, I can’t help thinking I’m missing something here. Do you try to crank out one more rep every time? If that’s the case, wouldn’t this mean you’d go from, say, ten reps to seventeen or so in a month? All that means is that you’re pushing too light. I’m sure I’m not getting it.

Do you do multiple sets of the same lift, each to failure? If so, I have a really hard time believing what I think you’re saying. I do three or four sets of each lift and when I decide to increase my reps, I can only increase the reps on the first or, at best, the second set: it takes a while for me to incorporate the increase into each set.
Firstly, it amazes me that 80% of replies to 80% (may be an exaggeration) of threads here are from not so budding comedians. Anyway, two sets (90 to 120 seconds between sets) of 11 reps (can not do that 12th rep) of dumbell curls at 30#. Four days later I can do the 12. I would then increase weight (normally 5#) for the next lift day and normally only be able to do around eight reps as the cycle starts all over. Question is, is a person much stronger or is it more of a mental thing?

Question is, is a person much stronger or is it more of a mental thing?
Okay, I understand now. Without pretending to be an expert on this, I’ll say it’s a combination of things. You’re stronger, you’re using better technique, you’re more confident and less scared, overall it’s just that you're getting better at it.

Go google Dan John, he has a lot of stuff on the mental part of lifting. One thing he’s said which really makes sense is that you should try to do things you suck at instead of things you’re good at. You’ll get stronger faster that way.

Firstly, it amazes me that 80% of replies to 80% (may be an exaggeration) of threads here are from not so budding comedians. Anyway, two sets (90 to 120 seconds between sets) of 11 reps (can not do that 12th rep) of dumbell curls at 30#. Four days later I can do the 12. I would then increase weight (normally 5#) for the next lift day and normally only be able to do around eight reps as the cycle starts all over. Question is, is a person much stronger or is it more of a mental thing?
You've been doing this all your life and you're curling 30 pounds?

Your question is weird and you're getting smart ass answers because it is weird. But here's what's going on: you are getting some gains va nuerological adaption and eventually will get some via hypertrophy. Then things will stop since you're old and you lack the necessary testosterone to make much greater long term gains. When this will happen I do not know.

Okay, I understand now. Without pretending to be an expert on this, I’ll say it’s a combination of things. You’re stronger, you’re using better technique, you’re more confident and less scared, overall it’s just that you're getting better at it.

Go google Dan John, he has a lot of stuff on the mental part of lifting. One thing he’s said which really makes sense is that you should try to do things you suck at instead of things you’re good at. You’ll get stronger faster that way.

It's newbie gains, nothing else. Mental isn't an issue at this point.

It's just newbie gains, this is not the point where psychology matters in training.

ADVERTISEMENT