ADVERTISEMENT

PSU wrestling alum wins award

The fact that there are no comments on this post tells me how little the folks on this form understand about PSU's past

The fact that there are no comments on this post tells me how little the folks on this form understand about PSU's past
Shawn was pretty darn good. If memory serves correctly he wrestled at 126 early in his career because Prescott was at 118 and was an AA. He wrestled 118 all next year until Prescott dropped after the last dual and he did not place.

Most memorable might be his brief team suspension for riding luggage conveyor at an airport.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The 1993 and 1994 teams were right there competing for the National Championship. Something like 20-0-1 in 1993 and placed 2nd to Iowa. I think if we hadn't had so many injuries / academic issues in 1994, we would have won it as it was a wide open field and we were returning a boatload of talent. Nelson was highly ranked, got hurt, and didn't wrestle again (I think). Josh Robbins who had placed 2nd the year before was academically ineligible (again from memory). Troxell hurt. Others out too. Just a bad luck year or we win. Loads of talent on that team. Believe Shawn Nelson was an AA as a Sophomore but then battled all sorts of injuries.

Congratulations to Shawn! I remember always enjoying watching him wrestle--very talented. He came in 4th in 1992, but should have been a multiple AA. One important part of several years of very talented PSU teams in the early 90's. I love seeing how phenomenal PSU is doing now, but PSU wrestling didn't start in 2009. :)

Reactions: matter7172
The 1993 and 1994 teams were right there competing for the National Championship. Something like 20-0-1 in 1993 and placed 2nd to Iowa. I think if we hadn't had so many injuries / academic issues in 1994, we would have won it as it was a wide open field and we were returning a boatload of talent. Nelson was highly ranked, got hurt, and didn't wrestle again (I think). Josh Robbins who had placed 2nd the year before was academically ineligible (again from memory). Troxell hurt. Others out too. Just a bad luck year or we win. Loads of talent on that team. Believe Shawn Nelson was an AA as a Sophomore but then battled all sorts of injuries.

Oy! I was at that one. Plus, Kolat lost in the semis in OT (as did Abe). Troxell had already been replaced by Kerry McCoy, who won his first title. Russ Hughes lost in the first round and dnp.

Oy! I was at that one. Plus, Kolat lost in the semis in OT (as did Abe). Troxell had already been replaced by Kerry McCoy, who won his first title. Russ Hughes lost in the first round and dnp.
I was at those NCAA's too--1994 at North Carolina. Back then a college field house could hold the tournament. Kolat lost to TJ Jaworsky as I recall in that semifinal OT bout. That was McCoy's first year up at Hwt. He had only gone 19-17 as a FR 190 pounder and underwent an incredible metamorphosis. He actually looked weak at 190 (must have pulled a lot of weight), but sure didn't look weak at Hwt!! He would only lose one bout in 3 years at Hwt (a very controversial semifinal loss to UNI's Greenlee his Jr year).

I was at those NCAA's too--1994 at North Carolina. Back then a college field house could hold the tournament. Kolat lost to TJ Jaworsky as I recall in that semifinal OT bout. That was McCoy's first year up at Hwt. He had only gone 19-17 as a FR 190 pounder and underwent an incredible metamorphosis. He actually looked weak at 190 (must have pulled a lot of weight), but sure didn't look weak at Hwt!! He would only lose one bout in 3 years at Hwt (a very controversial semifinal loss to UNI's Greenlee his Jr year).

Me too! I believe Kolat lost to Babek Mohammedi (sp?) in the semi-finals. He had lost to TJ the year before in the finals. Kolat definitely had every opportunity to be a 4x champ. Was up something like 4-1 with riding time against Jaworsky. Never ever should have lost the semi-final match against Mohammedi either ... didn't look like himself in that match.

So right about McCoy. The transformation was incredible!

Me too! I believe Kolat lost to Babek Mohammedi (sp?) in the semi-finals. He had lost to TJ the year before in the finals. Kolat definitely had every opportunity to be a 4x champ. Was up something like 4-1 with riding time against Jaworsky. Never ever should have lost the semi-final match against Mohammedi either ... didn't look like himself in that match.

So right about McCoy. The transformation was incredible!
Aah, yes. Thanks for the correction. I got those 2 years confused. I had forgotten about Mohammedi. He was from Oregon St wasn't he? I agree that Kolat could very well have been a 4-time champ--he was certainly good enough! A phenomenal talent!

ADVERTISEMENT