ADVERTISEMENT

Public Service Announcement

Looked the list over. Someone without even a rudimentary understanding of how things function had to have put this together and no one else ever reviewed it. Here's an example: If you are a life-sustaining business and outsource accounting or payroll you're SOL because those businesses are supposed to be shut down.
Except that is changed now

Looked the list over. Someone without even a rudimentary understanding of how things function had to have put this together and no one else ever reviewed it. Here's an example: If you are a life-sustaining business and outsource accounting or payroll you're SOL because those businesses are supposed to be shut down.
The list was revised today. Accounting, tax preparation, and payroll services now allowed to remain open.

At some point we have to stop pretending that it's partisan to say things like the following:

The brief attempt to ban trucking rest stops was completely absurd and, in a word, pusillanimous and counter-productive. Thank goodness the truckers managed to get some exceptions. Thankfully, Pennsylvania was the only state to attempt something that dumb. We're supposed to do all these precautions to prevent excess deaths and then PennDOT decides the linchpin
At some point we have to stop pretending that it's partisan to say things like the following:

The brief attempt to ban trucking rest stops was completely absurd and, in a word, pusillanimous and counter-productive. Thank goodness the truckers managed to get some exceptions. Thankfully, Pennsylvania was the only state to attempt something that dumb. We're supposed to do all these precautions to prevent excess deaths and then PennDOT decides the linchpin of our supply lines ought to be poorly rested. Great idea.

As for the rest of his list, I would love to know how you're supposed to make steel without coal, or make paper without timber. I'd love to know how mining coal is more unhealthy than oil and gas extraction. And speaking of timber, I know one company whose timber cutting work is very important to local farmers, who've otherwise been deemed "mission essential." The chances of disease spreading among a 2-4 man timber crew out in the woods is .... not high.

They gave no explanations for their reasoning, they timed it all very poorly, and they forced companies to adjust on the fly. They can say no one knew this was gonna be a pandemic, but I've been reading about corona virus in China since around New Year's and I'm not a paid health professional for the state.

I have no problem with serious precautions, but gimme a break with some of this. They clearly rushed it. That's as far as I'm gonna go with politics on this forum but I'm sure not gonna keep silent on this. We deserve better from our bureaucrats than this.

The reality is that regardless of what the state demands from us, your health is in your hands either way. If they did nothing and let the virus burn itself out violently, your health would be in your hands; if they did mild mitigation, it's in your hands; and if they try full on statism, it's still in your hands. Use common sense, wash your hands, and speak out when the state authorities do things that are obviously dumb.

Have a good weekend, folks.
Just to provide a little FYI on the Pennsylvania pulp and paper business.

There are only a few pulp mills left in the state, and the pulp produced by them is mostly, if not all, used by the paper machines located adjacently. Those paper machines produce, largely, printing and writing paper. So, a lumber shutdown would cause loss of some production of those grades.

Fortunately, the tissue (facial and toilet) and towel segment uses predominantly imported virgin fiber or recycled fiber as their pulp source. So, a PA lumber shutdown wouldn't have much of an effect on our ability to blow our nose or wipe our butts.

All of that being said, I agree with your premise.

Except that is changed now
While my particular example has been changed, there are still many other problem areas on the list. That the list has been revised already illustrates that insufficient forethought was used in the first place.

Just to provide a little FYI on the Pennsylvania pulp and paper business.

There are only a few pulp mills left in the state, and the pulp produced by them is mostly, if not all, used by the paper machines located adjacently. Those paper machines produce, largely, printing and writing paper. So, a lumber shutdown would cause loss of some production of those grades.

Fortunately, the tissue (facial and toilet) and towel segment uses predominantly imported virgin fiber or recycled fiber as their pulp source. So, a PA lumber shutdown wouldn't have much of an effect on our ability to blow our nose or wipe our butts.

All of that being said, I agree with your premise.
Never imagined I'd talk timber industry on wrestling boards. I own a small logging company in Washington state. I was told today we were essential because we produced fiber for tissue and toilet paper and lumber for building. I was actually kinda surprised but I guess it makes sense. Our state hasn't went to a shut down yet except bars and restaurants. That's probably changing soon. This whole thing changes daily and I expect that to keep up for a month or so.

I own a monument company which typically falls under "Death Care Services" . The list that was posted on Thursday did not have that sector listed. Earlier in week it was listed as exempt to shut down because we are a manufacturer of tombstones and offer cemetery services.
Yesterday I closed retail office. I posted a sign and changed answering machine stating to contact us via phone, email or Web Site. In process of trying to post the new guidelines on Web site I ran into a problem. I initially developed Website myself using Go Daddy about 8-10 years ago. About 5 years ago I had 3rd party vendor refresh website. Leaving me confused on how to update the current setup. Gonna look into today.
If someone can post the link of the State business guidelines I would greatly appreciate it.
Edit. After posting this I found article from wfmz web site that allowed to me to search buisness sector and it showed that we can be open. It did not show separation of retail and services .

