ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer.....drive to the Championship

Do we have everyone back from the U20s and such (don't know the exact details of what happened last year)

I watched the end of the first half and the beginning of the second. I thought BYU looked like the better team. Penn State was struggling to get the ball out of its end.

Think you were watching the wrong game, or had the teams confused.

Do we have everyone back from the U20s and such (don't know the exact details of what happened last year)

FOR CLUB AND COUNTRY
The 2017 Penn State women's soccer roster is bolstered with numerous Nittany Lions with national team experience with their respective countries.

Last fall, six Nittany Lions competed at the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, as five Penn Staters represented the United States and Laura Freigang was a member of the German National Team. For the United States, Rose Chandler, Maddie Elliston, Ellie Jean, Emily Ogle, and Kaleigh Riehl donned the Red, White, & Blue.

Along with the Penn State presence at the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, a handful of Nittany Lions have taken part in competitions/training camps for their respective national teams at different age levels since the start of the calendar year.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081717aae.html

THE POLLS
Heading into the season, Penn State is No. 1 in the TopDrawerSoccer poll and No. 3 in the Soccer America poll.

WELCOME BACK
The Nittany Lions return 22 letterwinners to the program for the 2017 season, including seven starters from the 2015 College Cup Final.

Of the 108 points tallied as a team last season, the Penn State offense returns 97 of those points. Offensively last season, Frannie Crouse paced the Nittany Lions with 27 points on a Big Ten-best 12 goals and she added three assists. In addition to Crouse, Megan Schafer posted 17 points on six goals and five assists, while Charlotte Williamsnetted 16 points on six goals and four assists.

Reactions: Bob78
Think you were watching the wrong game, or had the teams confused.

I saw BYU tie the game early in the second half after missing on a handful of good chances. I had to turn the game off after that. I watched around 15 minutes total. I expected to see Penn State outclass BYU and for that period of time Penn State was on its heels.

I saw BYU tie the game early in the second half after missing on a handful of good chances. I had to turn the game off after that. I watched around 15 minutes total. I expected to see Penn State outclass BYU and for that period of time Penn State was on its heels.

And then won 3-1. Another fluke, armpunt victory.

Reactions: LionJim and Ski
I'm guessing the coach is still trying to decide how to have the team gel. They were very passive in the start of the second half with very few players committed on offense. After byu scored psu started to really press forward and overwhelmed byu from about 10 minutes into the second half to the end of the game.

The head coach and an assistant watched the game up by the press box for the first 10 minutes or so of the second half.

Reactions: 1PSU1
PSU faced their toughest test of the season on Saturday night, against West Virginia. The weather conditions were lousy.

PSU came out on the short side of the score, falling 2-1 to WVU

CLICK HERE for an article about the match

Reactions: TheGLOV
WVU has always been a pain in the patoot.

women's soccer has established quite a rivalry with WVU. I believe that WVU has defeated/upset PSU a few times in postseason NCAA WSOC games.

I'm friends with a former PSU men's soccer player. All of his daughter's played soccer, and got D1 scholarships. Alas, none of them were recruited by PSU. One of the daughters played for WVU, and through her I learned just how heated the rivalry was between the two teams.

PSU faced their toughest test of the season on Saturday night, against West Virginia. The weather conditions were lousy.

PSU came out on the short side of the score, falling 2-1 to WVU

CLICK HERE for an article about the match

Another write-up with video.

http://wvusports.com/news/2017/9/2/womens-soccer-no-6-mountaineers-run-past-no-1-penn-state.aspx

Weather conditions: Actually, not that bad Tom. Sure it rained occasionally through out the match but both WVU goals were not allowed due to poor weather conditions. Rain s apart of the game. They simply outplayed our girls.

women's soccer has established quite a rivalry with WVU. I believe that WVU has defeated/upset PSU a few times in postseason NCAA WSOC games.

I'm friends with a former PSU men's soccer player. All of his daughter's played soccer, and got D1 scholarships. Alas, none of them were recruited by PSU. One of the daughters played for WVU, and through her I learned just how heated the rivalry was between the two teams.

This seems to apply to all of PSU's former rivals. I think Penn State players don't always appreciate the animosity those teams still have.

unfortunately, #5 PSU fell to #8 UVA, @ Charlottesville, on Sunday, by a 3-2 score.

Phoebe McClernon, a defender for UVA, got the game winner at the 62nd minute on a free kick. I saw her play a few times when she was in high school -- she was a very good player.

PSU played a rather elite OOC schedule to start off the season. They went 2-2 against ranked teams, and are 4-2 as they head into B1G play. They next take on NW on Thursday. The game is at PSU, and will also be broadcast on BTN at 7 pm.

PSU is currently ranked 6th in the Top Drawer Soccer poll. I believe the next NCAA poll comes out tomorrow. It's still somewhat early in the season, but Rutgers, Wisconsin (who beat UVA 2 weeks ago) and Ohio State appear to be the biggest conference challengers to PSU this year.

unfortunately, #5 PSU felt to #8 UVA, @ Charlottesville, on Sunday, by a 3-2 score.

Phoebe McClernon, a defender for UVA, got the game winner at the 62nd minute on a free kick. I saw her play a few times when she was in high school -- she was a very good player.

PSU played a rather elite OOC schedule to start off the season. They went 2-2 against ranked teams, and are 4-2 as they head into B1G play. They next take on NW on Thursday. The game is at PSU, and will also be broadcast on BTN at 7 pm.

PSU is currently ranked 6th in the Top Drawer Soccer poll. I believe the next NCAA poll comes out tomorrow. It's still somewhat early in the season, but Rutgers, Wisconsin (who beat UVA 2 weeks ago) and Ohio State appear to be the biggest conference challengers to PSU this year.

Was UVA at UW? If so, demonstrates how much of an advantage home field is to ranked teams.

Was UVA at UW? If so, demonstrates how much an advantage home field is to ranked teams.

No, they played @ Charlottesville. Wisky won the game, 1-0.

UVA has also played a competitive OOC schedule. In addition to playing PSU, they were at WVU (and won, 2-1), hosted Wisconsin (and lost, 0-1), and hosted UCLA (and lost 1-2)

Wisconsin is coached by former PSU coach Paula Wilkins.

ADVERTISEMENT