ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue depth chart: Wow! Experienced team...

James Franklin excuses. You need to get them ready after he loses to Purdue.
Your crying is old news. PSU could lose to a good many teams. The PSU roster is getting rebuilt at the direction of Franklin and at this point is superior compared to any B10 team not named oh-high-ya and Michigan, but there are a good many teams that have the playmakers to pull off an upset with the help of a couple close calls and/or PSU turnovers. That's the nature of college football.

This thread is a joke. WOW!!!

Grow up.

Last edited:
Your crying is old news. PSU could lose to a good many teams. The PSU roster is getting rebuilt at the direction of Franklin and at this point is superior compared to any B10 team not named oh-high-ya and Michigan, but there are a good many teams that have the playmakers to pull off an upset with the help of a couple close calls and/or PSU turnovers. That's the nature of college football.

This thread is a joke.

Grow up.
This is what we're up against!:rolleyes:

When we win, you will be here thumping your chest saying "duh, we should have beaten Purdue" and acting like it means nothing while you started the thread stating that we should be underdogs.

All I can say is after that pathetic mess I saw this spring that claimed to be a Blue White Game, and Clifford’s head being more concerned about his paycheck than Penn State football, I hope Purdue is beyond terrible.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Listen Binkie.....I went to my first Penn State Football Game 11/5/66. I'm not an "elite" fanboy like you.
You are the one who is clearly the "pretender" here. I'll stick with PSU win, lose or draw.
Ur a joke. See u September 2nd lol...or not. I think, not...lol

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Funny that if you follow the bluechip ratio, those teams tend to end up ranked or competing for the conference title. Yet, "tons of bias".

Brohm has developed a couple WRs, but 2 of the 3 he's sent to the league were considered blue chip recruits. His 9 players sent to the NFL disputes the claim he "develops talent". Develops them for what? His current claim to fame is his team has upset 3 top 5 teams the week after emotional victories while being double digit underdogs.

Aka, they were overlooked and ill prepared for by their opponent. Kudos to him.

Which season are we to be jealous over again? The 7-6, 6-7, the 4-8, the 2-4? Last year's 9-4 is his best there. Still didn't win the West with Wisconsin being below their mean even with a win vs Iowa.
What was Illinois blue chip ratio last year

Reactions: Delcolion915
5.8%, give or take what their transfers were rated and if they lost any of the 5 they recruited dating back to '17.
So did you pull a Miami in 2003 vs Ohio state and just toss your cleats on the field and beat Illinois last year? Or how did that go?

a friend wants to know

What was Illinois blue chip ratio last year
The blue chip ratio is somewhat nonsensical. It is an exercise in confirmation bias. Nothing more, nothing less. The best team I have seen the last ten years was 2013 Michigan State. That team was head and shoulders better than every Saban coached Bama team with a low blue chip ratio. The blue chip ratio matters for coaches that can't coach or for coaches whose recruits are given 4 and 5 stars by way of a simple offer. Nothing more.

The blue chip ratio is somewhat nonsensical. It is an exercise in confirmation bias. Nothing more, nothing less. The best team I have seen the last ten years was 2013 Michigan State. That team was head and shoulders better than every Saban coached Bama team with a low blue chip ratio. The blue chip ratio matters for coaches that can't coach or for coaches whose recruits are given 4 and 5 stars by way of a simple offer. Nothing more.
If you guys want it I’ll give you the real Purdue summary .. based on what I’m reading about penn state, if Purdue gives C+ answers to a couple key questions and plays well overall I think it’s a game we can win by 4. If everything was the same about Purdue except jack plummer was the QB and Oconnell moved on, we would lose by 10 on a good day

then you give back a summary that’s not homerish in return. Something better than “blue chip ratio bitches”

If blue chip ratio always wins why the loss to Illinois last year?
Never said blue chip ratio always wins. I said the teams above 50% tend to win more than the rest of the below 50% teams and that the playoff has been dominated by teams at 65%+.

then you give back a summary that’s not homerish in return. Something better than “blue chip ratio bitches”

You have a QB similar to us. He's been good, but he's apparently not quite NFL worthy yet (otherwise, he'd have tested April's draft).

The advantage we have: our QB has verified WRs to target. Purdue lost its top 3 from last year from what I've read and your best option is a punt returner from Iowa?

Our pass defense should be our strongest unit. Throw in that the Pry tape might now be worthless and you will likely see some things that are not typical.

I think your running game was as bad as ours last year. If you all can run, you probably give us trouble. If you can't, it's probably going to rest on our offensive efficiency.

Can we run? We haven't done so well since the first series of '20 vs Indiana. In theory, we should improve. 2nd year OC. 3rd year OL coach. 2 freshmen top 10 RBs. Our best returning back is a JR. He has had fumbling problems, but suffered in a time share where we didn't trust him in pass pro and kept waiting for the other RB to return to his '19 self (and he didn’t).

Has the game sold out yet? I figured with a black out on a Thursday night, the fan base would have sold this out quickly.

Never said blue chip ratio always wins. I said the teams above 50% tend to win more than the rest of the below 50% teams and that the playoff has been dominated by teams at 65%+.

You have a QB similar to us. He's been good, but he's apparently not quite NFL worthy yet (otherwise, he'd have tested April's draft).

The advantage we have: our QB has verified WRs to target. Purdue lost its top 3 from last year from what I've read and your best option is a punt returner from Iowa?

Our pass defense should be our strongest unit. Throw in that the Pry tape might now be worthless and you will likely see some things that are not typical.

I think your running game was as bad as ours last year. If you all can run, you probably give us trouble. If you can't, it's probably going to rest on our offensive efficiency.

Can we run? We haven't done so well since the first series of '20 vs Indiana. In theory, we should improve. 2nd year OC. 3rd year OL coach. 2 freshmen top 10 RBs. Our best returning back is a JR. He has had fumbling problems, but suffered in a time share where we didn't trust him in pass pro and kept waiting for the other RB to return to his '19 self (and he didn’t).

Has the game sold out yet? I figured with a black out on a Thursday night, the fan base would have sold this out quickly.

Our best running back is a true freshman, not a junior.

I was looking for a preview on your team.. what to expect. But I asked the guy who isn’t pissing contest guy lol. You sound like a lot of Tennessee fans last December… you lost to Illinois (reflection on what that coaching does with those blue chippers). I’ll start believing we are up against alabama opening night when pigs fly out of my ass.

think fast .. did Oconnell have bell and Wright in the bowl game or did he throw for over 500 yards with a backup outside receiver and two slot receivers, one of whom played outside?

I was looking for a preview on your team.. what to expect. But I asked the guy who isn’t pissing contest guy lol. You sound like a lot of Tennessee fans last December… you lost to Illinois (reflection on what that coaching does with those blue chippers). I’ll start believing we are up against alabama opening night when pigs fly out of my ass.

think fast .. did Oconnell have bell and Wright in the bowl game or did he throw for over 500 yards with a backup outside receiver and two slot receivers, one of whom played outside?

I don’t know what flies in and out of your ass, and I don’t think anyone here wants to hear about it. Also don’t think there is a single PSU fan who would characterize PSU as Alabama. Seeing how Purdue beats PSU about once every ten matchups or so, I would say you are due. If it happens, go easy on the pigs.

I don’t know what flies in and out of your ass, and I don’t think anyone here wants to hear about it. Also don’t think there is a single PSU fan who would characterize PSU as Alabama. Seeing how Purdue beats PSU about once every ten matchups or so, I would say you are due. If it happens, go easy on the pigs.
I’m hoping we can win by 4 late. Hardly thinking we are some favorite

I’m hoping we can win by 4 late. Hardly thinking we are some favorite
Last time I checked, PSU is a 3.5 point favorite. I wouldn’t touch that game even if I had no rooting interest. PSU always seems to start the big ten on the road. This is tough spot for PSU with what has happened the previous two years. Which ever team establishes a running game will come out on top. Good luck.

Reactions: lazydave841
Our best running back is a true freshman, not a junior.
I wrote best RETURNING running back.

I gave you 5 different areas worth of information.

I would ask if there is some specifics you would like to ask, but please, continue on talking about our loss to Illinois and your 500 yards vs Tennessee. Lest we forget Brohms 2 winning seasons in 5 years.

I wrote best RETURNING running back.

I gave you 5 different areas worth of information.

I would ask if there is some specifics you would like to ask, but please, continue on talking about our loss to Illinois and your 500 yards vs Tennessee. Lest we forget Brohms 2 winning seasons in 5 years.
I think the game is a push. If brohm was bringing Bob Diaco and the 2020 boilers I’d say penn state 34 Purdue 7.

I just thought it was stupid to think Oconnell needs bell and Wright to put up yards. If Oconnell played for penn state I’d still think that.

I think the game is a push. If brohm was bringing Bob Diaco and the 2020 boilers I’d say penn state 34 Purdue 7.

I just thought it was stupid to think Oconnell needs bell and Wright to put up yards. If Oconnell played for penn state I’d still think that.

I guess we will see WRT the WRs. It's not a bad analytical point. Tennessee had a terrible secondary last year. Entire defense suffered from the up tempo offense.

If the new ones can produce the same as Bell and Wright, that will be great for you guys. Does it make me an arse for thinking it won't happen? I don't think so.

I think you all will have to be successful running on us to throw for 300+ and win the game. I don't know if we are going to hold up vs the run. New starter at MLB is a big unknown. Our most experienced LB is moving to the box, where he struggled in our bowl. His theoretical replacement is a true tweener, too slow for starting at S and not quite big enough to be a threat at LB without a big leap.

Our best DT is returning from injury so no idea how he factors in. No known returning pass rusher who we can point to as "he should wreak havoc". Secondary should be our strong unit. Hopefully Diaz plays to our strengths.

I guess we will see WRT the WRs. It's not a bad analytical point. Tennessee had a terrible secondary last year. Entire defense suffered from the up tempo offense.

If the new ones can produce the same as Bell and Wright, that will be great for you guys. Does it make me an arse for thinking it won't happen? I don't think so.

I think you all will have to be successful running on us to throw for 300+ and win the game. I don't know if we are going to hold up vs the run. New starter at MLB is a big unknown. Our most experienced LB is moving to the box, where he struggled in our bowl. His theoretical replacement is a true tweener, too slow for starting at S and not quite big enough to be a threat at LB without a big leap.

Our best DT is returning from injury so no idea how he factors in. No known returning pass rusher who we can point to as "he should wreak havoc". Secondary should be our strong unit. Hopefully Diaz plays to our strengths.
He already has guys back who were producing when healthy and when Bell, Wright and Anthrop came out of the game. Thompson didn’t get in a ton but when he did he made plays before Tennessee.

here’s my scouting report on Purdue

Offense -

weaknesses are receiver chemistry with oconnell. Tyrone Tracy had 589 yards with Nathan Stanley in Iowa in 2019 and charlie Jones is a hell of an athlete and played with Oconnell as a kid, but neither have played with Oconnell at Purdue and both struggled playing with Spencer petras and Brian ferentz at Iowa. Jones could take an outside role where right played and Tracy will likely rotate in with sheffield or in double slot situations. Broc Thompson came from Marshall last year and had that big bowl game with two injured shins. If he’s back it will be him in Bell’s spot. He’s a polished receiver who has good technique and is probably faster than bell. A poor man’s David bell at best. Mershawm rice and Abdur yaseen are two big former four stars who each did well in one game last year and then got hurt. Rice has spent most of his career hurt. Watch Preston Terrell, a RS Fr. who I think has all the tools to potentially be Purdue’s best receiver.

Purdue will struggle against teams who can hold coverage well enough to cause breakdowns in communication on key third downs. Oconnell can make any receiver look good.. he was #3 passer rating in America going into the bowls. Look at the plays where he sprung Jackson anthrop for big gainers. Anthrop was not an athlete at this level. He can’t make receivers stay on the same page with him.

Purdue returns experience on the left side of the line in standout center Gus Hartwig, who started as a freshman and is now a junior, LG Spencer Holstege and LT Eric Miller. The question is on the right. Marcus Mbow and Mahamane Moussa are really athletic mature bodies for Rs Fr OL at Purdue, and both played as true freshmen and looked good, but they are inexperienced.. cam Craig would be the most talented lineman but he’s battled some nagging issues, so instead of being a standout RT expect him to be ok there then play. Even with the experience on the left side, it’s been a long time since Purdue started the season getting a push in the run game. In most years that’s taken half if not more than half of the year.

Purdue will struggle against teams that have a dominant 3tech and or SSDE who can cause blocking breakdowns, take advantage of the inexperience on the right side, stonewall the run (the whole DL) and get pressure with double moves on inexperienced RT/RG.

Another weakness is King Doerue if he indeed plays more than Kobe Lewis. If you watch him against Minnesota (the last three years) and Michigan state on a long pass, he can make it happen in the open field. He can’t create running lanes that aren’t there like Zander Horvath could.

Purdue will struggle against teams who can jam the line and make it so that Doerue has to create his own running lanes.. this will either lead to CMU transfer Kobe Lewis getting in the game or to a lot of no gain plays that put more pressure on Oconnell.

What does Purdue do exceptionally well on offense?

1) O’Connell - he’s really Drew brees if Drew had footspeed more like your dad than the running threat that he was. If you can get Wisconsin like pressure he will make mistakes. If not, he hits the quick hitters, goes through reads lightning quick, works all areas of the field (can look off to his right and then turn and fire an accurate pass left) and he throws an accurate catchable ball that lets receivers catch it in stride. Watch this:

0:21 - that’s what I’m talking about. Jackson Anthrop was a non athlete in the big ten. Good solid player but not going to beat anyone with dynamic explosiveness. O’Connell drops a dime over two defenders and allows Anthrop to catch it on the run. Drew Brees made a freshman John standeford and you’ve never heard of like Randall Lane and Gabe Cox look like studs. Oconnell has that. I think he’s already better than Kyle Orton.

2) the TEs - Payne Durham isn’t the most athletic or the most anything but he catches the ball and if you don’t tackle him soundly he will stay up and keep going. Garrett Miller is raw, much more athletic.. could be a Dustin Keller type of not better as he reaches maturity. The kinda guy, and I’m sure you’ve had them, where he can make a wow play athletically and then get a flag for being too emotional after the play.

3) the pass blocking of the OL - what Purdue’s OL always seems give up in beef, they get back in being quick and pass blocking Well.

4) Jeff brohm as an offensive play caller - when the players are doing their thing and Winning enough battles, Brohm’s offense becomes hard to defend.

Experience chart offense - only listing players who have played and done some things in at least one game

QB - O’Connell
RB - Doerue, Lewis, Downing
TE - Durham, Miller
WR (right side) - Thompson, Rice, Yaseen
WR (slot) - Sheffield, Tracy
WR (left) - Jones
LT - Miller, Moussa
LG - Holstege
C - Hartwig, Holstege
RG - Craig, Mbow
RT - Moussa, Craig

Watch that left WR.. where Milton Wright lined up and where Purdue plays their faster outside guy. If Jones really pans out and proves that it was petras and not him, Purdue will be great on offense all other things equal. If he doesn’t and there are communication breakdowns on that side, Purdue could come out and score 13 points against Penn state.

defense - experience at WR is our second biggest question mark on the team. The biggest?

1) Can any one DL be a catalyst for pressure? Or will Purdue either have to blitz or let opposing QBs Pat the ball back there.

Purdue fans who are reading this might not like this, but I think our DL is just depth without any established playmakers in their own rite.

teams often doubled and tripled George Karlaftis and chipped him with a back, and sometimes it still took WDE Kydran Jenkins and 3 tech Branson Deen half an hour to get to the QB. They did, but it didn’t look like they could without George taking up half the blocking. Jenkins doesn’t look explosive. Deen does, but not enough at his smaller size. NT Lawrence Johnson is a good player but I don’t think he’s going to cave in an interior and drop the QB. Karlaftis’ camp replacement Jack Sullivan is a tough tough player but he’s built more like an offensive tackle and doesn’t have any burst at this level.

Purdue will be relying on either guys to prove they are better than I think without George there OR a couple guys like Sydnor (SSDE), incoming rivals 100 DE Nic Caraway or Deen’s bigger, more athletic and more raw backup Demarje Lewis to take someone’s spot. The problem is, that may not work it’s way out vs penn state and then Clifford could have all day. Clifford isn’t close to Oconnell as a pure passer, but give him half an hour to stand there with your receivers, not good.

2) middle linebacker - starting middle linebacker Kieran Douglas is a fierce nasty hitter, but he’s slow. Now, with the four man pressure Purdue got last year, it didn’t matter. Rush four and let Clifford Pat the ball and you can really take advantage of Douglas in space. This weakness goes away if Purdue’s DL proves me wrong. If not, it’s glaring.

3) minor considerations -

> Chris Jefferson was D2 player of the year and in 2020 and backed up cam Allen at free safety last year. Starting strong safety and second leading tackler Marvin Grant left the team and now Jefferson starts there. He is a second FS, not a strong safety.. so if penn state comes out old school and has a guy ripping into the third level he may take Jefferson with him to the end zone.

> WLB - Alexander left and now Clyde Washington will be the lone Purdue starter, should he get that role, to be brand new to playing a lot at this level. Purdue writers have floated MLB Semisi Fakasiieki (similar to Douglas, out all last year with injury) playing there. This would be a disaster as the spacing would be terrible on defense. To me that scenario would make this weakness number one.

Experience chart

DE - Sullivan, Anderson
3T - Deen, Lewis
NT - Johnson, Boyd
Leo - Jenkins
WLB -
MLB - Douglas, Fakasiieki, Wahlberg
LB/S - Jalen Graham
CB - Trice, Denson
FS - Allen
SS - Jefferson
CB - Brown, Denson

what does the defense do well?

> Jalen Graham really is a first team all big ten talent .. he’s everything a safety/LB should be and he will make any play to be made over the right side of the offense. Check him out at 1:43 here and he gets another pick later.

> if Cory Trice is healthy it may be the best secondary Purdue has had in 19 years. The corners are big, physical, stay with receivers and contest balls in the air. Cam Allen will make QBs pay for mistakes

Oconnell has a number of last drive wins under his belt including the first three appearances of his career.. in fact, I’m not sure he’s ever had the ball with a chance to take the lead on the last drive without doing so…

> the DL is tough, experienced and plays the run well. If one guy can be a disruptive force, it goes from potential weak spot to strength and makes KD a strength at MLB. Douglas might be the hardest hitter Purdue has ever had. Paternity would be happy to have him. It’s all about whether the DL lets him be a cleanup guy or makes him cover in space.

So there’s your preview.. if your OL can stonewall our pass rush or run over the right side into the secondary and if your D can cause communication breakdowns, you might win by 17. If we answer those questions in a home opener blackout, I think we can be up 4 late with the ball.

He already has guys back who were producing when healthy and when Bell, Wright and Anthrop came out of the game. Thompson didn’t get in a ton but when he did he made plays before Tennessee.

here’s my scouting report on Purdue

Offense -

weaknesses are receiver chemistry with oconnell. Tyrone Tracy had 589 yards with Nathan Stanley in Iowa in 2019 and charlie Jones is a hell of an athlete and played with Oconnell as a kid, but neither have played with Oconnell at Purdue and both struggled playing with Spencer petras and Brian ferentz at Iowa. Jones could take an outside role where right played and Tracy will likely rotate in with sheffield or in double slot situations. Broc Thompson came from Marshall last year and had that big bowl game with two injured shins. If he’s back it will be him in Bell’s spot. He’s a polished receiver who has good technique and is probably faster than bell. A poor man’s David bell at best. Mershawm rice and Abdur yaseen are two big former four stars who each did well in one game last year and then got hurt. Rice has spent most of his career hurt. Watch Preston Terrell, a RS Fr. who I think has all the tools to potentially be Purdue’s best receiver.

Purdue will struggle against teams who can hold coverage well enough to cause breakdowns in communication on key third downs. Oconnell can make any receiver look good.. he was #3 passer rating in America going into the bowls. Look at the plays where he sprung Jackson anthrop for big gainers. Anthrop was not an athlete at this level. He can’t make receivers stay on the same page with him.

Purdue returns experience on the left side of the line in standout center Gus Hartwig, who started as a freshman and is now a junior, LG Spencer Holstege and LT Eric Miller. The question is on the right. Marcus Mbow and Mahamane Moussa are really athletic mature bodies for Rs Fr OL at Purdue, and both played as true freshmen and looked good, but they are inexperienced.. cam Craig would be the most talented lineman but he’s battled some nagging issues, so instead of being a standout RT expect him to be ok there then play. Even with the experience on the left side, it’s been a long time since Purdue started the season getting a push in the run game. In most years that’s taken half if not more than half of the year.

Purdue will struggle against teams that have a dominant 3tech and or SSDE who can cause blocking breakdowns, take advantage of the inexperience on the right side, stonewall the run (the whole DL) and get pressure with double moves on inexperienced RT/RG.

Another weakness is King Doerue if he indeed plays more than Kobe Lewis. If you watch him against Minnesota (the last three years) and Michigan state on a long pass, he can make it happen in the open field. He can’t create running lanes that aren’t there like Zander Horvath could.

Purdue will struggle against teams who can jam the line and make it so that Doerue has to create his own running lanes.. this will either lead to CMU transfer Kobe Lewis getting in the game or to a lot of no gain plays that put more pressure on Oconnell.

What does Purdue do exceptionally well on offense?

1) O’Connell - he’s really Drew brees if Drew had footspeed more like your dad than the running threat that he was. If you can get Wisconsin like pressure he will make mistakes. If not, he hits the quick hitters, goes through reads lightning quick, works all areas of the field (can look off to his right and then turn and fire an accurate pass left) and he throws an accurate catchable ball that lets receivers catch it in stride. Watch this:

0:21 - that’s what I’m talking about. Jackson Anthrop was a non athlete in the big ten. Good solid player but not going to beat anyone with dynamic explosiveness. O’Connell drops a dime over two defenders and allows Anthrop to catch it on the run. Drew Brees made a freshman John standeford and you’ve never heard of like Randall Lane and Gabe Cox look like studs. Oconnell has that. I think he’s already better than Kyle Orton.

2) the TEs - Payne Durham isn’t the most athletic or the most anything but he catches the ball and if you don’t tackle him soundly he will stay up and keep going. Garrett Miller is raw, much more athletic.. could be a Dustin Keller type of not better as he reaches maturity. The kinda guy, and I’m sure you’ve had them, where he can make a wow play athletically and then get a flag for being too emotional after the play.

3) the pass blocking of the OL - what Purdue’s OL always seems give up in beef, they get back in being quick and pass blocking Well.

4) Jeff brohm as an offensive play caller - when the players are doing their thing and Winning enough battles, Brohm’s offense becomes hard to defend.

Experience chart offense - only listing players who have played and done some things in at least one game

QB - O’Connell
RB - Doerue, Lewis, Downing
TE - Durham, Miller
WR (right side) - Thompson, Rice, Yaseen
WR (slot) - Sheffield, Tracy
WR (left) - Jones
LT - Miller, Moussa
LG - Holstege
C - Hartwig, Holstege
RG - Craig, Mbow
RT - Moussa, Craig

Watch that left WR.. where Milton Wright lined up and where Purdue plays their faster outside guy. If Jones really pans out and proves that it was petras and not him, Purdue will be great on offense all other things equal. If he doesn’t and there are communication breakdowns on that side, Purdue could come out and score 13 points against Penn state.

defense - experience at WR is our second biggest question mark on the team. The biggest?

1) Can any one DL be a catalyst for pressure? Or will Purdue either have to blitz or let opposing QBs Pat the ball back there.

Purdue fans who are reading this might not like this, but I think our DL is just depth without any established playmakers in their own rite.

teams often doubled and tripled George Karlaftis and chipped him with a back, and sometimes it still took WDE Kydran Jenkins and 3 tech Branson Deen half an hour to get to the QB. They did, but it didn’t look like they could without George taking up half the blocking. Jenkins doesn’t look explosive. Deen does, but not enough at his smaller size. NT Lawrence Johnson is a good player but I don’t think he’s going to cave in an interior and drop the QB. Karlaftis’ camp replacement Jack Sullivan is a tough tough player but he’s built more like an offensive tackle and doesn’t have any burst at this level.

Purdue will be relying on either guys to prove they are better than I think without George there OR a couple guys like Sydnor (SSDE), incoming rivals 100 DE Nic Caraway or Deen’s bigger, more athletic and more raw backup Demarje Lewis to take someone’s spot. The problem is, that may not work it’s way out vs penn state and then Clifford could have all day. Clifford isn’t close to Oconnell as a pure passer, but give him half an hour to stand there with your receivers, not good.

2) middle linebacker - starting middle linebacker Kieran Douglas is a fierce nasty hitter, but he’s slow. Now, with the four man pressure Purdue got last year, it didn’t matter. Rush four and let Clifford Pat the ball and you can really take advantage of Douglas in space. This weakness goes away if Purdue’s DL proves me wrong. If not, it’s glaring.

3) minor considerations -

> Chris Jefferson was D2 player of the year and in 2020 and backed up cam Allen at free safety last year. Starting strong safety and second leading tackler Marvin Grant left the team and now Jefferson starts there. He is a second FS, not a strong safety.. so if penn state comes out old school and has a guy ripping into the third level he may take Jefferson with him to the end zone.

> WLB - Alexander left and now Clyde Washington will be the lone Purdue starter, should he get that role, to be brand new to playing a lot at this level. Purdue writers have floated MLB Semisi Fakasiieki (similar to Douglas, out all last year with injury) playing there. This would be a disaster as the spacing would be terrible on defense. To me that scenario would make this weakness number one.

Experience chart

DE - Sullivan, Anderson
3T - Deen, Lewis
NT - Johnson, Boyd
Leo - Jenkins
WLB -
MLB - Douglas, Fakasiieki, Wahlberg
LB/S - Jalen Graham
CB - Trice, Denson
FS - Allen
SS - Jefferson
CB - Brown, Denson

what does the defense do well?

> Jalen Graham really is a first team all big ten talent .. he’s everything a safety/LB should be and he will make any play to be made over the right side of the offense. Check him out at 1:43 here and he gets another pick later.

> if Cory Trice is healthy it may be the best secondary Purdue has had in 19 years. The corners are big, physical, stay with receivers and contest balls in the air. Cam Allen will make QBs pay for mistakes

Oconnell has a number of last drive wins under his belt including the first three appearances of his career.. in fact, I’m not sure he’s ever had the ball with a chance to take the lead on the last drive without doing so…

> the DL is tough, experienced and plays the run well. If one guy can be a disruptive force, it goes from potential weak spot to strength and makes KD a strength at MLB. Douglas might be the hardest hitter Purdue has ever had. Paternity would be happy to have him. It’s all about whether the DL lets him be a cleanup guy or makes him cover in space.

So there’s your preview.. if your OL can stonewall our pass rush or run over the right side into the secondary and if your D can cause communication breakdowns, you might win by 17. If we answer those questions in a home opener blackout, I think we can be up 4 late with the ball.

Great write up. Similar questions on both sides and neither team gets a cupcake to prepare.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
why did he come back for year 6 instead of going pro?

why did he come back for year 6 instead of going pro?
His feet… he’s worked his ass off to go from molasses slow.. like slower than your dad, to just average. In the NFL his feet may be a liability. Plus he was a walk-on that appeared twice in 2019, then started 2020 before being hurt in the second game. Last year brohm wanted to give one last chance to his first big recruit (for us at the time) Jack plummer. So he really only has been THE guy for 9 games. The NFL might have told him to go do it for another 13 in light of all I just said.

if he ran like brees he’d be a high first rounder. Each year he’s looked a little quicker, will be interesting to see if he got a little quicker again thus offseason.

Last edited:
Wow, wow, and just WOW!!!!

Anybody home @Delcolion915 ?

There is a rumor that Ohio has a pretty experienced team so maybe you are on their bandwagon as well?

Last edited:
Listen Binkie.....I went to my first Penn State Football Game 11/5/66. I'm not an "elite" fanboy like you.
You are the one who is clearly the "pretender" here. I'll stick with PSU win, lose or draw.
Hey Marshall, will we ever hear back from our friend Delcolion915 ?? All that chatter about us not showing up, and here we are waiting for this PSU "fan" to turn on his computer......

Maybe he had a cardiac event around midnight Thursday evening..... Hope not, we need him here!

Hey Marshall, will we ever hear back from our friend Delcolion915 ?? All that chatter about us not showing up, and here we are waiting for this PSU "fan" to turn on his computer......

Maybe he had a cardiac event around midnight Thursday evening..... Hope not, we need him here!
Didn’t he save someone’s post so he could come back after the game to harass people who thought PSU would win?

Still no sign of Delcolion? And he said I wouldn’t be back on here starting September 2nd. Hmm, interesting.

Still no sign of Delcolion? And he said I wouldn’t be back on here starting September 2nd. Hmm, interesting.
Yea, I felt kind of honored that he saved one of my posts. A pretty high compliment!! As most of them just fade away into the bit bucket.... :(

Is "Delco" a place? Maybe we should call the local police there and get them to check on him. He said he'd see us here on September 2nd, so I'm starting to worry about him.o_O

ADVERTISEMENT