ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer 2019 thread

cary-north-carolina.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sofia Mancino - 5'-4 D 2021 3 Star by TDS Holmdel, New Jersey
sofia-mancino.jpg

Mancino has the ability to get up the field and help in the offensive third. Scored 4 goals her junior year from her defender position. One of five players in a solid 2021 PSU WSOC recruiting class. Looks like the 2021 class is set. Unless a transfer or international were to be brought in.

Last edited:
Jilly Shimkin - 5'-4 M 2021 5 Stars TDS Rockville Centre, New York
shimkin.jpg[

Shimkin is one of the top WSOC players in the 2021 class. A magician with the ball, has rostered with the U-15 and U-17 USWNT. The top player in this PSU WSOC 2021 class.

Julia Raich - 5'-6 M 2021 3 Stars TDS Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
julia-raich.jpg

Raich is a rising 3 star and was an TDS All-American. Raich is a 4 sport athlete who besides soccer, also plays basketball for Camp Hill, runs Track & Field and cross country. Won a gold medal in the PIAA 4X400 relay and earned 12 medals altogether her freshman year in all 4 sports. Raich, will go down as one of the best all-around athletes in PIAA girls sports history. An uber talented soccer player.
Some game highlights of Julia Raich doing her soccer thing. She wears #7. Looks like PSU reserving #7 for Raich.....I would.

Last edited:
raich.jpg

Julia Raich - 5'-6 MF 2021 PSU WSOC commit scored 1 goal and dished out 3 assists in Camp Hill girls soccers 5-0 win over Trnity High School in the first match of the 2020-2021 season. Raich scored 23 goals as a sophomore and 42 goals her junior season at Camp Hill. She has scored 66 goals in just 39 soccer matches to date in her high school career. Raich, a rising senior was selected by Top Drawer Soccer to their 2019 All-American Second Team and one of the top 24 players in the country, which means she should get her 4th. star in the near future.

I see where a certain PSU WSOC player has been practicing & scrimmaging sans pink head bandana. Perhaps a sign of things to come this upcoming season?

ICYM: The 2020-2021 NCAA D1 WSOC tournament will have a reduced field. Instead of the usual 64 teams, there will only be a 48 team field. So a 5-0 record needed to be Natty Champs. Usually a team needs to go 6-0. There are 31 automatic bids and so only 17 at-large bids. In case PSU WSOC doesn't win the B1G regular or the B1G tournament...they most likely will need to finish no lower than 3rd. in the 14 team B1G conference. Less room for error. A 4th. place B1G might qualify, but PSU does not want to go there.

If PSU can finish in the top 4 teams nationally RPI wise, then they would get to play their first 3 NCAA tourney games at Jeffrey Field. So squad would only need to go 3-0 at home to qualify for the College Cup (Final 4). PSU will have to get creative with the non-conference schedule as ACC , SEC and B1g 12 (think West Virginia) are all playing this fall. PAC-12 teams could be scheduled, so maybe a rematch with Stanford, and possibly games against UCLA and USC too.

WSOC needs to start winning their MARQUEE non-conference soccer matches. They have not done that the past few years. Huge boost to their RPI rating by doing so. Again, the top 4 teams in D1 WSOC will get to play the first 3 rounds of the NCAA tournament at home. Much easier path than they tried to take last year for instance Playing #1 Stanford @ Stanford in the Round of 16 is almost suicidal.....OUCH!!!

Very sad news. Penn State's Sophomore Goalkeeper, Julia Dohle, had to medically retire from soccer due to a very serious and rare heart condition. She was a Youth National Team Goalkeeper and seen as the future Goalkeeper at Penn State. My hearts and prayers go out to Julia, her family, and her friends.

Very sad news. Penn State's Sophomore Goalkeeper, Julia Dohle, had to medically retire from soccer due to a very serious and rare heart condition. She was a Youth National Team Goalkeeper and seen as the future Goalkeeper at Penn State. My hearts and prayers go out to Julia, her family, and her friends.

Is there something preventing a WSOC 2020 thread?

it's a board tradition that I, or someone else, starts a PSU "SPORT" YEAR thread (not for every sport). That thread generally is used to discuss that sport until the following season. 2020 has seen a number of abnormal events, including the spring B1G sports being canceled, and the fall B1G sports mostly being postponed. As such, the 2019 threads for MLAX, WLAX, WVB, and Women's Soccer are still being used. When the respective sports have a season, a board thread for the team/its season, will be generated.

I'm not sure why he sent it to me as a Report, and didn't just post it, but @ParkAvenueSoccer indicated:

Jill Shimkin the Class of 2021 5 star is an early enrollee. Maria Fjolnisdottir the freshmen from Iceland is no longer listed on the roster and of course Shea Moyer is forgoing her last year of eligibility and has graduated.

I'm not sure why he sent it to me as a Report, and didn't just post it, but @ParkAvenueSoccer indicated:

Jill Shimkin the Class of 2021 5 star is an early enrollee. Maria Fjolnisdottir the freshmen from Iceland is no longer listed on the roster and of course Shea Moyer is forgoing her last year of eligibility and has graduated.
Does anyone know why the freshman from Iceland left the team?

Too early to start a 2020 thread? Or is a 2021 thread more appropriate?
I'm pretty close to starting a 2020 thread. I've been holding off because 1) there haven't really been many (or any) articles about the team, and 2) to some extent it remains to be seen if they will have a season.

It's only July. The aforementioned issues will hopefully resolve themselves, and when they do I'll start a 2020 thread.

Is it still too early?

Is it still too early?

what's the rush? They still don't have a schedule.

I typically keep the previous season thread as the active one, until a schedule is released. I didn't create the new WVB thread until their schedule was released a few weeks ago.

Kat Asman pictured with Katie Evans is listed as being 5'-10 tall...you can tell from that one picture that Evans is substantially shorter than Asman. In the 5'-6 range tops. Had no idea that Evans was that short.
she's a regular Tino Lettieri

Edit because I misunderstood what you wrote and Kat Asman is indeed a couple inches taller than Mr Lettieri

Last edited:
FWIW, the minimum player salary per year in the NWSL is $20,000. and the maximum salary is $50,000. per year. The pay is better in Europe which is most likely why Catarina Macario signed to play with Olympique Lyonnais in France.

The pay is better in Europe for top stars on certain teams, not across the board. Most, perhaps all, of the European leagues do not have a minimum salary. The top players are paid well, but the rank & file are not.

The NWSL teams also have the option of using allocation money to pay certain players more than the $50,000 max. The best source of money for US players is from being on the USNational team. Normally, there is a limit on how many USWNT players can be playing abroad but the rule was temporarily waived because of COVID.

It's sad and unfair that professional women soccer players here and abroad don't make anything close overall to what their male counterparts make. Hopefully in time the pay gap won't be so big as it is currently.

Sad, perhaps, but I don’t think you can call it unfair when women’s soccer does not generate anywhere near the revenue as men’s soccer does across the board. Salaries are always tied to revenue in any league.

ADVERTISEMENT