ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer.....drive to the Championship

for those interested, they just kicked off to start the game, and the video stream is working well.

wsoc-big-ten-champs-splash-17.jpg

And PSU's scores again at @10:34 into the game, to put them up 2-0. PSU had a corner, the ball got kicked around after a header, and a PSU player put it in from within the penalty box.

Reactions: hlstone
Another PSU goal, at @ 17:35 into the game, to put them up 3-0. Stony Brook has only crossed midfield a handle of times this game. PSU just has too much speed, talent, etc.

Announcers mentioned that PSU is 8-0 in R1 games of NCAA (not sure if that's all-time, or their last 8), with no goals given up in those 8 games.

Frannie Crouse with a header off of a corner kick at @ 32:22 makes it 4-0, PSU.

PSU making a lot of substitutions during the match.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Laura Freigang with the hat trick @ 35:55, to make it 5-0. A nice assist by Megan Tagliaferri (sp?)

One of the goals I awarded PSU must not have crossed the line (I wasn't watching at the time, so I'm not sure), so the score is actually 4-0, PSU

After 45 minutes of play (end of the 1st half), PSU is up 4-0. Based on the first half play, I don't see any chance that Stony Brook can get back in this game. I don't believe they had a shot the entire 1st half. The closest they got was a cross into the goal area -- the only time PSU's GK had to use her hands.

Tom tell the girls to save some goals for the next game.:)

This is a bit of a stunner. As talented as PSU's players and team are/is, they have had a tough time scoring goals in several matches this year. Perhaps this will help them to break out of their mold, though I fear it's more a case of Stony Brook not having the talent to stay with PSU.

Charlotte Williams with a goal from close in @ the 67:57 mark. I believe this is the most goals PSU has scored in a game all season.

PSU switched GKs at the half.

Stony Brook has played somewhat better in the 2nd half, but hasn't really threatened. And just as I key that in, Stony Brook got a corner, but didn't do very much with it.

Frankie Tagliaferri with a goal off a nice pass from Brittany Bassinger, with @ 6 minutes left to play. PSU's up 6-0.

PSU with a 3-2 break, and Frankie Tagliaferri scores unassisted. (I kept thinking she would pass it off, and perhaps the GK did as well.) PSU up 7-0, with @ 5:30 left in the game.

And that's a wrap, as PSU wins 7-0. They advance to R2 of NCAAs, to play the winner of the Georgetown - Wake Forest R1 match (that contest is currently in OT).

Reactions: TheGLOV
to play the winner of the Georgetown - Wake Forest R1 match (that contest is currently in OT).

that match went 2 OTs, with neither team scoring. In NCAAs, there has to be a winner, so the teams went to PKs. Wake Forest won the PK battle, 2-1, to advance to R2.

Reactions: hlstone
the Round 3 contest between PSU and Wake Forest will take place on Friday, Nov. 17th, at 4 pm at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium, in Morgantown, WV. WVU will take on Rutgers the same day/location, at 7 pm. The winners of the two matches will meet on Sunday, Nov. 19th, at 5 pm at the same soccer stadium.

WVU strikes 1st, off of a corner, at the 34 minute mark. Attacker took a strike from just outside the penalty box, and there was all kinds of traffic in front of PSU's net. Surprisingly, neither a PSU defender nor the GK touched the ball.

Both teams have played well in the 1st half. PSU has seemed to control the ball more, but they gave up 2 corners, one of which cost them.

PSU responds at the 38 minute mark, to make it 1-1!

PSU gave up a corner with just over a minute left of the head, and WVU got a nice header off the corner, but PSU's GK with the save.

and there's the whistle, so PSU takes a 2-1 lead into the half

WVU was dominating things early in the 2nd half. However, on a nice counter Ball carried the ball out of the penalty area over the half, and then made a perfect pass to Crouse who ripped a low shot to the far post for a goal at the 55 minute mark. PSU up 3-1.

WVU is moving everyone up to push the offense, and try to a goal. PSU is under siege, but they are playing strong D around the goal.

About 6 minutes left in the game.

Great game by the gals as they top WVU 3-1. Much like the women's field hockey team, the Nits will take on the #1 seed (in this case, Stanford) for the right to advance to the Final Four (FH lost to UConn who beat Maryland for the national championship earlier today). The gals have the talent to win, but having to travel to Palo Alto for the game won't help matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT