ADVERTISEMENT

Public Service Announcement

The cocktails must be frozen, have lids, and no straws. It IS illegal to drive under the influence.

No shit
gbujglgd0nx9n3cieni6.jpg

The problem now for us on the counties that border New Jersey is 2 fold.
First is the residents that have been going to work in New York and northern New Jersey have maybe already been exposed. They now feel that Corona was lingering about 5 weeks ago in New York area.
Second. With New York City getting overwhelmed with cases ,there will be an exodus to outlying areas including Northampton and Monroe county because of familiarity with area.
I don't know if President or Governor will have stomach to declare a stay in place mandate,(Martial Law)
Hopefully they have breakthrough in medicine treatment.
Keep safe.

Last edited:
until they know the true number of people that have covid19 antibodies in their system can the true level of danger be known?...... hyrdrowhatever is being used alot in the other countries and they fear a shortage as it is getting asked for alot. i heard a couple big pharmas are amping up the supply. that doesn't sound like something that isn't effective. i am not a doctor..... seems to me there would be doctors records for people who had flu symptems or felt sick for a few days say since dec.1 2019 to present and test them all for antibodies. that might be a drive-thru possibility. the country is about to be shut down without the true number of people getting the virus vs. death numbers.

If the spread rate does not decelerate in the next 3 weeks, by Monday April 20 the number of US cases will be greater than 70 million with more than 1 million dead. Here's hoping the freaking thing peaks really soon.

If the spread rate does not decelerate in the next 3 weeks, by Monday April 20 the number of US cases will be greater than 70 million with more than 1 million dead. Here's hoping the freaking thing peaks really soon.
While this statement is true, the reality is that the exponential growth rates were happening in other parts of the world, those rates appear to have slowed.

Italy, the epicenter for a while, peaked at 6557 new cases on March 21. Since then, they've had four straight days with numbers lower than that. Germany, whose curve looked even scarier than Italy's until March 20, has now had five straight days lower than that peak. France's curve has appeared to flatten, although they've only had lower numbers than their peak for two days (I'm in sales, so I can make hellacious graphs with three data points, but would probably refrain with this. Just pointing out the data). Switzerland, South Korea and Austria appear on the downswing, and the two day growth rate of others is lower.

Bottom line is that the data does not point to continued exponential growth. It points to a 21 to 31 day growth period, until peak, then a drop-off. Unfortunately, our growth didn't really start until March 5, so if we follow the other countries' curves, we're looking at a likely peak between today and April 5. With our way of life (not so willing to be locked down), I'm guessing we'll be on the long end of that.

Reactions: psumacw
Lifetime friend of mine is my personal doctor. We sent a few text to each other a couple of days ago. We mostly discussed the uptick in our country of the 20-40 year olds having serious conditions of Corona compared to other countries. He spoke of the US population that has showered everyday, has been using hand sanitizer on regular basis and has been prescribed antibiotics way too much. He said immune systems have not developed in that age group in US as in other parts of the world.
He also spoke of that age group having more of a want to call doctor than the older age groups.With the symptoms being very similar to bad cold a lot of older people just have not been as active on seeking medical attention.

Reactions: Dogwelder
While this statement is true, the reality is that the exponential growth rates were happening in other parts of the world, those rates appear to have slowed.

Italy, the epicenter for a while, peaked at 6557 new cases on March 21. Since then, they've had four straight days with numbers lower than that. Germany, whose curve looked even scarier than Italy's until March 20, has now had five straight days lower than that peak. France's curve has appeared to flatten, although they've only had lower numbers than their peak for two days (I'm in sales, so I can make hellacious graphs with three data points, but would probably refrain with this. Just pointing out the data). Switzerland, South Korea and Austria appear on the downswing, and the two day growth rate of others is lower.

Bottom line is that the data does not point to continued exponential growth. It points to a 21 to 31 day growth period, until peak, then a drop-off. Unfortunately, our growth didn't really start until March 5, so if we follow the other countries' curves, we're looking at a likely peak between today and April 5. With our way of life (not so willing to be locked down), I'm guessing we'll be on the long end of that.
If exponential growth continued, every man, woman, and child, in every corner of the world would get this virus. Thank you for your reasonable and rational post, pa.

Your Germany and Italy references show just how trendy (meaningful in the long-term) the charts are, yet how trendless they are in the short term. While Germany has less new cases in the past 5 days than their peak, the last 3 days are more than 60% higher than the two days (March 21, 22) right after the peak. Italy's numbers aren't as variable, but a 10% upswing March 24th over March 23rd show the amount of short-term variability, even after a hopeful peak in cases. This is surely tied to testing, hospitalizations, and the like.

In plain English, one day does not a trend make, and the infection charts look more like a normal curve than an exponential one when it's all over, but more days are needed on the country charts for those still in the middle of this before any proclamations are made. The USA chart looks ominous right now. Here's hoping and praying for a trend change soon. To everyone, please stay healthy and safe.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
The last shoe dropped for me that usually concluded in my mind the season. The Penn State Wrestling Club reimbursed me for the Awards Luncheon payment I previously made. I was delusional thinking we could celebrate these athletes, all of these athletes, maybe at a later date such as July. Something they well deserve. With time, I have been reading a lot on this subject and per the experts, once we have this under control, they say it will not disappear but return in waves over time. The gentleman that wrote the book on the Spanish Flu is a good source. Social activity as we know it will be disputed for a long period. Lets hope for a vaccine and we use the same, the end of this will be a while. Then we can try to resume life as much as possible as it once was.

As to the wrestlers from the 2019 - 2020 season, thank you for your work. For you graduating, especially thank you. A most important part of you lives have been taken from you. I still hope that down the road, wherever that road takes us and how long it takes us, that we can get together and celebrate your accomplishments.

Thanks to each of you that stepped into the wrestling room this year.

A Pennsylvania grocery store had to throw out 35,000 dollars worth of food after a woman purposely coughed all over it. They're not certain if she has the virus or not.

A Pennsylvania grocery store had to throw out 35,000 dollars worth of food after a woman purposely coughed all over it. They're not certain if she has the virus or not.
That was in my area. They are fairly certain she didn’t have it and it was just a bad prank, but could not risk it. She has a history of interacting badly with people and police.

Sad that stories like that get more traction than all the stories of folks doing extreme good. I do hear/see them on occasion. Heck, let's post some of the stories about the selfless people here.

Reactions: nitlion6 and Ja1339
Local restaurants are making free lunches for kids out of school. And a certain frequent poster, known for his cheesecakes, is donating a bunch for some of the restaurants to add to the lunches. Our church donated $2000 ($500 each to 4 different restaurants) to help keep the free lunches going.

Reactions: Wilco43
Sad that stories like that get more traction than all the stories of folks doing extreme good. I do hear/see them on occasion. Heck, let's post some of the stories about the selfless people here.
I gave blood, and the media didn't write about it!

But seriously, if anyone is able to give blood, it's a really worthwhile thing to do. Both the Red Cross and NY Blood Center are running critically low because they're unable to conduct mobile blood drives. And it'll get you out of the house.

As for truly heroic good deeds, a pair of smart young kids created a volunteer army called Invisible Hands of other young kids to purchase, pick up, and deliver groceries to the at-risk elderly around NYC. Smart, strategic thinking to meet a genuine need this virus exposed.

Reactions: nitlion6

With too much home time on my hands and covid news overdose, I've been watching the Silent Service series from the 50's on YouTube. I'm up to episode 25 so far All we have to do is stay home. What these folks did was truly selfless.

Not an issue here. But if you come down the Governor has directed that you isolate for 14 days.

With too much home time on my hands and covid news overdose, I've been watching the Silent Service series from the 50's on YouTube. I'm up to episode 25 so far All we have to do is stay home. What these folks did was truly selfless.

Oh, I'm going to have to look into that. If you haven't read Blind Man's Bluff, you might consider it. Fascinating stuff. Amazing what the diesel guys went through.

Reactions: nittinsc
Oh, I'm going to have to look into that. If you haven't read Blind Man's Bluff, you might consider it. Fascinating stuff. Amazing what the diesel guys went through.

I usually follow each episode by googling the sub's name. Besides WiKi, there are several sites where more detailed information is available. The series takes a number of liberties and sometimes combines separate events in the same storyline. If you start the video at about 25 seconds and end before the final credits, you can get through an episode in under 25 minutes

Just ordered Blind Man's Bluff on Ebay, $4. I've been reading military history since grade school, starting with 30 Seconds over Tokyo. I was able to attend some of the events for the 60th reunion of Doolittle's Raiders in 2002 in Columbia. I have an extensive library and like to read accounts of the same events written from different perspectives, including when they were written. I've read the entire History of United States Naval Operations In World War II by Samuel Eliot Morison.

Often contemporary accounts get some of the "history" wrong and it's only after 30-50 years or so do historians have the opportunity to examine declassified materials and participants are willing to recount their experiences. A good example is Guadalcanal Diary written by Richard Tregaskis and published in 1943 (also adapted to a movie in '43). Certainly not PC by current standards, and contains various inaccuracies.

I usually follow each episode by googling the sub's name. Besides WiKi, there are several sites where more detailed information is available. The series takes a number of liberties and sometimes combines separate events in the same storyline. If you start the video at about 25 seconds and end before the final credits, you can get through an episode in under 25 minutes

Just ordered Blind Man's Bluff on Ebay, $4. I've been reading military history since grade school, starting with 30 Seconds over Tokyo. I was able to attend some of the events for the 60th reunion of Doolittle's Raiders in 2002 in Columbia. I have an extensive library and like to read accounts of the same events written from different perspectives, including when they were written. I've read the entire History of United States Naval Operations In World War II by Samuel Eliot Morison.

Often contemporary accounts get some of the "history" wrong and it's only after 30-50 years or so do historians have the opportunity to examine declassified materials and participants are willing to recount their experiences. A good example is Guadalcanal Diary written by Richard Tregaskis and published in 1943 (also adapted to a movie in '43). Certainly not PC by current standards, and contains various inaccuracies.
I'm going to check it out.

By many accounts Blind Man's Bluff is very well researched and very accurate. Of course, there's probably some liberty taken.

That being said, I was in a restaurant about a year ago, when a very, um, mature, gentleman walked by with a Navy Veteran hat on. I stopped him to thank him for his service, and asked about the book. Turns out he was a diesel sub guy. He told me that he was somewhat skeptical of the book when he read it, as some of the stuff is pretty sensitive, so he called someone who he described as, "A guy who would know," a guy that stayed in the Navy and attained pretty high rank. That guy said, "You should believe the book," or something to that effect. That was good enough for a guy who lived it, so it was good enough for me.

Reactions: nittinsc
I gave blood, and the media didn't write about it!

But seriously, if anyone is able to give blood, it's a really worthwhile thing to do. Both the Red Cross and NY Blood Center are running critically low because they're unable to conduct mobile blood drives. And it'll get you out of the house.

As for truly heroic good deeds, a pair of smart young kids created a volunteer army called Invisible Hands of other young kids to purchase, pick up, and deliver groceries to the at-risk elderly around NYC. Smart, strategic thinking to meet a genuine need this virus exposed.
Thanks for donating. My 8 weeks is up next Thursday...giving then.

AUUUUUGGHH! I knew the State Stores were closed, but why oh why did they shut down https://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com ?

That's just cruel. That was plan B.
Plan C.... Delaware here I come. Six feet away from all the other people who are low on Bulliet Bourbon.

say-it-aint-so

In case anyone was wondering, I am not really going to Delaware for liquor. It would not be smart and I am a dbldoofus, not an idiot. I have been self quarantined due to possible exposure for almost two weeks and even after that will not be reckless. We all need to do all we can to slow this down.

Also I did cancel my trip to PR.

Reactions: nitlion6

My brother and I used to watch that show religiously when we were kids! Where are you getting it now?

We also used to watch Science Fiction Theater every week. George McFly mentions it in Back to the Future. I wonder if that's available anywhere.

My brother and I used to watch that show religiously when we were kids! Where are you getting it now?

We also used to watch Science Fiction Theater every week. George McFly mentions it in Back to the Future. I wonder if that's available anywhere.
Check dailymotion.com in their classic series section.

I'm going to check it out.

By many accounts Blind Man's Bluff is very well researched and very accurate. Of course, there's probably some liberty taken.

That being said, I was in a restaurant about a year ago, when a very, um, mature, gentleman walked by with a Navy Veteran hat on. I stopped him to thank him for his service, and asked about the book. Turns out he was a diesel sub guy. He told me that he was somewhat skeptical of the book when he read it, as some of the stuff is pretty sensitive, so he called someone who he described as, "A guy who would know," a guy that stayed in the Navy and attained pretty high rank. That guy said, "You should believe the book," or something to that effect. That was good enough for a guy who lived it, so it was good enough for me.
A number of years ago I took a tour on a diesel sub that was docked in Baltimore Harbor. No way, no how would of I wanted to be on that vessel when it was is in service. I am not a phopia guy but it had to take a special person to serve on a WW II sub.
80 years later,the special people serving our country are the doctors and nurses that are fighting a difficult battle. God Bless them.

Last edited:
Terroristic threats might be tough to prove, because spontaneous statements aren't enough to make out the intent requirement. So if she rolled in there drunk or high, got into an argument, and the result was the idiocy that led to her arrest, that would likely fall short.

She'll have to plead to something though (criminal mischief?), and if she's lucky enough to get no prison sentence, she'll likely have to agree to many hours of therapy and community service. She'll also likely face a civil claim from the store for their costs.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I commented earlier in week of chance of Marshall Law.
Looks like Trump is going to quarantine New York, and parts of Connecticut and New Jersey. Restrict residents from leaving.

I commented earlier in week of chance of Marshall Law.
Looks like Trump is going to quarantine New York, and parts of Connecticut and New Jersey. Restrict residents from leaving.

Is Marshall Law by any chance a descendant of Judge Roy Bean?

I sure wish every commercial email contact I have would stop sending me emails saying "We're here for you." Both my work and personal accounts are bombarded with them.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
My bad.
It's Martial Law.
I just assumed it was named after somebody named Marshall.
Sorry for the error.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT