ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestling: When David just had to slay Goliath at Nationals

All of those were basically toss ups except for Cenzo vs Imart.

You can't recruit an All Star team of #1 ranked recruits, boast about superior coaching and development then play this card.

Cant be both ways. Nobody is buying that David crap at this point.

You can't recruit an All Star team of #1 ranked recruits, boast about superior coaching and development then play this card.

We are Penn State and at this point in wrestling history we can have it any way we want it.;)

Is beating Jimmy G a david vs goliath moment, the 30+ times it happened? He was the #3 rated recruit in 2012. Ill answer the question for you no it is not.

Rankings are purely a persons opinion of a kids HS success. That are wrong more than they are right by a significant factor if you take any multiple year look back.

I know this talking point of an "all star team" is the newest "cael cant coach" point but here in the real world, the perception of message board haters is not reality.

Is beating Jimmy G a david vs goliath moment, the 30+ times it happened? He was the #3 rated recruit in 2012. Ill answer the question for you no it is not.

Rankings are purely a persons opinion of a kids HS success. That are wrong more than they are right by a significant factor if you take any multiple year look back.

I know this talking point of an "all star team" is the newest "cael cant coach" point but here in the real world, the perception of message board haters is not reality.
It's Bael or Carl - get it right! :eek:

Basically toss ups?

Hall beat an UNDEFEATED Valencia that had the benefit of a redshirt year.

Gabe Dean was a TWO Time returning NCAA Champ against a wrestler that lost in last years finals.

Now admittedly the David and Goliath metaphor is hyperbole. But in reality, Hall and Bo were definitely underdogs. But, I can understand your pain and envy. After Cael retires, we PSU fans may one day feel like you Hawk fans.

Until then...

Is beating Jimmy G a david vs goliath moment, the 30+ times it happened? He was he #3 rated recruit in 2012. Ill answer the question for you no it is not.

No it wasn't a slight and it wasn't a cael cant coach jab. Cael can coach and develop but lets be real honest here, he's recruiting all star teams at this point. Every guy posted above was a top ten P4P guy. He isn't turning some underdog Buick into a Corvette. He is bringing in Corvettes and making sure they run to their potential.

David can not be a top 10 P4P guy. Pretty sure a David should be a 100 to unranked. Were Bubba and Dake a couple of David's then to Taylor's Goliath?

My whole point is don't pretend you were an underdog with #1 recruits.

No it wasn't a slight and it wasn't a cael cant coach jab. Cael can coach and develop but lets be real honest here, he's recruiting all star teams at this point. Every guy posted above was a top ten P4P guy. He isn't turning some underdog Buick into a Corvette. He is bringing in Corvettes and making sure they run to their potential.

David can not be a top 10 P4P guy. Pretty sure a David should be a 100 to unranked. Were Bubba and Dake a couple of David's then to Taylor's Goliath?

Which all star team was James English on, again?

Reactions: Dogwelder

Semantics pal, go back to your board and whine.

Basically toss ups?

Hall beat an UNDEFEATED Valencia that had the benefit of a redshirt year.

Gabe Dean was a TWO Time returning NCAA Champ against a wrestler that lost in last years finals.

Now admittedly the David and Goliath metaphor is hyperbole. But in reality, Hall and Bo were definitely underdogs. But, I can understand your pain and envy. After Cael retires, we PSU fans may one day feel like you Hawk fans.

Until then...

Hall was the wrestling version of Lebron coming out of high school or did you forget that?

Hall was the wrestling version of Lebron coming out of high school or did you forget that?
C'mon 9times, you are better than that. Hall was still a TRUE Freshmen (with multiple losses) going up against a former number 1 ranked REDSHIRT Freshmen who was undefeated.

Also, Lebron lost at Carver to a lesser wrestler. Do you remember THAT?!

As we know, Mathew McCoughnaghy and Tiger Woods drive Buicks ;)

Im picking up what you are laying down, but again more top P4P are misses than are makes. No matter the ranking means nothing against the back drop of the reality that Imar and dean are who they are. If we are to 100% subscribe to this we diminish what Imar and Dean have accomplished and that I dont think anyone would/should do. Plus if IMar comes back and wins 165 next season, isnt Cenzos win even bigger historically speaking?

As far as pretending to be an underdog, didnt we lose the Big only 2 weeks earlier?

Revisionist history to the max. Kind of funny how now that Hall and Bo won, they act like they were the favorites all along. Surprised he didn't go all in and include Cenzo as the favorite.

Reactions: amalone
I respect the Iowa program a great deal and I was happy to see Cory Clark win a title, but the good will from that victory fades quickly when (some) Hawk fans continue to push this insufferable and meritless "Cael can't coach" narrative.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, that Cael can coach AND recruit? Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, it's conceivable to be both, right? Being good at one attribute does not automatically mean you are below average at another.

There's a reason that 'five-tool players' exist in baseball. They can do many things well! I believe the same concept applies here.

Reactions: lionlover
There's a reason that 'five-tool players' exist in baseball. They can do many things well! I believe the same concept applies here.
That's a great analogy because baseball is awash with "5 tool" guys who didn't pan out.

Often it's because tools (raw athletic abilities) =/= skills. Fastball speed is a tool, repeatable accuracy is a skill. Power is a tool, pitch selection/plate discipline is a skill.

Skill development in any sport requires coaching.

I respect the Iowa program a great deal and I was happy to see Cory Clark win a title, but the good will from that victory fades quickly when (some) Hawk fans continue to push this insufferable and meritless "Cael can't coach" narrative.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, that Cael can coach AND recruit? Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, it's conceivable to be both, right? Being good at one attribute does not automatically mean you are below average at another.

don't you know that when iowa had their runs, it was all done with walk-ons who gable coached up. never had a recruit ranked higher than # 40 in the glory days:rolleyes:.

I actually liked the OP, but lean towards ihawkd9times about the David vs Goliath comparison. It was a good post and I like the videos though.
Ihawkd9times went too far with the underdog reference though. As others have pointed out, #1 recruit doesn't equal #1 anything until they earn it. Would be interested what the Vegas odds of the three "underdogs" were in their finals matches.
It's hard not to be biased sometimes, but I honestly didn't think Hall, or Joseph would win. Even though Nickal was also an underdog I personally felt he was going to win. So any person that posts otherwise just comes off salty, don't be salty. =D

There is a reason why there haven't been that many true freshman who have won NCAA titles. Even if you were the #1 recruit in your year, you're going up against the #1 recruits for the weight from previous years who have lots of college mat time to their advantage. Saying that Hall wasn't an underdog is ridiculous. While some predicted he would figure out how to win it all, there were just as many who thought he would lose to Epperly in the quarters and end up 5th or 6th.

ADVERTISEMENT