ADVERTISEMENT

PSU77sh.......re: Cal State system

bjf1991

Oct 4, 2016
well........don't believe what you hear :), because its nonsense.

Your "info" is probably confusing the California State system, which all have tuition of about $6,000 per year ( https://www2.calstate.edu/ ) with other public universities in California (the UC system)

There are 20-some Universities in the Cal State system.

Some (like San Diego - largely because it is small, and has limited spots - and Long Beach) are more selective than others (like San Jose and Bakersfield)

Overall - the acceptance rates, system-wide, for both "in state" and "out of state" are FAR more inclusive than PSU (ie, a lot easier to gain acceptance.......around an 80% acceptance rate)

The UC System - Cal-Berkeley, UCLA, Cal-Irvine, Cal-Davis and a handful of others.......are much more expensive (though still WELL BELOW the tuition cost of PSU.....PSU is about 60% higher than even these "higher cost" California schools).
With various selectivity rates (from Berkeley and UCLA, which are extremely difficult, to Irvine and San Diego - which are somewhat more exclusive than PSU, and several that are on par with - or easier- to get into than PSU.

But comparing Cal-Berkeley and the like, to PSU's state system is like comparing UPenn to West Chester State.

Penn State's acceptance rates, of course, are driven up due to the ridiculous tuition costs........have to issue more acceptances in order to fill the quota, when the price is so high.

Penn State issues more "acceptances" than just about any University in the country (might be a few that accept more).
For example, PSU and UCLA have similar enrollments (number of kids choosing to accept the offer).....but PSU has to offer nearly twice as many kids to get those acceptances.

Reactions: Langmuir
I was going to reply something similar but that thread disappeared while I was in the process.

I am a UC Berkeley grad but I did not take the traditional route. As I understand the UC system will take the top 5% of high school graduates from within the state. The Cal State system has a much lower standard and is probably comparable to Bloomsburg or Lock Haven. But even if you don't get into a UC school and really want to go, there are other routes. UC Berkeley takes many transfers from community colleges, particularly Diablo Valley College. This is is an excellent community college. If you go there and take the appropriate classes for your major and have a high GPA (above 3.5), you are almost guaranteed a transfer to UC Berkeley...of course depending on the major. Myself and many others I know took this route.

Reactions: bjf1991
well........don't believe what you hear :), because its nonsense.

Your "info" is probably confusing the California State system, which all have tuition of about $6,000 per year ( https://www2.calstate.edu/ ) with other public universities in California (the UC system)

There are 20-some Universities in the Cal State system.

Some (like San Diego - largely because it is small, and has limited spots - and Long Beach) are more selective than others (like San Jose and Bakersfield)

Overall - the acceptance rates, system-wide, for both "in state" and "out of state" are FAR more inclusive than PSU (ie, a lot easier to gain acceptance.......around an 80% acceptance rate)

The UC System - Cal-Berkeley, UCLA, Cal-Irvine, Cal-Davis and a handful of others.......are much more expensive (though still WELL BELOW the tuition cost of PSU.....PSU is about 60% higher than even these "higher cost" California schools).
With various selectivity rates (from Berkeley and UCLA, which are extremely difficult, to Irvine and San Diego - which are somewhat more exclusive than PSU, and several that are on par with - or easier- to get into than PSU.

But comparing Cal-Berkeley and the like, to PSU's state system is like comparing UPenn to West Chester State.

Penn State's acceptance rates, of course, are driven up due to the ridiculous tuition costs........have to issue more acceptances in order to fill the quota, when the price is so high.

Penn State issues more "acceptances" than just about any University in the country (might be a few that accept more).
For example, PSU and UCLA have similar enrollments (number of kids choosing to accept the offer).....but PSU has to offer nearly twice as many kids to get those acceptances.

To be clear, you "info" on tuition is confusing who actually pays the tuition.
The UC system does not necessarily have lower "tuition" than PSU. It is just more heavily subsidized through tax dollars. This arrangement will generally increase costs since it is adding another market distortion to an already grossly distorted market, driven by cheap and plentiful loan money.

ADVERTISEMENT