ADVERTISEMENT

Pump the brakes

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
Maybe it's the other strong starts that fizzled out, most recently last season...but I think our fan base is riding too high after the first 3 games.

Yes, there's tons to be optimistic about--from #10 to Abdul to Clifford's steadiness to changes in the OC philosophy--but it's too early to be going bonkers for this team.

Even in the national media I'm hearing "PSU went on the road and beat two Power 5 teams"...but Purdue is at best a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team. At worst, they're in the bottom 4. And Auburn--while a vaunted SEC team--is one of the worst Auburn teams they've had in a long time. I watched their first two weeks of play...squeaking past two abysmal teams. There's a reason they were picked 7th by the media out of 7 SEC West teams.

I like the growth I've seen from week 1 to week 3, but I'm pumping the brakes that this is truly a team that can beat 2 of our 3 Octobers opponents in that brutal stretch (at UM, Minny, OSU). If history holds serve, we'll lose at least 2 and probably all 3 of those (Minnesota being a letdown/lookahead loss that Franklin's teams are famous for).

Maybe it's the other strong starts that fizzled out, most recently last season...but I think our fan base is riding too high after the first 3 games.

Yes, there's tons to be optimistic about--from #10 to Abdul to Clifford's steadiness to changes in the OC philosophy--but it's too early to be going bonkers for this team.

Even in the national media I'm hearing "PSU went on the road and beat two Power 5 teams"...but Purdue is at best a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team. At worst, they're in the bottom 4. And Auburn--while a vaunted SEC team--is one of the worst Auburn teams they've had in a long time. I watched their first two weeks of play...squeaking past two abysmal teams. There's a reason they were picked 7th by the media out of 7 SEC West teams.

I like the growth I've seen from week 1 to week 3, but I'm pumping the brakes that this is truly a team that can beat 2 of our 3 Octobers opponents in that brutal stretch (at UM, Minny, OSU). If history holds serve, we'll lose at least 2 and probably all 3 of those (Minnesota being a letdown/lookahead loss that Franklin's teams are famous for).
Agreed.
If the NFL regular season ended today, the Eagles might be the #1 seed. We'll see.
We have no real idea how good any CFB team is at this point. Only time will tell. I'll look at the rankings around Halloween.

Are you familiar with fans? They get excited .

PSU fans excited and optimistic about PSU Football?

Heaven forbid...
(sarcasm)

For sure. I think Fans need to be level headed about this stuff. If we, as Fans, get too high on our horse, there's a possibility that us Fans could overlook Central Michigan and lose the game. I had a healthy respect for Auburn and the orange out heading into the game. And I'm certain my attitude affected the outcome of the game.

Fans are level headed...where, when why and how? Fan is a derivative of the word fanatic. Go figure!

Reactions: Jerry
Another good thread for this quote:

A wise old football coach used to say: "You're never as good as you think you are after you win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after you lose".

Don't need brakes, just a little perspective and common sense.....

Last edited:

Lots of truth in what you posted what exactly has Minny done?

for the most part, I agree. But I don't think too many PSU fans think we are going to be representing the East in the B1G championship game. maybe, but not expecting it.

What fans are really excited about is the best QB prospect we've probably ever had and is a true Frosh. The best RB prospect(s) since #26 (and maybe never before) and are true frosh. The second-best player on defense is a true freshman. We've got a DC that is creating havoc and an OC that is putting in a lot of offense that has been deficient since JoMo.

And the program is getting national attention.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a reasonable middle ground between pie-in-the-sky excitement and the usual nay-saying from the usual nay-sayers.

The middle ground is, hey, we're off to a great start, we're getting national buzz, the young guys are for real...so keep your wits about you but enjoy the ride while it lasts. And by the way, it looks likely to last for the next three weeks at least.

Spot on comments although I'm not sold yet that Minnesota has enough talent to hang with our offense (if we stay healthy) especially in white out conditions. At Michigan and OSU we are definitely underdogs and don't sleep on Michigan State.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a reasonable middle ground between pie-in-the-sky excitement and the usual nay-saying from the usual nay-sayers.

The middle ground is, hey, we're off to a great start, we're getting national buzz, the young guys are for real...so keep your wits about you but enjoy the ride while it lasts. And by the way, it looks likely to last for the next three weeks at least.
I'm just grateful we are not Nebraska

I can pump the brakes and still hope to win 2 of those 3. I see no reason not to beat Michigan or Minnesota. Their opponents have two wins and zero wins respectively. PSU opponents have more wins than both combined.
This. My question to those who say "yes, PSU is 3-0 but they had a MACrifice and 2 W's against bad teams" is - who is good? Georgia is 3-0 and beaten all their opponents convincingly, but only Oregon seems to have a pulse among their Ws. Bama barely beat Texas, OSU beat ND less impressively than Marshall. Minnesota and Meatchicken? Please, as pointed out already the Boat Rowers opponents are 0-10 and UM's are 2-9 (with both Ws coming against FCS opponents - Hawaii over Duquesne and UConn over Central Connecticut).

I'm not saying PSU is making the playoff, but they do have 2 P5 conference Ws, something not many teams can say at this point of the season, given the cupcake appetizers of many "top 25" teams. Let's see how things work themselves out over the coming weeks, but given PSU's new talent and results thus far there is certainly reason for optimism if not, dare I say, excitement among the fanbase.

I'll disagree a bit in that the two power 5 wins are nothing to sneeze at. Purdue has more returning starters than PSU, a QB who has been around as long as SC, and it was their home opener at night. They had been preparing since March for that game. Even if they fall flat, it was good win for those reasons.

I dont care if Auburn goes 0-fer in SEC play, it was a road SEC win on national TV in September. Auburn has comparable talent, especially in the older classes, and had revenge on their mind. Another good win.

I'll disagree a bit in that the two power 5 wins are nothing to sneeze at. Purdue has more returning starters than PSU, a QB who has been around as long as SC, and it was their home opener at night. They had been preparing since March for that game. Even if they fall flat, it was good win for those reasons.

I dont care if Auburn goes 0-fer in SEC play, it was a road SEC win on national TV in September. Auburn has comparable talent, especially in the older classes, and had revenge on their mind. Another good win.
For two years it seemed as if I saw subpar football entertaining wise . Which corresponded to a .500 record.
I like seeing PSU fight and put out a good effort. I like to see the line block well, the D make big plays , the O come through.
There’s a difference this year in watching for me and it doesn’t have to be an undefeated season for me to enjoy the games , win or lose.

Agreed. That is why I am showing up and booing this team on Saturday. I wish we were Minnesota. We should not sleep on the fact that Minnesota has an elite OC.

Agreed. That is why I am showing up and booing this team on Saturday. I wish we were Minnesota. We should not sleep on the fact that Minnesota has an elite OC.
We get excited but really our worries or our over confidence doesn’t matter.

For two years it seemed as if I saw subpar football entertaining wise . Which corresponded to a .500 record.
I like seeing PSU fight and put out a good effort. I like to see the line block well, the D make big plays , the O come through.
There’s a difference this year in watching for me and it doesn’t have to be an undefeated season for me to enjoy the games , win or lose.
Agreed.

This year, so far, is shaping up to look like last year. Remember we had two quality wins against Wisconsin and Auburn. Then we ended up being 5-0 going into an away game at Iowa. From there we imploded. We should have two more wins by the time we play UM @ Michigan (last year it was @ Iowa).

Lets hope this year is better than last.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Agreed.

This year, so far, is shaping up to look like last year. Remember we had two quality wins against Wisconsin and Auburn. Then we ended up being 5-0 going into an away game at Iowa. From there we imploded. We should have two more wins by the time we play UM @ Michigan (last year it was @ Iowa).

I guess I can think of a reason or two why that happened. Maybe this year those same things don't happen? I remember in 2016 we were 2-1 at this point, and ended up winning the East division. So I predict that we will do better than that.

Eyeroll.... what possible difference does it make how optimistic "fans" are? You're post is so pedantic and asinine.... give me a break, who in the hell are you to lecture PSU fans on this topic? BTW, PSU does have the most impressive wins in the Conference - who precisely do you believe has better wins???

Reactions: psugisher
I guess I can think of a reason or two why that happened. Maybe this year those same things don't happen? I remember in 2016 we were 2-1 at this point, and ended up winning the East division. So I predict that we will do better than that.
agreed.

I see this team growing and getting more confidence. Last year, our running game sucked and I see signs of improvement. My point is that we will have balance this year and we didn't last year, which left us exposed. When SC got hurt, we were screwed. He was our entire offense.

I still don't see us having the talent and experience that tOSU and UM have. I think those games will be competitive but I am not expecting us to be in the B1G championship game. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

200.gif

Reactions: BudatPSU
agreed.

I see this team growing and getting more confidence. Last year, our running game sucked and I see signs of improvement. My point is that we will have balance this year and we didn't last year, which left us exposed. When SC got hurt, we were screwed. He was our entire offense.

I still don't see us having the talent and experience that tOSU and UM have. I think those games will be competitive but I am not expecting us to be in the B1G championship game. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

200.gif
It would be nice to see a team actually get better as the season progresses rather than worse like last season. Knock on wood, but I believe that this will happen as long as we can stay rather healthy.

Reactions: Obliviax
It's just fans being fans. We are much better off than many other fans, at least for the time being. Why not be positive and hopeful? We can beat every team we play this year. We can also lose to most of them. We aren't likely going undefeated, but until we lose 2, we are still in it. Our future also looks fairly bright.

Agreed.

I see little things that are encouraging like fun blocking . Well that is probably big along with the RBs. Then we have a solid transfer WR, Washington , Strange, a great secondary .
It’s sort of like 1985 for an old guy like me. Who knows?🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Obliviax
Eyeroll.... what possible difference does it make how optimistic "fans" are? You're post is so pedantic and asinine.... give me a break, who in the hell are you to lecture PSU fans on this topic? BTW, PSU does have the most impressive wins in the Conference - who precisely do you believe has better wins???
Who has better wins outside of the conference even.

You mean the one who didn’t do squat when he was at Penn State; that OC? Let’s see how Minny does this Saturday when they finally play on the road and play a team with a pulse.

I see little things that are encouraging like fun blocking . Well that is probably big along with the RBs. Then we have a solid transfer WR, Washington , Strange, a great secondary .
It’s sort of like 1985 for an old guy like me. Who knows?🤷‍♂️
Well I am an old guy and I think both sides of this debate are correct. Clearly we need to pump the brakes until we get into the meat of the schedule. On the other hand, I am guardedly optimistic based on what the team, especially the true freshman. The two road wins aren’t going to win the conference championship However, they were both good wins. Opening games on the road are always dicey and while Auburn isn’t a top tier team by any means, it was a game that they had circled for a year and many pundits, including the two on Penn Live, picked to win.

Reactions: indynittany
Another good thread for this quote:

A wise old football coach used to say: "You're never as good as you think you are after you win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after you lose".

Don't need brakes, just a little perspective and common sense.....
Yes he did.

So, I agree with the analysis of Purdue and Auburn BUT we should always have high expectations and believe we'll contend for the Big Ten title/playoff spot. Anything less than that shouldn't be acceptable.

Yeah, we could still go 8-4 but we shouldn't be "expecting" that and never should have in the past and shouldn't in the future.

Sure dob't bo

Sure, don't book your trip to the playoffs but wow. losing to Minny in the White Out? What a downer you are. PSU football has disappointed the last couple of years and Franklin has come up little in a lot of big games, no doubt. However this year just looks different. We actually have a hoss running back or two for that matter, an O-Line that is blocking and play calling and schemes that fit our personnel. We have realized we have the best tight end room in the nation and a secondary that is the best in the B10 or close to it.

We have a good shot at scUM and I fully expect us to beat Minny. Can we lose both and lose to O$U, yeah but going 0 for 3 is remote in my opinion.

Reactions: indynittany
You mean the one who didn’t do squat when he was at Penn State; that OC? Let’s see how Minny does this Saturday when they finally play on the road and play a team with a pulse.
Ridiculous. Minnesota is clearly the team to beat. And that OC is working miracles.

I can pump the brakes and still hope to win 2 of those 3. I see no reason not to beat Michigan or Minnesota. Their opponents have two wins and zero wins respectively. PSU opponents have more wins than both combined.
And Purdue should have one more win if.m not for two dead ball PF’s after the last minute go ahead score vs Syr. That caused them to kick off from their 5 or so. Syr got the ball around mid field. One complete pass and another PF and BLAM. Syr wins. Absurd loss. Purdue may turn out to be pretty good. I mean….they do play in the West, so…

Reactions: psualt
And Purdue should have one more win if.m not for two dead ball PF’s after the last minute go ahead score vs Syr. That caused them to kick off from their 5 or so. Syr got the ball around mid field. One complete pass and another PF and BLAM. Syr wins. Absurd loss. Purdue may turn out to be pretty good. I mean….they do play in the West, so…
Purdue and Syracuse looked awful in the game. Neither team is remotely impressive. Purdue playing the in west and Syracuse playing in the ACC is the only reason either or both might have a decent record. They're not good.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
for the most part, I agree. But I don't think too many PSU fans think we are going to be representing the East in the B1G championship game. maybe, but not expecting it.

What fans are really excited about is the best QB prospect we've probably ever had and is a true Frosh. The best RB prospect(s) since #26 (and maybe never before) and are true frosh. The second-best player on defense is a true freshman. We've got a DC that is creating havoc and an OC that is putting in a lot of offense that has been deficient since JoMo.

And the program is getting national attention.
I think it's justified to note the improvement from last year to this one so far, and to be excited about it. We weren't that bad last year, prior to the injuries to Clifford and Mustipher. Now they both seem to be healthy and playing well. Meanwhile, a number of new stars are emerging on both sides of the ball. I really like what MD is bringing to the defense. It's going to be fun to watch this team mature as the season goes on.

That doesn't mean I'm delusional. Some tough games in October. Always tough to win in Ann Arbor and this may be the best UM team in a decade or two. OSU is loaded once again. Not sure we'll be able to beat either one, but I do feel more confident about our ability to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT