ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting QB Marcus Stokes flips commitment to Florida

Dylan, any speculation as to who the QB targets will be for PSU to get a QB in the 2022 class?

With 3 young QB's on board, if the 3 youngsters all look promising in Fall practice it might not be the end of the world if the 2023 class didn't include a QB. Staff could bring in a transfer if any of the young guys decide to transfer, and could then go after 2 for 2024. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Kid did well to raise his stock getting invited to the E11, but clearly didn't do much while there.

Where do we go now? Back to Kohl?

Never take a "commitment" from a Florida kid too seriously. If one of the state's Big Three offer, they're often gone. In this case, given the kid was ranked 18th out of 20 Elite 11 QB's, ya have to wonder how much of a loss it is.
Pretty much true for any kid from the south or far west. Hell, anywhere anymore.

Reactions: JerseyRon
So Stokes flips. Treyaun Webb commits to Florida although we were supposedly the heavy favorite. And Seldon goes Tennessee.

SEC punched us in the mouth today. It happens.

Jason Moore announces on Sunday. Looks to be all Buckeyes there. When does Derrick LeBlanc announce?

FL newspaper articles have been critical of the new Florida Coach Napier, and how he has lost the fan base before coaching his first game. This has to be all about $$$.
He ran off a bunch of kids from Lakeland, which is big time Gator recruiting country. And they saw some big recruits go elsewhere. I'm guessing their staff got the message and began digging deep on the trail.

It's always hard for us to get the elite kids from FL that end up going Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, etc. We have good luck with solid 4* FL kids, but if UF and Miami get back into the swing of things, it might make recruiting FL harder for us.

Reactions: tomkaren
He ran off a bunch of kids from Lakeland, which is big time Gator recruiting country. And they saw some big recruits go elsewhere. I'm guessing their staff got the message and began digging deep on the trail.

It's always hard for us to get the elite kids from FL that end up going Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, etc. We have good luck with solid 4* FL kids, but if UF and Miami get back into the swing of things, it might make recruiting FL harder for us.
agreed...and we got two really good QB's in the last cycle so it is hard for a kid to come in here and look at riding the pine for several years. CJF has shown that he really counts on veteran QBs. His refusal to bench SC last year when he was hurt would be a rival recruiter's exhibit A.

Dylan, any speculation as to who the QB targets will be for PSU to get a QB in the 2022 class?

With 3 young QB's on board, if the 3 youngsters all look promising in Fall practice it might would not be the end of the world if the 2023 class didn't include a QB. Staff could bring in a transfer if any of the young guys decide to transfer, and could then go after 2 for 2024. Thoughts anyone?

At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, I wasn't overwhelmed by his video. He has a lot of promise, no doubt about it, but I think we have Beau Pribula who has the same skill set.

We will get another QB who will be just as promising, IMO.

I always asked, what are we going to do with him? Now I know. How about developing the QBs we already recruited. If we can't do that, we are not worth s...t

True, but in the transfer portal age, we need to stack talent in each class. And that means getting a quality QB in each class. Doesn't have to be a 5* each time, but for all we know two of our three young QBs may look for more immediate PT if they don't win the starting job after Clifford leaves. It's impossible to tell these days.

Not the biggest loss in the world. We'll still need a QB in this class -- probably won't find one as talented as Stokes, but we'll get somebody. And hope that the class of '22 QBs pan out (which I think they will).

PSU has 3 QBs with freshman eligibility. I'm more worried about LBs.
Yep, no need to take a QB in 2023 as long as the 3 young QB's look good in the Fall and seem to be on board with PSU, Franklin and the OC. Even if one left PSU could go out and get a transfer to come in, or 2 depending on how the walk on QB's look, and then just get 2 in 2024.

But the staff will likely do some hard evaluations on who is available and some players that could show up big in their senior seasons and it's probably over 50% that they find a replacement 2023 class QB before the Feb late signing date.....

So Stokes flips. Treyaun Webb commits to Florida although we were supposedly the heavy favorite. And Seldon goes Tennessee.

SEC punched us in the mouth today. It happens.

Jason Moore announces on Sunday. Looks to be all Buckeyes there. When does Derrick LeBlanc announce?
Supposedly Webb silently committed to Penn State about a week and a half ago, which is why there were a number of CBs to Penn State at the time. Shortly after Webb silently committed, JaJuan Seider posted a picture of himself bragging about his recruiting success.

• Wow
PSU has 3 QBs with freshman eligibility. I'm more worried about LBs.
Nothing matters, period, until Franklin recruits the offensive linemen necessary for a Big Ten championship team. You can make the college football playoffs with 2 average quarterbacks and no marquis receivers if you have a good offensive line...see: Michigan, 2021.

No, I don't give 2 $hits about Stokes.

With 3 young QB's on board, if the 3 youngsters all look promising in Fall practice it might not be the end of the world if the 2023 class didn't include a QB. Staff could bring in a transfer if any of the young guys decide to transfer, and could then go after 2 for 2024. Thoughts anyone?
I believe that to be a reasonable option, and there is no real urgency. —Think he saw the 3 ahead of him were pretty darn good, and went for better odds ( and closer to home). JMO

Reactions: The Spin Meister
This really isn't a big deal. In fact, it might be for the best as it frees up a scholarship for someone that will actually set foot on the field. Stokes is primarily a dual threat QB that can throw, not a pro-style that can run. There is a big distinction there. We need pro-style QBs in the current system, not dual threats. Much like Roberson, Johnson, Bowens and soon to be Pribula, if he were to actually sign, the likelihood of him never seeing the field and transferring is close to 100%.

True, but in the transfer portal age, we need to stack talent in each class. And that means getting a quality QB in each class. Doesn't have to be a 5* each time, but for all we know two of our three young QBs may look for more immediate PT if they don't win the starting job after Clifford leaves. It's impossible to tell these days.

Not the biggest loss in the world. We'll still need a QB in this class -- probably won't find one as talented as Stokes, but we'll get somebody. And hope that the class of '22 QBs pan out (which I think they will).
In the transfer portal age, why does PSU ever need to recruit a QB? There will always be someone looking to transfer, right?

In the transfer portal age, why does PSU ever need to recruit a QB? There will always be someone looking to transfer, right?

In theory, sure. The issue becomes what can you do for me if I do?

You gotta have a great offense. You gotta be winning. You gotta get QBs drafted. Otherwise, you gotta try to land 1 top end guy every 5 years vs having them come in every cycle.

You can't even wait to develop guys either. Because they either 1) leave before they are #1 or 2) seemingly get run off to open up a scholarship.

You have to recruit the best of the best every year and not be afraid to go after a transfer either. Otherwise, you are going to watch Alabama Ohio State and Georgia rotate their way through the title game with Clemson, ND, or an outlier making their once a decade run when the pieces come together and luck favors them.

If you want to rely on QB's that couldn't win the starting position somewhere else that's a good strategy.

But if Franklin and Yurcich believe they are top evaluators of high school QB's they are better off recruiting 1+ QB's in every recruiting class and then have a competition for the starting position at PSU and then likely losing some of the QB's that possibly don't win the starting job when they are Freshman and sophomores transfer if they are not content to wait for another crack at starting later in their PSU career.

I hope Franklin and Yurcich continue to recruit top QB's and let them compete for playing time. There may be a time when due to graduation, injuries, and/or transfers when PSU has to go to the transfer portal for a QB, but for the most part the QB's in the portal have lost the competition to start where they were originally for a reason.

There are not too many Justin Fields type situations going to happen from what I see, where a very top QB goes to a top program when there was already a talented starter ahead of him forcing him to look for another top program where he can step in.

Sure, Caleb Williams left Oklahoma as well, but that was to follow the coach who recruited him and whose system he felt best suited him.

Let the transfers go to Pitt and other 2nd 25 programs.

Because there aren't many kids like Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts in the transfer portal. They're the exceptions rather than the rule. And you're better off developing your talent early on unless you're an elite brand like Bama or OSU who can plug in big-time transfers if needed.

There's no way around the need to recruit elite talent if you're going to compete for CFP berths and championships.

In theory, sure. The issue becomes what can you do for me if I do?

You gotta have a great offense. You gotta be winning. You gotta get QBs drafted. Otherwise, you gotta try to land 1 top end guy every 5 years vs having them come in every cycle.

You can't even wait to develop guys either. Because they either 1) leave before they are #1 or 2) seemingly get run off to open up a scholarship.

You have to recruit the best of the best every year and not be afraid to go after a transfer either. Otherwise, you are going to watch Alabama Ohio State and Georgia rotate their way through the title game with Clemson, ND, or an outlier making their once a decade run when the pieces come together and luck favors them.
So your theory is that because of the portal:
-PSU will always lose quality QBs and therefore must over recruit the position
-And also, the portal does not afford PSU the opportunity to recruit a quality QB when it is a position of need?

Is that accurate?

So your theory is that because of the portal:
-PSU will always lose quality QBs and therefore must over recruit the position
-And also, the portal does not afford PSU the opportunity to recruit a quality QB when it is a position of need?

Is that accurate?

Not quite. I'm sticking with this:

You have to recruit the best of the best every year and not be afraid to go after a transfer either.

Mining the portal for a QB is tough. Unless you guarantee starting, you don't have a shot. It can afford us, or anyone, a QB, but Franklin hasn't pursued many openly.

Also, the attrition speaks for itself.

Stevens, left to start.
Johnson Jr, buried on our depth chart. Transferred to FAU where his dad is OC. 3rd on their depth chart.
Bowens, left pretty quickly. Transferred to Oklahoma. 4th on their depth chart.
Levis, wanted to start. Went to UK. Started. Good year.
Roberson, passed over by CV after Iowa debacle. Vying for starting job at UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT