ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestling: When David just had to slay Goliath at Nationals

There is a reason why there haven't been that many true freshman who have won NCAA titles. Even if you were the #1 recruit in your year, you're going up against the #1 recruits for the weight from previous years who have lots of college mat time to their advantage. Saying that Hall wasn't an underdog is ridiculous. While some predicted he would figure out how to win it all, there were just as many who thought he would lose to Epperly in the quarters and end up 5th or 6th.
Hall's finals opponent was also a #1 overall recruit, 4 years earlier.

Revisionist history to the max. Kind of funny how now that Hall and Bo won, they act like they were the favorites all along. Surprised he didn't go all in and include Cenzo as the favorite.
Two time National Champ IMAR who had only lost one match in his life... and hadn't been tested in another match other than last years final and he wasn't wrestling Jason Nolf again... but another Penn State RS freshman taught IMAR you're never out of it... when IMAR has to count lights one second at a time and didn't get to one thousand and two. Even as the Face of NCAA wrestling. Maybe the face of sheer disbelief... but not the Face of NCAA wrestling.

Last edited:

You asked for it... you got it. Great moment as Cael lifted "David"... I mean James English and he felt what it was like to be carried out as a victorious warrior.

A moment that brought tears to the eyes: A great great warrior, lifted off the mat in victory by the great great coach. A true Penn State man, Mr James English.

And that was no tomato can he beat, that was 4th seeded Kendrick Maple. What a moment.

I'm still trying to find that all star team that James made in high school, can someone help me out on that?

WAS NOT A STARTER UNTIL TWO FREAKING WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON ENDED.

Reactions: amalone and Reslo
What's even "more fun" is that we can even play the underdog card again next year, as many of the Hawk fans on this thread already think our guys aren't as good as the guys they just defeated.

Imagine coming over here and saying we can't have it both ways..... appears like some of them want it both ways.
It's really a compliment, only PSU underdogs are favorites to win!

All of those were basically toss ups except for Cenzo vs Imart.

You can't recruit an All Star team of #1 ranked recruits, boast about superior coaching and development then play this card.

Cant be both ways. Nobody is buying that David crap at this point.
Whatever helps you sleep. How much money would have put in Hall beating Zahid- Cenzo beating Imar-or Bo beating Dean. If you were honest with yourself these were all long shots.

This whole argument about rankings is silly. There isnt a hater out there that wouldnt switch us spots in a heart beat.

They hate only because they're jealous.

Respectfully, Spyker Jr.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
P.S. Hall over BoJo was not a long shot. Hall had his measure and was never in doubt about the eventual outcome. I've watched countless Hall matches that was just another day at the office.

A moment that brought tears to the eyes: A great great warrior, lifted off the mat in victory by the great great coach. A true Penn State man, Mr James English.

And that was no tomato can he beat, that was 4th seeded Kendrick Maple. What a moment.

I'm still trying to find that all star team that James made in high school, can someone help me out on that?

WAS NOT A STARTER UNTIL TWO FREAKING WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON ENDED.
Was there when he beat Pepplemen at regionals. Not many saw that coming either.

Malone troll level: Grandmaster.
I prefer the Pied Piper of Trolls. If you can be the Pied Piper of rats... can't you be the pied piper of trolls or Hawks. It's all the same... isn't it? Rats, trolls or Hawks? o_O

sz4uwKcLTj.jpg

Reactions: lionlover
P.S. Hall over BoJo was not a long shot. Hall had his measure and was never in doubt about the eventual outcome. I've watched countless Hall matches that was just another day at the office.
The only guy I feared in the bracket was Zahid. Not that Mark was a long shot against Zahid, but he was the underdog in my eyes. I considered the BoJo match a tossup.

The only guy I feared in the bracket was Zahid. Not that Mark was a long shot against Zahid, but he was the underdog in my eyes. I considered the BoJo match a tossup.
Hall is Kryptonite for Californians. He has knocked off IMar and Zahid and Anthony. Has he ever wrestled Pico?

Reactions: lionlover
Hall is Kryptonite for Californians. He has knocked off IMar and Zahid and Anthony. Has he ever wrestled Pico?
Eeesh I'm a diehard Hall fan but Hall v Pico sounds rough. And the rabbit Hall pulled out of his hat to win this match would be worth the stress.

Reactions: Dogwelder
All of those were basically toss ups except for Cenzo vs Imart.

You can't recruit an All Star team of #1 ranked recruits, boast about superior coaching and development then play this card.

Cant be both ways. Nobody is buying that David crap at this point.

@Ihawkd9times, Christioan Pyles was/is a HUGE Iowa fan. Check out what he had to say about the "#1 ranked recruits narrative."

Yes, you need talent to win. But Cael has proven he can develop the talent too. In other words, he is not a "one trick poney." (More like a Man o'War ;) without the one loss)

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...flip-the-psu-hate-and-ncaa-recap#.WNqmKfkrLIU

Reactions: amalone
Does this make me smart?
Sat. afternoon I told the guys I was with that Penn State could run the table from 149-184 and they all told me I was crazy..Really I did say then well only one that might lose will be Joesph. Job well done and congrats and hopefully next year some other dude can win one. ;);)

Does this make me smart?
Sat. afternoon I told the guys I was with that Penn State could run the table from 149-184 and they all told me I was crazy..Really I did say then well only one that might lose will be Joesph. Job well done and congrats and hopefully next year some other dude can win one. ;);)
Minnhawkeye, you're a goddamned genius! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
Does this make me smart?
It's never too late to be assimilated.;)

I respect the Iowa program a great deal and I was happy to see Cory Clark win a title, but the good will from that victory fades quickly when (some) Hawk fans continue to push this insufferable and meritless "Cael can't coach" narrative.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, that Cael can coach AND recruit? Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, it's conceivable to be both, right? Being good at one attribute does not automatically mean you are below average at another.

There's a reason that 'five-tool players' exist in baseball. They can do many things well! I believe the same concept applies here.

Yeah, or Alabama football.

Does this make me smart?
I'm with you on the bolded, underlined text. "Some other dude" as in Nick Suriano!! My hope is the other guys equal their performance ;).

Pico is used on "TheMat" as a tool for the Haters: Every time anyone, LITERALLY anyone wins a National Championship, one of the haters runs their little asses on to the message board to say "so and so" vs Pico, and all the haters jump in to say how Pico beats WHOEVER they insert from PSU.

Of course, the fact that Pico is literally done with wrestling and is now an MMA fighter, isn't stopping them. The desperation of the haters on themat, is second to none.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Pico is used on "TheMat" as a tool for the Haters: Every time anyone, LITERALLY anyone wins a National Championship, one of the haters runs their little asses on to the message board to say "so and so" vs Pico, and all the haters jump in to say how Pico beats WHOEVER they insert from PSU.

Of course, the fact that Pico is literally done with wrestling and is now an MMA fighter, isn't stopping them. The desperation of the haters on themat, is second to none.
The fact that Frank beat Pico still baffles those people

You asked for it... you got it. Great moment as Cael lifted "David"... I mean James English and he felt what it was like to be carried out as a victorious warrior.

Really wish Vollrath would of gotten a chance that year as well. Think he would of pulled off something similar at nationals.

Pico is used on "TheMat" as a tool for the Haters: Every time anyone, LITERALLY anyone wins a National Championship, ...
That sounds hilarious to me. We should be careful, it might make us LMAO our asses off ! ;)

My niece is roommates with James English's sister. When I found out I was so pumped and told her that her brother was a Penn State hero and legend. Such heart

ADVERTISEMENT