ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer.....drive to the Championship

A reminder that PSU's women's soccer team takes on NW tonight, at 7 pm EDT. The game will be shown on BTN

PSU dominated NW. The final score was 3-0, and that doesn't fully define just how well PSU played. Their spacing was excellent, their speed and touch was top notch. PSU substituted very liberally in the 2nd half, and their young talent looked pretty good, though not quite as polished as the starters.

It's dangerous to draw too many conclusions from a single game. PSU appears to have a roster that could go very far in NCAAs this season.

Looked like we were playing about 11 on 9 the entire night. Lots of how high pressure, dominated the midfield, and the back line was rarely tested. This year's squad is really good.

Reactions: Judge Smails
They really looked spectacular. I like the Northwestern coach saying his team hadn't seen such a combination of speed and technical ability.

PSU dropped a conference match on Saturday, when they were @ Ohio State. The final was 0-1, Ohio State. This dropped PSU below tOSU in the B1G standings. CLICK HERE for a Daily Collegian article about the match.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hope they are building towards the post season as we go along here, because they haven't dominated like I thought they would based on the talent they were getting back from the National Team.

I was looking at their future recruiting. They really are going all over the country for top players.

2018 Class
- 7 members
- they are from NJ, GA, IN, MI, CO, and TX
- they have 1 F, 3 MF, 2 D, and 1 GK
- I've seen 3 of them play, and those 3 are really good players

2019 Class
- 6 members
- they are from NY (2), NJ, MA, CO, and CA
- they have 1 F, 3 MF, 1 D, and 1 GK
- I've seen 4 of them play, and each of them stood out on elite club teams
- 5 of them have US National Team experience or US National Team camp experience
- the MF from CA is crazy good

2020 Class
- 5 members
- they are from PA, MD, VA (2), and MN
- they have 2 F, 3 MF
- I've seen 2 of them play, and both are very, very good
- the MF from MD is crazy good
- I'm not sure if this class is completed. The new recruiting rules have changed early contact between colleges and recruits

2021 Class
- 1 member (so far)
- from NY
- a F
- I've seen her play, and she's quite a force on offense

So far they've struggled more than projected, and I have an unsubstantiated sense that team chemistry just isn't quite right yet. With five returning from the USWNT, mostly supplanting those who filled in for them last year, there may be some issues around roles this year.

So far they've struggled more than projected, and I have an unsubstantiated sense that team chemistry just isn't quite right yet. With five returning from the USWNT, mostly supplanting those who filled in for them last year, there may be some issues around roles this year.

Got two victories over the weekend. Winning cures a lot!

just a heads up that this Thursday (10/12), the PSU - Rutgers match will be shown live on BTN at 7 pm EDT. Alas, I have a schedule conflict, so I'll miss the match

From the box score, it appears that PSU - Rutgers ended in a 0-0 tie.
It did, in double overtime. I checked their women's site and they have played 15 matches, are 9-2-4, but even with the 2 losses, the total goals scored by Rutgers opponents in those 15 matches is only 5.

Reactions: hlstone
Purdue went up 2-1. PSU tied it, 2-2, with 3:43 left in regulation. They played 2 OTs, and ended in a 2-2 tie.

WSOC at Rutgers this weekend

Regular season match at Rutgers was 0-0 in 2 (OTs)? The Rutger's fans are the most vile posters on the Internet when it comes to PSU. Beat the living snot out of them Ladies.

WSOC at Rutgers this weekend

Disappointing ending to the regular season, as PSU fell to Wisconsin on Wed. evening, 0-1. As such, they slipped to the #5 seed in the B1G tourney (way below their norm), and take on #4 Rutgers @ Piscataway this Sunday, in the quarters of the B1G tourney.

PSU finished the regular season 10-4-3, and 6-2-3 in the B1G.

The regular season B1G standings were:

1. Ohio State (14-3-1, 9-2 in the B1G)
2. Minny (11-4-3, 7-3-1 in the B1G)
3. NW (10-6-2, 7-3-1 in the B1G)
4. Rutgers (12-2-4, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
5. PSU (10-4-3, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
6. Wisky (12-4-2, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
7. Purdue (10-6-2, 5-4-2 in the B1G)
8. Nebraska (9-5-5, 3-3-5 in the B1G)
9. Iowa (9-7-2, 4-5-2 in the B1G)
10. Michigan (6-6-6, 3-5-3 in the B1G)
11. Indy (6-9-4, 2-6-3 in the B1G)
12. MSU (6-11-1, 2-8-1 in the B1G)
13. Illini (5-14-0, 2-9-0 in the B1G)
14. Maryland (7-8-3, 1-8-2 in the B1G)

If PSU defeats Rutgers in the B1G quarters, they should face Ohio State in the semis.

Disappointing ending to the regular season, as PSU fell to Wisconsin on Wed. evening, 0-1. As such, they slipped to the #5 seed in the B1G tourney (way below their norm), and take on #4 Rutgers @ Piscataway this Sunday, in the quarters of the B1G tourney.

PSU finished the regular season 10-4-3, and 6-2-3 in the B1G.

The regular season B1G standings were:

1. Ohio State (14-3-1, 9-2 in the B1G)
2. Minny (11-4-3, 7-3-1 in the B1G)
3. NW (10-6-2, 7-3-1 in the B1G)
4. Rutgers (12-2-4, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
5. PSU (10-4-3, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
6. Wisky (12-4-2, 6-2-3 in the B1G)
7. Purdue (10-6-2, 5-4-2 in the B1G)
8. Nebraska (9-5-5, 3-3-5 in the B1G)
9. Iowa (9-7-2, 4-5-2 in the B1G)
10. Michigan (6-6-6, 3-5-3 in the B1G)
11. Indy (6-9-4, 2-6-3 in the B1G)
12. MSU (6-11-1, 2-8-1 in the B1G)
13. Illini (5-14-0, 2-9-0 in the B1G)
14. Maryland (7-8-3, 1-8-2 in the B1G)

If PSU defeats Rutgers in the B1G quarters, they should face Ohio State in the semis.

Paula Wilkins has been a thorn ever since she left. I could never understand why she left for a team (UW) that was less than stellar. Lots of rumors, but never any hard facts. She seems to get her teams motivated to play PSU. She has built UW's program on Canadian recruits. Much like WVU.

As such, they slipped to the #5 seed in the B1G tourney (way below their norm), and take on #4 Rutgers @ Piscataway this Sunday, in the quarters of the B1G tourney.

The two teams were scoreless through regular time, and the OTs. The match went to PKs, and PSU won on PKs, 4-3.

Rutgers was kicking first. Here's how the sequence on PKs went:

K1: R - made, PSU - made; 1-1
K2: R - blocked, PSU - made; 1-2
K3: R - made, PSU - blocked; 2-2
K4: R - blocked, PSU - made; 2-3
K5: R - made, PSU - missed; 3-3
K6: R - missed; PSU - made; 4-3

Top seeded tOSU is currently playing Iowa. The match is scoreless at this time. The winner of the match will play PSU on 11/3 at 1 pm EDT (shown on tape delay that night at 9:30 pm EDT).

Top seeded tOSU is currently playing Iowa. The match is scoreless at this time. The winner of the match will play PSU on 11/3 at 1 pm EDT (shown on tape delay that night at 9:30 pm EDT).

tOSU and Iowa were tied 1-1 after regulation time. It was scoreless thru the 1st OT, but tOSU scored off of a corner (well, technically it was a corner that was cleared by Iowa, and a shot off the clear from 30 yards out) in the 2nd OT.

So it will be PSU facing tOSU on Friday. They will play at Grand Park, which is located in Westfield, Indiana. That is a huge sports complex (it's around 400 acres).

Reactions: Bylion
I watched the PSU game today, for the most part of the second half, the ball was on the Rutgers side but PSU could not materialized. They need a terminator.

So it will be PSU facing tOSU on Friday. They will play at Grand Park, which is located in Westfield, Indiana. That is a huge sports complex (it's around 400 acres).

quick update -- the two teams were scoreless through regulation. they were scoreless through the 1st OT. PSU scored with 42 seconds left in the 2nd OT, and took down the #1 seed, Ohio State.

It appeared that they were going to PKs, but a nice pass, and a nice shot for the winner!

quick update -- the two teams were scoreless through regulation. they were scoreless through the 1st OT. PSU scored with 42 seconds left in the 2nd OT, and took down the #1 seed, Ohio State.

It appeared that they were going to PKs, but a nice pass, and a nice shot for the winner!

PSU really dominated. Think the final stats were:
Shots: PSU 23, OSU 8
Shots on Goal: PSU 9, OSU 0

Thanks for the updates and the good,I mean great, news! Keep on keeping on, ladies!

PSU really dominated. Think the final stats were:
Shots: PSU 23, OSU 8
Shots on Goal: PSU 9, OSU 0

was a strange game, and the stats reflect it. tOSU seemed to be OK with PSU moving the ball, and getting shots, as long as the shots were taken from a long distance out. Basically, tOSU was gambling that they could keep PSU from scoring, and would have an opportunity to win a low-scoring game on a counter. That's not an uncommon soccer technique, but it's usually executed by a team that feels they can't compete with their opponent straight-up on talent. tOSU played pretty well this season (they were ranked #9 heading into the game, and PSU was ranked #15), so I didn't expect them to employ that strategy.

The winning score was a thing of beauty. Williford collected the ball along the touchline in her defensive end (about half-way between the center line and the goal line), and sent a long pass to Freigang who was streaking toward the goal. tOSU had 2 defenders around Freigang, but she was able to collect the ball, give it one or two touches, and launch a low, hard shot to the corner of the tOSU goal. As an added twist, there was a PSU player in front of Freigang (I didn't get the name or number), who leapt in the air as Freigang shot so that the ball would not hit her (I'm not sure if that player was offsides or not).

The GameTracker stats show it as:

Shots: PSU - 24, tOSU - 4
Saves: PSU - 0, tOSU - 8

Reactions: Judge Smails
In the other semi, NW defeated Wisky, 2-1, in 2 OTs.

PSU plays NW for the B1G Tourney title on Sunday (11/5) at 2 pm. The game will be broadcast on BTN.

Reactions: psu 83
In the B1G Tourney Championship game, PSU rallied to defeat NW, 2-1.

The game was delayed a good bit by severe weather. NW scored in the 1st half, and had the lead at halftime, 0-1.

Freigang got an equalizer with 19:28 left in the game. Haleigh Echard got the game winner with 11:42 left in the game.

Laura Freigang was named the Offensive Player of the B1G Tournament, and PSU's Kaleigh Riehl was named the Defensive Player of the B1G Tournament.

I believe it's the 7th B1G Tournament that PSU women's soccer has won.

On to NCAAs!

In the B1G Tourney Championship game, PSU rallied to defeat NW, 2-1.

The game was delayed a good bit by severe weather. NW scored in the 1st half, and had the lead at halftime, 0-1.

Freigang got an equalizer with 19:28 left in the game. Haleigh Echard got the game winner with 11:42 left in the game.

Laura Freigang was named the Offensive Player of the B1G Tournament, and PSU's Kaleigh Riehl was named the Defensive Player of the B1G Tournament.

I believe it's the 7th B1G Tournament that PSU women's soccer has won.

On to NCAAs!
Tom, any idea if there are any replays or highlight videos out there? Tried to watch yesterday and after the weather delay they moved it indoors and there was no coverage on BTN. Were there no cameras indoors?

Tom, any idea if there are any replays or highlight videos out there? Tried to watch yesterday and after the weather delay they moved it indoors and there was no coverage on BTN. Were there no cameras indoors?

I looked at BTN for replays, initially they had 3 hours or so, mostly of watching rain. They then cut it to only the first half. I would really like to watch the second half as well...

good stuff, 8286. I knew the selection show was this afternoon, but didn't have a chance to view it.

Stanford, UNC, Duke, and South Carolina got the 4 #1 seeds in their respective brackets.

UCF, Texas A&M, UCLA, and West Virginia got the 4 #2 seeds in their respective brackets.

PSU, UVA, Florida, and USC got the 4 #3 seeds in their respective brackets.

In PSU's bracket, Stanford is the #1 seed, WVU is the #2 seed, PSU is the #3 seed, and FSU is the #4 seed. PSU will host Stony Brook in R1 (Friday, 11/10, @ 7:30 pm). If they win that, they will face the winner of the Georgetown - Wake Forest R1 match. If they win that, they'll advance to R3, where they will most likely meet WVU, though Rutgers is also in that part of the bracket. PSU lost to WVU earlier this year (1-2), tied Rutgers during the regular season, then beat them on PKs in the B1G tournament. PSU did not face Stony Brook, Georgetown, or Wake Forest during the regular season.

64 teams make the NCAA D1 women's soccer tournament.

PSU hosts Stony Brook in a R1 game of the NCAAs Friday nite, at 7:30. For those in State College for homecoming, go cheer on PSU.

For those not in the State College area, the game will be live streamed at THIS LINK.

ADVERTISEMENT