Last edited:
Never imagined I'd talk timber industry on wrestling boards. I own a small logging company in Washington state. I was told today we were essential because we produced fiber for tissue and toilet paper and lumber for building. I was actually kinda surprised but I guess it makes sense. Our state hasn't went to a shut down yet except bars and restaurants. That's probably changing soon. This whole thing changes daily and I expect that to keep up for a month or so.
What else are we going to do, since the off season started early? If we've already gotten to timber, imagine where our convos might lead.

Yeah, the PNW still has significant pulp capacity. I think PA is down to four pulp mills, all of which are relatively small, compared to the behemoths you have out there, and located in the Southeastern US.

The segment I didn't mention is packaging. Almost all of the paper used for boxes in PA is post-consumer (recycled, for the most part).

What else are we going to do, since the off season started early? If we've already gotten to timber, imagine where our convos might lead.

Yeah, the PNW still has significant pulp capacity. I think PA is down to four pulp mills, all of which are relatively small, compared to the behemoths you have out there, and located in the Southeastern US.

The segment I didn't mention is packaging. Almost all of the paper used for boxes in PA is post-consumer (recycled, for the most part).

Well, since you've delved into packaging, Sonoco, headquartered in small-town Hartsville SC has over 300 global locations (20k employees, 33 countries), with 9 locations in PA. Chances are everyone has a number of products with Sonoco packaging in their home.

Well, dang, I thought it would take longer to get there.
Worst thing about owning monument buisness is when people joke about these situations and how I'll benifit from it. I know they are only trying to be humorous but it still makes me uncomfortable. I don't need buisness from a horrific event.
Another issue is if I go to a funeral to pay might respects and family says we'll have to come in to buy tombstone. It makes me feel like the Grim Reaper. For the most part I avoid funerals for that reason.
Our business is offered as a service and people typically come in when they are comfortable to do so. The worst situation is when a young person passes.
Funeral Directors are truly the group that deals with the immediate grief and potential health concerns. I could not be a funeral director or one of his assistants.
Enough discussion about my job. It was intially a discussion about how inept PA was on the order.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Well, since you've delved into packaging, Sonoco, headquartered in small-town Hartsville SC has over 300 global locations (20k employees, 33 countries), with 9 locations in PA. Chances are everyone has a number of products with Sonoco packaging in their home.
No doubt that "S" with the roll of paper in the middle of it is everywhere. 100% recycled fiber.
iu

I understand how how being in the monument business has it's uncomfortable times. I've found monuments to be fascinating as they provide a glimpse into the past. There was a small hilltop family cemetery near where I grew up in Pennsyltucky that I visited on occasion. In it was a row of 4 small tombstones for children that all died at the same time. I don't recall the dates, but maybe it was during the Spanish Flu. Even as a youngster I wondered about that family's tragedy.

Years ago I visited Gettysburg with my cousin from CA. We were looking at the PA monument and looking up, the first name I read was identical to my own. A similar thing occurred to me during my attendance at a Memorial Day commemoration at the local National Cemetery as I was reading the names on some of the graves. I like to read their names as my way of honoring their service.

Poor old General Braddock, he was buried in the middle of the road so no one would find his grave. I just finished Braddock's Defeat by David Preston. Very good reading if you have an interest in that area. Also very good is The Road to Guilford Courthouse, which covers the Revolutionary War in the Carolinas.

I always thought the recycled percent was low, like in the 30’s, which I always thought was a shame. Glad to hear it is higher.

I always thought the recycled percent was low, like in the 30’s, which I always thought was a shame. Glad to hear it is higher.

From Sonoco's website:
"Our paper mills produce 100% recycled paperboard with 85% or more post-consumer fiber"

The newsprint part of pulp industry is dying off everywhere but cardboard and tissue will always be there. There are four pulp mills within a 100 miles of us so it's still relatively strong. Due to an unusually dry spring we have barely missed work so the crew is disappointed we may be part of the essentials.:)
At some point I'm gonna spend a few days checking out Pennsylvania timber industry when I come over. Almost stopped at s logging job while driving from philly to Pittsburgh before nationals last year to check out there site.
I have watched 100s of PSU matches on my phone while sitting on a tree I had just fell. My whole crew are ex wrestlers and huge fans of the sport. If theres a tournament going and we have service there is s match playing on the dash of the crummy while we eat lunch.

The SC forestry industry has an over $20 billion economic impact and provides about 85k jobs. A lot is for pulp and chips with still a good bit of dimensional product produced.

One of the more interesting "foresty" type business is a crafts related group of artisans that use 40,000 year old cypress logs that are occasionally found buried in local sand pits. Here's an article:

https://www.wistv.com/story/2261712...s-found-may-be-oldest-workable-wood-in-world/

http://johntannercalls.com/box_calls.php

I would assume PPE (like masks, gloves) for front line healthcare workers.

Yes, that's what the article said. PPE is being collected by Habitat for Humanity. Since I write a good bit of reports for work, I tend to notice statements that could have multiple interpretations.

Just made a grocery run and my nearest Giant had plenty of beer and wine. Delaware County (suburban PHL), which is normally Panic Central.

However: it's a separate checkout, and IDK if they had a cashier in that section.
I am originally from PA and do not get back often, but when I was (4-5 years ago), I noticed that we had to check out the beer separately from groceries. Why is that, if anyone knows? Here in Ohio not the case, and we don't have state run liquor stores (which always seemed to me to be a ridiculous idea).

I am originally from PA and do not get back often, but when I was (4-5 years ago), I noticed that we had to check out the beer separately from groceries. Why is that, if anyone knows? Here in Ohio not the case, and we don't have state run liquor stores (which always seemed to me to be a ridiculous idea).
Short version: Because PA.

Official version: LCB doesn't trust the regular cashiers to properly card underage buyers. This is nonsense, as studies have shown that the underage buying rate is higher at PA State Stores than at private liquor stores in neighboring states.

Real reason: This being PA, people can't be trusted to make their own decisions on what to buy or sell without Harrisburg's approval. And Harrisburg's approval is delegated to lobbyists and crony capitalists. Therefore when public pressure to allow private alcohol sales mounted, Harrisburg's solution was predictable -- only a few grocery stores (translated: large chains with lobbyists) would be allowed to sell, and Harrisburg would regulate the hell out of it.

Antiquated laws dating back to prohibition, money and votes. Some of which are inextricably linked. :(

Restaurants and bars have been able to sell six packs for a while. A smart grocer (with slightly relaxed laws), realized that if he created a "restaurant" in his store, he could sell it, too.

I have heard PA has the second worse liquor laws, just behind Mormon Utah.
2nd worse behind Saudi Arabia is more like it.

Joking aside: the PA system for buying alcohol is virtually identical to government procurement.

Does Ohio still have dry towns?

Years ago I was working in Texarkana. The Arkansas-Texas state line ran down the middle of one of the main highways. Bowie County in Texas was dry, but all you had to do to buy beer or liquor was to walk across the road. It seemed like every other business on the AR side sold some type of spirits. And of course there were plenty of nightclubs just across the border too.

I think maybe Delaware is worse, unless it's changed recently.
Living in PA, 10 minutes from Delaware: PA is much, much worse.

Total Wine in Claymont DE (approx 50 yards from the PA border at I-95) is big enough to land a plane inside.

Correction: a few months ago they took over nearly the entire strip mall. It's now big enough to land one plane in the wine section and land another plane in the beer/liquor section.

They also consistently beat PA on price -- and that's before 0% DE sales tax.

The only way that store could get better would be a drive-thru window.

The newsprint part of pulp industry is dying off everywhere but cardboard and tissue will always be there. There are four pulp mills within a 100 miles of us so it's still relatively strong. Due to an unusually dry spring we have barely missed work so the crew is disappointed we may be part of the essentials.:)
At some point I'm gonna spend a few days checking out Pennsylvania timber industry when I come over. Almost stopped at s logging job while driving from philly to Pittsburgh before nationals last year to check out there site.
I have watched 100s of PSU matches on my phone while sitting on a tree I had just fell. My whole crew are ex wrestlers and huge fans of the sport. If theres a tournament going and we have service there is s match playing on the dash of the crummy while we eat lunch.

You guys have it made! Working outdoors in the most awesome state in the country when it comes to natural scenery. I sit behind a computer all day and everytime the screensaver shows a scene from Washington, I get homesick. Got to get back there to visit sometime soon.

Total Wine in Claymont DE (approx 50 yards from the PA border at I-95) is big enough to land a plane inside.

Correction: a few months ago they took over nearly the entire strip mall. It's now big enough to land one plane in the wine section and land another plane in the beer/liquor section.

An old man at a wrestling match told me he could at go through a drive thru bar years ago and get mixed drinks. You know before DUI s were frowned upon lol.

You can do that now in New Orleans.
Drive thru daiquiri shop on Veterans Blvd in Metaire, about 3 blocks off I-10, halfway between the airport and the French Quarter.

Cabbies hate the airport fixed fare, can be bribed into a detour on the way into town.

Reactions: pahawk68

When I lived in Chester County, I bought all my wine in Delaware. The store I went to had a cable TV show on Chester County cable. The guy went to a restaurant somewhere in SE Pa, and he and usually a wine company representitive would have dinner and drink wine. The show was always split into 2 half-hour episodes. We NEVER missed the 2nd half hour, because both guys would be sh*t-faced by then. It was a riot.

When I lived in Chester County, I bought all my wine in Delaware. The store I went to had a cable TV show on Chester County cable. The guy went to a restaurant somewhere in SE Pa, and he and usually a wine company representitive would have dinner and drink wine. The show was always split into 2 half-hour episodes. We NEVER missed the 2nd half hour, because both guys would be sh*t-faced by then. It was a riot.
Dear Comcast,
Please re-air this show. Times like these call for big actions.
Signed, Everybody

Aren't we already on lockdown? Only leaving for food or family? They can't hardly MAKE you stay in your house when you run out of food lol.
China just had its first day of no new domestic cases. So it can be done with a couple months of isolation.
Crazy stuff tho. Wish everyone the best ✌️

Be nice if true but we sure as hell can't trust China on this............

biggest problem is trying to get back to 95 because everyone from total win AND the wawa have to make a left from a stop sign to get back to naaman's road

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT