ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer 2019 thread

While this looks like a good addition for the team, I bet the announcers around the BIG are cringing. . . .

Sounds like Maria picked Penn State over Florida State (and no doubt many other schools) and I guess she doesn't speak English. Anyone know how to translate this video into English?
Signed her NLI on May 19th.

Legendary program, great coaches turning out World Cup team quality players, beautiful campus, great facilities, rabid fans, plus a world class education. I just felt comfortable there the first time I saw the campus.

I don't speak Icelandic, but I do speak pictures pretty well.

I am sure that PSU has done their due diligence in ensuring that Fjolnisdottir meets the NCAA's athletic eligibility requirements.

A talent from Iceland doesn't just fall out of the clear blue sky. Cudos to Coach Dambach and Tim Wassel for leaving no stone unturned in bringing top soccer talent to Happy Valley.

I am sure that Soccer and Education, the broker that Fjolnisdottir‘s family paid, knows the NCAA eligibility rules or else they would be out of business. Judging by names, it appears the S&E has placed a lot of players from Iceland and/or other Nordic countries with NCAA programs. Florida State had two Icelanders on their 2014 NCAA championship team, including Dagný Brynjarsdóttir, who was a Hermann trophy finalist and player in the NWSL for a few years.

Sounds like Maria picked Penn State over Florida State (and no doubt many other schools) and I guess she doesn't speak English.

Penn State has minimum English language proficiency standards for all international students whose native language is not English.

Reactions: TheGLOV
eva-alonso.jpg

Well, guess we can scratch "Ava Gonzalez" and say hello to Eva Alonso! Her full name is Eva Alonso-Gonzalez. But she uses just Eva Alonso for media purposes.

https://gopsusports.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/2020

Looks like Alonso plays for Spains U-17 national team. Is only 17 y.o. Has earned 14 caps with the U-17 team. Her club team is Rayo Vallecano of Madrid.

The 2020 class is close to being as talented as the 2019 #1 class. Especially when you factor in that Leah Scapelli a former 4 star recruit with the 2019 recruiting class has transferred out. Class has three 4 star recruits, four 3 star recruits and now the addition of both Eva Alonso and Maria Bjorg Fjolnisdottir; both of whom are at least 4 star talents and its looking like Alonso could actually be a 5 star talent...the more I find out about her soccer exploits.

The 2019 PSU WSOC recruiting class of 8 players, averages out to a 3.875 star rating. The 2020 recruiting class of 9 players, averages out to a 3.555 star rating. So very close. I based that on Alonso being a 4 star, but she could receive a 5 star rating. Eva was named Captain of the U-17 Spanish national team in May of 2019.

Why did that one girl mentioned transfer out?

Queiroz Costa was born in Brazil, was moved to Florida when she was just 4 years old and then at the age of 13 her parents moved to Madrid,Spain. Like Alonso Gonzalez, Queiroz Costa also plays professional soccer. She has played for both the U-17 USWNT and Spain's U-17 WNT. She scored 3 goals in leading Spain to a 4-3 victory over the U.S.U-17 team in 2019.

that would be a nice pick-up. I saw the U-17 match between the USA and Spain, and Queiroz Costa was quite a player.

IMHO, the move is a lot like if say a football player would flip from Penn State to Rutgers or Maryland. Or from Ohio St. to Rutgers or Maryland.

She'll be much closer to home by attending Louisville; BUT Penn State University ranks at #57 in the U.S. News & World Report national rankings, while the University of Louisville ranks at #192. Also Penn State WSOC is a perennial Top 15 soccer program.

The NCAA rules say that for Women's D1 soccer, only 14 full scholarships are available. The head coach of each team has complete say over how that scholarship money is divided up among her roster players. PSU WSOC has 27 players listed (currently) on their 2020 roster. Safe to say that Chester was offered a full scholarship to play soccer at Louisville. And also safe to say that at Penn State she only would have gotten a partial scholarship.

So, the move is a really good move financially for Chester and her parents. But not such a good move athletically and for her soccer career. Coach Dambach has multiple ties/connections with both the USWNT and of course lots of connections within the NWSL. Was reportedly one of five finalists to replace Jill Ellis as the new USWNT head coach. But doesn't want to leave PSU...not now anyhow. I do believe once Vlatko Andonovski is no longer the head coach...that IF offered the position that coach Dambach would accept the position.

Last, the new 2022 commit Alivia Uribe has extensive USGNT experience and more than makes up for the loss of Chester.

My thoughts exactly!

Sort of.

:);););););););););):)

That reminds me of the character on Green Acres Hank Kimball (played by Alvy Moore)...he would start off saying something like: "My thoughts exactly! Well, it's not exactly my thoughts, it's mostly my thoughts. Maybe not mostly my thoughts. It's some of my thoughts. Come to think of it...it's not my thoughts at all!" o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Lol ! I remember!!

Too early to start a 2020 thread? Or is a 2021 thread more appropriate?

I'm pretty close to starting a 2020 thread. I've been holding off because 1) there haven't really been many (or any) articles about the team, and 2) to some extent it remains to be seen if they will have a season.

It's only July. The aforementioned issues will hopefully resolve themselves, and when they do I'll start a 2020 thread.

OT: There's a saying: "Better late than never."

Look for McDaniel to transfer to either Michigan or Michigan State. Her hometown is Inkster, Michigan, which is only about a half hour drive from either school. Ann Arbor to the South and East Lansing to the North. Family would be able to watch her play for her senior year.

There will of course be a waiting period...to give the appearance at least that she wasn't recruited/raided by another B1G school to help her new team win a B1G championship. Think both Michigan or Michigan State would be serious title contenders with McDaniel in their starting lineup.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya! {On your way out}

Bye!!

:);):)

Left Fullback - Wiesner, Carson

Right Fullback - Fjolnisdottir,

Left Center Back - Craft

Right Center Back - Haislip, Olive

The team has a great collection of forwards and middies, as well as a strong group of GKs. My biggest concern with with the team is with the D.

Wiesner started at the beginning of last season as a true freshman, and has extensive USWNT experience at the U-15, U-17, and U-19 level. Alas, her freshman season ended after 8 matches, as she suffered an injury that kept her out the rest of the season. As long as she's fully rehabbed, she should be a strength on the back line.

Fjolnisdottir has a lot of experience from playing in Iceland. I hope she's up for the challenge, but I always worry about true freshman on the back line.

Haislip took a step forward last year as a true soph, when she started the last 15 games of the season.

Craft was a true freshman last year, when she appeared in 9 games. She did seem to get better as the season progressed, and I think she made the B1G Tournament team.

Besides the relative youth of the aforementioned defenders, there isn't a lot behind them. Olive is a true soph, and did play most of the NCAA match against Arizona, but I don't recall a lot more about her freshman season. Carson is a true freshman, and I've already indicated my concerns with true fresh on the back line. Besides them, the only ones that seem to have any D experience are true fresh Eva Alonso (who has played middle and D during her career in Spain) and Kerry Abello, who has experience played F, M, and D, though you have Abello starting on attack, and Alonso as a back-up middle.

Look for McDaniel to transfer to either Michigan or Michigan State. Her hometown is Inkster, Michigan, which is only about a half hour drive from either school. Ann Arbor to the South and East Lansing to the North. Family would be able to watch her play for her senior year.

There will of course be a waiting period...to give the appearance at least that she wasn't recruited/raided by another B1G school to help her new team win a B1G championship. Think both Michigan or Michigan State would be serious title contenders with McDaniel in their starting lineup.

Or maybe Baylor.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Assuming (yeah I know what they say) there even IS a 2020 NCAA college soccer season AND assuming there is an NCAA Tournament; I am going to make a bold prediction: The NCAA champion will finish with a perfect record. No losses and no ties.

Now that we know that much ;) all that remains to be determined is which team will possess that perfect record! Some possible suspects are the Stanford Cardinal, the North Carolina Tar Heels, the Florida State Seminoles, the UCLA Bruins, the Penn State Nittany Lions, the USC Trojans, the Virginia Cavalierrs and the South Carolina Gamecocks.

One of the above teams will win it all in 2020. Write it down. Putting my thinking cap on, and calculating all the possible outcomes for all the teams games, factoring in bad officiating, bad bounces, lousy weather, tsunamis, earthquakes, injured players and so on, I have decided that I have no idea who will win the 2020 NCAA Women's College Cup! :rolleyes:Good luck to all the teams, and I hope that all the players, coaches and fans will all stay safe.

OK, I will give my odds on the above teams winning the title:

1) Stanford - 2 to 1
2) North Carolina - 5 to 2
3) Florida State - 3 to 1
4) UCLA - 4 to 1
5) Penn State - 5 to 1
6) USC - 6 to 1
7) Virginia - 8 to 1
8) South Carolina 10-1

Something like that. :cool:

Where's WVU??

Always tough on our girls!!

Looks like no sports at all. I said this would happen in a post above. They are cancelling GOLF??? Really??? Lacrosse??? Really Soccer??? Really?

Here's an idea just shut everything in the United States down. Schools, universities, business (essential and non-essential) and don't forget while you're at it shut down our military too. Just shut it all down. Everybody just stop living.

Here's the thing in 2021 the presidents and conference heads still won't be happy if there is one person in the country that has Covid-19. Here's another stat for the fear-mongers there are over 700,000 cancer deaths in the United States every year. That is EVERY year. So far a little over 150,000 deaths from Covid-19 in the U.S. One death is too many. BUT here is the thing: They don't close down our schools and businesses for the FLU, CANCER, HEART DISEASE, COPD, AIDS, MULTIPLE OTHER VIRUSES AND ON AND ON.

Again, just shut everything down. Maybe they would be happy if we all just committed hari-kari. Again, no vaccine is perfect if that is what they are waiting for. And most only last for a certain period of time. And so Covid-19 most likely is never ever going to completely go away.....no more sports in America anyhow, write it down. We have FEAR MONGERS AND MASS HYSTERIANS RUNNING OUR INSITUTIONS.

College sports just need to be delayed until 2021 to get past the election in November. I hope the SEC and ACC play this fall!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT