ADVERTISEMENT

Question about the readiness of your roster

BCfanatic2020

Oct 25, 2020
Purdue brings back just about the same team that faced Tennessee in the music city bowl.

Penn state recruits more talent. That is obvious. When I look at whether Purdue can beat a team that does so, early on, and Purdue has a team that basically left the field at the end of the music city bowl. I’m wondering.. who do you have that is more talented than the average Purdue player and ALSO a finished product. By that I mean ready to play their position fluidly in week 1?

of those not coming off of long injury, my understanding is that this is true of

Weak side linebacker
Secondary
QB
Parker Washington
Mitchell tinsley

that’s what I got out of watching all of the BWI position previews and then reading here. But you guys may have premium access and there may be more players where it’s like “okay, sure Olu Fashanu only has around 200 snaps, but we are hearing that he’s basically as fluid as a senior.”

so I wanted to come ask.

I’m less worried about players you have where, sure, is your MLB going to be a better player one day than our sixth year senior Kieran Douglas? Sure. Is he susceptible to blowing a coverage as a newbie? Also sure.

im less worried about five star backs in their first game? You know why? Because pass blocking is something any back can completely blow in their first game.

so I’m really curious … am I missing anyone from the list above?

Wallace and Scruggs have 2 years experience. I'd say you can add them.

DT group as well. That's a solid group w/o PJ based on your criteria.

TEs are very experienced, but none have shown to be on the level of the 2 who came before them.

Lee at RB is another 2 year starter. He just isn't a burner.

KLS probably is as experienced as any WR you guys have.

Even Johnathan Sutherland is a 6 year guy that's played some, just never a true starter.

Wallace and Scruggs have 2 years experience. I'd say you can add them.

DT group as well. That's a solid group w/o PJ based on your criteria.

TEs are very experienced, but none have shown to be on the level of the 2 who came before them.

Lee at RB is another 2 year starter. He just isn't a burner.

KLS probably is as experienced as any WR you guys have.

Even Johnathan Sutherland is a 6 year guy that's played some, just never a true starter.
I’m looking for guys who aren’t returning from Injury but are better than Purdue talent.

Scruggs is moving to a new position. Has camp coverage said he’s fluid as though he’s played center his whole life?

BWI didn’t give a glowing review of Wallace. They said the whole OL may get better as the year goes on. Are you hearing they the transformation has already happened?

the BWI position group previews made it sound like the guys who played for Isaac, mustipher and izzard were a liability last year.

And that TE will be a work in progress. Your QB didn’t throw to TEs over the middle according to the preview.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m going by the previews 3 weeks ago and asking if reviews have changed

I've read some of your posts and didn't respond because you seem to over rate bringing back your "whole team" versus the fact that the Purdue roster is made up mainly of low 3 star players.

Purdue had a nice season last year, and for your fan base had some signature wins. Those wins would not be considered "signature" to the PSU fan base. Wisky beat Purdue up pretty bad, and PSU before the key injuries beat Wisky at their place. And even during the PSU slide last season, most of the losses were close. By 9 to OSU (away game) who put up 59 on Purdue, and by 4 to Michigan.

But on to your question. You do realize that the players that PSU lost to the NFL (8? of them) for the most part sat out the bowl game, so the next in line players played for PSU in the bowl game which means that basically the whole team that played in the bowl game for PSU also returns.

This might sound sarcastic to you, but I believe almost every PSU player that will take the field for PSU to start the season is more talented than the average Purdue player, other than your QB. And Clifford, the PSU QB, already has led his B10 team to an 11 win season. Has any player on Purdue played on a team that won 11 games playing in the B10 East?

Probably at least 6 other new incoming PSU players are more talented than the top Purdue players, let along the average Purdue player. True freshmen Singleton (5star, #1 rate RB in country), Dennis-Sutton (5 star DE), Saunders (high 4 star WR, but likely won't get much early playing time due to the returning PSU WR talent), Allen ( high 4 star RB), Durant (DT) are all players with more talent than possibly any player on Purdue's roster. There are probably 6-8 other true freshmen, true 4 star talent, that are players that will develop into high level starters but likely won't contribute much versus Purdue this season other than possibly on special teams.

The three incoming PSU transfers all seem to be talent beyond what Purdue has anywhere on their roster. Tinsley at WR, Robinson at DE, and Nourzad at Guard would likely start and make an impact for any B10 team short of OSU and MSU, and they will be big contributors for PSU right from the start of the season although Nouzad and Robinson won't likely be starters.

And returning players Porter (CB), King (CB), Dixon (CB), Brown (S), Jacobs (LB), Isaac (DE), Tarburton (DE), Mustipher (DT), Izzard (DT), Beamon (DT) on defense, and on offense Lee (RB), Washington (WR), Lambert-Smith (WR), Strange (TE), Johnson (TE), Tengwell (G), Fashanu (OT), Scruggs (C), are all players that I believe are more talented than what Purdue can put on the field.

Additionally, PSU has some very talented 2nd year players that won't start but could see the field and impact this game, and are players that will likely prove to be more talented than the average Purdue starter. Buddin and King at LB, Reed and Wheatley at Safety, van den Berg (DT), Wallace and Meiga at WR, Warren (TE), Veilleux (QB).

Franklin beat out top teams in the recruiting battles for about 75% of the current PSU roster. Sorry for the long list, but you asked.......

Not saying the game won't be competitive. A very good QB can make an offense potent. And the crowd and turnovers can lead to big wins. But I believe the PSU roster may have over 4 times the NFL players that the Purdue roster has.

JMO.

Last edited:
The edge rushers have experience... depth some will rotate from Edge to DT and Back.

QB has a little experience... lol.
The QB was in my list. Reviews of tarburton hwre have said more run stopper than pass rusher. So he may have experience but is he significantly better than say Kydran Jenkins (Purdue lost karlaftis at his spot). Your good DTs and Isaac have been out for quite some time. Are you hearing they are 100% and ready to take names ??

I've read some of your posts and didn't respond because you seem to over rate bringing back your "whole team".

Purdue had a nice season last year, and for your fan base had some signature wins. Those wins would not be considered "signature" to the PSU fan base. Wisky beat Purdue up pretty bad, and PSU before the key injuries beat Wisky at their place. And even during the PSU slide last season, most of the losses were close. By 9 to OSU (away game) who put up 59 on Purdue, and by 4 to Michigan.

But on to your question. You do realize that the players that PSU lost to the NFL (8? of them) for the most part sat out the bowl game, so the next in line players played for PSU in the bowl game which means that basically the whole team that played in the bowl game for PSU also returns.

This might sound sarchasitc to you, but I believe almost every PSU player that will take the field for PSU to start the season is more talented than the average Purdue player, other than your QB. And Clifford, the PSU QB, already has led his B10 team to an 11 win season. Has any player on Purdue played on a team that won 11 games playing in the B10 East?

Probably at least 6 or new incoming PSU players are more talented that the top Purdue players, let along the average Purdue player. True freshmen Singleton (5star, #1 rate RB in country), Dennis-Sutton (5 star DE), Saunders (high 4 star WR, but likely won't get much early playing time due to the returning PSU WR talent), Allen ( high 4 star RB), Durant (DT) are all players with more talent than possibly any player on Purdue's roster. There are probably 6-8 other true freshmen, true 4 star talent, that are players that will develop into high level starters but likely won't contribute much versus Purdue this season other than possibly on special teams.

The three incoming PSU transfers all seem to be talent beyond what Purdue has anywhere on their roster. Tinsley at WR, Robinson at DE, and Nourzad at Guard would likely start and make an impact for any B10 team short of OSU and MSU, and they will be big contributors for PSU right from the start of the season although Nouzad and Robinson won't likely be starters.

And returning players Porter (CB), King (CB), Dixon (CB), Brown (S), Jacobs (LB), Isaac (DE), Tarburton (DE), Mustipher (DT), Izzard (DT), Beamon (DT) on defense, and on offense Lee (RB), Washington (WR), Lambert-Smith (WR), Strange (TE), Johnson (TE), Tengwell (G), Fashanu (OT), Scruggs (C), are all players that I believe are more talented than what Purdue can put on the field.

Additionally, PSU has some very talented 2nd year players that won't start but could see the field and impact this game, and are players that will likely prove to be more talented than the average Purdue starter. Buddin and King at LB, Reed and Wheatley at Safety, van den Berg (DT), Wallace and Meiga at WR, Warren (TE), Veilleux (QB).

Franklin beat out top teams in the recruiting battles for about 75% of the current PSU roster. Sorry for the long list, but you asked.......

Not saying the game won't be competitive. A very good QB can make an offense potent. And the crowd and turnovers can lead to big wins. But I believe the PSU roster may have over 4 times the NFL players that the Purdue roster has.

JMO.
Fan boy post lol. Sound like a guy who thinks you’re showing up to play the 2019 team.

I don’t overrate bringing back the whole team. It’s a thing. Just like talent is a thing.

I guess I should have specified. Purdue lost karlaftis, bell and Wright for the bowl game. But The Who played for bell and Wright had been playing all year.

so In the bowl game, there was one position where the guy playing didn’t have significant experience. It wasn’t “hey 9 guys left and 9 guys played one game.”

ive gone from predicting a penn state win to a push back to a penn state win… elitist prick. To hear you tell it you guys didn’t lose to sorry ass Illinois and Pat Fitzgerald never won the west. I mean, look at his rankings.

pray that 85 limit goes away. The days of more innovative coaches losing to teams that just rotate 3 guys at each position all game are coming to an end my friend.

Fan boy post lol. Sound like a guy who thinks you’re showing up to play the 2019 team.

I don’t overrate bringing back the whole team. It’s a thing. Just like talent is a thing.

I guess I should have specified. Purdue lost karlaftis, bell and Wright for the bowl game. But The Who played for bell and Wright had been playing all year.

so In the bowl game, there was one position where the guy playing didn’t have significant experience. It wasn’t “hey 9 guys left and 9 guys played one game.”

ive gone from predicting a penn state win to a push back to a penn state win… elitist prick. To hear you tell it you guys didn’t lose to sorry ass Illinois and Pat Fitzgerald never won the west. I mean, look at his rankings.

pray that 85 limit goes away. The days of more innovative coaches losing to teams that just rotate 3 guys at each position all game are coming to an end my friend.
Yeah, that idiotic "only lost to Michigan by 4" BS kind of gives it away. Doesn't mention that MI had the ball at the PSU 7 with 2 minutes left in the game and took knees. That game was over as soon as that last MI touchdown.

The QB was in my list. Reviews of tarburton hwre have said more run stopper than pass rusher. So he may have experience but is he significantly better than say Kydran Jenkins (Purdue lost karlaftis at his spot). Your good DTs and Isaac have been out for quite some time. Are you hearing they are 100% and ready to take names ??
Why do you come here and ask questions acting like you really want information when your intent is to be a a provocateur.

I have news for you. YOU are not smart enough to be a provocateur.

Btw Purdue is not Stanford just like U of M is not the Harvard of the Midwest. In fact, U of M is the Harvard of pure BS.... and Purdon't and the rest of the lackey programs in B1wtfeii .... have laid down for them quietly for forever.

• Sad
Reactions: PSU&Trout

And your posts look like fan boy posts to anyone that follows recruiting and knows the potential of the PSU roster. Since the title of this thread that you started on another team's site is "Question about the readiness of your roster", I'll attempt to inform you about the talent and readiness of the current PSU roster. Even if it offends you when comparing it to UP's roster.........

A quick look and comparison of PSU vs UP recruiting over the 4 years of 2019 to 2022 shows that PSU recruited 50 4+ star players, 47 4-star players and 3 5-star players. UP has gotten 12 total 4 star players with only 2 above a .93 composite 247 rating (one is Bell who is gone and the other is Karlaftis who is also gone). Both of those high 4 star players were leaders on the 9 win UP 2021 team and there seems to be no high end talent to replace those 2 team leaders. And the UP roster is littered with low 3 star players with some 2 and no star players. Some of the highly recruited PSU players didn't pan out, and some are already in the NFL as well. PSU is not in the OSU model of having so many top recruits falling over each other that lots of top talent transfers even though most starters only spend 3 years there. But the PSU roster has a good number of high 4 star and 5 star talent that will contribute in 2022.

Bigger and faster players usually beat smaller and slower players. And that's what the game will be about unless turnover battle or injuries have a disproportionate impact.

Your posts sound like the logic that we used to get here when PSU played Pitt. "Recruiting bigger faster players is over rated, and our coaches coach up our players to the same level or better as the better former high school players on PSU's team"

Yep, the players that replaced the NFL players that opted out for PSU's bowl game also got experience. Some hadn't played much such as the OL players Tengwell (top recruit) and Fashanu, and that game experience was pretty critical in their development and confidence going into this coming season.

No, we here all realize that the 2022 is not the 2019 UP team. The 2019 game was not competitive with PSU outgaining UP 400+ to around 100 yards. We all expect a more competitive game. I'm looking for a 10 point PSU win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and blmr31
Yeah, that idiotic "only lost to Michigan by 4" BS kind of gives it away. Doesn't mention that MI had the ball at the PSU 7 with 2 minutes left in the game and took knees. That game was over as soon as that last MI touchdown.
Yep, also didn't mention that PSU was ahead in the Michigan game until a blown secondary coverage gave UM a gift TD to take the lead in the 4th quarter.

How'd UP do against OSU, given that they didn't play Michigan? I must have missed UP having the lead against OSU in the 4th quarter..... or any other time. That game was over at the half (45-17), even though UP had Bell and Karlaftis, both of whom are now in the NFL. Feel free to tell us who on the current UP roster will be UP's high NFL draft choices next year, i.e. with the talent to replace Bell and Karloftis as team leaders in 2022?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I've read some of your posts and didn't respond because you seem to over rate bringing back your "whole team".

This might sound sarchasitc to you, but I believe almost every PSU player that will take the field for PSU to start the season is more talented than the average Purdue player, other than your QB. And Clifford, the PSU QB, already has led his B10 team to an 11 win season. Has any player on Purdue played on a team that won 11 games playing in the B10 East?

Probably at least 6 or new incoming PSU players are more talented that the top Purdue players, let along the average Purdue player. True freshmen Singleton (5star, #1 rate RB in country), Dennis-Sutton (5 star DE), Saunders (high 4 star WR, but likely won't get much early playing time due to the returning PSU WR talent), Allen ( high 4 star RB), Durant (DT) are all players with more talent than possibly any player on Purdue's roster. There are probably 6-8 other true freshmen, true 4 star talent, that are players that will develop into high level starters but likely won't contribute much versus Purdue this season other than possibly on special teams.

JMO.
"those wins would not be considered signature wins by the PSU fan base" ?? This from a fan whose team couldn't beat dreadful Illinois at home. PSU fans are not looking for "signature" wins they are looking for wins - over anybody.

Why do you come here and ask questions acting like you really want information when your intent is to be a a provocateur.

I have news for you. YOU are not smart enough to be a provocateur.

Btw Purdue is not Stanford just like U of M is not the Harvard of the Midwest. In fact, U of M is the Harvard of pure BS.... and Purdon't and the rest of the lackey programs in B1wtfeii .... have laid down for them quietly for forever.
BC fanatic one thing u learn by posting on the BW board is sooner or later it turns nasty. Sooner usually

"those wins would not be considered signature wins by the PSU fan base" ?? This from a fan whose team couldn't beat dreadful Illinois at home. PSU fans are not looking for "signature" wins they are looking for wins - over anybody.
That's not what this PSU fan is looking for. Franklin has assembled a very good roster with better depth than he has ever had at PSU. A 9 win season is likely, but it's not like a 9 win season will be looked at like a great season by PSU fans. Like it was for UP last season.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Scruggs is probably going to be a better C than G, if not for the fact Miranda was a liability at times and Scruggs should play better beside Tengwall and the RG winner vs Miranda whiffing on one side and Wallace unable to hold off a speed rush or get back across his face on stunts.

And the only DT we have returning from injury is PJ. Izzard, Ellies were the primary second string until they both tool turns filling in for PJ.

You mention Tarburton along with your guy Jenkins. Is he supposed to be Karlaftis V2? First time I've really noticed you pushed him.

Our pass rushers this year were hurt or not on the roster most likely outside of Smith Vilbert. I'm not willing to take a 3 sack bowl game performance as a whole lot, but you do seem to draw quite a bit from your alls.

Our roster isn't managed quite like yours. Usually for the worse, we don't end up with many 4th and 5th year guys. We rely on guys producing in year 2 or 3 and transfers of late. Just different styles.

Reactions: bison13
I don’t think there’s anybody on here that assumes Penn State will blow out Purdue so I don’t know why You get so uppity about some of the comments.
Offensively both teams are much better at throwing the ball than running it. Defensively both team strengths would appear to be in their secondary.
Your offensive line is probably better and more cohesive than Penn State‘s but the receivers and tight ends we have should be much more explosive. Neither running game was able to do much last year but Penn State has more options that are capable of getting the job done.
I’ll take our defensive line over yours no matter the experience that they have and I think that Jacobs is the best linebacker on the field for either team. the depth of Penn states secondary being able to throw out third and fourth corners and safeties who are better than yours makes me feel positive about that group.
As with any season opening game the home team has a definite advantage and breaking in new special teams guys for us will play a huge role in the outcome of the game.

That's not what this PSU fan is looking for. Franklin has assembled a very good roster with better depth than he has ever had at PSU. A 9 win season is likely, but it's not like a 9 win season will be looked at like a great season by PSU fans. Like it was for UP last season.
I get what u are saying, I do, but it just sounds so arrogant from a fan of a team that is presently 11-11 and whose signature wins are mostly in the last century.
I hope u are right on your 9 win prediction. I would be most pleased;)

Reactions: GregInPitt

You mean the sorry ass Illinois team that Purdue overpowered 13-9?

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
That is about where we stand right now. The PSU ship needs to be righted this year. The talent is there. Talking time will soon be over. All of us desire to see many more W's than L's on the PSU ledger this year. I am not expecting a B1G title from this team, but 9-3, even 10-2 should be obtainable given the talent.

whose signature wins are mostly in the last century.

With all due respect, the way wins are judged for PSU and Purdue vary greatly. Purdue beating a then #2 ranked Iowa seemed like a signature win, but by seasons end, was Iowa really all that much better? They definitely weren't #2 in the country.

We went into Wisconsin and won. We hosted Auburn and won. Had we lost those games, it's the end of the world. Yet when we win them, zero credit is given.

Same way with Purdue in 10 days. If we win, we were supposed to and all the chatter about returning starters is forgotten. If we lose, JF sucks and can't coach. The only thing we can do and it be right is win 49-7.

Then somebody will say "OSU scored 45 by halftime..."

Penn state is better at every position including QB and will make it 10 in a row vrs this lower level team.

Drew Brees couldn’t beat PSU and Joepa in three tries. PSU is more talented now than the 2002 team that Joe struggled with on Brees last attempt. Any given game can go either way, but based on speed and talent, I like our chances. As vilified as Sean has been, I think he will deliver as he was picking Iowa apart in away game until he got hurt. His luck is bound to change.

Penn state is better at every position including QB and will make it 10 in a row vrs this lower level team.
Oh brother. That is a little too much hubris. Show some respect for the other team. Perdue has very good players and coaching staff that will have their team ready to play well. I want PSU to win but your statement doesn't show much class. Are you trolling?

Last edited:
Oh brother. That is a little too much hubris. Show a sone respect for the other team. Perdue has a very good players and coaching staff that will have their team ready to play well. I want PSU to win but your statement doesn't show much class. Are you trolling?
Yet the thread was started by a Purdue fan looking for validation that their team of sixth year guys are so much better and our posters are supposed to show respect? Really?

Respect goes both ways.
It became a "tit for tat" toward the end of this thread and he obviously became frustrated. We shouldn't pile on. Looking forward to a competitive game and for a PSU win. I want PSU to start strong. We have tickets for the PSU vs Northwrstern game in Happy Valley.

Wow, the guy doing this "analysis" has as much respect for having a roster full of 4 star talent versus the 9 wins UP got last year relying on their two stars that are now gone as the OP !!!!!!!!!

Put it on all the UP lockers, "nobody believes in you guys!". Well, all the UP fans that have migrated here sure believe in them...... so much so that they believe last years wins and PSU's last two poor seasons (by PSU standards) transfer over to this season...... Both teams are now 0-0.

UP lost their difference makers (Bell and Karlaftis) from their 9 win season which is likely the reason that Vegas odds makers put the over under win total for UP this season at 7.5. PSU over under at 8.5, even with a considerably tougher schedule. Go figure.........

Last edited:

You're a fraud of a troll. Purdue is about to lose their 10th in a row to Penn State - dumb-ass!

Thanks God the teams get to settle it on the field. Coming to another teams board and stating how great your team is and then asking why you have a chance at beating them and them getting mad when people do is just stupid. Will Purdue win - maybe but I doubt it but they could and we will find out soon enough - no need to get your panty in a bunch becuase the other teams fans don't agree with your position.

Thanks God the teams get to settle it on the field. Coming to another teams board and stating how great your team is and then asking why you have a chance at beating them and them getting mad when people do is just stupid. Will Purdue win - maybe but I doubt it but they could and we will find out soon enough - no need to get your panty in a bunch becuase the other teams fans don't agree with your position.

I enjoyed conversation with the guy, but he did me that way to start with. Then a bunch of strangely worded questions. Essentially, trying to figure out in what way he could determine an advantage.

Bwahaha…fan boy post indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT