ADVERTISEMENT

Pump the brakes

Pitt is in the only Power 5 division they would win.
The Big Ten West is worse than you think then. Maybe Minnesota is better than them but that's it and it would depend who had the easier schedule vs. the east.

The Big Ten West is worse than you think then. Maybe Minnesota is better than them but that's it and it would depend who had the easier schedule vs. the east.
Once every ten years Pitt has a team that could win the West. No P5 division has been worse than the Coastal since Pitt joined, and how many Coastal division champs does Pitt have? I truly don’t know, but I am assuming not many.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Once every ten years Pitt has a team that could win the West. No P5 division has been worse than the Coastal since Pitt joined, and how many Coastal division champs does Pitt have? I truly don’t know, but I am assuming not many.
I feel sorry for the Pitt team.....look at the coach. What a Neanderthal.....the Lair thinks he's a treasure.....LOL

I feel sorry for the Pitt team.....look at the coach. What a Neanderthal.....the Lair thinks he's a treasure.....LOL
Pitt has made me some money over the last 2 or 3 years, but since I don’t live anywhere near Pittsburgh, I don’t care much whether they win or lose. The rivalry was dead a long time ago.

This year--Pitt could win the west. Probably last year as well.

While possible, very unlikely last year or this year.
Why? Minnesota's the only decent team in the West this year. Pitt was ranked much higher than Iowa last year. Iowa was very lucky to have the record they did.

Pitt isn't a great or even a good program but they're absolutely on par right now with what we see in the Big Ten West division. We can all agree they'd be battling Rutgers and Indiana to stay out of the basement in the east most years but the second we start pretending the past 2 years they couldn't win the West we lose any credibility.

A lot would have depended on their schedule, especially the crossover games.

These teams account for all but one of the national titles and all have had multiple playoff appearances and finals appearances. So yes, these are your top 4 in the CFP era - Alabama (3 titles, 6 finals), Clemson (2 titles, 4 finals), Ohio State (1 title, 2 finals), and Georgia (1 title, 2 finals). Maybe with the portal and NIL we'll see someone outside that group.
If you're talking about the CF playoff era, they may not have a NC but I'd also throw Oklahoma in there as they've been very consistent although in a watered down Big 12

If you're talking about the CF playoff era, they may not have a NC but I'd also throw Oklahoma in there as they've been very consistent although in a watered down Big 12
True, but they haven't won a CFP game yet. Notre Dame has gotten in a couple of times as well.

Oklahoma has made 4 of the 8 CFB Invitationals to-date. The only teams to have made more are Clemson (6) and Bama (7). One of the teams that the poster claims has dominated the playoffs, UGa, has only made 2 of the 8.

Why? Minnesota's the only decent team in the West this year. Pitt was ranked much higher than Iowa last year. Iowa was very lucky to have the record they did.

Pitt isn't a great or even a good program but they're absolutely on par right now with what we see in the Big Ten West division. We can all agree they'd be battling Rutgers and Indiana to stay out of the basement in the east most years but the second we start pretending the past 2 years they couldn't win the West we lose any credibility.
You said it your self. Pitt isn’t very good. The grind of the crossover games mixed in with the West games is far more difficult than the ACC. Don’t think they are good enough and that includes last year.

Reactions: marshall23
You said it your self. Pitt isn’t very good. The grind of the crossover games mixed in with the West games is far more difficult than the ACC. Don’t think they are good enough and that includes last year.

ASWP lost to a MAC team last year and won the ACC for Pete's sake! According to Lando Calodorkium, any team that loses to a MAC team is "garbage"..... but now he's double-talking on his previously stated standard. Not even Purdue or Auburn lose to MAC teams.

You're not being honest here. Pitt likely would have won the west last year and would be the second most likely this year behind Minnesota. Most years, you're right--when Wisconsin is Wisconsin, but not the past 2 years.

The hard thing about this time of year is "nobody has played anybody." Listening to the Solid Verbal...and those guys are always a bit snarky. Well, as they tore down team after team, there was a telling trend.

Team A sucks because it got creamed by Team B. So beating Team A is not a good win for Team B. So we don't know if Team B is any good, even though they are undefeated. (Auburn is great example...they must suck because they got beat so badly by PSU at home...so we can't say that PSU is actually any good yet)

There are just so few data points still...and so much discrepancy of opponents. Some people are playing FCS...and the dregs of FBS....others are playing 2 or 3 Power 5 teams already. Is a 4-0 team against the dregs (say, Minnesota or MIchigan) going to be ranked higher than a 2-2 team that played a challenging schedule? Yep.

Pitt has surprised me at their improvement. The loathsome Nard-dog has a perennial top 40 team out there...I thought they'd fall of the map this year without Pickett and Addison...but it looks like 8-4 or even 9-3 might be in the cards in a mediocre ACC.

All this conference debate has me more excited for the 12-team playoff than ever. It's going to make more teams prove themselves out-of-conference before being ushered into the inner sanctum of the final four.

It still rewards the regular season. If you're a top-4 champ, you only have to win 1 game to get in the top 4.
But it makes a way for 2nd place teams in more difficult conferences as at-larges, if they can win 2 games to make it into the top 4.

You're not being honest here. Pitt likely would have won the west last year and would be the second most likely this year behind Minnesota. Most years, you're right--when Wisconsin is Wisconsin, but not the past 2 years.
I am being honest. While possible that Pitt could have won the west last year but unlikely. Pitt was the product of the Coastal and without Clemson being any good. The crossover games are much stronger than the ACC. Narducci’s record against the Big is poor. ACC’s bowl records were bad last year. Weren’t they like 2-6 or even worse? Lots of “honest” reasons. Pitt was a betting favorite of mine the last two seasons. I don’t hold animosity towards them like a lot on here. My problem is how often they are brought up here. It is a meaningless dead rivalry. You always sound like a closet Pitt fan to me, but I will take you for your word that you aren’t.

Because of his quirky personality, Fleck is not taken very seriously here. HE is a very very good football coach who develops talent as well as anyone. While row the boat is also quirky, his teams do play together well

Last edited:
Because of his quirky personality, Fleck is not taken very seriously here. HE is a very very good football coach who develops talent as good as anyone. While row the boat is also quirky, his teams do play together well
In my opinion, Fleck is the best coach in the Big Ten. His recruiting is good considering his school's limitations. His game day coaching is the best in the league. He hires very good assistants and coordinators who develop talent and put that talent in position to succeed. Minnesota has a ceiling but he hasn't hit it yet.

I am being honest. While possible that Pitt could have won the west last year but unlikely. Pitt was the product of the Coastal and without Clemson being any good. The crossover games are much stronger than the ACC. Narducci’s record against the Big is poor. ACC’s bowl records were bad last year. Weren’t they like 2-6 or even worse? Lots of “honest” reasons. Pitt was a betting favorite of mine the last two seasons. I don’t hold animosity towards them like a lot on here. My problem is how often they are brought up here. It is a meaningless dead rivalry. You always sound like a closet Pitt fan to me, but I will take you for your word that you aren’t.
Bowl records mean nothing in this era. The top kids don't play. I don't know why they're brought up and I agree the rivalry is dead. I just don't care about Pitt either way. They're irrelevant to us. This is more about how bad the Big Ten west has become. Again, Pitt would be lucky to finish 5th in the east but in the west...

Because of his quirky personality, Fleck is not taken very seriously here. HE is a very very good football coach who develops talent as good as anyone. While row the boat is also quirky, his teams do play together well
I really like Fleck and I expect him to get a big time job sooner than later. I think ND made a huge mistake with Freeman because Fleck would have been one of my top 3 choices for that job.

In my opinion, Fleck is the best coach in the Big Ten. His recruiting is good considering his school's limitations. His game day coaching is the best in the league. He hires very good assistants and coordinators who develop talent and put that talent in position to succeed. Minnesota has a ceiling but he hasn't hit it yet.

Hey genius, that awful Purdue team is beating you're supposedly awesome PJ Fleck Minnesota team 10-0.

Hey genius, that awful Purdue team is beating you're supposedly awesome PJ Fleck Minnesota team 10-0
Bowl records mean nothing in this era. The top kids don't play. I don't know why they're brought up and I agree the rivalry is dead. I just don't care about Pitt either way. They're irrelevant to us. This is more about how bad the Big Ten west has become. Again, Pitt would be lucky to finish 5th in the east but in the west...

Hey loudmouth, you want to keep telling me what "garbage" Purdue is as you're supposedly awesome Minnesota juggernaut is struggling mightily with losing 10-0 @home no less. LMAO.

Hey genius, that awful Purdue team is beating you're supposedly awesome PJ Fleck Minnesota team 10-0.
Minnesota is without one of the top 3 RBs in the nation and missed a 28 yard FG. Purdue came up with a turnover. Game is far from over. Purdue is still garbage. Fleck is a great coach but doesn't have great talent.

You're honestly the least knowledgeable person on the board. It's the There's 40 minutes left and you clearly haven't watched any of it

Minnesota is without one of the top 3 RBs in the nation and missed a 28 yard FG. Purdue came up with a turnover. Game is far from over. Purdue is still garbage. Fleck is a great coach but doesn't have great talent.

You're honestly the least knowledgeable person on the board. It's the There's 40 minutes left and you clearly haven't watched any of it

You're such a laughable asshat. Keep telling us how "unwrong" you are dope - Minnesota is struggling with Purdue @HOME!!! What a goofball douche you are.

I
You're such a laughable asshat. Keep telling us how "unwrong" you are dope - Minnesota is struggling with Purdue @HOME!!! What a goofball douche you are.
Are you watching the game? Minnesota doesn't have their elite RB, Minnesota missed a 28 yard FG, Minnesota had a WR watch a sure TD go through his hands. Minnesota isn't elite. You realize we're ranked higher than them, right? And, as I've said all along, we should beat them. The entire west is awful. Minnesota's just the best of a bad group. Wisconsin is losing to Illinois--until Wisconsin gets back to where they should be every single person here knows how bad the west is. At least until USC shows up assuming Lincoln gets them to where they should be.

I

Are you watching the game? Minnesota doesn't have their elite RB, Minnesota missed a 28 yard FG, Minnesota had a WR watch a sure TD go through his hands. Minnesota isn't elite. You realize we're ranked higher than them, right? And, as I've said all along, we should beat them. The entire west is awful. Minnesota's just the best of a bad group. Wisconsin is losing to Illinois--until Wisconsin gets back to where they should be every single person here knows how bad the west is. At least until USC shows up assuming Lincoln gets them to where they should be.

Hey never-wrong loudmouth (who is actually always wrong), the score is now Purdue is now winning 20-10 with 3 minutes remaining @Minnesota!!! Yea, Purdue is "garbage" and wouldn't have a chance against either ASWP or Maryland??? You're such a goof, it isn't even funny.

Hey never-wrong loudmouth (who is actually always wrong), the score is now Purdue is now winning 20-10 with 3 minutes remaining @Minnesota!!! Yea, Purdue is "garbage" and wouldn't have a chance against either ASWP or Maryland??? You're such a goof, it isn't even funny.
Purdue is garbage and Minnesota not very good either. I don't think you actually comprehend the sport at all. Minnesota lives and dies with their run game and they had none today with their star player out. This outcome isn't at all surprising. The entire west division is horrible as i've said a few dozens times.

Purdue is garbage and Minnesota not very good either. I don't think you actually comprehend the sport at all. Minnesota lives and dies with their run game and they had none today with their star player out. This outcome isn't at all surprising. The entire west division is horrible as i've said a few dozens times.

Everybody's garbage..... but ASWP and Maryland are good teams. You are so full of garbage it isn't even funny Toll-oComando.

Everybody's garbage..... but ASWP and Maryland are good teams. You are so full of garbage it isn't even funny Toll-oComando.
When and where did I say Maryland and Pitt are good teams? They could win the west this year because the west has no one that's any good. Neither of those teams could get close to the top 3 in the East. You apparently think half of FBS is good.

Ohio State > Michigan > Penn State >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The rest of the Big Ten and Pitt.

I love how Maryland would beat Purdue turned into Maryland is good.

When and where did I say Maryland and Pitt are good teams? They could win the west this year because the west has no one that's any good. Neither of those teams could get close to the top 3 in the East. You apparently think half of FBS is good.

You're the jackass that doesn't know squat about what you're talking about - Minnesota's defense underperformed every bit as much as their offense, but somehow that's explained by Minnesota's RB not playing??? Minnesota came in with the Conferences #2 Rush Defense (81.4 ypg), #1 Passing Defense (140.6 ypg), #1 Total Defense (222 ypg), #2 Scoring Defense (8.8 ppg). Against Purdue they gave up 20 points, 160 rushing yards and 359 Total Yards. Again, Purdue beat Minnesota at their place dimwit - PSU beat Purdue @Purdue!

You're the jackass that doesn't know squat about what you're talking about - Minnesota's defense underperformed every bit as much as their offense, but somehow that's explained by Minnesota's RB not playing??? Minnesota came in with the Conferences #2 Rush Defense (81.4 ypg), #1 Passing Defense (140.6 ypg), #1 Total Defense (222 ypg), #2 Scoring Defense (8.8 ppg). Against Purdue they gave up 20 points, 160 rushing yards and 359 Total Yards. Again, Purdue beat Minnesota at their place dimwit - PSU beat Purdue @Purdue!
See who Minnesota played prior today
I've always said we were better than Minnesota so what do you think Purdue beating Minnesota does. It literally just says both teams aren't good. You're so desperate to believe bad wins are special that you're rambling nonsense. Actually, the people that have been here long seem to basically all agree that's all you ever do

Yea games mean nothing especially the ones where Pitt has sucked against the Big over the years.

Yea games mean nothing especially the ones where Pitt has sucked against the Big over the years.
When we beat them 51-6 in 2018 that absolutely counted. As did 48-14 (I know we weren't in the B1G then) and every other time we beat them during the season. Bowl games are meaningless.

I don't understand why people are struggling with this. Pitt isn't good. The Big Ten west is just as bad with most people being even worse than Pitt.

When we beat them 51-6 in 2018 that absolutely counted. As did 48-14 (I know we weren't in the B1G then) and every other time we beat them during the season. Bowl games are meaningless.

I don't understand why people are struggling with this. Pitt isn't good. The Big Ten west is just as bad with most people being even worse than Pitt.
That is probably because every time you type something it is most likely wrong. I bet big on Purdue today. I was sure my gut was right when you called Minny a solid team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT