ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue fiscal discipline

Media Fan

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
Just saw that Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years. Good for them.
Meanwhile the amateurs running our university have priced it into mediocrity.
If we can’t hire Mitch Daniels, could he tell us the secret that is lost on us.
ps: Purdue’s ranking has gone way, way up.

Just saw that Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years. Good for them.
Shame he couldn’t run run for POTUS years ago.

Reactions: indynittany
My son was considering Purdue before he decided on Penn State. The tuition freeze has been a big selling point to prospective students there. We live outside Philly so Purdue out of state tuition was comparable to PSU in state tuition. If we lived in Indiana my son could have gone to Purdue for like 10K/year.

I looked up the university of Louisville academic ranking in USNews and World Report.
You may be delighted to hear it is ranked 577 among global universities!

• Angry
Reactions: psu00
I looked up the university of Louisville academic ranking in USNews and World Report.
You may be delighted to hear it is ranked 577 among global universities!

So the obvious questions:

1. What is PSU ranked?

2. What was Louisville ranked when she started and finished? If they went from ranked 987 to 577 that is good. If they went from 500 to 577 that is not so good.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
from my recollection, Purdue has one of the highest percentages of international students (where they charge a lot of money). So they are essentially increasing their international % to keep tuition $ constant for everyone else.

So, not quite the fiscal control, but a strategy that have decided to adopt.

from my recollection, Purdue has one of the highest percentages of international students (where they charge a lot of money). So they are essentially increasing their international % to keep tuition $ constant for everyone else.

So, not quite the fiscal control, but a strategy that have decided to adopt.
Our leaders are not that clever.

Our leaders are not that clever.
Our leaders were literally called on the carpet by the PA state legislature several years ago for admitting too high a percentage of out of state / international students, and for viewing these admissions as a revenue stream. Hell pretty much every college across the country has been doing the same thing for the last 10-20 years.

Last edited:
So the obvious questions:

1. What is PSU ranked?

2. What was Louisville ranked when she started and finished? If they went from ranked 987 to 577 that is good. If they went from 500 to 577 that is not so good.
CWUR rankings ( I have no idea if this service is any good) showed Louisville ranked 250 or so in 2015 and 450 or so in their latest ranking.
Maybe you can find something better.

Our leaders were literally called on the carpet by the PA state legislature several years ago for admitting too high a percentage of out of state / international students, and for viewing these admissions as a revenue stream. Hell pretty much every college across the country has been doing the same thing for the last 10-20 years.

The same thing happened to some of the PSSHE universities too.

I sat and did the math once, and if you divide up the state's appropriations to PSU by the number of instate students, aka "how much do we get per student on state tuition?" the number is lower than the difference between state and out of state tuition. So it "costs money" to admit an instate student over a out of state one.

I sat and did the math once, and if you divide up the state's appropriations to PSU by the number of instate students, aka "how much do we get per student on state tuition?" the number is lower than the difference between state and out of state tuition. So it "costs money" to admit an instate student over a out of state one.
Please, please tell me that you didn't graduate from Penn State.

Reactions: ralphster
Here is something that is embarrassing. For the first time that I can remember the College Board Organization has Penn State University Park rated as "Less Selective", and at a 76% acceptance rate no less! It wasn't very long ago that we went from "More Selective" to "Selective", with both of these moves happening during Barron's tenure.

Penn State University Park is less selective with an acceptance rate of 76%. Students that get into Penn State University Park have an SAT score between 1070–1310 or an ACT score of 25–30.

Here is something that is embarrassing. For the first time that I can remember the College Board Organization has Penn State University Park rated as "Less Selective", and at a 76% acceptance rate no less! It wasn't very long ago that we went from "More Selective" to "Selective", with both of these moves happening during Barron's tenure.

Penn State University Park is less selective with an acceptance rate of 76%. Students that get into Penn State University Park have an SAT score between 1070–1310 or an ACT score of 25–30.

My daughter is a senior is high school and applied and was accepted at PSU. We know of another girl from her school that also was accepted (she posted the acceptance letter so know it is not a branch campus or she is just lying).. I was shocked to see she was accepted at PSU main campus. She is a good student, but not anywhere close to elite or even exceptional. The type of student that to me would have been a branch campus acceptance only in years past. So I can believe that the 'less selective' acceptance rate is real based on that. I would also say based on the other schools she was accepted at including Delaware, South Carolina, Auburn, FSU, Philadelphia University..all schools that are good schools and akin to PSU in a general sense, PSU is by far the most expensive and not even close. So I think PSU is having to accept lower and lower level students as the amount of people willing to pay for PSU out of state (and even in state in some cases) is just less and less every year. Throw in the draconian masking requirements and virtual classes (there is nothing like these mandates down south and i know a lot of parents who are pushing kids south due to this) and another reason that PSU is struggling to get top students.

My daughter is a senior is high school and applied and was accepted at PSU. We know of another girl from her school that also was accepted (she posted the acceptance letter so know it is not a branch campus or she is just lying).. I was shocked to see she was accepted at PSU main campus. She is a good student, but not anywhere close to elite or even exceptional. The type of student that to me would have been a branch campus acceptance only in years past. So I can believe that the 'less selective' acceptance rate is real based on that. I would also say based on the other schools she was accepted at including Delaware, South Carolina, Auburn, FSU, Philadelphia University..all schools that are good schools and akin to PSU in a general sense, PSU is by far the most expensive and not even close. So I think PSU is having to accept lower and lower level students as the amount of people willing to pay for PSU out of state (and even in state in some cases) is just less and less every year. Throw in the draconian masking requirements and virtual classes (there is nothing like these mandates down south and i know a lot of parents who are pushing kids south due to this) and another reason that PSU is struggling to get top students.
This is happening because these schools need the money to finance in part their worthless social experiments, and pay people to teach indoctrination classes to incoming frosh.

This is happening because these schools need the money to finance in part their worthless social experiments, and pay people to teach indoctrination classes to incoming frosh.
Doesn’t it get tiring to be this hateful all the time? Lighten up buddy.

Disaster. Don’t know how much of this is due to the obsessive desire for diversity.

Considering a 1070 isn't what it use to be 30-40 years ago and kids are way better prepared to take the test and should score, main campus has really slipped wrt to quality of students. You would think with the cost of college these days, kids would be all over going to a state school like PSU, it's still a lot cheaper than a lot of private schools, minimum SATs should be going up.

I guess when the University is more concerned with social justice than insuring their programs are top notch shit like this happens.

Last edited:
The SAT numbers represent the applicants that were accepted/admitted. I like to the SAT numbers for the enrolled students. Bet we'd all get a crying laugh out of that one.
  • Acceptance Rate 76% (Less Selective)
  • Total Applicants 71,903
  • Admitted 35,302
  • Enrolled 8,331

Considering a 1070 isn't what it use to be 30-40 years ago and kids are way better prepared to take the test and should score, main campus has really slipped wrt to quality of students. You would think with the cost of college these days, kids would be all over going to a state school like PSU, it's still a lot cheaper than a lot of private schools, minimum SATs should be going up.

I guess when the University is more concerned with social justice than insuring their programs are top notch shit like this happens.
Out of State, PSU is not more expensive then most private schools actually charge. Out of state, PSU tuition is $47K at last look and PSU gives ZERO financial aid to students. You can get into most private universities for less than $50k per year as even if the sticker price is higher, almost all school give financial aid to get that sticker price down

Reactions: bison13
Out of State, PSU is not more expensive then most private schools actually charge. Out of state, PSU tuition is $47K at last look and PSU gives ZERO financial aid to students. You can get into most private universities for less than $50k per year as even if the sticker price is higher, almost all school give financial aid to get that sticker price down
Not true. You can get merit based financial aid at Penn State. Your choice of a major can make a difference and if you don't get aid as an incoming freshman lots of money becomes available once you prove yourself. Two of my three got a bunch of additional money starting sophomore year and more each subsequent year.

Mine did not qualify for need-based financial aid so I'm not sure what that takes.

No. He should not. Everyone should be contemptuous of our leaders today.
I’d love to see an explanation and evidence from someone like him on what specific “social experiments” are being done on students and what “indoctrination classes” are being taught at Penn State.

Barren is incompetent - pure and simple.

State of Indiana’s general education appropriation for Purdue West Lafayette:
$300,000,000
for 17,900 in-state students
= $16,700 per in-state student

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania general education appropriation for Penn State:
$241,000,000
for 44,500 in-state students
= $5,400 per in-state student

In 2010, 50% of Purdue West Lafayette was in-state undergrad students. Today, that number is 38%. International student population has tripled.

So the major difference is the PA legislature’s abandonment of higher education. Beyond that, Mitch’s ‘fiscal discipline’ has mostly been a move to reduce access to in-state students while growing revenues from international and out-of-state students.

$300,000,000

$241,000,000

In 2010, 50% of Purdue West Lafayette was in-state undergrad students. Today, that number is 38%. International student population has tripled.

So the major difference is the PA legislature’s abandonment of higher education. Beyond that, Mitch’s ‘fiscal discipline’ has mostly been a move to reduce access to in-state students while growing revenues from international and out-of-state students.
All major universities court international students

Reactions: psu2016
Doesn’t it get tiring to be this hateful all the time? Lighten up buddy.
D&I is increasingly out of control at PSU. I have a grandson enrolled in the MATSE program. During Day on Campus they were required to meet with the Department D&I guy...a black staffer...whose main message was "Come to my office...I have candy". Tuition covers this kind of nonsense in virtually every department. We haven't even gotten to hiring on the basis of woke criteria. Hopefully the new prexy will stop the mindless investment in virtue signaling, and return to merit based hiring practices.

$300,000,000

$241,000,000

Check the admin expenses at each school. And this does not include the fact that Purdue’s academic standing is rising and PSU’s is plummeting.

Last edited:
Please, please tell me that you didn't graduate from Penn State.
I did, and amazingly unlike some managed to not be a dismissive jerk when someone posts something that does not fit their little narrative of whatever is today's version of "those bozos who run this place" which seemingly for a sports message board takes up an alarming number of the threads.

It cost money to admit an instate student vs an out of state student? Seriously?

This the Pennsylvania State University we are talking about. It is not a for-profit corporation whose primary responsibility to earn profits for its investors and stockholders. It’s a non-profit whose primary objective it to educate the students of Pennsylvania. And to do so at a reasonable cost which is why it is state founded and state supported.

Certainly admitting out of state and foreign students helps spread the costs. It also leads to a more diverse student body with the inherent advantages that brings. But having a poor ratio of the two obstructs it’s prime directive of educating Pennsylvanians.

Reactions: bison13
I did, and amazingly unlike some managed to not be a dismissive jerk when someone posts something that does not fit their little narrative of whatever is today's version of "those bozos who run this place" which seemingly for a sports message board takes up an alarming number of the threads.
Yet somehow you still come off as a dismissive jerk. Oh, and I'll give you a hint: This is a Penn State message board that is primarily frequented by men where we discuss all topics related to Penn State and other topics that are of interest. Sports is one of those topics.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT