State of Indiana’s general education appropriation for Purdue West Lafayette:
$300,000,000
for 17,900 in-state students
= $16,700 per in-state student

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania general education appropriation for Penn State:
$241,000,000
for 44,500 in-state students
= $5,400 per in-state student

In 2010, 50% of Purdue West Lafayette was in-state undergrad students. Today, that number is 38%. International student population has tripled.

So the major difference is the PA legislature’s abandonment of higher education. Beyond that, Mitch’s ‘fiscal discipline’ has mostly been a move to reduce access to in-state students while growing revenues from international and out-of-state students.
This is somewhat misleading. In fact I believe this year’s freshman class has the most in state students ever. The % is certainly lower than it used to be but the size of the school is around 10k more on campus students than in 2010. And the biggest raw increase is out of state STEM students more than international.

Just saw that Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years. Good for them.
Meanwhile the amateurs running our university have priced it into mediocrity.
If we can’t hire Mitch Daniels, could he tell us the secret that is lost on us.
ps: Purdue’s ranking has gone way, way up.
29k out of state for Purdue. That sucks

My son's athletic/ academic scholarship made nearly equal the price of PSU at Bucknell realistic (and ca's PSU taking too long to offer)- he loves PSU , especially PSU Football was so close and he could go to all games. My daughter, 1600 SAT's, got Academic Full $ @Honors Schools UF, USC UCLA,UT, UChicago, Fordham. Also admitted to Stanford & Rice (Less$).I have a few PSU connections, and their honor school offers $2k! per year. She just graduated suma cumlade from Fordham. Never anything but A's her whole life (including taking 4 years of Arabic as a language for the, first time at Fordham) PSU giving only $2k for Honors students says they don't want the best students.

My son's athletic/ academic scholarship made nearly equal the price of PSU at Bucknell realistic (and ca's PSU taking too long to offer)- he loves PSU , especially PSU Football was so close and he could go to all games. My daughter, 1600 SAT's, got Academic Full $ @Honors Schools UF, USC UCLA,UT, UChicago, Fordham. Also admitted to Stanford & Rice (Less$).I have a few PSU connections, and their honor school offers $2k! per year. She just graduated suma cumlade from Fordham. Never anything but A's her whole life (including taking 4 years of Arabic as a language for the, first time at Fordham) PSU giving only $2k for Honors students says they don't want the best students.
I recognize that your daughters situation is quite different from most and a 1,600 SAT usually gets a full ride at most schools. However, since you brought up Schreyer let's at least use the correct guaranteed amount which is and has been $5,000/year for 4 years, since 2018. Most Schreyer students also have many other scholarships/grants that are awarded but the $5K/year number is the minimum that they'll receive as a Freshman.

As of this May, I'll have 2 Schreyer graduates in the family and I can assure you that most of the money Penn State gives away comes after Freshmen year to those that have separated themselves.

Considering a 1070 isn't what it use to be 30-40 years ago and kids are way better prepared to take the test and should score, main campus has really slipped wrt to quality of students. You would think with the cost of college these days, kids would be all over going to a state school like PSU, it's still a lot cheaper than a lot of private schools, minimum SATs should be going up.

I guess when the University is more concerned with social justice than insuring their programs are top notch shit like this happens.
1070 today would have been lucky to be 1000 before they twice recentered the scores. AND what’s even worse is that the SAT board raised lower scores more than higher scores.
Pathetic.

State of Indiana’s general education appropriation for Purdue West Lafayette:
$300,000,000
for 17,900 in-state students
= $16,700 per in-state student

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania general education appropriation for Penn State:
$241,000,000
for 44,500 in-state students
= $5,400 per in-state student

In 2010, 50% of Purdue West Lafayette was in-state undergrad students. Today, that number is 38%. International student population has tripled.

So the major difference is the PA legislature’s abandonment of higher education. Beyond that, Mitch’s ‘fiscal discipline’ has mostly been a move to reduce access to in-state students while growing revenues from international and out-of-state students.
Would certainly like to see the state support college education much better. But a big problem that also must be addressed is how we educate tens of thousands per year and then they leave when they graduate. We are subsidizing the education and training for the future workers of other states. Makes no sense to educate people ........and pay for their education.....that leave as soon as they graduate.

The state needs major reforms inntaxatîon, regulation, government structure, the education system itself and more. We need to attract new businesses and help existing ones grow so that college grads have places to work in Pa once they graduate.

Would certainly like to see the state support college education much better. But a big problem that also must be addressed is how we educate tens of thousands per year and then they leave when they graduate. We are subsidizing the education and training for the future workers of other states. Makes no sense to educate people ........and pay for their education.....that leave as soon as they graduate.

The state needs major reforms inntaxatîon, regulation, government structure, the education system itself and more. We need to attract new businesses and help existing ones grow so that college grads have places to work in Pa once they graduate.
We could give them a REAL education for the real world for 1/3rd of what it costs today.

It wouldn't even be difficult.

Reactions: MacNit07
I recognize that your daughters situation is quite different from most and a 1,600 SAT usually gets a full ride at most schools. However, since you brought up Schreyer let's at least use the correct guaranteed amount which is and has been $5,000/year for 4 years, since 2018. Most Schreyer students also have many other scholarships/grants that are awarded but the $5K/year number is the minimum that they'll receive as a Freshman.

As of this May, I'll have 2 Schreyer graduates in the family and I can assure you that most of the money Penn State gives away comes after Freshmen year to those that have separated themselves.
In 2017 the max was $2K

Spin Meister - I rarely agree with your political takes but we are 100% in agreement on this topic. Pennsylvania needs an economic reboot or we will relegated to a farm team for states that know how to productively fuse industry, government and business.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
In 2017 the max was $2K
No it wasn't. My son graduated Schreyer in 2017. Your daughter obviously did great and the $4K that Schreyer offered in 2017 must have seemed like a pittance compared to some other schools. I'm surprised that with a 1600 SAT she didn't have a bunch of other scholarships.

Just stop now.

So what would you propose?
So this is where you and I would normally disagree. Most PA Republicans believe that we can cut our way to competitiveness. Cut corporate income tax rates, cut regulations, cut spending to awful liberal training grounding, i.e. universities. That long-standing approach had put PA in the bottom 5 states in most economic growth metrics.

I would recommend a painful pension reform, an excise tax on natural gas, and a bond to do something like Ohio’s JobsOhio and Third Frontier programs. I would put new tax revenues into programs like PA Ben Franklin. I would invest in Penn State’s job creation programs like the one described below.

ADVERTISEMENT